For anyone that thinks we don't have anything in common with other primates...

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,801.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Sadly ID believers tend to change their version of God into a cheap conjurer. He has to continually interfere with life to get it to change over the billions of years of life's existence to get it to today's state. I think that a God that could design the Earth so that life would evolve naturally is much more impressive. A one and done instead of constant, "Oops, I need to nudge this gene here" that ID followers seem to think happened.
I think I understand your position. I just feel it introduces a form of confrontation that is unhelpful to a productive dialogue and there is enough of that on both sides already.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Please don't force the issue. I like having you here.

I share @Tinker Grey 's concern. I value your presence here. I do find it regretable that you were penalised for reminding all members what might generate a warning. I can't figure out why moderators would not welcome that, since it would tend to discourage others making the same error.

Thanks all.

I blanked out that post. I definitely was feeling a bit frustrated and think I just needed a couple days off from the forum.

All better now. :)

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,042.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I think I understand your position. I just feel it introduces a form of confrontation that is unhelpful to a productive dialogue and there is enough of that on both sides already.
I think its fair to say that as long as humans are around into the future, science will extend human knowledge (thus serving to dispel collective ignorance).
I'm not so sure about beliefs in miracles, when they are described in a way that's indistiguishable from 'magic' though(?)

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,655.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No. We are made in the image of God my friend.
I have not been made. I have been conceived, gestated and then was born.
And it wasn't in the image of any god. I am the result of random pairing of my parental chromosomes during the meiosis that formed the gametes that would become me.

• Agree
Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,655.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Trust in God.
You 'll have to show his existence first. Prove it. Beyond doubt.
Then you or him will have to establish his trust worthiness, which goes beyond mere existence.
Trust in His Word.
You 'll have to show that what is claimed to be god's word IS god's word and not a human fabrication. Note that a whole plethora of books and texts have been claimed to be god's words or inspired or dictated by deities of all kind. Show us that your "god's word" is real.

• Agree
Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,655.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Repeating that doesn't make it true.
The first line you mean? It has to be read in context. I was speaking specifically about the Christian God since I was talking to a Christian. For them God has to be honest, if not then they could not trust him when it comes to redemption etc.. Or as I like to debate with them, if God cannot lie (and just about every Christian says the he can not) then Genesis cannot be read literally. Creationists tend not to like that argument since they have no comeback for it.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟932,333.00
Faith
Atheist
The first line you mean? It has to be read in context. I was speaking specifically about the Christian God since I was talking to a Christian. For them God has to be honest, if not then they could not trust him when it comes to redemption etc.. Or as I like to debate with them, if God cannot lie (and just about every Christian says the he can not) then Genesis cannot be read literally. Creationists tend not to like that argument since they have no comeback for it.
@driewerf was quoting Lost for words quoting you. I think that the referenced repetition was lfw's "God DOES exist"..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,655.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
@driewerf was quoting Lost for words quoting you. I think that the referenced repetition was lfw's "God DOES exist"..
High your reading comprehension skills must be .

images

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,801.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I blanked out that post. I definitely was feeling a bit frustrated and think I just needed a couple days off from the forum.
Well done! Earlier this year I think I took two months off to calm down. (I'm not sure it worked. :))

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
...Calling any such suite of beliefs, or the ritual and scripture that derives from them, magic, reduces them to the level of a cheap conjuring trick and I think they are more valuable, potent and meaningful than that. As an analogy, War and Peace is a work of fiction, but it is still true.
There's a difference between illusions, legedermain, & conjuring, and magic...

"'Real magic' refers to the magic that is not real; while the magic that is real, that can actually be done, is not real magic" Lee Siegel.

Upvote 0