• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Final stumpers for Creationists

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by Franc28, May 8, 2002.

1. Neo

Neo the one

+18
    I would just like to point out that we did not evolve from apes, but we do share a common ancestor with them. ;)

2. unworthyone

unworthyone Yes this is me! Like my glasses?

+1
    Look who's talking. You have a ZERO chance right now.

3. Neo

Neo the one

+18
    I'm taking no greater a chance than you. Did you forget it's also possible that nothing happens at all when we die?

4. TScott

TScott Curmudgeon

+145
    Non-Denom
    US-Democrat
    That's closer to the Hindu idea of Nirvanna. If you live the perfect life and reach Nirvanna, you are rewarded with the blissful nothingness of the void. Otherwise you are born again into the suffering known as life.

5. jon1101

jon1101 Well-Known Member

+5
    Christian
    Please explain...

-jon

6. mac_philo

mac_philo Veteran

+4
    Atheist
    Yes-- it's a well known fact that the Pope and Stephen Jay Gould only believe in evolution to justify their lascivious, libertine lifestyles.

7. No gods

No gods Buttercup Atheist

+1
    Atheist
    Really? I'd say IF there was a god, and it wasn't YOUR god, he'd probably be a little happier with me than you. I don't worship a false god like you do. I'd think the "real" god would be proud of his creation for not blindly following the mistakes of past civilizations. :D

8. papakapp

papakapp a waterdrop going over niagra falls

+22
    Christian
    Are you refering to the term 'very good'?
    Read Isaiah 11:5-9
    It seems to me that God considers predatorial animals and 'survival of the fittest' and other evolutionary concepts to be sub-optimal.

9. rssllue

rssllue New Member

+0
    I don't know about all of these off-shoot discussions and posts, though interesting they may be, but the original genesis of the thread, if someone still really WANTS answers to their questions for the validity of faith in God creating the heavens and the earth in six days like the Bible says, then I might have an answer to your questions. I am not very knowlegable on this issue yet, but there is a man I know of who is and I encourage you to visit his website and get a hold of him if you want answers to your ponderings. He is Kent Hovind and is at www.drdino.com and he has much to say about science backing up creation and not evolution. Check it and him out. God bless.

10. blakader

blakader New Member

+0

11. Neo

Neo the one

+18
    lol, that's not evidence.

12. mac_philo

mac_philo Veteran

+4
    Atheist
    It is also a bald-faced lie; Gould has done everything he can to get the word out that creationists are misrepresenting his views, yet here we are again, within another religion-sanctioned lie.

Gould does not say that species are generated fully formed, nor does he have any doubts about the theory of evolution as a hole. He has internal objections to evolution, because he believes in 'punctuated equilibrium.'

Have you ever even read Gould? He couldn't state his anti-creationist position any more literally--he is disgusted by the way creationists appropriate and distort his arguments. Go and read him before you misuse him.

13. No gods

No gods Buttercup Atheist

+1
    Atheist

14. seebs

seebs God Made Me A Skeptic

+1,462
    Seeker
    Married
    US-Republican
    I'd like to object more strongly to this, but I'm obliged to grant that the people sanctioning this almost certainly *do* know that it's a lie.

I'm not a huge fan of Gould's ethical record in scholarship, but he deserves way better than this.

15. blakader

blakader New Member

+0
    The Big bang is evidence of some creation event. It couldn't just happen from nothing. For from nothing comes nothing. Since time disn't exsist before the big bang something outside of time was the creator. The God of the bible fits nicely

THe other quote was from

THE SCIENTIFIC CASE AGAINST EVOLUTION
    by Dr. Phil Fernandes
    A chapter from his doctoral dissertation

Marvin Lubenow, Bones of Contention (Grand Rapids: Baker Book House, 1992

Morris, Science and the Bible

16. blakader

blakader New Member

+0

Hmmm here is a nice theory of evolution. But wait the fossil record doesn't show the evidence. Thats ok because of 'punctuated equilibrium' Whew close one

The theory doens't hold up. You have to presuppose evolution is true to belive in 'punctuated equilibrium'
    Thats not good scientific reasoning

17. mac_philo

mac_philo Veteran

+4
    Atheist
    Note the classic, paradigm example of the intellectual bankruptcy of creationism.

I point out that he misappropriated Gould, and that he frankly lied about what Gould is saying.

Does he respond honorably? Does he say, "You're right; Gould does not say that. But here is why I am right anyway regarding the content..."?

No. He ignores the fact that he lied, and states something impenetrable about how you have to 'assume' evolution to prove it, and that it is a nice 'theory.'

Witness it carefully, my peers. This is the type of "scholarship" that the school boards in Kansas and Ohio are trying to use to corrupt innocent students.

18. blakader

blakader New Member

+0
    Ok If I'm so wrong about Gould why don't you tell me what he meant. I thought it was a great quote tell me what he really said then.
    Btw I in no way lied about what Gould said. As far as I know thats as an acccurate quote. A Lie is knowingly telling an untruth

But forget Gould
    Did not Stephen Hawking noted theoretical astrophysicist declared that the universe could not exist without a creator.

A tiny fraction of a second before the "big bang," all the rules of physics cease to operate. BUT WHAT HAPPENED BEFORE THAT? No one can explain...except God.

Even Fred Hoyle, who is a stolid anti-creationist, admitted the statistical impossibility of macro evolution. "Impossible" is his word, not mine. In fact, he was so convinced that life could not have originated on earth by chance (and so against the concept of a divine creator) that he started popularizing the theory of panspermia -- the idea that aliens planted life here, or some asteroid carried alien DNA to earth, where it evolved from there.

19. Jerry Smith

Jerry Smith Fish out of water

+9
    No, not that I know of. Hawking speculates about wormholes and such, but he doesn't speculate about creators.

But God hasn't explained it. There is a book signed by God (in human hand-writing) that claims that God did create the universe, but He never takes the trouble to explain it.

"Anti-creationist" is not a field of science. Hoyle was an astrophysicist and got his name on some pretty important papers in that field, but he isn't qualified to speak about the possibility or probability of biological evolution. He did comment on his views of it, but never gave the scientific evidence that he was correct in this speculation.

20. seebs

seebs God Made Me A Skeptic

+1,462
    Seeker
    Married
    US-Republican
    Arguably, making a sufficiently weak effort to find the truth could make a statemint into a lie.

It's pretty easy to find out what Gould says. He certainly shares the underlying model of natural selection leading to changes and eventual speciation.