Flat earth beliefs are totally in error.

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The big point with the Coriolis Effect is that storms rotate in opposite directions in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres.
This is the one and only place that people can apply the "coriolis" effect and have anything to show for it.. that would be explainable... However, as was pointed out.. this is not always the case with storms. See post 410.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
No ... they all moved ... as they are relatively positioned ... with respect to Polaris, as well as to one another.

IOW ...the entire star map changed position ...
These stars. the many that make up the historical constellations, are all at varying distances, in light years, from our vantage point.

They may be relatively positioned for viewing today.. but thousands of years ago, they would of had to be different.. Just driving down the road.. two trees at varying distances will change relative positions and angles from the viewer.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
We know the planets are spheres so why would the earth be the odd one out and be flat as a pancake?
This is common when you are thinking as a globe view... Yes, if we were formed by the big bang, and all planets are spheres... why, if we were also created in the big bang... would we not be a sphere.

However, the FE does not hold to that method of creation. God made the earth and then put the stars and sun and moon into the firmament..

Thus, there is no connection of the shapes.

However, it's tough to view things in a different manner than that that you have been taught your entire life to be true.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I cannot find post 432.
I started this thread because I am old, confused, but entitled to my opinion. I respect the opinion of flat earthers but they are wrong. Apologies for my error when typing the title.
Thank you for your prayers, I too pray for everyone, even the very wicked ones. It was never my intention to challenge anyone. I did not know that flat earthers were so sensitive. I have learnt a lot about the flat earth idea in this thread, but also the counter-arguments. I believe God is guiding me to the truth here as my opinion is being fortified. Many thanks to all, those for and those against a flat earth. I will try to study the Scriptures quoted with an open heart, even if my mind is closed. As I have already said, we must all humble ourselves before God.
Don't know how I got # 432 Try 399?

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I cannot find post 432.
I started this thread because I am old, confused, but entitled to my opinion. I respect the opinion of flat earthers but they are wrong. Apologies for my error when typing the title.
Thank you for your prayers, I too pray for everyone, even the very wicked ones. It was never my intention to challenge anyone. I did not know that flat earthers were so sensitive.
It's not about FE'er being "sensitive". They have a view and you challenged it with your title. Calling them sensitive... is like a dig.. a put down...
Like the globe people do not argue with the same vigor and passion as the FE'ers?

I'm not a true FE'er or a glober... I'm confused by what I see and searching for truth.

However, I do get annoyed when people come on and say "why hasn't anyone fallen off the edge"? .. and "how can you fly around a flat earth"? or..... "how do the seasons and days work".... It's annoying that people don't research the view of the topic that they are going to dispute.

I have learnt a lot about the flat earth idea in this thread, but also the counter-arguments. I believe God is guiding me to the truth here as my opinion is being fortified. Many thanks to all, those for and those against a flat earth. I will try to study the Scriptures quoted with an open heart, even if my mind is closed. As I have already said, we must all humble ourselves before God.
God bless.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
We know the planets are spheres so why would the earth be the odd one out and be flat as a pancake?
In response to your "^_^" to my post about Israel and their moon shot..

Do you not think it rude of the Israeli's to keep their secret from the world effort to go to mars? I mean really.. if they can go through the Van Allen belts....like it's a walk in the park or a trip to the wailing wall... why not tell the geeks at NASA.. the whole program is costing 53 million dollars a day.

These new geeks at NASA can't seem to send anyone past about 200 miles up without frying them.. Meanwhile, their grandfathers did it, no sweat, in the 60's and 70's with a tin can.. and now..... well now... Israel is throwing caution to the wind and pulling a page from Allan Bean and "well we must have gone right though it".. Cause.. what the heck... it's just a radiation belt.. Sheesh.:yawn::yawn:

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is the one and only place that people can apply the "coriolis" effect and have anything to show for it.. that would be explainable... However, as was pointed out.. this is not always the case with storms. See post 410.
From post 410 ... "3. Regarding the coriolis effect, the fact is not all storms consistently rotate clockwise in the N. Hemisphere and counter-clockwise in the S. Hemisphere."

I can find no evidence of large rotating storms not rotating according to the Coriolis Effect.

Is there some evidence of this that can be shared ... ???

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
These stars. the many that make up the historical constellations, are all at varying distances, in light years, from our vantage point.

They may be relatively positioned for viewing today.. but thousands of years ago, they would of had to be different.. Just driving down the road.. two trees at varying distances will change relative positions and angles from the viewer.

They were in different positions, ... though you weren't alive to see them, ... and you might not have been able to tell the difference. These are the things which scientists study ...

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
They were in different positions, ... though you weren't alive to see them, ... and you might not have been able to tell the difference. These are the things which scientists study ...
Seriously? The amount of time that has gone by and the distance that we have traveled in those years.... the constellations would not have even existed then... or would not exist now.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seriously? The amount of time that has gone by and the distance that we have traveled in those years.... the constellations would not have even existed then... or would not exist now.
Or ... maybe your sense of timing ... is a wee bit off ...

"A day with the Lord is as a thousand years ... and a thousand years is as a day."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,013,456.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
This is common when you are thinking as a globe view... Yes, if we were formed by the big bang, and all planets are spheres... why, if we were also created in the big bang... would we not be a sphere.

However, the FE does not hold to that method of creation. God made the earth and then put the stars and sun and moon into the firmament..

However, it's tough to view things in a different manner than that that you have been taught your entire life to be true.

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,555.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My argument is that the disciples witnessed it while God dictated the creation to Moses...

Bible is not dictated.

And this short sentence changes the perspective, right? Now, the Earth can be globe.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,555.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They probably do not believe there are other planets and moon and sun are just lights, not real objects.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,555.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
or..... "how do the seasons and days work".... It's annoying that people don't research the view of the topic that they are going to dispute.
And probably neither did you, because you do not have any answer that works, regarding the flat earth.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Bible is not dictated.

And this short sentence changes the perspective, right? Now, the Earth can be globe.

I don't want to dwell on this too much.. But.. God wrote the 10 commandments with His finger in the rock.... He also dictated or gave the Torah to Moses at Mount Sinai.

Also, as been presented here before, Adam knew Methuselah. Methuselah knew Shem and Shem knew Issac and Jacob....Long lives allowed the truth to be told without being told over 1000's of years and many many generations, as it would be today. Long lives meant fresh eye witness facts could be told with accuracy over a couple of thousand years.

From Wiki:

According to rabbinic tradition, all of the teachings found in the Torah, both written and oral, were given by God through the prophet Moses, some at Mount Sinai and others at the Tabernacle, and all the teachings were written down by Moses, which resulted in the Torah that exists today.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

We don't believe that the planets are spheres ... because we believe in the Big Bang.

We believe that the planets are spheres ... because we can SEE them through telescopes. We SEE them as SPHERICAL ... and ROTATING.

Like this image of Jupiter ... from the Hubble telescope ...

Note that you can see this same shape and rotation ... from a telescope in your backyard ...

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
They probably do not believe there are other planets and moon and sun are just lights, not real objects.
Now that everyday people have optics that can take pictures of the planets, we are seeing some surprising images that would suggest that the "paintings" that NASA has been feeding us for the last half century, may not be as real as we have been lead to believe.

Check these actual pictures out:

fe-mars.jpg

upload_2019-4-12_6-50-18.jpeg

fe-saturn.jpg

upload_2019-4-12_6-50-58.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
We don't believe that the planets are spheres ... because we believe in the Big Bang.

We believe that the planets are spheres ... because we can SEE them through telescopes. We SEE them as SPHERICAL ... and ROTATING.

Like this image of Jupiter ... from the Hubble telescope ...

Note that you can see this same shape and rotation ... from a telescope in your backyard ...
Hubble.... really?

The pictures that we are fed... and are claimed to be images fro Hubble... are fabricated..

When Hubble beams down images, astronomers have to make many adjustments, such as adding color and patching multiple photos together, to that raw data before the space observatory's images are released to the public.

Hubble doesn't use color film (or any film at all) to create its images. Instead, it operates much like a digital camera, using what's called a CCD (charge-coupled device) to record incoming photons of light. [Spectacular Photos From The Revamped Hubble Space Telescope]

Hubble's CCD cameras don't measure the color of the incoming light directly. But the telescope does have various filters that can be applied to let in only a specific wavelength range, or color, of light. Hubble can detect light throughout the visible spectrum, plus ultraviolet and infrared light which is invisible to human eyes.

"Creating color images out of the original black-and-white exposures is equal parts art and science," NASA said.

• Haha
Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Now that everyday people have optics that can take pictures of the planets, we are seeing some surprising images that would suggest that the "paintings" that NASA has been feeding us for the last half century, may not be as real as we have been lead to believe.

Check these actual pictures out:

fe-mars.jpg

View attachment 254542
fe-saturn.jpg

View attachment 254543
Of course ... all photos rely upon the telescopic/photographic capability and skill of the photographer.

Finally a transit! - Sky & Telescope

Planet Pictures: Amazing Photos from our Readers | Sky & Telescope

2019-02-18_5c6b3bf654838_Semttulo.png

Upvote 0

mcarans

Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2018
Wellington
✟136,444.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am wondering how Christians who do believe the Bible was pretty much dictated by God but don't believe in a flat earth respond to these points from flat earthers?
  1. Joshua 10:13: "And the sun stood still, and the moon stopped, until the nation took vengeance on their enemies. Is this not written in the Book of Jashar? The sun stopped in the midst of heaven and did not hurry to set for about a whole day."
    "Another interesting example from Scripture is found in Joshua 10 where God caused the "sun to stand still. If the sun is the center of the galaxy and the earth is orbiting around it, then for this event to occur, it would have to have been the earth standing still, not the sun, however. If the earth is flat and the sun and moon rotate above us, it would make perfect sense for the sun to stand still in order to prolong the day here." from here.

2. Matthew 4:8 "Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory."
    Another interesting verse for me is when Jesus is taken up to a high mountain by Satan and shown the kingdoms of the world.Notice that this mountain was "very high." In the Greek here, the word for high is "hupselos" and means literally high or lofty. Add to that the Greek word "very" which is "lian" and we now have a very intentional description of this.
    If the world is a ball, the higher one goes the less one would be seeing of the earth because the curvature would constantly be falling and you would have to look further and further down, however. If the earth were flat, then the higher you go, the more you see while the horizon stays at eye level. The horizon rises to the eye. It seems to me that Jesus was taken to very high mountain and could literally see all of the kingdoms of the world.
    Some may respond with objections to this interpretation suggesting that this particular event is merely speaking symbolically. To that I would ask, what were the kingdoms a symbol of if not of real literal kingdoms? Was Satan a symbol as well? What about Jesus? Was He a symbol too? Obviously that sort of interpretation for this particular verse does not work at all." from here.

3. “The Genesis creation story provides the first key to the Hebrew cosmology. The order of creation makes no sense from a conventional perspective but is perfectly logical from a flat-earth viewpoint. The earth was created on the first day, and it was “without form and void (Genesis 1:2).” On the second day, a vault the “firmament” of the King James version was created to divide the waters, some being above and some below the vault. Only on the fourth day were the sun, moon, and stars created, and they were placed “in” (not “above”) the vault.” from here.

• Agree
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0