USA
✟945,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
The feminist movement promised equality and choice for women. Has it achieved its aim? Have women leveled the playing field? Or have we paid a heavy price by embracing its principles?

What are the pros and cons of its continuance? Is it time for change?

Is the philosophy compatible with Christianity?

Reactions: ChicanaRose

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Feminism has had the effect of creating hostility between the two sexes where none would’ve existed otherwise.

Feminism is horrible.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟836,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Following. ;)

As someone who studied philosophy, I don't hold that any philosophy as a whole is compatible with Christianity. St. Thomas Aquinas tried it with Aristotle, and it was not always helpful. I treat philosophy in a manner similar to how the Hebrews left Egypt. I take what I need and leave the rest. All truth is God's truth, and some of that truth can be found in various philosophies. Nonetheless, Christianity has it's own framework and principles that can't be abrogated.

As concerns feminism, I read some feminist philosophers in undergrad. I appreciated their emphasis on embodiment (i.e. we have a body that influences our experience in the world) and relationality. They didn't invent the idea that we are embodied beings or that we are relational beings. But their emphasis on those two points did help me see things in a different light.

I believe we are all equal and that everyone should be treated with dignity and respect. When that is not happening for women, it needs to be changed. I can't really speak to much else.

But, I'm following. :) You always do a great job with these threads, so I learn from watching your skills.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟945,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Feminism has had the effect of creating hostility between the two sexes where none would’ve existed otherwise.

Was their tension between the sexes before the movement? Was it possibly repressed by either?

Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I consider myself to be egalitarian - which "promised equality and choice for women." I do NOT see myself as a feminist, due to my association of feminism with virulent anti-male sentiments:

I feel that ‘man-hating’ is an honorable and viable political act, that the oppressed have a right to class-hatred against the class that is oppressing them.
Robin Morgan, Ms. Magazine Editor
I want to see a man beaten to a bloody pulp with a high-heel shoved in his mouth, like an apple in the mouth of a pig.
Andrea Dworkin
The proportion of men must be reduced to and maintained at approximately 10% of the human race.
Sally Miller Gearhart, in The Future – If There Is One – Is Female

23 Quotes From Feminists That Will Make You Rethink Feminism

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,549.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The feminist movement promised equality and choice for women. Has it achieved its aim? Have women leveled the playing field? Or have we paid a heavy price by embracing its principles?

I don’t think equality between the sexes has any cons.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Was their tension between the sexes before the movement?
Absolutely. Patriarchal men were/are similar to the historic despots that eventually were overthrown by their subjects. The tension existed long before the revolution.

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Through him, in all things, more than conquerors.
Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Catholic intellectual E Michael Jones likens the introduction of feminism to the West Coast nuns in the late 60's to the provision of whisky to the Indians.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟945,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
As someone who studied philosophy, I don't hold that any philosophy as a whole is compatible with Christianity.

I love your opening. I find myself confronting the same more and more. Sometimes I draw a line in the sand. Like with etiquette. But there are other ideals that conflict with my faith too much. I can’t make it fit without compromising myself in the wrong way.

I take what I need and leave the rest.

I put it through the love filter. If it isn’t loving and discriminates I have to lay it down. Sometimes that’s unpleasant and disturbs my comfort zone. But I’m getting better. I have a long way to go.

All truth is God's truth, and some of that truth can be found in various philosophies. Nonetheless, Christianity has it's own framework and principles that can't be abrogated.

Oftentimes I find the answer in Him. A different approach may give me ideas on its resolution. But eventually man-made things will conflict with the gospel. My concern is getting in deep and facing the need to shift gears and closing my eyes and remaining put.

I believe we are all equal and that everyone should be treated with dignity and respect. When that is not happening for women, it needs to be changed. I can't really speak to much else.

I would like to see equitable treatment and respect for both sexes. And mutual regard for our differences. I don’t want either to be diminished or made to think they’re evil or not enough.

But, I'm following. :) You always do a great job with these threads, so I learn from watching your skills.

Thank you for the compliment. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,549.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Nor do I. Do you feel feminism is the right approach for its accomplishment?
Feminism is a tool for societal change. Some people use that tool well and some don’t.

A bad worker blames their tools.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟945,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I consider myself to be egalitarian - which "promised equality and choice for women." I do NOT see myself as a feminist, due to my association of feminism with virulent anti-male sentiments

Thank you for sharing these. I am aware many hurtful comments have been exchanged by both sides. As a woman, mother, and believer I have difficulty turning a blind eye to what I’m hearing. And I don’t think this is God’s way of addressing the issue.

I feel that ‘man-hating’ is an honorable and viable political act, that the oppressed have a right to class-hatred against the class that is oppressing them. —Robin Morgan, Ms. Magazine Editor

I want to see a man beaten to a bloody pulp with a high-heel shoved in his mouth, like an apple in the mouth of a pig. —Andrea Dworkin

The proportion of men must be reduced to and maintained at approximately 10% of the human race. —Sally Miller Gearhart, in The Future – If There Is One – Is Female
There’s no glory in hate or debasement. It is never appropriate. That isn’t a spirit of love in operation.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟945,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Absolutely. Patriarchal men were/are similar to the historic despots that eventually were overthrown by their subjects. The tension existed long before the revolution.

Do you believe the tension was bound to erupt?

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟945,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Catholic intellectual E Michael Jones likens the introduction of feminism to the West Coast nuns in the late 60's to the provision of whisky to the Indians.

A very strong statement. Do you agree with him?

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟945,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Feminism is a tool for societal change. Some people use that tool well and some don’t.

A bad worker blames their tools.

How do you deal with the mishandling effectively and minimize the harm caused? Especially when there’s little to no oversight in its use.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

VMaeLove

Selbst ist die Frau
Jul 30, 2019
Saxony-Anhalt
✟124,235.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The begin of feminism was great. Women are treated as less in much of human history and I am glad we found to begin a break away from that. I should not be excluded from oportunity because I was born with diferent sex organs.

I do not think how the loud show feminism is great. The goal is equality not revenge. But I do think the majority think diferent than the loud.

The Bible seems to favor man from I have seen, but I do not think God would agree with that. At that time women was seen as less. I think God loves all equal and we should as well.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I think it is worthwhile to consider the past first. Before Christ, women were regarded as the property of men, not much better than cattle. Especially in the pagan world. The Mosaic Covenant gave more respect to women, but we need to remember what Jesus said to the Sadducees when they tried to entrap him. Divorce was permitted by Moses because of the hardness of their hearts. The Mosaic Covenant is a document for the unregenerate whose hearts were uncircumcised.

Jesus gave a new respect for women unknown to Israel. The disciples were astonished to find Jesus even talking to the Samaritan woman at the well. A recorded conversation, incidentally, which is the longest recorded conversation of Jesus to an single person in the New Testament.

The world remains hardened and it still influences the body of Christ today. But not always. The influence of the people of God on the world after the resurrection and ascension of Christ has mitigated the hard-hearted attitude of men regarding women as property. Mitigate means "lessen" not remove.

Feminism as a movement has its roots in the Fabian society of England whose goal is to set up a global communist government. Jane Addams was a Fabian who came to the USA and spearheaded suffrage then, later, prohibition. Communism wants to destroy families and marriages. The UN published a document years ago stating what was needed to create a global government.

I've lost the document, but remember the path. They understood that an intact family creates a local loyalty. Those with good home lives will place their loyalty first on their family, then on their neighborhood and local community. They have no loyalty to international organizations, and less for national or state governments.

When families are destroyed, loyalties are much easier to transfer over to abstract organizations farther removed from local affairs to national and international. This is why corporate media publish more news about international affairs than local, by the way.

Gloria Steinem, an early advocate of feminism, admits she was a CIA asset
The CIA has never been for the USA, but works for the globalist dynasties. Divide and conquer.

Are there positive aspects of feminism? Yes, but only on the side line. God never created women to subservient to men, but as co partners. While we are all complete as men or women, we are increased when joined together. In general, of course there are exceptions, but in general, women tend to have an eye for detail better than men, and men tend to see the big picture better than women. Mutual submission means mutual respect.

In general, Christianity has done more to liberate women, than the feminist movement.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,549.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
How do you deal with the mishandling effectively and minimize the harm caused? Especially when there’s little to no oversight in its use.
You can’t.

Feminism is a bit like guns in the USA. Sure, bad things happen because people have access to feminism (sometimes every week) but equality within Law (I believe) is the 14th change to their constitution.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

MInTheGap

Jul 13, 2006
Visit site
✟15,333.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do find it interesting that we can say that there are some feminists that are bad and went too far, but all patriarchal men are despots that deserve to be overthrown.

How does feminism square with the Bible? It's hard to escape that woman was created for man, and that part of the curse had woman looking to overthrow their husbands... Paul's call for a wife to submit to her husband restores the order.

God showed the order in the construction of the Temple-- women could only go so far. Paul told women to cover their head in worship, but men not to because men were the glory of God and women the glory of men.

At the same time, Paul states that men and women are equal before God, and all are to pray to God directly through Christ.

There's also parts of the law where a father/husband could void a vow or pledge that a woman could give.

So do the Bible does not square with feminism in terms of equality of the sexes. Equality before God in terms of salvation, yes. Equality of roles, purpose, etc., it doesn't read that way.

While we may apply the teachings to today's culture differently, in the plain reading the Bible is not a feminist document.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

I'm not happy with "isms" in general. I don't believe that feminism has achieved much. The social engineering taking place in education has made women stronger by denigrating and belittling men (in my part of the world at least). Many men are responding with aggression and resentment. I recall feminists complaining that men made them just sex objects. Now the way many women dress, they invite the charge of total hypocrisy and they have made themselves exactly what they profess to despise.
Men and women are different and have different roles. The western world rejects this. What do we expect? The spirit of Antichrist is exceedingly active.
Women are paying a huge price for their supposed freedoms. It's a shame. It's even worse when Christian women feel the need to throw out God's word and embrace the world's view of what it means to be a woman.

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0