Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,908.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not convinced that we know much about frequency with children. We do know that they don't get hospitalized very much. Tests were originally just done with seriously ill people. Even now that they're broader, many sites only test people over 18, and pictures of long lines don't typically show kids in the cars. I'm concerned that we're just not testing them at a high enough rate to have good information.

The problem with schools, of course, is not just risk to children, but risk to teachers and the families of the children. Currently the best data (and it's not very good) suggests that teenagers aren't very different from adults in spreading it, but it's at least possible that kids under 10 are. I say possible because there doesn't seem to be enough data.

Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,751,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Once again:
You move goal posts - 'pre-existing conditions' are not equal to 'life threatening'. Some can be, others are not.

Once again, do children with pre-existing conditions matter less? Should we care and try to prevent their death just like kids without them?

Are you aware that children without pre-existing conditions are getting sick and dying of Covid 19?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You move goal posts - 'pre-existing conditions' are not equal to 'life threatening'. Some can be, others are not.

Once again, do children with pre-existing conditions matter less? Should we care and try to prevent their death?
Are you aware that children without pre-existing conditions

All children matter.

I moved nothing, but after trying twice and getting no answer, I think it's safe to say it is no less safe to kids out there than on a normal day, even a day without Trump as president. Making many points on this thread, no more that a using of a bad situation to bash Trump...very sad.

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
6 hours south of the Golden Dome of the University
✟512,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

No evidence to believe you’ve been reinfected four times. Scant evidence, and really some say no evidence, anyone has been reinfected.

There are documented cases of people whose immune system did not completely clear their body of the virus, and a phenomenon known as “long haulers,” people with the virus or lingering symptoms for 2-4 months after infection.

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
✟512,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What do you mean it doesn't matter to me? Are you trying to say I don't care about the deaths of children, because that is what it sounds like? And if so, did you just make that up out of pure meanness, or did you have a viable reason for the comment? And if you had a reason, please produce it, or tell me why "That is what it sounds like", as I saw no such indication of that whatsoever.

Kids die from flu every year, this is common knowledge and some with no preexisting conditions, very likely if not definitely die from average flues. Those deaths are tragic, but are not Trumps fault. And my simply commenting on it, most certainly doesn't mean I don't care about the lives of children.

Okay. What precisely are you deducing from this information or what do you seek others to deduce?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Okay. What precisely are you deducing from this information or what do you seek others to deduce?

I was pretty clear and the one to whom it was directed seemed to understand it, so, that will suffice.

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
✟512,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And why would you think you had to clarity something if you didn't question if it was a fact to begin with?

Pretty much an accusation as far as I'm concerned. Now all that remains is why the question/accusation in the first place? Since I got no answer, I'll assume there was no viable reason.

We put them in that and many other situations when we send them out of the house. Are you saying the life threatening conditions are worse now than any other time?

Are those other un-named “conditions/situations” contagious to others? Can they infect over 5 million people and counting in the U.S.? Can those conditions/situation infect the children’s parents and orphan them? I have read too many articles of kids who have lost a parent or both to COVID-19.

You are comparing apples to oranges when referencing this nebulous other “conditions” and “situations” unless they are as infectious as COVID-19 and accompanied with the same or similar overall mortality rate.

Hold up you may say, few kids die from COVID-19, very, very few. This would almost be an ineluctable argument if the kids lived on an island. But the kids do not live on an island, they live in an interconnected, interdependent society, that requires human to human interaction in a collective amount of innumerable times a day.

The point is the lack of fatal harm to the child is a myopic view. Children can pass the virus to their teachers, coaches, daycare workers, baby sitters, parents, aunts, uncles, dentist, pediatrician, nurses, camp counselors (Georgia summer camp super spreading event) etcetera. The fact the children (age 17 and below) will survive isn’t a comfort if they are spreading it elsewhere and compounding community transmission.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,751,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
All children matter.

I moved nothing, but after trying twice and getting no answer, I think it's safe to say it is no less safe to kids out there than on a normal day, even a day without Trump as president. Making many points on this thread, no more that a using of a bad situation to bash Trump...very sad.
Very sad that you are ignoring what I wrote in the OP and that comments like this were made by Trump and DeVoss:
again...

Trump says children unlikely to catch coronavirus, unconcerned about reports of infections

"I think for the most part, [kids] don't get very sick, they don't catch it very easily, and ... they don't transfer it to other people, or certainly not very easily," Trump said.

However, health experts say the evidence is far from clear, and recent studies have found infections in children of all ages.

Data from the American Academy of Pediatrics published Monday found that more than 97,000 children tested positive for COVID-19 during the last two weeks of July, more than a quarter of the total number of children diagnosed nationwide since March.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/07/23/devoss-claim-that-children-are-stoppers-covid-19/

“More and more studies show that kids are actually stoppers of the disease and they don’t get it and transmit it themselves, so we should be in a posture of — the default should be getting back to school kids in person, in the classroom.”

— Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, in an interview on “The Conservative Circus” (iHeart radio), July 16
How many Republican governors and school superintendents and supporters actually listen to that and believe? How many think it is great to send kids to school because kids 'don't get the virus or spread it'?

Example:
More than 800 required to quarantine in Georgia school district that doesn't require masks

More than 820 students and 40 teachers in a Georgia school district will have to quarantine after coming into contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case just one week after classes started.

The Cherokee County School District in the Atlanta metro area reported on its website that 826 students and 40 teachers at 20 elementary, middle and high schools will need to quarantine for 14 days. It is not clear how many people in the district have tested positive for COVID-19.​

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
✟512,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was pretty clear and the one to whom it was directed seemed to understand it, so, that will suffice.

Yeah comparing flu deaths of kids to deaths of kids from COVID-19 is a myopic perspective, as it ignores the other harms of kids contracting the virus.

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
✟512,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Very safe play, no doubt. Easier to avoid explicitly stating the deduction, thereby always leaving the door open of plausible denial that X, Y, or Z is the deduction you are making.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I completely agree.
Eugenics and sacrificing anyone so we can be rich/inconvenienced is an unacceptable thought process which actually has a label in mental health.

I find the social acceptability of narcissistic, but ultimately self-sabotaging logic, the most saddening and distressing thing in this pandemic.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find the social acceptability of narcissistic, but ultimately self-sabotaging logic, the most saddening and distressing thing in this pandemic.
I agree...
That's been the most disheartening thing with this pandemic. Even many people I call friends are behaving this way.
A morality pill instead of a Covid cure would be better.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A general comment for the thread:

I personally, and this is just me, would be ashamed of myself for using such a sad situation, as in the death of children to get at Trump/others.
I personally would be ashamed of myself for discouraging the use of masks and social distancing in order to get at Non-Trumpers. But that’s just me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then don't do that.
I never have.

I do feel I have to apologize for the tone of my post. I appreciate that you and I both care about the loves of others.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As a construction worker I have to manage risk constantly...it's an inherently dangerous job. As an electrician, the odds of me getting hurt grows exponentially verses the other trades.

And in all reality it's a numbers game.
I can do things in an unsafe manner and the chances are I won't get hurt.

But

So many unsafe actions distill into a number of close calls.

So many close calls distill into a number of minor incidents that will harm finished product, equipment, or myself.

So many minor incidents distill into a number of serious incidents that will cause me permanent harm or loss of life.

And I firmly believe that the same thing is true with Covid-19...I can run around without a mask anywhere and everywhere not actually seeing the close calls and those getting injured around me until the day comes that I'm sick and have infected countless others in the process.

Sure...I've risked my life...but all those others?
I can't do it or suggest that others should.

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
✟512,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My point on this thread remains the same, so not much sense in continuing to make the same argument when it hasn't been proven wrong as of yet.

That is an interesting approach. The person who made the point, and has a vested interest in the veracity of their point, declares their point “hasn’t been proven wrong as of yet.” You don’t say?

Here’s what I do know. You made some remarks about “other” nebulous situations, in comparison to COVID-19, and asked whhrer life threatening conditions are “worse now than before.”

The objection to this line of reasoning is the same as before. Those other situations may not be parallel to Covid-19 and COVID-19 may result in life threatening conditions “worse now than before.”

And there’s plenty of evidence supporting the conclusion of “worse now than before” because of COVID 19.

Regardless, you’ve not made an ineluctable argument, despite your protestations to the contrary.

The specific vague and under developed point you made that I addressed has been legitimately questioned and criticized.

• Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Teen girl in Southern California dies of COVID-19. But not to worry, everyone, Orange County authorities say she had "significant underlying medical conditions."

The number of Covid-19 cases among children nationwide recently increased 90% over four weeks, according to data released last week by the American Academy of Pediatrics. "We've had 90 deaths in children in the United States already, in just a few months," Dr. Sean O'Leary, vice-chair of the AAP Committee on Infectious Diseases, told CNN last week.

Upvote 0