✟7,859.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hello,

I've been exploring my faith the past few years, and especially having moved to a new city (Salt Lake City, Utah, to be exact) I feel this is a good time to look around and find a denomination and congregation that fits. I was raised in the Church of Christ (Restoration Movement), and I greatly enjoyed the community there. Unfortunately, due in part to the lack of a central governing body there can be vast differences between congregations of Churches of Christ, some tend to be considerably more judgemental, and I've been giving thought to an older denomination.

Theology is something I'm still learning a great deal about, and thus I would like to find a church with good theological roots. I would generally consider myself leaning towards an Arminian understanding of predestination. It is also important to me to find a congregation in a denomination that is accepting of scientists and people that don't hold a literal interpretation of the days of creation. This is something that has burned me in the past, and it's never pleasant to see how people change when they here you're a scientist. "Oh, one of those," they seem to say.

Anyways. Anyone have suggestions? I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have to help with your suggestions!

-Josh

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Hello,

I've been exploring my faith the past few years, and especially having moved to a new city (Salt Lake City, Utah, to be exact) I feel this is a good time to look around and find a denomination and congregation that fits. I was raised in the Church of Christ (Restoration Movement), and I greatly enjoyed the community there. Unfortunately, due in part to the lack of a central governing body there can be vast differences between congregations of Churches of Christ, some tend to be considerably more judgemental, and I've been giving thought to an older denomination.

Theology is something I'm still learning a great deal about, and thus I would like to find a church with good theological roots. I would generally consider myself leaning towards an Arminian understanding of predestination. It is also important to me to find a congregation in a denomination that is accepting of scientists and people that don't hold a literal interpretation of the days of creation. This is something that has burned me in the past, and it's never pleasant to see how people change when they here you're a scientist. "Oh, one of those," they seem to say.

Anyways. Anyone have suggestions? I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have to help with your suggestions!

-Josh

Hello. :)

I think it's great that you're trying to learn more. I've been there (& I'm always wanting to learn more)! Research can really help sort things out.

Based on what you've offered, I think one of the Mainline Protestant churches would be what you're looking for. Specifically, the Episcopal Church & the United Methodist Church came to my mind reading your post. (I'm in the Episcopal Church.)

Congregations of any denomination can vary some, based on region, etc, so that's something to keep in mind if you visit. If you have any other criteria, that could help pinpoint a specific choice, but I definetly think an option in the Mainline will fit.

Good luck.

Reactions: ProfessorJ
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You've probably thought of the most obvious one--The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).

If not, I'd make that your first stop.

If this isn't acceptable, I'd recommend the Methodists, either the liberal United Methodist Church or the conservative Free Methodist Church. Their worship is more ceremonial than the CsOfC, but there is a great similarity in theological tone and emphases.

None of these churches, by the way, would have the attitude about science that you are concerned about and may have experienced in your former church.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,563.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi Josh, I'm in S.L.C. I've visited many congregations here but sadly to say I've not visited either the Church of Christ or Methodist as Albion suggested. By the way Albion is an excellent source when it comes to the particulars of the different denominational doctrines and practices. I'll keep my eye on the thread and if there's anything I can chime in on I'll let you know.

Upvote 0

ProfessorJ

Oct 30, 2006
Morgantown, West Virginia
✟7,859.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
A quick thank you to everyone for their input!

Disciples of Christ are one that I'm somewhat familiar with, although in my personal experience the biggest difference between the Disciples and the CoC is that Disciples have instruments. They did both originate from the Stone-Campbell Movement, so I understand why they're closely related (and relatively young) denominations.

I have been thinking about 'trying out' Methodist congregations. I know that is where my family attended in past generations and that their theology is probably most similar to my own.

Lutheran churches have also been in my consideration, mostly due to the focus on grace and my respect for Luther, although I'm not sure I agree with their view of predestination, depending on how much that's emphasized.

The issues with science and perceptions thereof tended to occur when I would attend churches with my friends, who lived in smaller southern towns and attended smaller southern churches.

And Tigger45, it's great to hear from someone else in town!

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
A quick thank you to everyone for their input!

Disciples of Christ are one that I'm somewhat familiar with, although in my personal experience the biggest difference between the Disciples and the CoC is that Disciples have instruments.

There are more differences than that, but the reason I mentioned the Disciples was because of this comment of yours: "Unfortunately, due in part to the lack of a central governing body there can be vast differences between congregations of Churches of Christ, some tend to be considerably more judgemental"

Perhaps the biggest difference (and the reason for the split between them and the CsofC) is that the Disciples adopted a national system of governance that was a departure from the original idea of strict local autonomy. This has made for much more uniformity, congregation to congregation. Of course, you have to like what the uniformity amounts to. ;)

Upvote 0