Father Asks Elizabeth Warren If He’s Going To Get His Money Back After Paying For Daughter’s Educati

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟822,458.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
When people work, they usually want to be paid. what is selfish ?
The man's concern was about getting his money back and not how people can be helped by Warren's platform. I don't agree with her but I would agree with Biden and get two years of Community College tuition free or find ways to get people in trade schools

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟822,458.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Did he pay for his daughters education ?
He said he did but his anger is about others getting their education paid for if Warren gets elected and he has paid for his daughter's. Warren's focus is about helping people in debt and helping future generations while he focuses on himself.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He said he did but his anger is about others getting their education paid for if Warren gets elected and he has paid for his daughter's. Warren's focus is about helping people in debt and helping future generations while he focuses on himself.
He did not give an example of a low income family. If he did I think you would have a point. He was making the point her plan would reward a person he knows who makes more money than he did and did not pay to send their child to college. Meaning Warren’s campaign soundbite of forgiving all debt would reward a rich guy who spent his money on himself instead of his daughter.

Perhaps during the next debate another candidate (because the media won’t do it) can challenge her and ask for details. Like some did for “Medicare for all.” Which ended up being a disaster when pressed to explain the details.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
No, that is the spin, (political decoy/ deception), almost certainly not the reality... otherwise she would have responded differently than she did....

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
The man's concern was about getting his money back and not how people can be helped by Warren's platform. I don't agree with her but I would agree with Biden and get two years of Community College tuition free or find ways to get people in trade schools
Good that you do not agree with her.
I don't think it is a good nor wise idea to throw in with those ideas/ that platform.... There's many warnings , I think, in Scripture against such shenanigans "for show".... unless proven otherwise, which seems extremely unlikely at best.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟822,458.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How is it selfish. If everyone’s debt will be forgiven is not the worker worthy his wages?
Sure, let him work and receive his wages but he's not wanting his wages. He wants what he paid for back if others who need help get helped.
Warren’s policy is a wreck rewarding irresponsible families.
I'm sure some are irresponsible but you have no way of saying how many are. I don't agree with her but student debt is an incredible problem. The average debt for the class of nurses and doctors in 2016 was $190, 000. That is crazy.
She should have said only low income families will be covered.
My problem with that is that the middle and upper class will be paying for the programs without getting the benefits from it.

I'd like to see Community college tuition paid if students maintain a certain GPA level or if medical school and nursing school grads volunteer in clinics or hospitals in poor areas.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sure, let him work and receive his wages but he's not wanting his wages. He wants what he paid for back if others who need help get helped.
I think his point is the man who had the means did not provide for his child. He made it clear the man he knew made more money than he did.

I'd like to see Community college tuition paid if students maintain a certain GPA level or if medical school and nursing school grads volunteer in clinics or hospitals in poor areas.
Good ideas but the current field won’t accept them. Bill Clinton probably would have in the 90s.

Why? Because you are adding merit and sacrifice. Both words are devoid in the Democratic field.

Upvote 0

LightLoveHope

Jesus leads us to life
Oct 6, 2018
London
✟79,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Father Asks Elizabeth Warren If He’s Going To Get His Money Back After Paying For Daughter’s Education

In a video that’s stirred up some attention online, a self-described father of a college graduate asks Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Elizabeth Warren (MA), whose platform includes “a plan to cancel student loan debt,” if he can get his money back after “working a double shift” and dutifully saving so he could pay for his daughter’s college education. Her answer inspires an exasperated response from the man.

In a video highlighted over at Twitchy, the father approaches Warren to ask her about her student loan cancellation plan.

“My daughter’s getting out of school, I saved all my money, so she doesn’t have any student debt,” the man says. “Am I going to get my money back?”

“Of course not,” the Massachusetts senator responds.

More at the link: WATCH: Father Asks Elizabeth Warren If He’s Going To Get His Money Back After Paying For Daughter’s Education

This question raises a serious social issue. At what price does society rate the value of education of everyone, not necessarily linked to GDP? Is it better to encourage knowledge and debate or limit it in some way, because there is not enough funds for everyone to attend college?
And those who attend, are they only the privileged few from rich families or everyone with ability and drive? There is true economic benefit if you have a meritocracy, because the challenges we are facing are not diminishing but growing along with our vast knowledge base.

If ones country is run by the brightest and best, funnily enough it will run well. Stupid people do make stupid decisions. But this all comes at a social cost, which honestly, needs to be supported by the society as a whole.

Funding drop outs and the lazy is equally not the way to go.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
This question raises a serious social issue. At what price does society rate the value of education of everyone, not necessarily linked to GDP? Is it better to encourage knowledge and debate or limit it in some way, because there is not enough funds for everyone to attend college?
And those who attend, are they only the privileged few from rich families or everyone with ability and drive? There is true economic benefit if you have a meritocracy, because the challenges we are facing are not diminishing but growing along with our vast knowledge base.

If ones country is run by the brightest and best, funnily enough it will run well. Stupid people do make stupid decisions. But this all comes at a social cost, which honestly, needs to be supported by the society as a whole.

Funding drop outs and the lazy is equally not the way to go.
What does a so-called "serious social issue" have to do with Yahweh's Rulership, Heaven, His Kingdom Today ? One of the oldest proverbs , maybe said to be the oldest but I can't verify this,
is
"BEFORE education, GIVE your son a trade"
in line with Scripture: "LEARN to work with your (own) hands, being dependent on NO ON" ....

and in line with Scripture again: "What men exalt and prize, esteem highly, God CALLS an abomination"

and again " Man(-kinds) Knowledge and Wisdom, even the best of it, leads to worshiping and serving the creature instead of worshiping and serving the CREATOR"
and as Scripture says, so it is, so it has happened world wide throughout the centuries, precisely and in general.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟217,232.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Yeah it all might look good on paper.....yes forgive student loan debts....

Until you really take the wraps off it and look at the whole thing and that is as the man says the GREAT INJUSTICE it is to those who worked hard, didn't spend their money frivolously, saved for their children's education and this is what the government does?

And Warren insists that the man isn't getting (I'll put it in a more site allowable term) getting taken advantage of? What the man's point isn't valid? He has friends who bought new cars, went on trips and their kids took student loans and they don't have to pay? So if this takes place the man didn't get ....................? Of course easy for her to say.

So....it all sounds good! Until it doesn't. Apparently Warren never thought through on the subject or maybe didn't listen enough.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
This is not a good point at all, and if I were on any other website I'd be shocked that anyone thought it was. That's not how time works, my man. You can't use changing circumstances to argue for money you don't deserve or else every person who bought something at full price that later went on sale could argue for the difference they're 'owed', every person who has bought a car or a house or anything else that changes in value with time could argue they're owed money when that value depreciates, etc. "I didn't know in the future people would get a better deal than I got in the past" is silly. Yeah, and the rest of us couldn't tell the future, either; what's your point?

The reality is that this man did the right thing, something which a great many people would do if they could, but higher education costs are so absolutely insane these days thanks to the growth of greedy and pointless school bureaucracies that many people cannot. If he is truly concerned and wants to do more than just score political points he should be complaining about the ever-increasing number of administrators who don't earn their keep at his daughter's school, the ridiculous rules surrounding textbooks and their price, and any of the many other things that make school prohibitively expensive (and to be fair, all the candidates should be addressing these, too; "free college" isn't some kind of panacea that will magically fix the cost of education).

As it is, it sounds like he's regretting having put his own child through college, not even because it was a bad idea but because other people's children might get to go too even if they don't have as good a support system as she does. I don't see how that's a good point.

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Apparently Warren never thought through on the subject or maybe didn't listen enough.
The values of politicians, of the world, are not nearly at all in line with truth , justice, or Scripture.
i.e. they may "think through" everything in GREAT detail, and even pay corporations to "think through" multitudes of things for them, on their behalf, to gain more support, to gain more votes, in error of course.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What reward does a Godly man seek , and from whom does He seek it or hope for it ?
I think it is written a few places that Yahweh's faithful gladly accept the robbing or ransacking of their own personal possessions (they gave them up when they were immersed in or before or as they were immersed in Jesus' Name) (in ACTS), and even
Jesus goes so far as to say clearly : Give to those who ask of you, and don't expect anything back ... THEN
your reward will be from the Father in Heaven, as He Says.
What emotional satisfaction do you get out of writing off-topic posts like this?

Is it that you enjoy changing the subject to something that 99% of members on a Christian forum are uncomfortable calling you out on because of the seeming piety of your remarks? Do you genuinely not see the utter lack of relevance posts like this have to the subject at hand?

If you reply, skip the piety and just level with me. I am sincerely curious about why you post so many off topic answers to other members. If I had a nickel for every time you've ever done it just to me, I'd have enough to buy lunch today so I'm all in on getting answers to this.

Upvote 0

alan650

Oct 19, 2006
✟25,263.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is a really dumb request on the father's part. While it's honorable that he did that for his daughter, it is absurd to ask such a question. He chose to use his own money for her college. The college debt load is astronomical right now in our country. She is truly addressing a crippling problem in our society that needs looked at. I personally think any parent shouldn't feel obligated to pay for their child's education. However, if one has the financial means, that is their prerogative.

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Liz was paid 400k as a professor. Yet she’s going to complain about the high cost of college?

U.S. colleges spend more on non-teaching staff (administrators, counselors, etc.) than they do on professors. See this piece from the Atlantic for more details.

Upvote 0