Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Not only that but they're going to toggle your internet, they're going to cap your internet use now and you're gonna be paying A LOT more for WORSE SERVICE.
No doubt :(

I live in the UK. Here’s hoping we don’t end up like America and Portugal.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,822.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Funny how the folks complaining about the monopoly status of the internet ... are the same ones who want to keep it a monopoly. That's just incredibly perverse logic. Free the internet!
What are you on about? How does the concept of NN constitute a 'monopoly'?

What do you even mean when you say "free the internet!"?

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Funny how the folks complaining about the monopoly status of the internet ... are the same ones who want to keep it a monopoly.

You'll have to take it up with them. Perhaps even start a new thread and invite whoever you think it is you're talking to.

I have three viable choices:

Which ones of them are going to choose to keep operating as if NN were still in effect? That's the choice I'd like to take - which company should I sign up with?

For those who may not know already, all major wireless providers will be offering ISP services within the next year or so as 5G begins to roll out.

I'd choose to take the provider which gives unthrottled service with no data cap. Which one should I choose?

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Are you serious? This will screw up the internet completely. Not only will ISP's have a lot of power but now they can sell there services like Cable Companies.
Hello?

Did you not know that the FCC's so-called "net neutrality" regulations codified ISPs identically as cable companies. Title ii was the 1934 regulation which enabled both the Bell monopoly and the cable monopoly.

Why would anyone want to do that again and have the trifecta of monopolies? :scratch:

Upvote 0

szechuan

Jun 20, 2011
✟59,926.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Hello?

Did you not know that the FCC's so-called "net neutrality" regulations codified ISPs identically as cable companies. Title ii was the 1934 regulation which enabled both the Bell monopoly and the cable monopoly.

Why would anyone want to do that again and have the trifecta of monopolies? :scratch:

You're misunderstanding I'm talking about how you're going to be paying more just like how Cable Companies run.

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Hello?

Do you actually know what NN was designed to do?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That’s the thing. In many areas there is only one provider so no completion to drive better service.

At times that has to do with franchise agreements your local town or city signed with vendors. Our area went through this years ago when a second vendor wanted to enter the market here. The government signed a non compete franchise agreement for x amount of years, and it was not legally possible. Luckily, our area didn't sign some crazy number of years like many others did.

We found out it wasn't the corporations that were stopping them from coming, but some stupid agreement our local government signed.

Then you have aspects like rural areas in which competition doesn't wish to come, because it won't be profitable enough for them. So, you are stuck with one vendor. I'm more thinking of more rural areas. In suburbs you laid fiber - for one example - and you get multiple customers to make your investment back quickly. Then you have middle mile areas (rural), and it would take to many years to get back their investment of laying the fiber down...so they don't.

Electrical coop's have been getting into the fiber game within the 5 years or so. It helps them delivery the electricity, but it also gives their members an option for internet and television. These are member run, and they do get grants and such to invest in their middle mile areas. Although, Electrical coop's aren't as 'for profit' as the companies we think about it - Comcast, Att, Verizon, etc.

There are other reasons for lack of competition. Prior to Net Neutrality? Those factors were present, and afterwards when the law was put in place? Nothing changed.

Upvote 0

szechuan

Jun 20, 2011
✟59,926.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
We found out it wasn't the corporations that were stopping them from coming, but some stupid agreement our local government signed.

Corporations makes deals with the government. It was both.

There are other reasons for lack of competition. Prior to Net Neutrality? Those factors were present, and afterwards when the law was put in place? Nothing changed.

taking away Net Neutrality means ISP's can screw us even harder.

• Winner
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Net Neutrality means ISP's can screw us even harder.

I want to know what got better under this Net Neutrality? I can't think of anything. The lack of competition was still present. The service? Nothing changed.

Rural areas in that have NO service provider at all? Still waiting. Nada still.

Corporations makes deals with the government. It was both.

lol that's kind of obvious don't you think? The government was stupid enough to sign the agreements that the corporations presented. There are some towns that have agreements for 99 years. The government signed the franchise agreement to stop competition from coming in, and Net Neutrality did nothing to change that. So, when people complain about the lack of competition in some circumstances? They need to ask the numskulls that signed the agreements their reason for placing their area in that position.

• Winner
Reactions: NightHawkeye
Upvote 0

szechuan

Jun 20, 2011
✟59,926.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
The government signed the franchise agreement to stop competition from coming in, and Net Neutrality did nothing to change that.

Again Net Neutrality is has nothing to do with "Franchise Agreements" it's about how they can't screw us even harder and throttle our internet as well as Capping our internet turning the internet into a even more harder Milking then ever before of our money.

https://www.destructoid.com//ul/448699-[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]THIS.jpg%27);

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again Net Neutrality is has nothing to do with "Franchise Agreements" it's about how they can't screw us even harder and throttle our internet as well as Capping our internet turning the internet into a even more harder Milking then ever before of our money.

https://www.destructoid.com//ul/448699-[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]THIS.jpg%27);

You spoke of lack of competition Szechuan - that's why I mentioned the Franchise agreements.

Now you want to say it has nothing to do with it. Why bring it up then?

Reactions: NightHawkeye
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
  • Haha
Reactions: szechuan
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Nothing changed because NN stopped it from changing.

Upvote 0

szechuan

Jun 20, 2011
✟59,926.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
You spoke of lack of competition Szechuan - that's why I mentioned the Franchise agreements.

Now you want to say it has nothing to do with it. Why bring it up then?

I didn't speak of lack of competition I was talking about Throttling Speeds. This isn't competition this is called Milking.

Upvote 0