Apr 12, 2004
Bossier City, LA (removed from his native South C
✟22,974.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Charleston AFB
Lots of beaches, 3 seasons most of the time (no real fall), lots of culture and history, friendly people, TONS of golf courses

Fairchild AFB
beautiful countryside, 4 seasons, nice people (except lots have an extreme tendnecy for racism...you'd think Charleston would be that way, but it's not), Lots to do

Cannon AFB
(just kidding)

Upvote 0

WarSong

Remember Hiroshima? REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR!
Jan 23, 2004
Visit site
✟2,172.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Seymour Johnson AFB wasn't bad - the town was pretty crappy, but everything was two hours away; Raleigh, the beach, so on and so forth. The base itself was pleasent, though small.

RAF Mildenhall is decent as well. All three USAF bases clustered together here (Lakenheath, Mildenhall and Feltwell) each have distinct personalities, and I like Lakenheath but Mildenhall is definitely the most relaxing in my opinion.

Upvote 0

daveleau

In all you do, do it for Christ and w/ Him in mind
Apr 12, 2004
✟22,974.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why Minot? :) I've had to divert there, spending 2 days in November and the cold winters and lack of the amenities of a larger city made it appear to be someone less desirable, IMO. Minot is the only other base that I can be stationed at unless I go do something else or go to a staff job (long time away). I've heard the community is tight knit in Minot and the outdoors activities are great for hunting and x-country skiing. Is this why?
Dave

Upvote 0

LostnFound

Nov 21, 2004
Florida Panhandle
Visit site
✟8,545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, Dave, it is a very tight community. And it flows both ways, between the MilCom and the CivCom. It took me a LONGGGGG time to acclimate, being from Texas, but I think my 2 years in Germnay helped prepare me for the colder climate. I am not sporty or a hunter, but, yes, those are big. I am a fisher-chick ( ;-) ), and I had a little honey-spot that I could go to anytime, without fear for my personal safety. I learned to LOVE Pike! hehehe They learned to FEAR me!

MSU is a terrific school, and the health care community in Minot is outstanding. They have the State Fair grounds, with tons of ongoing activities, not the least of which is the frequent flea market set-up!

From what I hear, the town has really grown and changed in the 7+ years since we left, but I can't imagine it has outgrown its hometown feel. I would go back in a second!!!

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hahn AFB Germany(Main base): The most fun other then summer. Winefest, Beerfest,
Castles, Autobahn to anyother country I wanted to go. (even found Countrys I didn't want to find. (Comunist Yugoslavia.) (If you can't beat em, GLCM)

Araxos Greece: Best in Summer. All the tourists, the beaches, the USO shows.
But th worst base for all other seasons. Greek women, Greek men, Cold houses.(slab-marble homes.no insolation) poor plumbing.(The trash can next to the comode is not something to knock over.(the pipes can't handle toilet paper.)
I am AXE GRINDERII.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jhollas

Christian Soldier
May 6, 2004
The Shire
✟8,618.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I'm an Army Brat, but loved it when we were posted out to BATUS in Alberta. We lived in a little place called Medicine Hat.
I have very fond memories of going to Banff while out there, and would love to go back sometime, before I go in a military capacity!

Upvote 0

Sybaris

Mar 7, 2004
✟8,414.00
Faith
Atheist
USS Blue Ridge homeported in Yokosuka Japan because we went everywhere. Spent a month in Australia twice hitting 4 ports each time. Went to Shanghai when that Tianemen Square deal was going down. Went to Hong Kong and the Philippines at least 3 times a year. Went to Indonesia, South Korea, Thailand, Malaysia often and many other ports in Japan. Second favorite wasn't so much the ship but the location. It was on USS Belleau Wood homeported in Sasebo Japan, beeeeeeauuuuuutiful country in Kyushu. I had a car and went everywhere......... volcanos, beaches, mountains, hot springs, lush forests and the best food in the world!

Upvote 0

BrentThomas

Dec 16, 2004
Minnesota
✟7,629.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Bamberg, Germany. It is in Bavaria, more scenic than northern Germany, and it is only about a 3 hours' drive to several countries in every direction. Plus, it was my only duty station. I am grateful, I could have gotten stuck in worse places.

Upvote 0

daveleau

In all you do, do it for Christ and w/ Him in mind
Apr 12, 2004
✟22,974.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My wife tried to see Neushwanstein when she backpacked through Europe in 99, but she got to the top of the hill and it was closing. :( We plan to go back when we can. The pictures of that castle are astounding!

My second choice out of Nav school was to fly C-130's out of Ramstein.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rainyday

God is my umbrella
May 4, 2004
Home town - Pittsburgh PA
✟8,417.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Sybaris said:
USS Blue Ridge homeported in Yokosuka Japan because we went everywhere. Spent a month in Australia twice hitting 4 ports each time. Went to Shanghai when that Tianemen Square deal was going down. Went to Hong Kong and the Philippines at least 3 times a year. Went to Indonesia, South Korea, Thailand, Malaysia often and many other ports in Japan. Second favorite wasn't so much the ship but the location. It was on USS Belleau Wood homeported in Sasebo Japan, beeeeeeauuuuuutiful country in Kyushu. I had a car and went everywhere......... volcanos, beaches, mountains, hot springs, lush forests and the best food in the world!
Once again I bump into you Sybaris. :thumbsup:

I'd have to say Yokosuka Japan as well. It's the only place I was stationed that gave me great access to travel to some exotic places. Some of the places visited by your USS Blue Ridge while TAD, such as: Singapore and Bali. Took a hop to Korea from Yokota. And visited British Hong Kong commercially. That and the country of Japan itself offered much. I had a list of ten 'things to do' before I left. #1 was to climb Mt. Fuji ... I did that. I never did ride the bullet train though. :cry:

Other than Japan, I've only been in the states since most of my sea time was spent stationed with the Marines serving as their FMF medic. I guess out of all the state side places, Bremerton WA had to be the best. Although the base was old, the hospital, at that time (1980), was new and 10 miles from the base between Banger and Bremerton. I traveled into Seattle every chance I could and hiked all over Mt. Rainier. Beautiful country out that way in the North West.

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
USMC brat. Loved GTMO! That's the Naval base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba for those who haven't seen the news since 9/11. We spent two years there when I was in middle school and I loved it there. It's very isolated, but there was lots of fun stuff to do there. Beaches, mountains and lots of mangroves where I used to live. Catching crabs was a great pastime! If you watch A Few Good Men the opening scene features the actual obstacle course on the base at Marine Site. = )

Upvote 0