• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Favorite/Least Favorite Slogan

epluribus36

Follower of Jesus
Nov 1, 2013
Ozarks
✟15,402.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The Serenity Prayer comes to mind, by Reinhold Niebuhr. When I was new to sobriety, it showed me what I really have control over, only myself.

Then later on, after I accepted Jesus, I discovered I didn't really want control, even over myself.

Let go and let God!

I used to hate a lot of them, "One Day at a time" "easy does it, but do it", "fake it till you make it", etc.

But I can't say I really dislike any of them nowadays.

Good question.

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
1479417_543823865712629_240863434_n.jpg

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Feb 4, 2005
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"You wont care how much I know unless you know how much I care"

This is not one I have heard, but it makes perfect sense & I can see where we really might utilize it, especially with newcomers. Good One.:cool:

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Feb 4, 2005
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
One I have heard and not paid much attention to until lately is

Decisions aren't forever.

This applies to things like changing my mind or adjusting boundaries as well as serving as a reminder that recommitting to certain concepts Like QTIP is necessary. (Quit taking It Personally). Some decisions need to be made on even a daily basis. I have made that decision in the past and I am making it again today :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

If Not For Grace

Feb 4, 2005
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Some of my Favorite One-Liners that I have heard in/around meetings lately are:

Insanity Knows no Bounds

You can never have enough of what you don't need, because what you don't need can never satisfy you.

It’s about Experience, Strength, & Hope NOT War Stories, Weakness, & Despair

Reactions: RedTulipMom
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rzim

Jun 11, 2016
Montana
✟7,705.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
"You cant think your way to right living you have to live your way to right thinking."
Then one is said alot by an old timer i admire. When he said the first time after about a year or so it blew me away. It brought the gravity into my recovery. How many times i had schemed a master plan to get sober that always evaporated.
Half measures avail us nothing
And
Pricipals not personalities. They r like life jackets.

Upvote 0

Chaplain David

CF Chaplain
Nov 26, 2007
USA
✟284,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"You cant think your way to right living you have to live your way to right thinking."
Then one is said alot by an old timer i admire. When he said the first time after about a year or so it blew me away. It brought the gravity into my recovery. How many times i had schemed a master plan to get sober that always evaporated.
Half measures avail us nothing
And
Pricipals not personalities. They r like life jackets.
I've heard this old adage before. As corny as it might sound to newcomers, it really is the truth and it works too.

Upvote 0