• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Fired For Being White

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Ana the Ist, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Ana the Ist

Ana the Ist Aggressively serene!

+5,415
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Ann Arbor principal says she was forced out for being white, files $5M lawsuit

A principal in Ann Arbor, Michigan, claims that she was fired for being white....

The principal is claiming that when they lost a black assistant principal, a new one was brought in immediately....bypassing the normal hiring process. She claims she was effectively forced out to make room for the black assistant principal to takeover her job....

What do you think? Was she being pushed out for legitimate reasons? Or was she pushed out to give her job to a minority?

By "pushed out"...it sounds like they placed her on paid leave and refused her entry to the school for so long that she had to quit so she could pay her bills. It's a tactic commonly used when there's no legitimate reason to fire someone.

What do you think? Institutional racism against whites....or no big deal? Is she lying....or has a legitimate gripe?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+2,815
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    I want to wait until more facts come out, but this if true

makes me think the admin leave was justified.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  3. Zoii

Zoii Well-Known Member

+3,071
    Australia
    Seeker
    Single
    Sounds like a disgruntled employee with no balanced facts to determine the truth of the matter

4. NightHawkeye

NightHawkeye Work-in-progress Supporter

+7,528
    Methodist
    Married
    It might depend on the color of the custodian who stole $25,000.

What is obvious is that Ann Arbor has far more black representation in administrative positions than is reflective of either the general community or the country at large. Are blacks punished by being forced into administrative positions there ... or are these positions coveted by blacks?

5. jayem

jayem Naturalist

+3,814
    Atheist
    Married
    Not enough info to give an informed opinion.

Off-topic: I lived in AA for 3 years in the late 70s doing post-grad training at the U of M. A great little town in most respects. But some of the public services back then were wanting. Like the worst pot-holes I've ever seen, that took forever to get filled. I'm talking championship tire and suspension killers. You'd think a civilized northern city would have better street maintenance.

6. rambot

rambot Senior Member

+4,913
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Greens
    Fired for being white seems undersupported by facts presented.

7. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+10,773
    Christian
    Married
    Of course, we can reply as you usually do: Not enough information to make an opinion.

8. Ana the Ist

+5,415
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    That's never stopped you before RD

9. thecolorsblend

thecolorsblend If God is your Father, who is your Mother?

+5,377
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    The beauty of this is that legal proceedings will hopefully result in the truth coming to light and, hopefully, justice being served.

Until then, there's nothing wrong with keeping an open mind.

10. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+10,773
    Christian
    Married
    But is the "normal process" normally a simple transfer of a school official from one post to a post of the identical level within the school district? Or is the "normal process" normally involve hiring someone from outside the district or promoting a teacher to an administrative position? There might be two different processes that are both "normal" involving different hiring situations.

That doesn't make any sense unless the new assistant principal has been promoted to principal and they've hired another assistant principal.

There is the issue of the embezzling custodian, which appears to be the only negative factor against the principal, and that's pretty sketchy. However, that's only a matter of the sheerest hearsay. I'd think a halfway decent reporter would have been able to get some corroboration on that.

How that plays out will have a significant influence on this case, inasmuch as it's the only thing the board seems to have against her.

The bolded portion doesn't make any sense.

11. Ana the Ist

+5,415
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    A valid point....I don't know. It seems like the complaint is suggesting that from her experience regarding the hiring of assistant principals, it was unusual.

Which the article doesn't say. I don't know who is currently principal.

Yeah any embezzlement is bad...but it seems like a rather small amount daily, it's not like the principal left 25k on her desk and went home for the night.

That, or it could be made up....hard to say.

Yeah, assuming that it's a real thing.

I'm assuming paid leave like most jobs is based upon a "minimum hours worked" type of setup. You get paid, but it's not what you'd get paid if you were actually working.

I could be wrong though.

12. Ana the Ist

+5,415
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Here's an article with some more details...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.w...s-suing-racial-discrimination/?outputType=amp

"Thus it looks like it might be better if you spend this time on Administrative Leave to look for administrative or teaching jobs outside of Ann Arbor,” he wrote, according to the lawsuit. “It appears HRS has a strong case against you for termination. If that happens, you won’t get any administrative or teaching job anywhere in Michigan and criminal charges could also occur.”

An Ann Arbor police spokeswoman did not return an immediate request for information about whether there were any criminal investigations at the school. A spokesman told MLive on Monday that it had no reports about overbilling at the school."

So it's possible that the whole "janitor embezzlement" thing was just a story given to her to try and scare her into quitting. Hard to say.

This also seems relevant...

"During this time, she asks that you please respect her privacy,” it said. Blick says that she never gave the school district permission to speak on her behalf.

She met with administrators on May 7. At one meeting, the lawsuit says, she was “slandered and defamed” by an administrator who made “outrageous, humiliating, inhumane and patently false accusations regarding Ms. Blick’s conduct, purportedly on and off work premises."

My guess is that whatever was said to her during that meeting is what caused her to conclude this was racial discrimination.