Georgia
✟899,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I don't think there is an SDA Fundamental Belief that addresses Feast Days specifically.

Fundamental Beliefs of the Seventh Day Adventist Church

Having said that - we know that the SDA denomination has never observed them as a denomination and most SDAs accept that the Bible and Ellen White's messages both make the statement that the feast days ended at the cross Heb 10:4-12

"He takes away the first to establish the second".

However I know that it is also an individual matter as Paul points out in Rom 14 "one man observes one day above another while another man observes every day" speaking of the Lev 23 days of holy convocation. And there are some SDAs that also keep one or more of the feast days in some fashion. I myself have been to a ceder supper where a Christian Rabbi conducted the service and explained the Gospel doctrine/teaching being illustrated in each of the symbols.

By contrast Bible scholars on both sides of the seventh-day Sabbath debate agree that all TEN of the Ten commandments apply to mankind -- and that includes the 4th commandment. (The Sunday groups taking that position - just argue that the 4th commandment was edited to point to week-day-1 now).

Thoughts?

Last edited:

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Here is an interesting search result eg White on the Lord's feasts - Google Search

Here is an interesting link in that result What Did Ellen White Say About The Feast Days?

We notice that that does not say "in the 50,000 pages of letters and manuscripts dating from 1845 to 1915 by Ellen White she never claimed to have any information about the keeping of feast days".

Nor did it say "we find nothing in the books she published for the church - that speak to the topic of feast days".

If instead of finding very specific statements about feast days -- we had actually found "no statements on feast days" after reviewing Ellen White's messages - then someone might respond with "well she did not have light on this topic but Adventists should keep studying and get the new light on it that God is ready to reveal in His Word".

That would make sense I think.

================================

But to the contrary -- when we click on that second link above we find quite a few places where she directly speaks to the subject with very specific and detailed positions stated.

the link above - starts with this quote at the end of her life

She also said that new light never contradicts old light. "But although the long line of events extends through so many centuries, and new and important truths are from time to time developed, that which was truth in the beginning is the truth still. The increased light of the present day does not contradict or make of none effect the dimmer light of the past." — (Ellen G. White, Signs of the Times, August, 1913)
One possible "feast day" supporting response might be -- "Well I understand why Adventists do not consider the feast days as still binding given that they claim they have direct communication from God given to Ellen White on this point..but what about the other denominations? Why don't they continue their studies to find that the feast days are binding/still-in-effect?"

That would make sense since we do have all those very specific statements about the feast days as shown in the link I gave above.

===========================

Even so - when I talk about the topic I don't answer with "Because God informed Ellen White as to the correct view on this topic and it is this..." on these forums.

I always quote the Bible - something like Heb 10:4-12 (for example).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
As for Heb 10

Heb 10:4-12 does not say "Christ gave new and expanded meaning to the sacrifices and offerings so we have even more reason to observe them". I think everyone agrees that this is not actually in Heb 10.

What it says is this -

You have not desired sacrifice and offering,
But You have prepared a body for Me;
6 You have not taken pleasure in whole burnt offerings and offerings for sin.
7 Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come
(It is written of Me in the scroll of the book)
To do Your will, O God.’”

8 After saying above, “Sacrifices and offerings and whole burnt offerings and offerings for sin You have not desired, nor have You taken pleasure in them” (which are offered according to the Law), 9 then He said, “Behold, I have come to do Your will.” He takes away the first in order to establish the second. 10 By this will, we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all time.

11 Every priest stands daily ministering and offering time after time the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins; 12 but He, having offered one sacrifice for sins for all time, sat down at the right hand of God

"once for all time" and then "sat down" fully explains how He "takes away the first" and "establishes the second" having completed them both and is now no longer engaged in it at all.

Heb 9
25 nor was it that He would offer Himself often, as the high priest enters the Holy Place year by year with blood that is not his own. 26 Otherwise, He would have needed to suffer often since the foundation of the world; but now once at the consummation of the ages He has been revealed to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself. 27 And just as it is destined for people to die once, and after this comes judgment, 28 so Christ also, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time for salvation without reference to sin, to those who eagerly await Him.

The "sacrifice" part is no longer in play - it is no longer happening - it is over.

Lev 16 you see the "atoning sacrifice" part of Atonement and that is followed by the work of the High Priest in the sanctuary - Christ is both. The ongoing part is not the work of Christ as atoning Sacrifice, but rather the Heb 8:1-5 work of Christ as High Priest in Heaven.

=============

Having said all that Romans 14 does not condemn the one who observes one of the Lev 23 feast days "above the others" nor the one who "observes them all" - Paul leaves it up to each person.

Which is why I try to stay out of the debate over feast days, but I don't mind having the discussion for those who are interested in that sort of thing.

• Winner
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
With OP thread starters permission, I have been invited to dialogue on this thread and point out what I know on the feasts. The True Feasts of God God‘s plan for the salvation of humanity is shown by the seven feasts He gave to ancient Israel in Leviticus 23. God told the people of Israel to celebrate these feasts as "lasting ordinances." The seven feasts are patterns that describe the two comings of Yeshua. While most Jewish people still celebrate the feasts, it‘s unfortunate that many don‘t understand Yeshua‘ fulfillment of them, and thus miss the Christ that was sent for their salvation. It is also unfortunate that most don‘t study and learn about the feasts, let alone celebrate the feasts, for if they did then they would more clearly see how the feasts symbolize Yeshua‘ work both for His first coming and His second. They could then better understand and praise God and rejoice in His plan for the salvation, for they would see His plan laid out in the feasts.

Upvote 0

visionary

Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
As we get into more detail, you will understand why so many of these Sabbaths are called "feasts"as they are truly wonderful spiritual food essential for the last days. Each feast is different and each is very beneficial for the body of the bride. If you understand the rehearsals, then you will know what is your role is in the last drama that will involve the whole world will be. You can learn the role that God wants you to have, or you will be caught up in the greatest deception this world has ever seen. I will try to show the accuracy in which Yeshua fulfilled the spring feasts at His first appearance. It should lead you to believe the fall feasts will also have their fulfillment with His second coming.

Upvote 0

visionary

Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
In understanding the rehearsals of the fall feasts and the implied implications of the reality involvement dealing with His second coming, we should then be better prepared for the end times, having a better understanding of where we are to spiritually be, spiritually better prepared for what is to come upon the earth, and truly closer to the Lord that He may protect us from what is soon to come upon the earth. The Lord made a special announcement regarding three of the feasts in which there is a demand for everyone to attend and not miss. Three times in the year, even in the feast of unleavened bread, and in the feast of weeks, and in the feast of tabernacles are we to gather.

Upvote 0

visionary

Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
I know, it is a lot of preamble, but I think it sets the stage. We have significant reasons for studying the festivals as they are of God and are considered Holy Convocations. Convocations are like conventions where people are called to be at a certain time and place, and assembled with the understanding that they are to learn something that is important for their future health and welfare. All festivals are a memorial of the historical events, prophetic indicating they have a future complete fulfillment, teach about the Yeshua our Redeemer‘s work, and are agricultural in content representing Yeshua‘s crop from the planting of seed to the last great harvest.

Upvote 0

visionary

Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
There are seven feasts; four in the spring and three in the fall. God gave these feasts, the set feasts or appointed seasons of the Lord to teach us about Christ‘s ministry. Christ will come twice. As faithful as the rain in the spring and the rain in the fall to ripen the wheat for the harvest so God does prepare us for His coming. The harvest that Christ is looking Spiritually Feasting on the Lord’s Feasts forward to us, from the seeds he planted in our hearts, to the full mature plant bearing fruit of the Spirit.

Yeshua fulfilled the four spring festivals when He came the first time. The four spring time feasts that He fulfilled are the Passover, the Feast of Unleaven Bread, the Wave Sheaf or First Fruits and the Feasts of Weeks or Pentecost.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
With OP thread starters permission, I have been invited to dialogue on this thread and point out what I know on the feasts. The True Feasts of God God‘s plan for the salvation of humanity is shown by the seven feasts He gave to ancient Israel in Leviticus 23.

I think everyone here would agree on that point.

God told the people of Israel to celebrate these feasts as "lasting ordinances." The seven feasts are patterns that describe the two comings of Yeshua. While most Jewish people still celebrate the feasts, it‘s unfortunate that many don‘t understand Yeshua‘ fulfillment of them, and thus miss the Christ that was sent for their salvation.

Agreed as well.

It is also unfortunate that most don‘t study and learn about the feasts,...for if they did then they would more clearly see how the feasts symbolize Yeshua‘ work both for His first coming and His second. They could then better understand and praise God and rejoice in His plan for the salvation, for they would see His plan laid out in the feasts.

agreed.

let alone celebrate the feasts, for if they did then they would more clearly see how the feasts symbolize Yeshua‘ work both for His first coming and His second. They could then better understand and praise God and rejoice in His plan for the salvation, for they would see His plan laid out in the feasts.

As noted above I agree that studying the feasts to find out what they reveal about the Gospel is very beneficial to Christianity. I am not clear on what "else" would be learned by celebrating them that cannot also be learned by studying them however.

Upvote 0

visionary

Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
There are hints in scripture about the time of the feasts and their prophetic meanings and fulfillments. Take Peter for example. At the transfiguration, Peter entered into the conversation and said

Matthew 17:4: And Peter answered, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if you will, I will make here three tabernacles; one for you, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah.

It was at this point Peter was jumping the gun assuming that he knew where this was going and wanted to be apart of it. Just before the Transfiguration, Peter was the one who said

Matt 16:16 You are the Messiah, the Son of the God, the Living One.

Peter clearly knew who Yeshua was and he knew the Messiah was superior to both Moses and Elijah. He was not trying to put Yeshua on equal par with the others or vice versa with his suggestion as some authors have suggested. So the idea that Peter's error was in equalizing the three was not what this is about.

Peter was seeing the glory that the Son of Man will have in His Kingdom also shine through Moses and Elijah. Peter knew from Zechariah 14 that the Feast of Tabernacles was going to be fulfilled by the Messianic Kingdom. Here it was at the timing of the Feast of Tabernacles that this transfiguration occurred. His mind came to the wrong conclusion because during the Messianic Kingdom, it will be obligatory for all to observe the Feast of Tabernacles. Hence his jump to building tabernacles. There is prophetic truth in his conclusion, but this was not the right timing.

Preceding the experience, it is clear that Peter did not yet understand the program of death and resurrection. Now he was seeing the glory that Yeshua would have in the Kingdom and he expected that the Kingdom to be established at this time. He expected the Feast of Tabernacles to be fulfilled at this time, and that is why he wanted to build the three tabernacles.

But because he did not yet understand the program of death and resurrection, he did not yet understand that the Feast of Passover had to be fulfilled before the Feast of Tabernacles could be fulfilled. So his response is not wrong; it was a proper response based upon the knowledge he had at that point and the truth, as he understood it. Although it was a proper response, his timing was totally wrong. For that reason, he was not allowed to build the three tabernacles, because it was Passover that Yeshua came to fulfill and not the Feast of Tabernacles. Therefore, in keeping with the promise of Yeshua, Peter saw the glory that the Messiah will have in His Kingdom.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
There are seven feasts; four in the spring and three in the fall. God gave these feasts, the set feasts or appointed seasons of the Lord to teach us about Christ‘s ministry. Christ will come twice.

True. Those feasts predicted both the first coming and the 2nd coming. The first coming happened 2000 years ago.

the second coming is future.

I think we agree on this as well.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yeshua fulfilled the four spring festivals when He came the first time. The four spring time feasts that He fulfilled are the Passover, the Feast of Unleaven Bread, the Wave Sheaf or First Fruits and the Feasts of Weeks or Pentecost.

agreed

The slaying of the Passover lamb was a shadow of the death of Christ. Says Paul: “Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us.” 1 Corinthians 5:7. The sheaf of first fruits, which at the time of the Passover was waved before the Lord, was typical of the resurrection of Christ. Paul says, in speaking of the resurrection of the Lord and of all His people: “Christ the first fruits; afterward they that are Christ’s at His coming.” 1 Corinthians 15:23. Like the wave sheaf, which was the first ripe grain gathered before the harvest, Christ is the first fruits of that immortal harvest of redeemed ones that at the future resurrection shall be gathered into the garner of God. {GC 399.2}

These types were fulfilled, not only as to the event, but as to the time. On the fourteenth day of the first Jewish month, the very day and month on which for fifteen long centuries the Passover lamb had been slain, Christ, having eaten the Passover with His disciples, instituted that feast which was to commemorate His own death as “the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.” That same night He was taken by wicked hands to be crucified and slain. And as the antitype of the wave sheaf our Lord was raised from the dead on the third day, “the first fruits of them that slept,” a sample of all the resurrected just, whose “vile body” shall be changed, and “fashioned like unto His glorious body.” Verse 20; Philippians 3:21. {GC 399.3}

In like manner the types which relate to the second advent must be fulfilled at the time pointed out in the symbolic service. Under the Mosaic system the cleansing of the sanctuary, or the great Day of Atonement, occurred on the tenth day of the seventh Jewish month (Leviticus 16:29-34), when the high priest, having made an atonement for all Israel, and thus removed their sins from the sanctuary, came forth and blessed the people. So it was believed that Christ, our great High Priest, would appear to purify the earth by the destruction of sin and sinners, and to bless His waiting people with immortality. The tenth day of the seventh month, the great Day of Atonement, the time of the cleansing of the sanctuary, which in the year 1844 fell upon the twenty-second of October, was regarded as the time of the Lord’s coming. This was in harmony with the proofs already presented that the 2300 days would terminate in the autumn, and the conclusion seemed irresistible. {GC 399.4}

NOTE: That paragraph points to the error of the application by the Millerites "So it was believed that Christ, our great High Priest, would appear to purify the earth by the destruction of sin and sinners, and to bless His waiting people with immortality."

=============
Regarding Christ's crucifixion and the Passover:

Five hundred years before, the Lord had declared by the prophet Zechariah: “Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: He is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass.” Zechariah 9:9. Had the disciples realized that Christ was going to judgment and to death, they could not have fulfilled this prophecy. {GC 405.1}

In like manner Miller and his associates fulfilled prophecy and gave a message which Inspiration had foretold should be given to the world, but which they could not have given had they fully understood the prophecies pointing out their disappointment, and presenting another message to be preached to all nations before the Lord should come. The first and second angels’ messages were given at the right time and accomplished the work which God designed to accomplish by them. {GC 405.2}

============ Day of Atonement event --

Christ had come, not to the earth, as they expected, but, as foreshadowed in the type, to the most holy place of the temple of God in heaven. He is represented by the prophet Daniel as coming at this time to the Ancient of Days: “I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came”—not to the earth, but—“to the Ancient of Days, and they brought Him near before Him.” Daniel 7:13. {GC 424.2}

This coming is foretold also by the prophet Malachi: “The Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to His temple, even the Messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, He shall come, saith the Lord of hosts.” Malachi 3:1. The coming of the Lord to His temple was sudden, unexpected, to His people. They were not looking for Him there. They expected Him to come to earth, “in flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel.” 2 Thessalonians 1:8. {GC 424.3}

Ellen G. White Writings in Multiple Languages

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

visionary

Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
I think everyone here would agree on that point.
Agreed as well. agreed. As noted above I agree that studying the feasts to find out what they reveal about the Gospel is very beneficial to Christianity. I am not clear on what "else" would be learned by celebrating them that cannot also be learned by studying them however.
When the Millerites waited that fateful day on Yom Kippur, they were on the right track just the wrong Yom Kippur.. Given that they were ready, should it have been the right one, they had their hearts, mind, and body prepared for such an event. In this comes the importance of keeping them. It prepares the mind, body, soul and spirit for what the feasts represent, mean, and events that they represent to be fulfilled at the right time.

I am by no means suggesting do as the Jews do in their keeping of the feasts. The light has not come on yet.

Upvote 0

visionary

Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
Since the ceremonial feasts are there for a reason, since God always has deeper meaning to everything He does. Since the new covenant had the spring time feasts fulfilled in a reality lets take a closer look at the fall feasts that God has given us.

Feast of TRUMPETS (Leviticus 23.23-25)
(First day of the seventh month and start of the civil year) Tishri 1

Interesting that you find the Trumpets in Revelation. It would take understanding the Feast of Trumpets through scripture in the OT and through prophecy of OT prophets and NT prophets to understand the significance of these fall feasts.

ATONEMENT (Leviticus 23.26-32)
(The day when the High Priest atoned for the sins of Israel)
Tishri 10

I have been working on this Day of Atonement and the significance, which I have shown what I have found so far. I believe there is more to understand, and I believe that it plays a role in our understanding the how and why things in Revelation and the last days of earth's history will play out. It will also show us where we are to be spiritually in order to receive the blessings of the ceremonial fall feasts like the disciples were in the upper room and received the baptism of the Holy Spirit on Pentacost.

FEAST OF TABERNACLES (Leviticus 23.33-43)
(Final fall harvest of the Land)
Tishri 15-21

Final Harvest..... from the first fruits of those ressurected to the final harvest which are those that will meet the Lord in the air, those that are alive and those that are woke up by the Trump of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

visionary

Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
The Feast of Trumpets is about a remembrance, but the Bible does not tell us what we are supposed to remember!

On the first day of the seventh month is a Biblical Festival commonly known as the Feast of Trumpets. In Judaism it is typically called Rosh Hashanah which means, "Head of the Year." Neither the name of the festival or the meaning of the festival are made explicitly clear in the Bible. The symbolism of the festival is something of a mystery, a sort of Bible riddle begging to be solved. The Bible grants us only two sparse verses to explain the festival:

"In the seventh month, on first day of the month, it will be for you a sabbath, a trumpet blast memorial, a sacred assembly. All regular work you shall not do, and you shall cause to be brought near to the LORD an offering made by fire." (Leviticus 23:23,24)

Bible commands us to blow the shofar on the Feast of Trumpets as a memorial, but it does not tell us what the blowing of the shofar memorializes! But when the same chapter comes to speak of the first day of the seventh month, there is only a few vague details. No explanations or deeper meanings are divulged. No explanations or deeper meanings are divulged.

From the above passage we do learn that a trumpet is to be blown as a remembrance on this day. The Hebrew says that this particular day will be a "trumpet blast memorial." But what is the trumpet blast memorial a memorial of?

Various attempts have been made to explain the Festival. By searching through the Scriptures for references to shofars and trumpets blasts, a plethora of different remembrances were suggested. Each remembrances highlights a unique aspect of the festival. Each remembrance is a key facet to the holiday and its accompanying prayer service.

Upvote 0

visionary

Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
The Ten Remembrances

11. CORONATION: In the Scriptures, the trumpet is sounded at the coronation of a king. The blast of the trumpet announces the newly crowned King and proclaims his ascent to sovereignty. We see this well illustrated in the coronation contest for David's throne (1 Kings 1:39). Psalm 47:5 and 98:6 also illustrate the trumpet blast as a coronation acclamation. According to ancient Jewish tradition, the first day of the seventh month is the yearly anniversary of God's completion of creation. As such, it is also the New Year's Day of the Biblical Calendar. This New Year's Day aspect is reflected in the festival's common Hebrew name: Rosh Hashanah. Rosh Hashanah, as previously mentioned, means, "Head of the Year." The first day of the seventh month then marks and remembers the anniversary of the completion of creation as well as the day that God became King over that new creation. Therefore, sound of the shofar on Rosh Hashanah is a remembrance of the coronation of the King of the Universe, and it symbolizes our acceptance of God as King.

2. REPENTANCE: Rosh Hashanah marks the beginning of a ten day countdown to the Yom Kippur (The Day of Atonement). Because the Yom Kippur is judgment day, the shofar is sounded as a reminder that judgment is very near and the time for repentance is short.

In Temple times, the priesthood sounded three trumpet blasts every morning to announce the opening of the Temple gates (Edersheim, 1992). So too, it is believed, that the first shofar blasts of the Feast of Trumpets announce the opening of the gates of Heaven. This is traditional Rosh Hashanah image is fully employed in Revelation 4:1 when the Apostle looks and sees a door standing open in heaven and then hears a voice like a shofar say, "Come up here . . ."

In this tradition, the gates of Heaven are opened to receive our prayers of repentance and remain open until the conclusion of the Day of Atonement. The Day of Atonement service is concluded with one long shofar blast which announces that the gates of heaven have closed and judgement is complete. Therefore, the sound of the Trumpet on Feast of Trumpets is a remembrance of the need to repent before judgement is made. "When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the the door, and ye being to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are:" Luke 13:25 (read the rest of the parable)

3. SINAI: When God descended onto Mount Sinai in Exodus 19, a heavenly trumpet sounded loud and long. The sound of the trumpet at Sinai was one of the miraculous signs that accompanied the giving of the Torah and the invitation to covenant. Therefore, the sound of the trumpet on Feast of Trumpets is a remembrance of the day at Mount Sinai when Israel accepted her covenant with God: the Ten Commandments.

4. WARNING: In ancient Israel, a watchman blew a trumpet to sound an alarm when danger was approaching, much the way civil defense sirens are used in our modern world. When the Israelite heard the sound of the shofar, he knew to take warning of some imminent danger. Ezekiel employs this image by comparing the words of the prophets to the sound of the trumpet warning. Ezekiel says, "The listener who heard the voice of the trumpet and did not taking warning, and a sword came and took him, his blood will be on his own head." (Ezekiel 33:4, see also Jeremiah 4:19-21). That is to say, "If a person heard the words of the prophet but did not take warning from them, it will be his own fault when the trouble comes." Therefore, the sound of the trumpet on Rosh Hashanah is a remembrance of the need to take warning from the words of the prophets.

5. TEMPLE: In the Ancient Near East, the trumpet was blown as a battle cry during seiges and assaults. When the soldiers heard the trumpet, they knew to initiate the attack. The prophets invoke the battle cry of the trumpet as they repeatedly warn of the impending destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple. For a good example of this at work consider the following passage:

"I have heard the sound of the trumpet; I have heard the battle cry. Disaster follows disaster; the whole land lies in ruins. In an instant my tents are destroyed, my shelter in a moment. How long must I see the battle standard and hear the sound of the trumpet?" (Jeremiah 4:19-21) The Seven Trumpets of Revelation are our wake up call.

6. All Nations of the earth shall be blessed: A trumpet is made from the horn of a ram. The most famous ram in the Bible is the ram of Genesis 22 which was sacrificed in Isaac's stead. Perhaps that is one reason that the Bible reading for the second day of the Feast of Trumpets is Genesis 22. The prayers of the Feast of Trumpets are filled with references to this story. "By myself have I sworn, saith the Lord, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld they son, thine ownly son: that in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of heaven, and as the sand which is upon the seashore; and they seed shall possess the gate of his enemies and in thy seed shall all nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice." Gen 22:16-18

7. FEAR: As stated above, the ancient Israelite watchman blew a trumpet to sound an alarm when danger was approaching a city. When the city inhabitants heard the sound of the trumpet, they were frightened of what unknown danger might be about to befall them. Amos employs this image of the fear inspired by the shofar blast when he says, "If a trumpet is blown in a city will not the people tremble?" (Amos 3:6).

The danger which approaches is God himself as he readies the heavenly court for judgement. In Jewish observance, the intervening days between the Feast of Trumpets and the Day of Atonement are called the "Awesome Days." They are to be days of intense soul searching and repentance and even fear as we prepare to enter the presence of the judge of all creation. Amos reminds us to fear the judgement of God as we would tremble at the sound of the watchman's trumpet. Feast of Trumpets is a remembrance to fear God.

8. JUDGEMENT: The prophet Zephaniah reminds us that the "day of the trumpet" is a day of wrath, darkness, gloom and alarm. Indeed, it is the Day of the LORD (Zephaniah 1:14-16). According to the Feast of Trumpets traditions, the heavenly court is convened on the Feast of Trumpets.

Because the Feast of Trumpets is the Torah New Year's Day (that is the anniversary of the completion of creation) it is also the end of the heavenly fiscal year. As at the end of our calendar year, New Years Day is the day when the ledgers must be settled. On the Feast of Trumpets, the books of judgement are opened and all the deeds of each person are reviewed by the heavenly court for judgement. Ten days later, on Yom Kippur, everyone's name will be written and sealed for final judgement in either the Book of Life or the Book of Death. This imagery is reflected in Revelation 20:12-15 where John sees the ultimate and final Day of Judgment. On the Day of Judgment, Yom Kippur, the righteous are written in the Book of Life. The wicked are written in the Book of Death. The intervening days between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur are traditionally regarded as prime-time to sway the heavenly court's decision through serious prayer, repentance and acts of charity.

Therefore, the sound of the trumpet on the Feast of Trumpets is a remembrance of Judgement at the hands of heaven.

9. INGATHERING: Perhaps the most famous shofar reference out of all the prophets is Isaiah 27:13. "And it will be on that day when a great shofar will be blown, the perishing in the land of Assyria and the exiles in the land of Egypt will come, and they will worship before the LORD on the Holy Mountain in Jerusalem." This verse is a prophecy of the great Ingathering of all Israel. The Ingathering is to commence with the return of Messiah. It is anticipated and prayed for three times a day in the tenth blessing of the daily prayer. "But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, to the general assembly and church of the first born, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect."Heb 12:22-23

"Sound the great shofar for our freedom, lift up a banner to gather us together from the four corners of the earth. Blessed are you, LORD, who gathers in the exiled of his people Israel." And we know the banner under which we are all to gether.

Therefore, the sound of the trumpets on Feast of Trumpets is a remembrance of the ultimate Ingathering of Israel.

10. RESURRECTION: The tenth and final reason given for the blowing of the shofar on the Feast of Trumpets is to remember the resurrection of the dead. Understand the words of Isaiah 18:3 to be a prophecy directed to the dead. "As a banner is lifted on the mountains, you will see, and as a shofar is sounded, you will hear." This was understood to mean that when the final shofar was blown, the dead would rise and see and hear again. The Jewish legends of the coming of Messiah include a great shofar blast which wakes up those sleeping in the dust. "In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptable, and we shall be changed." 1Cor 15:52

Things to Come

In his letter to the believers at Collossians, Paul states that all of the Biblical Festivals are "shadows of things to come, the substance of Messiah." (Colossians 2:16,17). From the above list, it is obvious that the fall feasts are about the things to come. The list of remembrances reads like a synopsis of Jewish and Christian apocalyptic expectation. The warning of impending judgment, the call to repentance, the fear of the Day of the LORD, the Ingathering of Israel, the rebuilding of the Temple, the final judgment, the resurrection of the dead and the coronation of the King are all familiar eschatological themes which both Jewish and Christian communities associate with the coming of Messiah. It is clear that the Festival is ripe with end-times implications.

In view of Paul's statement that the festivals are "shadows of things to come," and in view of the ways in which the Spring Festivals of Unleavened Bread and Pentecost received a Messianic fulfillment within the events of the first coming of the Messiah, Jesus, one can hardly be surprised to find that the Fall Festivals speak to Messiah's return. Yeshua himself invokes Rosh Hashanah imagery when he says, "They will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky with power and great glory. And He will send forth His angels with a great shofar and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other." (Matthew 24:30,31)

The Riddle is Solved

The Feast of Trumpets is a remembrance of things yet to come. Revelation trumpets are a fortaste of the things to come in full blast if the world does not repent. It is a memorial of things that have not happened yet. Only with God can something be remembered before it has occurred! The Feast of Trumpets remembers the future work of Messiah.

Perhaps it is the obscurity of the future which accounts for the Bible's silence regarding the festival's meaning. The Feast of Trumpets's final fulfillment is still shrouded in the future. If so, then the sound of the shofar on Feast of Trumpets reminds us to listen for the sound of the Master's trumpet.

Parts of this article are in the magazine Bikkurei Tzion under the title "Yom Teruah, Ten Reasons for Blowing the Shofar."

Upvote 0

visionary

Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
My concern was over the ritual taking priority over the significance of the reality. Just like the passover lamb when it went from ritual to reality, many did not see what had occurred. To not be a part of those that miss the boat because of lack of understanding when it comes to the second coming, is my ultimate objective.

As far as enough is enough, I believe that God will have that day and it is when the day of atonement in heaven is over. There will be a point when there is no more excuses, there is no more need to sin, there is no more time alotted for, for the devil comes on with great wrath knowing that his time is short, so why shouldn't we? Studying the details helps understand the reason why God gave us these instructions in the first place.

Upvote 0

visionary

Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
To start the Feast of Trumpets you must have two witnesses spot the new moon. It is interesting that in Rev 12:1 there is a description of a woman with the sun above her head and the moon at her feet and the crown of stars. In the constellations, it occurred in 1997, that the woman was chased by the dragon and she had the sun at her head and the moon at her feet , which only occurs every 27,000 years. Back to the role of the two witnesses and the start of the Feast of Trumpets.

Now the two trumpets of silver can be paralleled to the two witnesses who are calling people to the last call of redemption. The two witnesses will call for the ingathering of the believers and for the journeying that will need to be done spiritually to be in the place in the wilderness, where God can again speak to us as it was at Mount Sinai.

Numbers 10:1-2 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Make thee two trumpets of silver; of a whole piece shalt thou make them: that thou mayest use them for the calling of the assembly, and for the journeying of the camps.

Remember brass represents judgment, gold is divine nature, and silver is redemption. There is no silver in the new heaven and earth reign of Christ, indicating that redemption has ceased for there is not more need for it in a new world of saints in whom is no guile, and who are perfect in Christ.

Upvote 0

visionary

Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
The Feast of Trumpets is usually now observed on not one but on two consecutive days. The (Jewish) day begins at sundown and ends just before sundown the next day. Similarly, the months were calculated from the New Moon. The only Feast of Trumpets is the only feast that is set apart based the time of the new moon. Since Feast of Trumpets is the only appointed feast that begins on the first day of the month that makes it easy to know. As we are trying to narrow the field as to when is the soon return of Jesus, it is important to remember what Jesus said,

Matt 24:36 No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

The next verse tells us He is speaking about the day of His coming. No one knew for sure whether the New Moon (the first day of the new month) would fall at the end of the 30th day or the 31st day. They had to wait until they saw the moon's crescent. We know that the Lord's coming will be signaled by a trumpet blast, the sound of a ram's horn. In the same way, the sound of the ram's horn ushers in the Feast of Trumpets. This is why this festival is celebrated for two days because of the uncertainty of the correct calendar day. Each new month was solemnly proclaimed to begin by the priests only after two witnesses testified to the appearance of the crescent of the moon.

Revelation 11:3 And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.

The trumpet was blown as a battle cry during sieges and assaults. When the soldiers heard the trumpet, they knew to initiate the attack. The prophets invoke the battle cry of the trumpet as they repeatedly warn of the impending destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple. One of the most famous was the fall of the wall at Jericho.

There is to be another time that the trumpet will sound.

Jeremiah 4:19-21 I have heard the sound of the trumpet; I have heard the battle cry. Disaster follows disaster; the whole land lies in ruins. In an instant my tents are destroyed, my shelter in a moment. How long must I see the battle standard and hear the sound of the trumpet?
Revelation 6:4 And there went out another horse that was red; and power was given him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth, and that they should kill one another; and there was given unto him a great sword.

The sealing of destiny are illustrated and announced with trumpets. There were trumpets that were made out of the horn of a ram. The most famous ram in the Bible is the ram of Genesis 22 which was sacrificed in Isaac's place.

Revelation 6:9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held: 10 and they cried with a loud voice, saying, “How long, O Lord, Holy and True, doest thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?” 11 And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

These that were sealed under the fifth seal, and told to wait for their brethren, could easily be waiting for

Revelation 11:2 But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months.

Revelation 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Watchman blew a trumpet to sound an alarm when danger was approaching a city. When the city inhabitants heard the sound of the trumpet, they were frightened of what unknown danger might be about to befall them. Amos employs this image of the fear inspired by the trumpet blast when he says,

Amos 3:6 If a trumpet is blown in a city will not the people tremble?

The danger which approaches on Feast of Trumpets is God himself as he readies the heavenly court for judgement. In Jewish observance, the intervening days between the Feast of Trumpets and the Day of Atonement are called the "Awesome Days."

On the Day of Atonement, there will be the coming of the Lord to His temple, your mind. The second coming, and the coming of the Lord to His temple, are distinct and separate events. The Day of Atonement is the coming to His temple and the Feast of Tabernacles is the second coming. The coming of the Lord to His temple, Malachi foretells as the judgment. Before the Lord comes to the temple, he will send “my messenger” to prepare the way just as John, the Baptist prepared the way with a call to repentance before Jesus began His ministry. Malachi with these words prophetically pointed out that this coming will be harder to abide by for some. It will be for the believers, the messenger of the covenant that they have waited for:

Upvote 0