• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟141,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
what made really harder lately is my doubts that swings and go between the issue and go in an endless loop of questions , I had existential questions since I was a kid.however I found relief in my conversion to christianity but now there back to make the problem even worse its like ocd is moving from topic to topic at some point in my life i had medical anxiety i would start to think or search if i have a certain disease. How do i deal with doubts i know deep down that i care and beleive and i want that but these thoughts are making me feel uneasy and uncertain about anything and there timing is making me question everything and whether i beleived in the first place .
Dealing with OCD is really about learning to be OK with a reasonable amount of uncertainty, trusting God to take care of the things that we can't know for sure. I just posted about this process on another thread; please see that reply (the most recent response at the bottom), as I think the principles can be applied to your situation. Basically, the way to deal with OCD is the same, no matter the theme. Here's a good overview of how treating OCD works: Overcome OCD: Recovery tips for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. And if you haven't already, please read through some of the material on OCD & CHRISTIANITY – CHRISTIANITY. There is some good information (from a Christian standpoint!) about how OCD works and how to treat it. I've found many of the blog posts helpful as well.

Upvote 0

Ryosuke

Jan 7, 2021
Beirut
✟12,146.00
Country
Lebanon
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Dealing with OCD is really about learning to be OK with a reasonable amount of uncertainty, trusting God to take care of the things that we can't know for sure. I just posted about this process on another thread; please see that reply (the most recent response at the bottom), as I think the principles can be applied to your situation. Basically, the way to deal with OCD is the same, no matter the theme. Here's a good overview of how treating OCD works: Overcome OCD: Recovery tips for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. And if you haven't already, please read through some of the material on OCD & CHRISTIANITY – CHRISTIANITY. There is some good information (from a Christian standpoint!) about how OCD works and how to treat it. I've found many of the blog posts helpful as well.
thank you so much for your replies and help , it gave me courage on its own and I told my mom that I'm not okay and we are looking for a good therapist that will help me , you replied every time and that was so kind of you to feel my pain and sympathize . I can already feel a bit better and hopefully with the therapy sessions it will be even better . God Bless you ! :)

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟301,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not unless you become a Pharisee and time travel back 2000 years. That's how impossible it is.
Yes. Now in regards to the unpardonable sin, the "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" is mentioned in Matthew 12:22-32 and Mark 3:22-30. This case of blasphemy is a specific one. In Matthew 12:31-32, the Pharisees having witnessed irrefutable proof that Jesus was casting out demons in the power of the Holy Spirit, claimed instead that Jesus had an unclean spirit and casts them out by Beelzebul the ruler of the demons. (Matthew 12:24; Mark 3:30) Jesus was specific about what they did to commit "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" and these Pharisees who committed this unforgivable sin were obviously not believers.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟571,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes. Now in regards to the unpardonable sin, the "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" is mentioned in Matthew 12:22-32 and Mark 3:22-30. This case of blasphemy is a specific one. In Matthew 12:31-32, the Pharisees having witnessed irrefutable proof that Jesus was casting out demons in the power of the Holy Spirit, claimed instead that Jesus had an unclean spirit and casts them out by Beelzebul the ruler of the demons. (Matthew 12:24; Mark 3:30) Jesus was specific about what they did to commit "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" and these Pharisees who committed this unforgivable sin were obviously not believers.

I would say also that unbelief in Jesus and the Holy Spirit is an unforgivable sin, because it eliminates the only way and means of obtaining forgiveness of sin.

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟301,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would say also that unbelief in Jesus and the Holy Spirit is an unforgivable sin, because it eliminates the only way and means of obtaining forgiveness of sin.
Continued unbelief is definitely unforgivable. (John 3:18)

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟141,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
thank you so much for your replies and help , it gave me courage on its own and I told my mom that I'm not okay and we are looking for a good therapist that will help me , you replied every time and that was so kind of you to feel my pain and sympathize . I can already feel a bit better and hopefully with the therapy sessions it will be even better . God Bless you ! :)
I'm sooo happy to hear this!! Please consider looking for a therapist who specializes in treating OCD (specifically, by using CBT [cognitive-behavioral therapy] and ERP [exposure and response prevention]). ERP is a subset of CBT, and these therapies are considered to be the most effective for OCD. I think ACT therapy is also considered to be good. Normal "talk therapy" usually doesn't help OCD that much, and sometimes just makes it worse. If you are looking for a therapist who can treat via distance, I know that there are some good ones who offer online/telephone therapy. Dr. Ian Osborn (of ocdandchristianity.com) is one who comes to mind. The added bonus is that he's a Christian and understands scrupulosity. Also Dr. Stephen Phillipson, a renowned OCD expert, offers services online at ocdonline.com. I think the IOCDF (International OCD Foundation) also has a search engine for looking up therapists. If you have any more questions or need encouragement, definitely please keep reaching out on here or via p.m.! You are not alone, and it is possible to gain a good amount of victory over OCD!

• Friendly
Reactions: SANTOSO
Upvote 0

Ryosuke

Jan 7, 2021
Beirut
✟12,146.00
Country
Lebanon
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm sooo happy to hear this!! Please consider looking for a therapist who specializes in treating OCD (specifically, by using CBT [cognitive-behavioral therapy] and ERP [exposure and response prevention]). ERP is a subset of CBT, and these therapies are considered to be the most effective for OCD. I think ACT therapy is also considered to be good. Normal "talk therapy" usually doesn't help OCD that much, and sometimes just makes it worse. If you are looking for a therapist who can treat via distance, I know that there are some good ones who offer online/telephone therapy. Dr. Ian Osborn (of ocdandchristianity.com) is one who comes to mind. The added bonus is that he's a Christian and understands scrupulosity. Also Dr. Stephen Phillipson, a renowned OCD expert, offers services online at ocdonline.com. I think the IOCDF (International OCD Foundation) also has a search engine for looking up therapists. If you have any more questions or need encouragement, definitely please keep reaching out on here or via p.m.! You are not alone, and it is possible to gain a good amount of victory over OCD!
yes im gona tell my therapist its definitly ocd the first session to work on this and if I don't feel the results I will keep searching for a good therapist. Thank you for being here for me you can't imagine how nice that was from being in my despair to rejoice in the Lord and his infinite forgiveness meant so much to me my mood changed already and hopefully with therapy i will conqueror ocd ! :D

• Optimistic
Reactions: Mari17
Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
yes im gona tell my therapist its definitly ocd the first session to work on this and if I don't feel the results I will keep searching for a good therapist. Thank you for being here for me you can't imagine how nice that was from being in my despair to rejoice in the Lord and his infinite forgiveness meant so much to me my mood changed already and hopefully with therapy i will conqueror ocd ! :D

Dear brother,
Have you set your hope in His word ?

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟141,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You're welcome! I pray that you find the help you need to continue this journey of learning how to manage your OCD. Please keep us posted, if you remember! :)

Reactions: Ryosuke
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ryosuke

Jan 7, 2021
Beirut
✟12,146.00
Country
Lebanon
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You're welcome! I pray that you find the help you need to continue this journey of learning how to manage your OCD. Please keep us posted, if you remember! :)
sadly I cant afford anymore therapy sessions , the economic state of my country is in hyper inflation (Lebanon) and and all therapy and everything else are too expansive , I did go for the first session but it was too expensive to continue so I'm not sure what to do anymore. The state of the country is terrible so I think I will have to survive until I finished my studies and went abroad to live to go to therapy :( and honestly I've been feeling guilty and depressed again lately , my family think its anxiety not a specific scrupulosity because I have not given them details , given details or talking with them about the topic make me feel so uncomfortable , any suggestions or advice on what to do ? :(

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟141,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry you can't afford therapy anymore! Thankfully, there is so much you can do to learn about and work on your OCD on your own. And that would be the goal of therapy anyway - to learn the tools that you can eventually implement on your own. So keep studying good resources, and applying what you learn! If you want to join the Facebook support group I'm part of, here's the link: Facebook Groups

I'm not very experienced in talking to others about my OCD, since my family always knew that I had it. But I found this site, which looks like it could be useful: How To Tell Your Parents You Have OCD & May Need A Therapist

IOCDF also has many resources. I haven't looked at them all, but here are a few links:
International OCD Foundation | Families and OCD
“Dear Loved One, I have OCD” — Tips for Individuals and Family Members about Disclosing Your OCD
International OCD Foundation | Families: “What Can I Do to Help?”

Upvote 0

Ryosuke

Jan 7, 2021
Beirut
✟12,146.00
Country
Lebanon
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry you can't afford therapy anymore! Thankfully, there is so much you can do to learn about and work on your OCD on your own. And that would be the goal of therapy anyway - to learn the tools that you can eventually implement on your own. So keep studying good resources, and applying what you learn! If you want to join the Facebook support group I'm part of, here's the link: Facebook Groups

I'm not very experienced in talking to others about my OCD, since my family always knew that I had it. But I found this site, which looks like it could be useful: How To Tell Your Parents You Have OCD & May Need A Therapist

IOCDF also has many resources. I haven't looked at them all, but here are a few links:
International OCD Foundation | Families and OCD
“Dear Loved One, I have OCD” — Tips for Individuals and Family Members about Disclosing Your OCD
International OCD Foundation | Families: “What Can I Do to Help?”
i joined the group couple of days ago :) , I did tell them I have ocd but I don't think they know what really it is , for now I've been fighting well with my feelings and guilt but I know it wont be forever I will be looking again for an affordable therapist I will be also applying what I will be learning via different sources :)

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟141,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i joined the group couple of days ago :) , I did tell them I have ocd but I don't think they know what really it is , for now I've been fighting well with my feelings and guilt but I know it wont be forever I will be looking again for an affordable therapist I will be also applying what I will be learning via different sources :)
That sounds like a great plan! I'm surprised, though, that they didn't know what OCD is - maybe some of the members don't, but the moderators should, since many of them have OCD themselves!

Upvote 0

Ryosuke

Jan 7, 2021
Beirut
✟12,146.00
Country
Lebanon
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That sounds like a great plan! I'm surprised, though, that they didn't know what OCD is - maybe some of the members don't, but the moderators should, since many of them have OCD themselves!
They did recognise it , but its my family who doesnt , for them OCD is the steoreotypical cleaning obssessions and im kinda scared to get into details honestly with them about whats going on exactly :/

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums