Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Compost worms seem different from earthworms?
Cos earthworms you put in the ground but it seems compost or tiger worms just want fertilieser by giving them food scraps?

I thought it wasnt just the vermicast that was valuable but to have them in your soil to create air and mix together everything so you dont have to dig.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Cos earthworms you put in the ground but it seems compost or tiger worms just make fertilieser by giving them food scraps?

I thought it wasnt just the vermicast that was valuable but to have them in your soil to create air and mix together everything so you dont have to dig.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Cos earthworms you put in the ground but it seems compost or tiger worms just make fertilieser by giving them food scraps?

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I see it's not only me having trouble posting now. CF has hiccups. ;)

I'm not a worm expert. They ARE good to have in the soil, but I keep these enclosed to turn scraps into castings. At least so far. If I get too many for the bins I might turn some loose.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I save the eggshells for the tomatoes (calcium) or sometimes crush and put around stems in hope of deterring slugs. Since they are bad for slugs, I'm concerned they might not be good for worms. I'm not really sure though?

I do feed mine a little tea bags and coffee grounds, filter and all - I keep these in a small container in the kitchen because I produce little of them. Too much might not be good?

Shredded newspaper, wetted cardboard (the brown box type - I remove staples or tape). Sometimes leaves or grass clippings.

The bulk of their "food" is vegetable peelings, and fruits or veggies that start to go bad (I don't give them citrus, onions, habanero, or anything that seems too strong). They LOVE potato peels, which I boil briefly before giving them. And banana peels. They also really like bread that starts to get old - I like my bread fresh so they get any that isn't.

That's what I produce, so that's what they get. Other things I'm not thinking of may be good too.

• Informative
Reactions: Goodbook
Upvote 0