Federal crackdown on inappropriate content?

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
This article cites a lot of people calling out hypocrisy from someone like Trump cracking down on inappropriate content, but please don't let personal vendettas take over a productive argument. I want to share this article, and have an intelligent discussion about the implications & ethics of such a decision.
inappropriate content industry girds for Trump crackdown on filth

• Informative
Reactions: Dave L

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
This article cites a lot of people calling out hypocrisy from someone like Trump cracking down on inappropriate content, but please don't let personal vendettas take over a productive argument. I want to share this article, and have an intelligent discussion about the implications & ethics of such a decision.
inappropriate content industry girds for Trump crackdown on filth
Hope springs eternal in the hearts of the religious that simply creating and enforcing laws will magically create a righteous population.

It doesn't happen. A few may be prosecuted and even put in jail, but the inappropriate content industry is here to stay. The planet wide aspect of the Internet will guarantee that it not only survives but will continue to thrive.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
sex between consenting adults is ok but not all inappropriate content is sex between consenting adults so I do have a problem with it . Trafficking is a big problem

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
While obscenity is, almost by definition, illegal, the courts have largely refused to declare inappropriate contentography obscene.

(Trafficking and child inappropriate content are separate crimes, and both are pursued vigorously.)

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
I didn't read the article, but the new laws are technically designed to fight trafficking. I know that a lot of First Amendment issues have been raised by it.

If you want to see the fallout of this in practice to look at Craigslist and Tumblr. Both are banning giant sections of their sites and forbidding activity becausr nobody understands the scope of the law and by shifting burden to the hosts, nobody wants to be the victim of an overzealous DA.

• Informative
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums