Father Asks Elizabeth Warren If He’s Going To Get His Money Back After Paying For Daughter’s Educati

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,055.00
Faith
Non-Denom
That is a really dumb request on the father's part. While it's honorable that he did that for his daughter, it is absurd to ask such a question.

Not when it was his blood, sweat and tears and hard work he carried out not to be a burden to society. What's that well known quote by JFK state?

"Don't ask what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country."

Warren's policy says you vote for me and I'll make sure you get a free ticket and for those who don't....tough luck....you got .....................!

I am glad for one thing though. This man's rightful sorrow and grief went viral and he got national attention. He can at least know he resonated with a lot of people and they'll do everything they can to make sure Warren isn't elected.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Not when it was his blood, sweat and tears and hard work he carried out not to be a burden to society. What's that well known quote by JFK state?

"Don't ask what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country."

This is probably not a good principle to state in this context, because it can very easily be turned around in the following fashion: what does more for the country -- when one guy pays for his own daughter's education, or when we all put in for the education of as much of the country as we can afford?

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

AceHero

Veteran
Sep 10, 2005
✟21,933.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'd like to see Community college tuition paid if students maintain a certain GPA level or if medical school and nursing school grads volunteer in clinics or hospitals in poor areas.

Similar programs like this exist. There are rural residency programs where healthcare professionals get their start in less desirable areas where in return they are able to go through a loan forgiveness program.

Reactions: Yarddog
Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeah it all might look good on paper.....yes forgive student loan debts....

Until you really take the wraps off it and look at the whole thing and that is as the man says the GREAT INJUSTICE it is to those who worked hard, didn't spend their money frivolously, saved for their children's education and this is what the government does?

And Warren insists that the man isn't getting (I'll put it in a more site allowable term) getting taken advantage of? What the man's point isn't valid? He has friends who bought new cars, went on trips and their kids took student loans and they don't have to pay? So if this takes place the man didn't get ....................? Of course easy for her to say.

So....it all sounds good! Until it doesn't. Apparently Warren never thought through on the subject or maybe didn't listen enough.
So this stupid, greedy father played the game wrong and guided his daughter wrong and now he wants to blame others for it?

How about this: Take RESPONSIBILITY for what you've done and deal with the consequences instead of blaming everyone and everything else.

I think it's hilarious that anyone feels bad for someone who could afford college for their kid. Then again, most of those people also feel bad for billionaires and huge corporations if any of them have to pay any taxes at all.

Upvote 0

Emsmom1

Nov 6, 2019
Los Angeles
✟41,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Warren wants to help people get a quality education without being debt ridden for years. He thinking about himself and not about his daughter and her children.
I’m pretty sure it’s a one-time loan forgiveness Warren is talking about - not in perpetuity.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Similar programs like this exist. There are rural residency programs where healthcare professionals get their start in less desirable areas where in return they are able to go through a loan forgiveness program.
Yes, I think that it should expand.

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
or else every person who bought something at full price that later went on sale could argue for the difference they're 'owed',

I don't think the two transactions are as comparable as they might seem. When contracting to purchasing something with cash, the "contract" is settled immediately - the buyer agrees to hand over cash and the seller hands over the goods. The contract is settled immediately and both parties hold up to their agreements. If the seller hands over the goods and the buyer takes off without handing over cash, then they haven't held up the agreement, or likewise if the buyer hands over cash and the seller refuse to transfer the goods, then the seller has broken their part of the agreement. Since these transactions are settled immediately, and thus the agreements are fulfilled, buyers and sellers can't come back later and claim they are owed anything, without sufficient justification of the equivalent of a breech of contract.

Here, the discussion is over contracts that have yet to be fulfilled. Student debtors would not be fulfilling their agreed on terms. I think the guy's point is about his fulfilling his contractual agreements while others would be allowed to their promises without cost or penalty. So long as a legal system requires some to keep their contractual promises and allows other to break their contractual promises without penalty, then it's not fair and he has a legitimate point. He was legally required to keep his agreement while others would be allowed to break their agreement at no cost.

Yes, of course circumstance in life change, prices change, and contractually available terms for things change, but value and virtue of keeping one's agreements ought not be one of the things that changes.

And I don't mean to downplay the student loan issue (I do think it's a legitimate issue), but simple loan cancellation doesn't get to the root problem - inflation in prices around higher education.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Here, the discussion is over contracts that have yet to be fulfilled. Student debtors would not be fulfilling their agreed on terms. I think the guy's point is about his fulfilling his contractual agreements

He never had any contractual agreement to send his daughter to college until he willingly decided to enter into one. It was a decision he made to pay for it, and now he's whining because others might not have to do as he did. I understand feeling irked to a degree (no doubt it feels in some sense unfair), but it's not like debt forgiveness would somehow make his daughter's already-paid-for education vanish. He/she still got what he paid for. If you're going to compare it to these sort of 'point-of-sale' transactions as you did earlier in your reply, then it really is like someone complaining that another customer got a better deal at the same store several years after they themselves made their own purchase. What retailer would listen to that? They'd be broke within a week if they honored such complaints by just handing out the difference.

while others would be allowed to their promises without cost or penalty. So long as a legal system requires some to keep their contractual promises and allows other to break their contractual promises without penalty, then it's not fair and he has a legitimate point.

Then I take it you are consistent in this and think that we should never have bailed out the banking, airline, and automotive industries?

He was legally required to keep his agreement while others would be allowed to break their agreement at no cost.

Yes, and if his daughter had been going to college and not had it paid for already by him, then she too would presumably be eligible for debt forgiveness, and he sure as heck wouldn't be complaining then! :rolleyes:

Yes, of course circumstance in life change, prices change, and contractually available terms for things change, but value and virtue of keeping one's agreements ought not be one of the things that changes.

But it does, quite frequently, when circumstances demand it. Again, this is essentially a proposal to give college students who can't pay their loans back the same sort of deal that several major industries have already gotten when they found themselves on the brink of collapse in the wake of the financial crash of 2008. Is the survival of the system of higher education in the United States and the relief of an entire generation of its graduates somehow less important to the functioning of the society and the economy than the bailing out of the airline industry? If so, why is that?

And I don't mean to downplay the student loan issue (I do think it's a legitimate issue), but simple loan cancellation doesn't get to the root problem - inflation in prices around higher education.

Yes, I already pointed that out. This isn't going to fix the source of the debt, only mitigate its effects on the lives of a select group of people who have found it impossible to meet their obligations under the current structure, given the reality of the economy.

You have not shown anything in your reply that causes me to think you have some better way to do things. Pointing out how things ought to be in some idealized situation that people are using this father as an avatar of does nothing to change the fact that it is simply not reality for the vast majority of students, or parents for that matter. So how far can the blame train really go, and why does it have to stop at the students? Why not penalize every family that fails to save for their children's education? Why not tell the textbook companies that no "new", "revised", or institution-specific editions will be purchased unless there is substantial reason to do so? Why not call into question the very structure of the modern American college and start rolling the metaphorical heads of useless administrators down the hallways of various departments until you've gathered enough to send into the school's budget department as payment for and acknowledgment of past wastefulness that has artificially inflated the cost of higher education to the point where a college education in the USA is the second most expensive in the entire world? (See the previously-linked Atlantic article)

Let's not kid ourselves, we don't do the above because it's not as easy as blaming the students themselves, or forgiving them en masse. Both are easy solutions to a complex situation that will not actually get better until or unless more fundamental matters are addressed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

shockmetwo

Jan 19, 2020
texas
✟3,549.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
“My daughter’s getting out of school, I saved all my money, so she doesn’t have any student debt,” the man says. “Am I going to get my money back?”
Yes, every time you look at your daughter, you can tell yourself it was you who helped her succeed in today’s world.
“Of course not,” the Massachusetts senator responds.
At the time Warren was asked this question; the only answer was a truthful answer & she gave it.
She should have been asked; “is there a plan out there to help future students manage the depth of education costs-?

Now that’s the answer I am hoping to hear.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: dzheremi
Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He never had any contractual agreement to send his daughter to college until he willingly decided to enter into one.

Of course he had a contractual agreement. Whatever college provided education services to his daughter, he agreed on some form of payment for services, even if it was in cash so that the agreement was settled immediately (or more likely, at the beginning or end of each semester).

Now, I would agree that nobody forced him into entering this agreement. He obviously did this of his own accord. But if he had received services and then refused to pay, then he wouldn't be let off without cost or penalty. Or if he had paid and the school refused service, then they wouldn't be let out of the agreement without cost or penalty.

Likewise, people who enter into contractual agreements for finance college through debt also enter into agreements to pay creditors. Nobody forced them to do so, though most of them undoubtedly feel as if this is a necessity for a better life. This guy, our "avatar" to use your term (I think a good description of what's happening too), was legally obligated to fulfill his contractual agreement. Had he received education services and not paid, then he would be liable for penalties and costs of various sorts.

So at least one of his points seems to be that he had to legally abide by his contractual agreements while Warren's plan allows others to break their agreement. The law is not being applied equally. Some are required to abide by contracts while others are not. And it's not even clear that the demarcation is rich vs. poor.

You have not shown anything in your reply that causes me to think you have some better way to do things.

Personally, I would be more in favor of some public service option that involves volunteering or working for public service of some sort (in the same fashion that the V.A. pays for doctor's loans or the military pays for school) in order to cancel debt. I'm flexible on what exactly that would look like.

Maybe there are ways to tie college loan terms to expected future incomes as well - also seems to make sense.

Pointing out how things ought to be in some idealized situation that people are using this father as an avatar of does nothing to change the fact that it is simply not reality for the vast majority of students, or parents for that matter.

I won't argue that this guy is being used as an avatar of sorts. Like any other sensationalized media story, that's obviously happening. His story is anecdotal at best and probably not descriptive of all or even generalized cases.

So how far can the blame train really go, and why does it have to stop at the students? Why not penalize every family that fails to save for their children's education? Why not tell the textbook companies that no "new", "revised", or institution-specific editions will be purchased unless there is substantial reason to do so? Why not call into question the very structure of the modern American college and start rolling the metaphorical heads of useless administrators down the hallways of various departments until you've gathered enough to send into the school's budget department as payment for and acknowledgment of past wastefulness that has artificially inflated the cost of higher education to the point where a college education in the USA is the second most expensive in the entire world? (See the previously-linked Atlantic article)

Look, I take your points and sympathize with them. I'm not pretending there's an easy answer here. People obviously see the statistics that college grads are better off in various ways than non-college grads and so people take whatever measures necessary to ensure a better life for themselves and their children. So part of the problem is that college education is seen as necessary,and so demand is enormous. Maybe there are better ways of conducting higher education - surely there are - so that supply can increase and drive down prices.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He thought he was, but he wasn't. He was just being a whiny, greedy baby.

Sure, I'm keeping it civil. Can you?

I don't know if calling the man whiny and greedy baby is civil.

The country would have to pay back these loans. That includes the man in question. That means all of us.

I was surprised Warren didn't see that question coming. She didn't handle it well at all, and I would be looking to my staff as to WHY they also didn't see that coming. She could have handled this so much better.

He sacrificed a lot to make sure his child wasn't saddled with the debt that he had heard about. Now, the country is asking him to also pay for his neighbor's child - in his example - education with his taxes.

Honestly? I don't think people would have such a problem with this type of thing if individuals also had skin in the game. That could look different depending on the different approaches that people come up with. Certain percentage would help to bring down loans to more manageable monthly amounts. That could be interest rates, length of loan, partial forgiveness depending financials, etc. Just giving money away isn't the answer.

It would also mean taking a look at tuition costs. WHY do they need all these administrators with high salaries? WHY do they need to bring in these high costs speakers? WHY can't they educate their students on their area of study - what it will pay upon entry/lifetime. There is more than wanting loans to be forgiven to deal with this issue. Since I went to school? It seems like more the government go into helping with loans to get into school? Tuition rates went up. So, the colleges got away with murder!

Sometimes politicians tells you they will give stuff away, and it never happens - or backfires when they do and makes the circumstances worse.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So this stupid, greedy father played the game wrong and guided his daughter wrong and now he wants to blame others for it?

How about this: Take RESPONSIBILITY for what you've done and deal with the consequences instead of blaming everyone and everything else.

I think it's hilarious that anyone feels bad for someone who could afford college for their kid. Then again, most of those people also feel bad for billionaires and huge corporations if any of them have to pay any taxes at all.

I don't feel bad for him, but I can empathize with him.

The people that took out the loans for school? They don't need to take responsibility for what they have done, and deal with the consequences...but should ask taxpayers to take on their obligations instead?

The father took on extra work to pay for his kid's education. Then we have graduates saying they shouldn't have to do the same? He saved for years on end to do this, and it was the same as a length of a loan that we are now saying people shouldn't deal with either.

I'm sure this Iowa father isn't worried about Billionaires or corporations - he was working and didn't have time to worry about them. He had his own load to carry.

I think it is to easy for Politicians to say they handle the loans of others for school, and to hard for them to look at why the costs are so high. Many of these schools are funded by federal and state money, and yet the costs are out of this world. I think the leadership of this country are the stupid ones. They are the ones that wait until a crisis point, and when it's too big to deal with? Claim the country will pay for it, because that will fix it. No it won't. I don't see congress passing anything to pay for it either. When did Warren discuss how she plans on handle that aspect? That will be a huge hill to climb, and she never mentions it in any great detail.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And it's not only him, but countless others sacrificed in ways to ensure both their education and financial well being. Some people served in the military to pay for school. Some studied hard in high school to get a deserved scholarship. Some served as doctors for the Veterans Administration to pay off debt. Some worked and saved for themselves and/or someone else. Some worked through college to pay. Some borrowed out of necessity and worked hard to pay back as they agreed.

Her plan devalues prudence, industriousness, public service, personal responsibility, and personal sacrifice.

It is a plan to rob students and their parents of the incentive to excel . If an education costs you nothing, then that is what you will consider it is worth. If it is worth nothing to you, then why work at it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Of course he had a contractual agreement. Whatever college provided education services to his daughter, he agreed on some form of payment for services, even if it was in cash so that the agreement was settled immediately (or more likely, at the beginning or end of each semester).

Because he voluntarily entered into it (as you recognize in the following paragraph), yes. My point is that this shouldn't be taken as a given. There are plenty of parents who offer little to no financial assistance to their children for their higher education, and it's actually not very common for students to graduate with low or no debt, precisely because the costs are so astronomically high compared to what they were when the father himself would've gone to college (assuming he did).

Now, I would agree that nobody forced him into entering this agreement. He obviously did this of his own accord. But if he had received services and then refused to pay, then he wouldn't be let off without cost or penalty. Or if he had paid and the school refused service, then they wouldn't be let out of the agreement without cost or penalty.

I would submit to you and the thread that there is a vast difference between being unwilling to pay and being unable to do so. Many pay over time, while others find themselves unable to for various reasons (most commonly that I've seen is that they are underemployed and the payments are too much relative to what they can actually afford to pay per month; this is where negotiation with the Department of Education comes in. via NelNet or some other loan servicer).

Likewise, people who enter into contractual agreements for finance college through debt also enter into agreements to pay creditors. Nobody forced them to do so, though most of them undoubtedly feel as if this is a necessity for a better life.

Of course, and I would add to this that many don't take the counseling that is a precondition for getting the loan (i.e., the various statements you need to read and agree to before you'll get anything) very seriously, which is of course a huge problem. My point isn't that students or parents are blameless, but rather that the way the entire enterprise of higher education is set up in the United States helps to create the current situation where millions can't realistically pay off their loans maybe ever, and there is seemingly no alternative than to apply for as many scholarships as you can and then hope that you'll get them all (and you'll still likely end up in a significant amount of debt; not to make it about me, but to show what I mean I can tell you that to try to minimize cost, I finished my B.A. in a mind-melting year and nine months, and I still came out of the University of Oregon with about $20,000 worth of debt).

This guy, our "avatar" to use your term (I think a good description of what's happening too), was legally obligated to fulfill his contractual agreement. Had he received education services and not paid, then he would be liable for penalties and costs of various sorts.

Sure. That's the risk you take on when you underwrite someone's education. It's akin to cosigning for them on a bank loan or a housing lease or something. Good on his daughter for actually finishing and getting out of there so that he didn't do all that for nothing.

So at least one of his points seems to be that he had to legally abide by his contractual agreements while Warren's plan allows others to break their agreement.

Yes, but the point I'm trying to make is that these are people who cannot abide by their agreements, for various reasons. You can tell them they have to until the cows come home; that won't magically make them able to pay if they cannot. They are essentially having to default on their loans and go into bankruptcy, which is a lousy place from which to attempt to start your life (work, personal, whatever). That's at least part of the reason why there are all these articles out about how millennials are unable to get on the property latter, aren't getting married, aren't having kids (or are having them and having to get on government benefits to raise them, or a number of other sub-optimal situations), etc., etc. They're in horrible financial shape because they're starting off shackled to something they'll have to work into their 70s to ever have a realistic chance of paying off.

The law is not being applied equally. Some are required to abide by contracts while others are not. And it's not even clear that the demarcation is rich vs. poor.

Of course it's not being applied equally, because not everyone is in such dire straits in the first place. I do know people who paid off their loans. My brother (41 this year) recently did, and he went to school in his early 20s, and it was a technical school, so it doesn't even function like a regular university. Maybe that's what a lot of kids should be looking into instead of a four-year university, because the costs much more reasonable. Still, paying everything off in ~20 years is much better than maybe paying everything off in 50+ (if you live that long and can actually work for all those years) because you went to a four-year university and are now swimming in unbelievable debt and came out of your education just to get a job you could've gotten straight out of high school (Starbucks, grocery store, whatever).

Personally, I would be more in favor of some public service option that involves volunteering or working for public service of some sort (in the same fashion that the V.A. pays for doctor's loans or the military pays for school) in order to cancel debt. I'm flexible on what exactly that would look like.

There are such programs already. There is one for those who go into teaching, though I can't remember what it is called because it didn't apply to my circumstances. There are also programs for those who go into the Peace Corps and similar volunteer organizations. I had a friend who did that, who ended up working and living someplace in Africa (I want to say Cote d'Ivoire or Ghana, but it doesn't matter) for a few years, helping install new agricultural equipment in various towns. It's a very good option, if you can get accepted into the program. (I don't know the requirements, but since the guy I knew was a fellow linguistics student, I'm assuming he probably looked better than those who would apply who have no second language skills.)

Maybe there are ways to tie college loan terms to expected future incomes as well - also seems to make sense.

It's been a while since I looked into the specifics, but I believe this also already happens. See this description from studentaid.gov.

Look, I take your points and sympathize with them. I'm not pretending there's an easy answer here. People obviously see the statistics that college grads are better off in various ways than non-college grads and so people take whatever measures necessary to ensure a better life for themselves and their children. So part of the problem is that college education is seen as necessary,and so demand is enormous. Maybe there are better ways of conducting higher education - surely there are - so that supply can increase and drive down prices.

My own story is also anecdotal, but I would say, having been through the system fairly recently (BA 2009, MA 2015), there are various things that could be done, but also some fairly obvious reasons why they are not likely to be embraced by colleges themselves.

Related to what you are saying, I would definitely say that the message that everyone needs to go to college needs to be modified. I would say everyone who wants to pursue a degree in a specific field that requires a diploma as a key to entry needs to go to college. Everyone else -- those taking 'culture' type classes (e.g., _____ Studies) or other classes that are a matter of personal interest that could just as well be pursued not in a college environment -- needs to think very hard about what their degree allows them to do. What does a degree in Africana Studies or Gay/Queer Studies or whatever actually allow you to do? If the answer is "teach ____ Studies", you are wasting everyone's time and money (most importantly, your own). I do not mean this to come off as some 'anti-SJW' screed or whatever, because the same thing can be asked in a slightly different way about my own field (Linguistics), which nevertheless is so broad that it can be and is applied to a great many fields that are outside of the academy (e.g., national defense, computer systems/information and software development, social services, forensics and law, etc). A minority of my friends in the field teach. The rest are doing things like speech pathology, or working with companies to build information systems or develop software. Again, the point is not to brag or put others down for pursuing other things, but to say that as a general rule students who wish to pursue degrees that do not have a bright or at least high adaptive future in the economy should be either steered towards something else or discouraged from going to college (that is to say, steered towards another avenue for developing marketable skills). The world does not need more English BA's who can talk endlessly about Chaucer but can't advance beyond being baristas because nobody will pay someone for their knowledge of historical background of the Canterbury Tales.

That universities themselves would be reluctant to be so blunt is obviously in their self-interest, as the university system has been converted in the last several decades to be a kind of all-encompassing ecosystem, and hence many people's phony baloney jobs need to be protected, and of course professors and administrators and the like need to have places to go to so that they can do their own jobs and receive their own salaries.

There is also the depressing but likely possibility that changing the current system to one that is less bloated and filled with out of control costs might very well have the effect of barring poorer people from attending college at all. If you cannot go without taking out some loans (and that seems to be the case for most people, though I admittedly don't have the numbers on hand), and suddenly this is not an option due to changes in how they are dispersed, then obviously you won't go. Then what do you do?

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
He thought he was, but he wasn't. He was just being a whiny, greedy baby.

He sacrificed and paid out of his own pocket for his daughter's education. He didn't make the Govt look after his daughter. Now, he will ALSO have to help pay for others! I would say he should get a tax credit and/or be exempt from having to also pay for any others loan forgiveness. it's only fair right?

• Agree
Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
He sacrificed and paid out of his own pocket for his daughter's education. He didn't make the Govt look after his daughter. Now, he will ALSO have to help pay for others! I would say he should get a tax credit and/or be exempt from having to also pay for any others loan forgiveness. it's only fair right?
I agree! It's only fair that the government should pay for everyone's tuition and reimburse those who paid out of pocket for the last 40-50 years.

You're even more liberal than me!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't know if calling the man whiny and greedy baby is civil.
I agree, you don't know.

The country would have to pay back these loans. That includes the man in question. That means all of us.
I agree. The government should reimburse everyone for the last 40-50 years (if it's even necessary to go that far considering that at one point practically nobody paid). You're even more liberal than I am! (And that's very liberal!)

I was surprised Warren didn't see that question coming. She didn't handle it well at all, and I would be looking to my staff as to WHY they also didn't see that coming. She could have handled this so much better.
Why were you surprised? She's a dumb person and a liar who wouldn't think that far ahead. She stole the idea from Bernie and has no actual idea how to implement it so she can't answer any questions about it. She got caught in her lie and was too stupid to come up with anything on the spot. She couldn't have handled it any better because she only touts it to gain votes and popularity after seeing Bernie's popularity skyrocket past hers.

He sacrificed a lot to make sure his child wasn't saddled with the debt that he had heard about. Now, the country is asking him to also pay for his neighbor's child - in his example - education with his taxes.
He sacrificed a lot? How do you know? Where did you come up with that?

The country is asking him to pay for his neighbor's kid? I'd like to see proof of that request. I'm pretty sure at this point you're basically making things up based on your own speculation.

Honestly? I don't think people would have such a problem with this type of thing if individuals also had skin in the game. That could look different depending on the different approaches that people come up with. Certain percentage would help to bring down loans to more manageable monthly amounts. That could be interest rates, length of loan, partial forgiveness depending financials, etc. Just giving money away isn't the answer.

It would also mean taking a look at tuition costs. WHY do they need all these administrators with high salaries? WHY do they need to bring in these high costs speakers? WHY can't they educate their students on their area of study - what it will pay upon entry/lifetime. There is more than wanting loans to be forgiven to deal with this issue. Since I went to school? It seems like more the government go into helping with loans to get into school? Tuition rates went up. So, the colleges got away with murder!

Sometimes politicians tells you they will give stuff away, and it never happens - or backfires when they do and makes the circumstances worse.
Not sure what you're trying to say in this last long segment - sounds like you're just thinking out loud. But I do agree with you that the government should pay for all tuition and reimburse those who already paid it. How do you propose that the government accomplishes this?

As for the colleges tuition rates going up etc. I don't know about when you were in school but I went to a major state university and paid very, very little. Each year of tuition and room and board cost $7,000. I got a couple scholarships and a loan at the rate of free/one-two percent from the government. With my part-time job during school and the summer I paid my way through and had money leftover for spending on fun.

What changed since then? Government stopped subsidizing the schools nearly as much thanks to the cheap Republicans who hate education. That's why it's time to go the other way on this. I'm glad to hear you want to reimburse EVERYONE, I wasn't thinking something so radical could be done but I'm all for it if you really believe in it and want it so much!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I don't understand the thinking behind the various posts that talk about how it is 'unfair' that the man (and all of us) would therefore have to pay back all the loans. Yes. that's how things work when inelastic demand helps to create prices are beyond what most people can pay. The same dynamic is at work whenever an indigent person goes to the emergency room (which is often the only medical care they can get, since you cannot legally be turned away from the ER due to inability to pay), yet we as a society have apparently decided that this is okay despite it being astronomically expensive. With these plans of debt forgiveness, college would essentially be placed in the same category as the ER.

I'm totally fine with people disagreeing with that on principle, but to act like it's beyond reason to suggest it in this specific case when we are already doing it in this other area that is also costing us as a society millions of dollars is a little odd, to say the least. I'm sure someone can respond that it is different, since a trip to the ER is presumably an urgent need, and does not take four years to complete (we should hope!), but the principle is the same: the person cannot pay by themselves, so society foots the bill. The alternative is that they go without and possibly die. In the case of college, the alternative is that they go without and possibly wind up on an even more expensive cumulative amount of government assistance over the course of the rest of their lives because they're unemployable and have no future.

These are discussions we should be having, and any attempt to boil them down to "This is outrageous! I don't think it's fair to have to pay for other people!" or "College should be free forever for everyone regardless of their circumstances" (or whatever the opposing view would be; I suppose ArmenianJohn's idea of retroactively paying everyone who has paid for college in the past 40-50 years) really doesn't do justice to the complexity of the problem.

Upvote 0