Feeling a little down.

BrokenWarrior

Just a Messenger
Dec 29, 2014
Where ever my Lord's work is to be done.
✟8,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi guys,been a while.

So it took me a while to learn about Christ,and His plan of Salvation.

About how repentance works to change your heart,and make you realize you need Salvation. And about how Christ only needs you to place your trust in Him to save you,due to His ultimate payment of sin.

I know I've placed my trust in Him,and felt peace for a while,but I've always struggled with lust for women (read,bad sites if you know what I mean).

I always feel bad like I give in too easily,even knowing Christ still loves me just as much as before.

Then today I happened across 2 Peter 1:5-9 ,and I've been anxious all day trying to comprehend it's meaning,specifically verse 9:

"But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins."

I feel like this describes me at times.

I get so depressed by my sins,losing my peace of mind and my trust in His Love to forgive me even though I know otherwise.

So I thought I'd ask here for some of my Bretheren to give me direction,and possibly comfort.

Am I interpreting it wrong?

Am I reading it right? And if so,what does it mean? What can I do? I know it's not saying a person in this position isn't necessarily not saved,but it doesn't sound like a person in that position is in a good spot,that is, if I'm reading it right to begin with.

God Bless!
-BrokenWarrior

BrokenWarrior

Just a Messenger
Dec 29, 2014
✟8,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If you are in Christ and He is in you, All these things come automatically. You will not want to do the things that you do now. You will be a changed person form the inside. You will have peace. You wont struggle with these things.

I see,after reading it again it seems to imply simply:

A Christian is given these virtues by Faith,and he should continue to grow and build up these virtues to be a strong Christian.

Should he not grow them in "ever increasing measure" he is "near-sightedly blind" and basically doubts and struggles.

So essentially this passage is simply stating the difference between a happy,strong Christian. And a depressed,weak Christian right?

At least that's what I got out of it.

God Bless!
-BrokenWarrior

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
One of the greatest problems today is that most people are never actually taught theology or how to read the Scriptures. Single passages are taken as though they stand alone and can be ripped from their context and the message of the whole Bible and made to mean whatever the person wants to think they mean. I call it snippet religion. A snippet here and a snippet there and every passage as though it stands alone. Far too many have been asked, "What does this passage mean to you?" As though the Bible teaches whatever the person thinks it means to them.

Proper understanding and interpretation of the Scriptures requires a whole and complete grasp of the message of the Scriptures. Moreover it takes a grasp of the context of the book and the immediate context of the passage.

Certainly single passages or even a group of passages jump out at us as we read and study the Scriptures but even then we must be careful not to make them say something that is neither in the context of the passage or the context of the teaching of the Scriptures as a whole.

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟130,041.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe the RCC is right after all. Maybe the average person doesn't need to read the Bible at all. Just let the Priests interpret it for them. After all the Word of God is so complex that even the learned have a problem with it at times. Even the Holy Spirit resists revealing the truth of the Word to these ignorant and unlearned people.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you are in Christ and He is in you, All these things come automatically. You will not want to do the things that you do now. You will be a changed person form the inside. You will have peace. You wont struggle with these things.
Spiritual life in Christ - if it exists - is sustained and strengthened by the Word of God and prayer.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Maybe the RCC is right after all. Maybe the average person doesn't need to read the Bible at all. Just let the Priests interpret it for them. After all the Word of God is so complex that even the learned have a problem with it at times. Even the Holy Spirit resists revealing the truth of the Word to these ignorant and unlearned people.
I disagree. What needs to happen is for pastors to actually interpret the Scriptures in their context and the context of the whole of the Scriptures and teach their hearers by example how to interpret the Scriptures. Expository preaching teaches believers the method and message of the Bible. What passes for preaching today is nothing but pure entertainment of souls on their way to Hell.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Focus on christian sites and make up your mind to empty your computer of bad sites. Remember Jesus set you free so you dont have to go to those sites anymore.

Remember the woman caught in adultery? She was going to be stoned but Jesus said go sin no more and forgave her.
And the men, they couldnt throw stones at her anymore.

Make up your mind not to be involved in sites that condemn women to be lust objects. Remember these women are potential sisters in christ. They dont do it for fun, they do it cos some pimp tricked them into exposing themselves for money.

Upvote 0

Shimshon

Oct 5, 2004
Zion
✟107,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Hi guys,been a while.

About how repentance works to change your heart,and make you realize you need Salvation. And about how Christ only needs you to place your trust in Him to save you,due to His ultimate payment of sin.

I know I've placed my trust in Him,and felt peace for a while,but I've always struggled with lust for women (read,bad sites if you know what I mean).

I always feel bad like I give in too easily,even knowing Christ still loves me just as much as before.

Then today I happened across 2 Peter 1:5-9 ,and I've been anxious all day trying to comprehend it's meaning,specifically verse 9:

"But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins."

I get so depressed by my sins,losing my peace of mind and my trust in His Love to forgive me even though I know otherwise.

So I thought I'd ask here for some of my Bretheren to give me direction,and possibly comfort.

Am I reading it right? And if so,what does it mean? What can I do? I know it's not saying a person in this position isn't necessarily not saved,but it doesn't sound like a person in that position is in a good spot,that is, if I'm reading it right to begin with.

God Bless!
-BrokenWarrior
Your all good. Right were you should be. This happens to us all. It's why we are taught to encourage others in what is good, in the good news. I remember this stage, having enough faith to stand but not enough to withstand the harder times. Which are all testing of your own soul. As Messiah seeks out your inner being to clear off the slate and begin to write anew upon your heart. Don't be worried (to death) about the discomfort it brings. All trials are trying, they do produce righteousness.

Which brings me to the point of the verses you are pondering. What is your/our calling?

3 His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 4 Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires​

Believers are called to participate in the divine nature through Messiah's own glory and goodness. Through which we escape the corruption of the world, which is caused by our evil desires. We are to be holy as he is holy. I believe you already know this. But the process is one of love, not condemnation. There is a difference between conviction and condemnation. Don't let the enemy fool you that God is condemning your shortcomings, when it's actually God convicting your heart to follow him better. And this comes by stopping your own trying, and understand how he has already done it for you. All you have to do is take his hand and he will lead you, and help you up EVERY time you stumble and fall. All you need to do is return to his hands. Reach back up and take hold again. He never leaves or forsakes you, even when your face in in the ground because you just took a huge fall. Only the enemy condemns and says you failed. Messiah is saying, get up son, here is my hand. Be holy as I am, let me live through you so you can fulfill your calling to participate in the diving nature. Don't try to do it yourself, let me do it for you.

It is possible. Stay strong, in him. And learn from our spiritual fathers.

1 Peter 1
Be Holy
13 Therefore, with minds that are alert and fully sober, set your hope on the grace to be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming. 14 As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance.

15 But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do;16 for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.”

17 Since you call on a Father who judges each person’s work impartially, live out your time as foreigners here in reverent fear. 18 For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect. 20 He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake.

Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God.

22 Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for each other, love one another deeply, from the heart. 23 For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.

24 For, “All people are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, 25 but the word of the Lord endures forever.” And this is the word that was preached to you.
He's not just calling us to this divine nature, he HAS made a way for it to happen. Hang in there brother. Messiah made the way, follow him. We are all like grass, we sprout, we grow, we fade, we die. But believers have been born again through the living and enduring word of Messiah which endures forever. God is a father who's love endures forever. That means he loves you even when you fail. And loves you enough to keep reaching back for you like a lost sheep. In fact he leaves the flock to gather the lost. Imagine that one...

Now, I can't hold on to you myself, I can only comfort and encourage you and help you again seek the outstretched hands of Messiah. However, you have to reach for Messiah's hands EVERY time you fall. :) Keep reaching....

Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0

BrokenWarrior

Just a Messenger
Dec 29, 2014
✟8,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Your all good. Right were you should be. This happens to us all. It's why we are taught to encourage others in what is good, in the good news. I remember this stage, having enough faith to stand but not enough to withstand the harder times. Which are all testing of your own soul. As Messiah seeks out your inner being to clear off the slate and begin to write anew upon your heart. Don't be worried (to death) about the discomfort it brings. All trials are trying, they do produce righteousness.

Which brings me to the point of the verses you are pondering. What is your/our calling?

3 His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 4 Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires​

Believers are called to participate in the divine nature through Messiah's own glory and goodness. Through which we escape the corruption of the world, which is caused by our evil desires. We are to be holy as he is holy. I believe you already know this. But the process is one of love, not condemnation. There is a difference between conviction and condemnation. Don't let the enemy fool you that God is condemning your shortcomings, when it's actually God convicting your heart to follow him better. And this comes by stopping your own trying, and understand how he has already done it for you. All you have to do is take his hand and he will lead you, and help you up EVERY time you stumble and fall. All you need to do is return to his hands. Reach back up and take hold again. He never leaves or forsakes you, even when your face in in the ground because you just took a huge fall. Only the enemy condemns and says you failed. Messiah is saying, get up son, here is my hand. Be holy as I am, let me live through you so you can fulfill your calling to participate in the diving nature. Don't try to do it yourself, let me do it for you.

It is possible. Stay strong, in him. And learn from our spiritual fathers.

1 Peter 1
Be Holy
13 Therefore, with minds that are alert and fully sober, set your hope on the grace to be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming. 14 As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance.

15 But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do;16 for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.”

17 Since you call on a Father who judges each person’s work impartially, live out your time as foreigners here in reverent fear. 18 For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect. 20 He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake.

Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God.

22 Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for each other, love one another deeply, from the heart. 23 For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.

24 For, “All people are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, 25 but the word of the Lord endures forever.” And this is the word that was preached to you.
He's not just calling us to this divine nature, he HAS made a way for it to happen. Hang in there brother. Messiah made the way, follow him. We are all like grass, we sprout, we grow, we fade, we die. But believers have been born again through the living and enduring word of Messiah which endures forever. God is a father who's love endures forever. That means he loves you even when you fail. And loves you enough to keep reaching back for you like a lost sheep. In fact he leaves the flock to gather the lost. Imagine that one...

Now, I can't hold on to you myself, I can only comfort and encourage you and help you again seek the outstretched hands of Messiah. However, you have to reach for Messiah's hands EVERY time you fall. :) Keep reaching....

Thanks Brother :)

I guess I do allow myself at times to be confused with the difference between condemnation and conviction.

When I read passages,even like the ones you provided I feel my heart ache and tell myself:"see,another passage reminding me how I've misused the gift of Christ and still given into sin. Another passage reminding me to be Holy as He is Holy even though I haven't been."

But perhaps your right,I need to stop condemning myself and realize it's the Holy Spirit inside of me pushing me to be better.

Thank you for your words again Brother!
-BrokenWarrior

Reactions: Shimshon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi BW,

The Scriptures do give us some things to do if we are caught up in sin. Having been where you likely are as regards this inappropriate contentography issue, I can attest that it absolutely does effect one's closeness to God. Because of that result alone, I don't think anyone should question whether such behavior is against God's desire for His children.

My encouragement is to take it to God in prayer and repenting and asking for His strength and help in turning away from sin and the temptations that lead to sin. I'm sure you've likely done this, but don't stop. Secondly, I had an opportunity in my fellowship to confess my sin in front of the congregation one Sunday and was anointed by the pastor. From that day, my struggle became much easier and I haven't visited such a sight since.

Sadly, the temptations of lust are all around us. We can't hardly watch TV or movies without the human body being set before us in tempting dress and attitude. I firmly believe that such changes do make it tougher, but for the born again believer cannot be used as excuses for sin. But, the Scriptures do give us instructions for these times and I believe the instructions are there because God knows there are going to be times that we'll need them.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Hi BW,

The Scriptures do give us some things to do if we are caught up in sin. Having been where you likely are as regards this inappropriate contentography issue, I can attest that it absolutely does effect one's closeness to God. Because of that result alone, I don't think anyone should question whether such behavior is against God's desire for His children.

My encouragement is to take it to God in prayer and repenting and asking for His strength and help in turning away from sin and the temptations that lead to sin. I'm sure you've likely done this, but don't stop. Secondly, I had an opportunity in my fellowship to confess my sin in front of the congregation one Sunday and was anointed by the pastor. From that day, my struggle became much easier and I haven't visited such a sight since.

Sadly, the temptations of lust are all around us. We can't hardly watch TV or movies without the human body being set before us in tempting dress and attitude. I firmly believe that such changes do make it tougher, but for the born again believer cannot be used as excuses for sin. But, the Scriptures do give us instructions for these times and I believe the instructions are there because God knows there are going to be times that we'll need them.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

1 Corinthians: 10. 8. Neither let us commit fornication, as some of them committed, and fell in one day three and twenty thousand. 9. Neither let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed of serpents. 10. Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer. 11. Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come. 12. Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall. 13. There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

I qoute this from experience, my ex wife would have nothing to do with me,I slept alone for 7 years.
I attended a Baptist Church and gave my all to serve the Lord,yet lust was taking me over.
Honestly it was not out of respect for my ex wife that I did not give in,it was my Children I could not let down.
As they grew older and by much prayer the time came to end the marraige,I learned a lot about my ex and see how God's grace did not let me find out during that time what the truth was.
I'm glad I did not chase other women because my wife now is a true blessing from God,and somehow if I would have give in to lust I do not believe I would be blessed with
A wonderful wife.
Most likely I would have given into the flesh and once again become unequally yoked with a cheating Jesabel.

My point of telling this is that patience with God's timing is necessary to attain victory ,and obedience is rewarded all in God's perfect plan in our lives.
Never think the devil is not watching to snare you ,I was offered many beautiful things that were out of my league sometimes in pairs.

As far as my ex? A prayer cannot be uttered in her house at Thanksgiving let alone go to Church.
The wonderful blessing is my Children were saved and Baptised during some dark times God was always in control.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Hi guys,been a while.

God Bless!
-BrokenWarrior

Let's try a different translation:

2 Peter: 1. 4. Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. 5. And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; 6. And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; 7. And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. 8. For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9. But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins. 10. Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

I hope this brings your thoughts into captivity, God Bless

Upvote 0