• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Favorite/Least Favorite Slogan

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh Mee Too! I have often said there should be a colon after Live:

(Cause if we got busy living like doing the things it says it Just for Today) We would not have time nor inclination to worry about having to "let Live")

Yeah-Think can be tough especially when by our own admission our thinking has become "distorted", but here's another one I like

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION!!!

(Good Ones Madison!)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Feb 4, 2005
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
dont quit 5 minutes before the miracle happens".

Hey I think that's great (reminds me of the old adgae of "it's darkest just before the dawn")

Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Have you heard "fake it til you make it"? WDYT
It's a great one as long as you understand it correctly. What it means is do what you'd be doing if your recovery was strong, and you'll find that your recovery will become stronger. If I go to meetings regularly, pray often, rely on the wise counsel of my sponsor and others in the program who have strong recovery, stay out of intimate relationships when I'm not ready for them, and incorporate the step in my life, then I'm probably doing OK even if I don't feel like I am.

What it does NOT mean is put on a false front, and do things like tell people everything's going great when I actually feel like I'm dying inside. I had a friend who was dressing well and talking in meetings about how great life was, utterly avoiding speaking about any of his internal struggles, and one night he went home from a meeting and hung himself from a doorknob.

So remember: it's both "fake it till you make it" AND "get honest or die."

Reactions: Rzim
Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Feb 4, 2005
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I call "fake it til you make it" the secular version of faith. "call things that be not as though they were" (goes along that line for me), but they all come down to my
best favorite of "Take what you like & leave the rest".

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Feb 4, 2005
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Got another one from a fellow poster on another thread (Step 2)

"I can't, He can, I think I'll let Him"

this is often an express version of the 1st 3 steps..

Does no one other than me use slogans? (I can't get by w/o em)

He has great thoughts on Recovery from Drugs & Hepatitis C

Reactions: Rzim
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Red A.

Dec 1, 2010
✟7,698.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My least favorite? The latest treatment center nonsense; triggers. Ya want to know that my trigger was? Oxygen. If there was oxygen present I needed a drink. When the obsession had control over my brain everything around me made me think about getting another drink.

My favorite is one day at a time.

One day at a time is a tenant of the AA program that goes through something of a metamorphosis as you work the program. In the early days of sobriety one day at a time is something of a party trick to get through a few white knuckle days. However, the AA program is about more than just struggling from moment to moment, this is about quitting for good and all.

Today is one thing that this disease took from me. While drinking, my life was a bitter hostile place to be. The drinking was killing me but the noise in my head was killing me faster. Party tricks would work only for just so long, This had to change for me to stay sober and sane for any significant amount of time.

Once you reach the fourth step 'one day at a time' really blossoms into an anchor point of sobriety. If you look at the first major categories of the 4th step, they are resentment and fear. These things rob me of any peace in my life today as resentment is all about yesterday and fear is almost always about tomorrow. This is a large part of what makes right here right now a horrible place to live.

When I am not at peace with today I can look for these two defects and go to god for help to remove the culprit. When I shake off the chains of yesterday and slip free of the yoke of tomorrow I can finally live my life one day at a time, I can live in today, and when it comes down to it that's what the AA program gives me, today, and in the end, today is all we really have.

Upvote 0

HUBIE

A Blind Beggar
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, ME
✟7,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I like the paragraphs on pg. 417 (depends on which edition of the Big Book you have); that deals with "ACCEPTANCE". Gets me out of my own head and keeps me from taking too many inventories. Reminds me of Jesus's words on judging others too.

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Feb 4, 2005
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My Sponsor tells me to NOT to Think. He makes a valid point; My best thinking got me drunk.....
smile.gif

I'll bet your best thinking got you to the program (or at least to thinking hey this could work for me like it has for others)--most of us give little or NO thought at all to the substances we abuse(d).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I like the paragraphs on pg. 417 (depends on which edition of the Big Book you have); that deals with "ACCEPTANCE". Gets me out of my own head and keeps me from taking too many inventories. Reminds me of Jesus's words on judging others too.

I love the acceptance passage in that story. It has helped me more than once to take a look at something that bothered me, and try to see it from a different perspective.

Trish R.

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Feb 4, 2005
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A member at a meeting today came up with what she called a new one:

"Watch Where You step" kinda goes w/THINK

I thought it was cute and worth a mention.. Sometimes we don't even have to think
too deeply to stay out of trouble IF we just Watch where we're going, and be aware
of our surroundings-kinda like HALT....

Your thoughts Welcome

Upvote 0