Central Illinois
✟267,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
These are some recent tabletop wargaming figures I painted. I don't play the games, but I like the figures. Painting them is relaxing for me and helps to quiet my mind for a bit. Now that I'm in my 40s, I have to paint under an illuminated magnifying glass with brushes as small as 18/0, so it takes a lot of hours on each of these little figures to paint and detail them.

My painting skills are still quite amateurish compared to many other painters out there, but this particular hobby is still new to me, so I'm confident I'll get better at it as time goes by.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
These are some recent tabletop wargaming figures I painted. I don't play the games, but I like the figures. Painting them is relaxing for me and helps to quiet my mind for a bit. Now that I'm in my 40s, I have to paint under an illuminated magnifying glass with brushes as small as 18/0, so it takes a lot of hours on each of these little figures to paint and detail them.

My painting skills are still quite amateurish compared to many other painters out there, but this particular hobby is still new to me, so I'm confident I'll get better at it as time goes by.

I am not into war games and figures---but I liked it as I certainly appreciate the work that goes into painting them. I did some ceramics once, just painted them, it was a lot of fun and very relaxing.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
i used to know how to crochet but forgot. it's not like riding a bike. lol.
My grandmother used to crochet, and she sold a lot of what she made. I still have some of her pieces, though, and they are beautiful.

Upvote 0

Boss_BlueAngels

Life is better when you're flying upside down.
Jul 19, 2005
Seattle
Visit site
✟14,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Photography. It can be so incredibly relaxing out on a beautiful summer sunset over the Puget Sound. And also an incredible adrenaline rush as I'm being hoisted down to a snowbank in -30 weather underneath a Search and Rescue helicopter.

Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Today is my little sister's birthday. She was born on Saint Lucia's Day, and is named Lucia, which means "light." She was born with the spark of light in her heart, and has a luminous presence that makes every day brighter.

I made this for her:

I didn't actually build it, of course. I painted it gold, and added six unique drawings made with tiny dots from a paint pen rather than brushstrokes, then added the gemstones.

I loved the process of making this for her. I think I've found a new hobby to pursue.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Paracordwork.jpg

Mostly wristbands but also make Lanyards for knives :)

I've used that same technique with macrame cord to make dog collars for my bulldogs who need an extra wide collar so they don't choke.

Reactions: Hazelnut
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaveHTexas

Dec 23, 2016
League City, TX
✟39,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It all depends on time, and finances. I have multiple hobbies. My favorites however in order are...
#1. Camping, particularly overlanding. I.E. using a 4wd vehicle to get to where the campsite is, usually down a logging road, lonely beach or whatnot, and set up tents for sleeping, cooking, and even bathroom. I'm too broke to afford one of those big diesel truck based off road RVs so I do tents... For me there is nothing that gives me the feeling of having God sitting next to you listening as you pray as to pray sitting on a log by a camp fire.
#2. Music. I play electric bass, and I am trying to learn guitar. I am awful but it brings me joy. I am not sure you could say I learned, or just figured out but I learned to play Amazing Grace on Fretless bass a while back and the sound is, uh. not everyones cup of tea, but I REALLY like it. If you are unfamiliar the funky wah wah deep tones on Pink Floyd's Hey You is Fretless bass... It has a VERY unique sound. Like camping, I use playing as a means, well to pray. And worship. I like pop music, classic rock / country as well but I am trying to learn Praise and Worship songs too...
#3. Woodworking. I finally found the plans for the cobblers bench my dad made before I was born that we used for our coffee table when I was a kid. That particular coffee table went away decades ago, I never told my Dad I wanted it. Oops. Well I would like to make a copy of it. While most of my woodworking is done with machines, some of my favorite processes involve a hand plane, or a chisel and mallet. My shop mallet I made from a mix of walnut that a fellow brought into TX years ago and never got around to using, and Pecan that I milled myself from one of my neighbors trees. The head was done on the various saws, glued up, and trued by hand, the handle was a wood blend like the head and once the rough blank was ready, I turned it on my lathe.

There are others, but those are my top 3.

Upvote 0

southwestforests

Jul 13, 2022
Missouri
✟8,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
Favorite hobby, or hobbies ...
Health has slowed me down on doing hobbies and ended my days employed in hobbies, or employed at all.
But I still poke along at several things;
writing a sci-fi story (that's what's getting most attention currently)
model trains
flying model rockets
plastic model planes, boats, spacecraft real and fictional
going to fly kites (haven't tried sewing my own but a local library has a really, REALLY, good book for that)
sci-fi and historical game miniatures.

Even have a rubberband powered balsa wood submarine which really goes.
Built it in 2005 from plans in a book parents gave me in 1970-something in 4th grade.
The design has been substantially improved from the very basic one in book plans!
There are a couple others begun which now may never get finished.

PRS1headingbacktosurface.jpg
cruisingbottomabout5ftdown.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

southwestforests

Jul 13, 2022
Missouri
✟8,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
those are so cool
Thanks!
Now that I live in an apartment which doesn't have a swimming pool it sees rather less use but our county seat farm burg's city pool staff have let me run it a time or two right before the pool opened for the day.
It will go the length of an Olympic size pool, with about 1/2 to 2/3 the distance underwater.
Power is the same rubber band material used in the balsa wood and tissue model airplanes.
Photo on dresser top shows rubber band motors. The rubber band is purchased in a continuous strip by weight.
Sub is what is termed "dynamic diving" where it only dives when under power with water flowing over dive planes. Is ballasted to have a bit of positive buoyancy and float with deck awash.
Do have a kit for a radio control sub but don't know if my health will allow finishing it.
RC subs can get quite large and sophisticated.
Here's a YT channel where that can be seen, https://www.youtube.com/user/RCSubGuy
Last 2 images are it under construction & with one I built for a neighbor several years ago.
My models are about 2ft, 60cm, long.
The figures are 1/72 scale, making them about 1 inch, 25mm, tall.

IMG_8055.JPG
66c.jpg
PRS_1 being built.jpg
IMG_1668.jpg

Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟423,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
My favorite hobby is the write. I use WPS Office Writer or LibreOffice Writer and write. I am working on a novel based on the short stories I used to write as a child. Its been 20 years of working on it and I feel like this next year I will complete the book.

Upvote 0