I am Thorn, Master Thief, I do it for the chickens
Jul 21, 2006
On the planet Xxyzxy
✟9,879.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I read one trilogy by Mercedes Lackey some years ago-- Magic's Pawn, etc.-- and that was enough for me. Too much weeping and throwing arms around horses' necks from what I remember.

I think my favorite source of trashy fantasy would either be Tanith Lee or Lin Carter... :blush:

I have meant to reply to this a while ago, but my internet has been acting up for a while and this is the first chance I have had in a while...so.

I have never read anything that Lackey wrote by herself, so I have no idea if those are weepy or not. The stuff I have read she has all had a co-author and were nice to pretty good. I would recommend the Obsidian Trilogy. Only maybe twice was there weeping over horses, and that was when a favorite horse died or some such...other wise good story.

But I'm still looking for a really good book with all the magic and suspense and plot twists and all that...but :mad: WITHOUT ELVES:mad: ...I am so sick a tired of the elves and their perfection or beauty...I need a good fantasy/fiction without elves or their ilk...

Upvote 0

LadyOfMystery

Heart of Gold
Mar 25, 2007
North Carolina
✟279,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have a few favorite books..Anything by Lurlene McDaniels, her trilogy "Angels Watching Over Me" is a very awesome book and inspiring. I love the way she writes, and it's easy to read. I love ALL of the books I've ever read from this author, she really knows how to write a tear jerker too.
I also love the book "The Bell Jar" by Sylvia Plath. It's a bit hard to read, but it's enjoyable.
A Beautiful Mind was good too, the biography of John Nash. :)

Upvote 0

stonetoflesh

reformed librarie-keeper
Apr 20, 2004
Round Rock, TX
✟11,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But I'm still looking for a really good book with all the magic and suspense and plot twists and all that...but :mad: WITHOUT ELVES:mad: ...I am so sick a tired of the elves and their perfection or beauty...I need a good fantasy/fiction without elves or their ilk...

There are plenty of great elf-free fantasy reads out there. I would recommend any of the "Swords" books by Fritz Leiber, the original Conan stories by Robert E. Howard (*not* the pastiches by Carter/deCamp/Jordan/et al), Jack Vance's The Dying Earth, C.S. Friedman's Coldfire trilogy... Or you could try Michael Moorcock's Elric series, which has elf-like creatures who are totally evil and ruthless and decadent.

Upvote 0

RPGfreak

I am Thorn, Master Thief, I do it for the chickens
Jul 21, 2006
On the planet Xxyzxy
✟9,879.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are plenty of great elf-free fantasy reads out there. I would recommend any of the "Swords" books by Fritz Leiber, the original Conan stories by Robert E. Howard (*not* the pastiches by Carter/deCamp/Jordan/et al), Jack Vance's The Dying Earth, C.S. Friedman's Coldfire trilogy... Or you could try Michael Moorcock's Elric series, which has elf-like creatures who are totally evil and ruthless and decadent.

ok thanks, I need to go to the libary soon and I have heard of Coldfire from a few other people so I'll look for that and maybe something else, though I have read something were the elves were far from perfect and most of them are evil and self-centered, truly hatable, the Halfblood Cronicles. And I think we discused this series or author somewhere back in former posts.

Upvote 0

Nienor

why so serious
Jun 7, 2004
Seattle
✟29,716.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
ok thanks, I need to go to the libary soon and I have heard of Coldfire from a few other people so I'll look for that and maybe something else, though I have read something were the elves were far from perfect and most of them are evil and self-centered, truly hatable, the Halfblood Cronicles. And I think we discused this series or author somewhere back in former posts.
Yes!! Read the Coldfire Trilogy because it is simply amazing. I also recommend This Alien Shore by Friedman, but it's more scifi...

A Song of Ice and Fire is also elf free, but I'd also rate it NC-17, so don't say I didn't warn you. But it's the best fantasy series out there, IMHO.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JESUSFREAK1354

Hobbit loving Tolkienite
May 9, 2007
Louisiana
✟7,878.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What is your fave book or book series right now:confused:? For me its the Heritige Triligy, Eragon book 1 and Eldest book 2 and book 3 isn't out yet that i know of. second fave is the Sword of Truth series.

If we get a lot of the same books we can start another thred about that book. I'll let you know if I'll start that.:thumbsup:

I really liked these books alot, untill I realized: It's a complete reproduction of the original star-wars trilogy.
(I'll start a new thread if anyone wants to discuss this further.)

Favorite books... Lord of the Rings, (or anything by Tolkien!)

Inkheart,

The Magician's nephew,

Treasure Island,

Peter Pan.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Trashionista

Jun 10, 2007
The Copacabana
✟9,243.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals
A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens.
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery.
The Autobiography of Malcolm X, Alex Haley & Malcolm X
Persepolis: Story of a Childhood, Marjane Satrapi
Sadako & The Thousand Paper Cranes
Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Kitchen Confidential, Anthony Bourdain
The Witches, Roald Dahl
Charlie & The Chocolate Factory, Roald Dahl

Upvote 0