Standing on God's Truth Alone
Oct 14, 2006
Somewhere in Canada of course :)
✟15,429.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would like to jump in here and add a tid bit from my end if I could....no objections?....anyone?....ok then here is my tid bit contribution to this discussion (I have not read the entire thread by the way). ^_^

Last year I had occasion to go to Chile, which is the place of my birth. I had not been there since I was about 7 years old.

As soon as I landed and was there for a few days one of the most notable differences between those in Chile and North Americans was the amount of excess baggage being carried around. There was almost none there. I was the fattest person there at a modest 210 lbs!

They eat well. Their culture revolves around family and eating together. And there are lots and lots of restaurants available for anyone who cares to eat out. But they are NOT overweight! I saw one single, solitary fat person in all my travels around the main city in Chile in a span of about 2 weeks. ONE! And they may not have even been native to Chile.

I came back to Canada (where I am living now) via the U.S. and the fat on everyone was overwhelming! I've never in my life seen such a contrast. I'm talking fat just hanging off persons at the gym when they undress. Super fat people eating bucketfuls at buffet restaurants. Fat, fat, fat everywhere.

While being overweight may indeed be due to hereditary and other such factors in some people I would say that overall, being overweight is not a sickness that can't be helped common to the human race. For if it was there would be just as many fat people where I was born as there are in North America.

Trust me when I say that Chile is doing very well. Such that there is plenty of food to go around there. The buffets there beat anything I have seen in North America by far! Yet the Chilean people are not fat. At all.

One thing they don't do much of is go and eat at fast food restaurants. Fast food restaurants have not been very successful there.

Carlos

Upvote 0

BrightCandle

Sep 2, 2003
Washington, USA.
✟4,860.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I would like to jump in here and add a tid bit from my end if I could....no objections?....anyone?....ok then here is my tid bit contribution to this discussion (I have not read the entire thread by the way). ^_^

Last year I had occasion to go to Chile, which is the place of my birth. I had not been there since I was about 7 years old.

As soon as I landed and was there for a few days one of the most notable differences between those in Chile and North Americans was the amount of excess baggage being carried around. There was almost none there. I was the fattest person there at a modest 210 lbs!

They eat well. Their culture revolves around family and eating together. And there are lots and lots of restaurants available for anyone who cares to eat out. But they are NOT overweight! I saw one single, solitary fat person in all my travels around the main city in Chile in a span of about 2 weeks. ONE! And they may not have even been native to Chile.

I came back to Canada (where I am living now) via the U.S. and the fat on everyone was overwhelming! I've never in my life seen such a contrast. I'm talking fat just hanging off persons at the gym when they undress. Super fat people eating bucketfuls at buffet restaurants. Fat, fat, fat everywhere.

While being overweight may indeed be due to hereditary and other such factors in some people I would say that overall, being overweight is not a sickness that can't be helped common to the human race. For if it was there would be just as many fat people where I was born as there are in North America.

Trust me when I say that Chile is doing very well. Such that there is plenty of food to go around there. The buffets there beat anything I have seen in North America by far! Yet the Chilean people are not fat. At all.

One thing they don't do much of is go and eat at fast food restaurants. Fast food restaurants have not been very successful there.

Carlos

Carlos:

Thanks for giving a view of obesity outside of our US/CAN experience. It totally explodes the view that many have here in North America, that obesity is just something in our genetics. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would assume that since fast foods are not common in Chile that may be a BIG factor contributing to the average Chilean's low body fat percentage. It is well known that fast foods are highly enriched and processed, that create supercharged foods that are very detrimental to a human beings health. And I would assume that the average Chilean gets more physical exercise than the average North American.

Upvote 0

MidnightCandel777

Some Mountains Are Scaled. Others Are Slain.
Mar 22, 2006
Somewhere between here and there...
✟2,251.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I somewhat disagree.

American diet is extremely different than the diet eaten by the ancient Israelites. One only needs the $5.50 needed to buy a value meal at the local McDonalds. The caloric intake ammount compared to a cosher diet is amazing.

Upvote 0

Strongdad

Jan 25, 2005
Arizona
✟15,254.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
To me a FAT Christian means so many different things - it's a shame some of you only see it as one...

When I see a Christian that has a huge ego and is puffed up - that is a FAT Christian.
When I see a Christian do nothing when the world outside is dying - that is a FAT Christian.
When I see a Christian gathering up material possessions without giving freely - that is a FAT Christian.
When I see a Christian so stubborn to their ways that they are like a stick in the mud - that is a FAT Christian.

I see evidence of a lot of FAT Christians in this thread...

Perhaps even me...

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0

Gwenyfur

Legend
Dec 18, 2004
Everywhere
✟66,698.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
Seriously...which would you rather eat?
pic_big_mac_060705.jpg

or

255405835_8d17a07863_m.jpg

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Right on sis!

You've been busting me up this whole thread btw!^_^

Sis, Im glad I could give ya laugh, if we didnt?

Whats left sis?

The places wherein we should find joy have only make me weep, lose hope etc.

Besides, Isaac means laughter:idea: and after you done your time in the house of mourning (even as I have) there is definately a "time":thumbsup:

Ecc 3:4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh

Luke 6:21 Blessed are ye that weep now: for ye ~shall~ laugh.
yahoo.gif

Gal 4:28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.

Isaac = "he laughs"
Just_Cuz_13.gif

Thats a PROMISE;)

Peace

Fireinfolding

Upvote 0

Dvorah27

Mar 13, 2007
Peoria, IL
Visit site
✟8,628.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
More so in America than anywhere else in the world there are massive amounts of overweight people. Most of them here in America also subscribe to some faction of the Christian faith.

Now to me this seems hypocritical. Not only does the bible clearly condemn the acts and mindset it takes to get fat (greed, glotony... ect) but I see no difference between an overweight person and someone who would stand in front of a child dieing of thirst with a bucket of water taunting them with it.

How many children die each day of starvation... simply because they do not have enough money to buy food or there is no food in their nation. Over 1/3rd of the world population lives under the poverty line, they do not get enough food to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Yet these "Christians" can sit there and eat more food then their body needs. It is greed to it's maximum in my opinion and can not understand why instead of "supersizeing" they don't maybe save that money up and use it for something actually worthwhile, saving a child's life instead of just adding insult to those starving childreds tragity.

It also on a totaly other path of topic seems to be desecrating the our body that God created for us. I just can not see how anyone can justify such behavior with a Christian belief and allow themselves to become fat. Losing weight and/or not getting fat is not complicated at all.
I would agree if the person is fat by their own fault. The majority of the time this is the case. I have to say, though, that I am overweight & I do INTENSE exercise on an advanced level. I workout 6 days a week, am extremely athletic, eat my fruits, veggies, and whole grains. I do eat junk food on occasion, but not a whole lot. I have chronic pain, have had many medications which cause weight gain & water retention, etc... I remember taking a medication a few years ago that had me balloon in just a few months time, no matter how much I fought it.
So, I would just caution you not to pass judgment on somebody who appears overweight since you just cannot know what the personal habits are of that person.
My doctors are very happy with me healthwise from the exercise since it is keeping my heart healthy, bones strong, keeping a healthy cholesterol level, etc... yet, I am overweight. (not morbidly so, but not where I'd like to be ultimately if it were within my complete control) I know people who don't believe I workout until I take them on a hike & leave them huffing and puffing midway up a steep hill & I'm at the top saying, "hurry it up !!!" LOL
*gotta say I LOVE that. LOL *

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dvorah27

Mar 13, 2007
Peoria, IL
Visit site
✟8,628.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Carlos
Oh, I so know what you mean about buffet dinners here in America. I went to a buffet with my hubby about a week or so ago. It's a chinese food buffet, but they also have alot of fried batter dipped chicken and stuff there too. It's not what the Chinese family eats, they own the restaurant, but they supply it because it is what their customers want. I was not judging people while viewing them, but I did feel bad for them seeing them hunched over with bellyfat while carrying around these plates towered with fried fatty foods. The fruit area of the buffet was my first stop, but it is all the way to the back of the buffet because the in demand fat stuff is at the front for the vast majority of customers who want that stuff. The soup bar was also pretty far back there, which was my 2nd stop for a small bowl of soup & there was nobody at that part of the buffet. I was all by my lonesome. The baked fish was a little bit more popular, but more people wanted the fried fish. The broccoli stirfry was not so popular, but delish to me. I then sat down with my dinner of fruit, veggies, baked fish, and some soup. I enjoyed every bite & at it slowly. I realized people around me were not even enjoying their food. They were just shoveling it into their mouths, not even really taking stock of the texture or flavor of what they were eating. I sat for about half an hour or so to let my tummy settle & chat with my hubby. I wanted some pie, but I did not want to eat it while feeling stuffed. I only wanted a small piece & I wanted to enjoy it. I noticed others around me going up for 2 or 3 desserts, sometimes even more than that. They had filled themselves with several portions before they could even register that they were full. I later enjoyed every bite of a very small sliver of chocolate cream pie.
I think it is so sad for those people that they have such bounty that they abuse & they don't really even enjoy it.
I'm not judging them really. I think it's just an observation on how people in this country have become rushed not only in their work & family lives, but it has spilled over to the way they eat. They choose unhealthy things, but it wouldn't even be as bad as it is if they weren't eating massive portions of unhealthy things. They eat in such a rushed manner & don't really enjoy it. I think it's the enjoyment of food that has fallen away in this country, and the enjoyment of eachother as we share a meal. It's very sad to see.
What's even sadder is that restaurants can offer healthier options, but very few people want those options.

I think if people would just stop & close their eyes when they take a bite of food they would be surprised at what they are eating. They may find that what they think tastes good really doesn't, and they may find they enjoy something even more that is a bit sinful yet they won't need much more than a few bites because they've gotten sufficient enjoyment from it with just those few bites.

Well, anyway, what you said really struck a cord after my visit to that buffet. I'd happily go again since I enjoyed the healthy food they had there, it was fabulous. I just feel bad for the people there who are poisoning themselves & don't seem to realize it or they don't care.

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our nation must be faithfless

Mark 16:18 and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them:p

Wheres our faith?^_^

Burger or no burger which shall we chose?

Phil 1:23 For I am in a ~strait~ betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is ~far better~: :thumbsup:

Take The BURGER :thumbsup: For It is ~far better~ to DEPART

1Titus 4:8 For ~bodily exercise~ profiteth little

So why do it?;)

Peace

Fireinfolding

Upvote 0

bennyk

Jun 23, 2006
✟8,227.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Our nation must be faithfless

Mark 16:18 and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them:p

Wheres our faith?^_^

Burger or no burger which shall we chose?

Phil 1:23 For I am in a ~strait~ betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is ~far better~: :thumbsup:

Take The BURGER :thumbsup: For It is ~far better~ to DEPART

1Titus 4:8 For ~bodily exercise~ profiteth little

So why do it?;)

Peace

Fireinfolding
I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at. Could you elaborate more?

Thanks and God bless,
--Ben

Upvote 0

JolieHeart

~ Steadfast ~
Site Supporter
Nov 17, 2006
USA
✟50,567.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wow this thread has some hot points.

I fully agree with the main point of overeating/gluttony being against what God wants from us. It is self indulgence.

With all due respect to the diseases and medical conditions that affect metabolism, the fact remains that if one's intake is greater than one's output (exercise), then one will gain. Exercising for a healthy body is worthwhile, that is why I do it. The body is the temple and I want mine to be as healthy and clean as possible.

As someone mentioned above, there is a strong correlation (NOT CAUSATION, please don't misinterpret) between obesity/overweight, and those of newer denominations especially in the southern USA. This is not meant to offend anyone but it is a fact. Having lived in the south for several years I can say that I've seen it.

Food for thought: Think of those prominent tv evangelists and ministers. Most (not all) that spring to mind are overweight. This is not a judgment of them; it is an observation. We look to our ministers for leadership and guidance. It strikes me as hypocritical when they discuss fasting and starving children.

I've read the posts about what goes into your mouth vs. what comes out... Food may not be as vital as our actions and spoken words, but that does not mean one should overindulge. People will make excuses and justify their actions while dodging the overall picture. Eating in moderation (what goes into our mouths) and speaking with love in abundance (what goes out of our mouths)... is the point.

*Gets off the soap box and sets it off to the side for the next person....

GBU all

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Daisy321

Jan 31, 2007
✟8,096.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MezzaMorta, I don't think the the topic itself is bad, but maybe some of your comments comes across as mean and hateful. It seems you almost have anger or a hatred toward people who are fat and how dare they call themslves christians. Is that true? Or have I misunderstood you? I hope I am reading you wrong here and don't tell anyone but I have been wrong before a few times, let me know either way please.

You smoke, right? Do you feel people judge you because of that? If so, it most likey doesn't feel very good and even more so if you have tried to quit but haven't been successful yet.

To me we are all sinners and we all have weaknesses whether they are visable to others or not. God knows and sees what others around us may not. Also, I think it is great to discuss or ask questions about any topic that comes to mind and even this one. The only danger I see is if one christian kicks or puts down another christian who is struggling in an area of their life rather than offering some Godly wisdom.

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like Davids reaction to that which Nathan told him (in a story) and David's anger burns against that man.

Than Nathan reveals to David the identity of the man in the story

2Sam 12:7 Nathan said to David, Thou art the man.

Which confirms he apostles...

Romans 2:1 Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.

Do I hear, "Open mouth insert foot"?^_^

Peace

Fireinfolding

Upvote 0

winslow

Dec 25, 2005
✟8,503.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
More so in America than anywhere else in the world there are massive amounts of overweight people. Most of them here in America also subscribe to some faction of the Christian faith.

Now to me this seems hypocritical. Not only does the bible clearly condemn the acts and mindset it takes to get fat (greed, glotony... ect) but I see no difference between an overweight person and someone who would stand in front of a child dieing of thirst with a bucket of water taunting them with it.

How many children die each day of starvation... simply because they do not have enough money to buy food or there is no food in their nation. Over 1/3rd of the world population lives under the poverty line, they do not get enough food to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Yet these "Christians" can sit there and eat more food then their body needs. It is greed to it's maximum in my opinion and can not understand why instead of "supersizeing" they don't maybe save that money up and use it for something actually worthwhile, saving a child's life instead of just adding insult to those starving childreds tragity.

It also on a totaly other path of topic seems to be desecrating the our body that God created for us. I just can not see how anyone can justify such behavior with a Christian belief and allow themselves to become fat. Losing weight and/or not getting fat is not complicated at all.

Mat 7:2 for with whatever judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with whatever measure you measure, it will be measured again to you.
Mat 7:3 But why do you look on the twig that is in the eye of your brother, but do not see the log in your eye?
Mat 7:4 Or how will you say to your brother, Allow me to cast out the twig from your eye; and behold, the log is in your eye!
Mat 7:5 Hypocrite, first cast the log out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to cast the twig out of the eye of your brother.

What a judgemental attitude, and you have the gumption to prejudge the condition of others. What field in medical science do do have expertise to come to conclusions and judge. If you claim authority to judge others in such a broad manner, remember that the Lord will use the same manner of judgement against you. Is every avenue of your life so spotless, do you have not even one sinful habit? (besides the obvious).

Upvote 0

LJSGM

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
Wisconsin
✟15,171.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It's not usually what I buy that keeps me from losing a little weight, it's what is set before me that is the hardest to resist :) When I was on a diet a year ago, my biggest problem were the treats that people brought into work, mmm, they were so good! and it seems like it was everyday! they broke my diet (I think I was being a little too strict as well).

New studies show that it's mainly excerise that matters. If you keep a moderate diet, not excessive amounts of food, but not depraving, and you exerise, your metabolism speeds up. Diet alone has been shown not to work at all. Every person in the study gained back the weight in a few months, especially if they were on a depravation type diet. That said, there is also the fact that people (Americans, at least that I know) tend to gain about ten pounds a decade, that's ten years! which is a long time, and not nessasarely because of indulences, but because people tend to get a little more tired and less active as they age. If the 2 in 3 American that are overweight are mostly older, then the whole gluttany sin does not pretain to most people.

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mat 7:2 for with whatever judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with whatever measure you measure, it will be measured again to you.
Mat 7:3 But why do you look on the twig that is in the eye of your brother, but do not see the log in your eye?
Mat 7:4 Or how will you say to your brother, Allow me to cast out the twig from your eye; and behold, the log is in your eye!
Mat 7:5 Hypocrite, first cast the log out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to cast the twig out of the eye of your brother.

What a judgemental attitude, and you have the gumption to prejudge the condition of others. What field in medical science do do have expertise to come to conclusions and judge. If you claim authority to judge others in such a broad manner, remember that the Lord will use the same manner of judgement against you. Is every avenue of your life so spotless, do you have not even one sinful habit? (besides the obvious).

I agree we shouldnt judge specially after Burger King wrappers;)

Mat 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged

Mat 7:2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured ~to you~ again.

that sounds like fun:help:

Isaiah 28:6 And for a spirit of judgment ~TO HIM that sitteth in judgment

Best not be sitting THERE^_^

Talk about the HOT SEAT lol

Hey, we are even admonished here concerning judging after the flesh.

John 8:15 Ye judge after the flesh; I judge no man.

I think they were counting Jesus hot dogs too cause they called him glutonous winebidder...

what cha thnk?:idea:

John 7:24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

Must be, they had "hand to mouth" ~syndrone~ Im thinking. Eating was a big deal to these guys. Talk about having a knife to their throats and were cutting themselves with it after their judgments.^_^

COOL my TONGUE starts making some sense now dont it?^_^

Peace

Fireinfolding

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.