Flat Earth? Not Far From The Truth.

46AND2

Forty six and two are just ahead of me...
Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But, but, but...

The earth's surface moves at 1000 miles/hour.

An airplane moves at about 500 miles/hour.

When flying, why doesn't the earth move faster than the airplane?

The earth's surface AND THE EARTH'S ATMOSPHERE move at 1000 mph. The 500 mph of the airplane is an additional velocity.

It's no different than if you throw a ball out the window of a moving car toward the front of the vehicle. Relative to YOU, that ball is not travelling any faster than you can throw it. Relative to an observer standing on the side of the road, the ball is moving with an additional velocity from the moving vehicle.

Reactions: thehehe
Upvote 0

Messenger 3k

Aug 4, 2018
New Jersey
✟38,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The earth's surface AND THE EARTH'S ATMOSPHERE move at 1000 mph. The 500 mph of the airplane is an additional velocity.

It's no different than if you throw a ball out the window of a moving car toward the front of the vehicle. Relative to YOU, that ball is not travelling any faster than you can throw it. Relative to an observer standing on the side of the road, the ball is moving with an additional velocity from the moving vehicle.

But, but, but...

Me still no understand.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,091.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
But, but, but...

Me feel like you people have no answer, but make up lie with big dictionary word.

Are you just trolling us now? Because it's not a very complex concept to understand.

Upvote 0

Messenger 3k

Aug 4, 2018
New Jersey
✟38,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are you just trolling us now? Because it's not a very complex concept to understand.

But, but, but...

I'm down on earth, I look up, I see plane moving at 500 miles/hour. I can tell it's moving.

I'm up in airplane. I look down, I see earth moving at 500 miles/hour net speed. I can't tell it's moving.

Why??

Earth not moving??

Upvote 0

46AND2

Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But, but, but...

I'm down on earth, I look up, I see plane moving at 500 miles/hour. I can tell it's moving.

I'm up in airplane. I look down, I see earth moving at 500 miles/hour net speed. I can't tell it's moving.

Why??

Earth not moving??

Let's say you are on a moving carousel, on the outermost horse. Your kid is riding on the innermost horse. If you block off any view of a frame of reference, IOW put a box around the two of you so you can't see any surroundings, can you see your kid spinning around in circles?

In this analogy, you are like a hovering helicopter. Your kid is standing on the ground. The earth and atmosphere is the carousel.

Back to the carousel. You start walking around the outer circumference of the carousel. Your kid can see you moving. You can't see your kid moving. Yet your kid is spinning on a carousel. Now you are like your plane observation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,091.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The sky with clouds is your frame of reference. You can easily detect the plane moving relative to that frame of reference.
That's because the earth is your frame of reference. The earth is not moving relative to itself. If you were to look at the earth from far enough away, such as the moon, the space around the earth would now be your frame of reference and you could easily see the earth moving within that frame of reference.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

46AND2

Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wrong analogy.

No it isn't. Same principle. But, for your benefit, I also posted a better one in the next post....which I suspect you'll either ignore or respond with moving goalposts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Have you ever been in an aircraft? Yes, you see the earth moving relative to the aircraft. If the aircraft is moving at 500 miles/hour relative to the ground, then you see 500 miles worth of ground pass every hour.

The rotational velocity of the earth's surface, however, is common to the earth's surface, the aircraft, and the atmosphere, so you don't see that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

46AND2

Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But, but, but...

Why many different answer??

If earth really moving, me should get one answer.

You people make up lie with big dictionary word??

It IS one answer, worded differently. Not our fault you don't understand what we are explaining to you.

• Agree
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,102.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
But, but, but...

Why many different answer??

If earth really moving, me should get one answer.

You people make up lie with big dictionary word??
Since you fail to understand one answer the optimists amongst us offer you additional answers. This is good pedagogy.

The pessimists, in this context, simply think "You can lead a horse to water, but sometimes all you are left wanting to do is drown the brute".

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟183,262.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Not really. First, because there were stars to see in the sky, and astronomy alone proves that the world is round.

Stars can orbit a flat earth just as easily as sun and moon can.

And second, because you can see the curve at sea, as ships go "hull down."

Most people throughout time would not have noticed that.

Hence my saying that "the Earth was flat for most people for all of time before dependence on communication satelites".

Upvote 0