Southern US
✟35,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thank you stots. This helps a lot. "Fasting" then, is how we live our everyday lives, "removing" or "refraining" from those passions that do not honor God.

Exactly. This is not to downplay the usefulness of traditional fasts from certain foods, but as a way to understand the purpose of the fast. Food feeds the stomach, which in turn affects the fleshly passions. Control the stomach and you will have an easier time controlling the passions. Personally, I know that if I have indulged in all kinds of delicacies and fine dining I often find myself feeling spiritually numb or lethargic. Hunger awakens us to our need for God. We can simply follow a rule, being hungry and miserable the whole fast, or we can use the opportunity to feast on Christ.

...I also feel the need to point out that we are in different faith traditions and I feel a bit "unqualified" to talk to you about fasting... mainly, because in my tradition, we fast corporately and within the boundaries of the Church. I believe this is really important... but I am not here to proselytize

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Exactly. This is not to downplay the usefulness of traditional fasts from certain foods, but as a way to understand the purpose of the fast. Food feeds the stomach, which in turn affects the fleshly passions. Control the stomach and you will have an easier time controlling the passions. Personally, I know that if I have indulged in all kinds of delicacies and fine dining I often find myself feeling spiritually numb or lethargic. Hunger awakens us to our need for God. We can simply follow a rule, being hungry and miserable the whole fast, or we can use the opportunity to feast on Christ.

...I also feel the need to point out that we are in different faith traditions and I feel a bit "unqualified" to talk to you about fasting... mainly, because in my tradition, we fast corporately and within the boundaries of the Church. I believe this is really important... but I am not here to proselytize

Thank you stots. I hadn't noticed your faith icon before. You've given me much to meditate on and pray about., especially on focusing on God above everything else.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The scriptural concept of fasting is to abstain from food & liquids simultaneously.

The word “fast” in Hebrew means to cover the mouth. Strongs H6684

That's profound. There are times i literally need to do this, or ask God to.

Thank you Dkh.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Another aspect of fasting is the antithetic aspect. Fasting itself is uncomfortable in many different ways, and it's spiritual value is questionable during this period of discomfort. However the resulting physical vitality and mental clarity is certainly of great spiritual value, as the thoughts can rise above the physical.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Another aspect of fasting is the antithetic aspect. Fasting itself is uncomfortable in many different ways, and it's spiritual value is questionable during this period of discomfort. However the resulting physical vitality and mental clarity is certainly of great spiritual value, as the thoughts can rise above the physical.

Thank you OWG.

Upvote 0

WanderedHome

Jul 26, 2019
Southern US
✟35,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
However the resulting physical vitality and mental clarity is certainly of great spiritual value, as the thoughts can rise above the physical.

Absolutely. Our hearts and minds are not spiritually separated from our physical self. Jesus saves the whole person.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WanderedHome

Jul 26, 2019
Southern US
✟35,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm actually fasting today, so I'm going to go wash my face and anoint my head (with Alberto V05). ^_^

They should hire you to be their shampoo model. "V05... hair so clean and shiny, no one will notice the odor of spiritual pride." Haha! :^_^

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They should hire you to be their shampoo model. "V05... hair so clean and shiny, no one will notice the odor of spiritual pride." Haha! :^_^

That's not funny. :mad:

Upvote 0

WanderedHome

Jul 26, 2019
Southern US
✟35,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That's not funny. :mad:

Sorry if I offended you. I took your comment as a joke, which is why I replied with another joke. I wasn't implying you were too prideful, but just finding the lighter side of Jesus' words, "wash your face and anoint your head". It's good to poke fun at ourselves as Christians once in awhile. In other words, "I admit I am prideful, but V05 will make me so clean no one will be able to tell."

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sorry if I offended you. I took your comment as a joke, which is why I replied with another joke. I wasn't implying you were too prideful, but just finding the lighter side of Jesus' words, "wash your face and anoint your head". It's good to poke fun at ourselves as Christians once in awhile. In other words, "I admit I am prideful, but V05 will make me so clean no one will be able to tell."

I wasn't offended. My response was intended to be funny as well (I'm a very funny guy).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

proverbs3

Apr 13, 2018
just somewhere
✟21,976.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus says prayers and fasting are for those who can’t complete an exorcism where unbelief is involved :)
it was not exactly said it was for those who can't complete an exorcist

but because of unbelief he did put an example if you have a tiny faith(or if you have this many faith) and you shall say unto this mountain remove yourself here and it shall be done and nothing shall be impossible to you

20 And Jesus said unto them,Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

21 Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.

Reactions: ~Zao~
Upvote 0

proverbs3

Apr 13, 2018
just somewhere
✟21,976.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
(If i posted this in the wrong place, please move it, mods. i wasn't sure where to post it. Thanks.)

I'm not good at "fasting". I have attempted it, but it's as if i'm attempting it in my "own" strength, and it just falls flat.

I would appreciate any insights into fasting and the different ways of fasting.

Thank you for any input.
last time i fast started at 6pm then slept didn't eat breakfast nor drink then didn't eat lunch but i did drink water then didn't eat dinner but i drink water then slept it was morning again i did not eat and it was 10am was hesitating but i ate at 11am this is not considered as prayer and fasting i did not meditate

this was just me trying to understand the pain of others that wants to eat but can't eat that wants to live but can't live my fasting not even worth mentioning compare to his sufferings... that feeling that you want to carry his burden but you can't and the only one who can help him is the LORD God but in the end he died hopefully it was not all in vain hopefully he was granted key to the new earth

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
last time i fast started at 6pm then slept didn't eat breakfast nor drink then didn't eat lunch but i did drink water then didn't eat dinner but i drink water then slept it was morning again i did not eat and it was 10am was hesitating but i ate at 11am this is not considered as prayer and fasting i did not meditate

this was just me trying to understand the pain of others that wants to eat but can't eat that wants to live but can't live my fasting not even worth mentioning compare to his sufferings... that feeling that you want to carry his burden but you can't and the only one who can help him is the LORD God but in the end he died hopefully it was not all in vain hopefully he was granted key to the new earth

Thank you proverbs3 for your encouragement and sharing. It's very helpful. :)

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It doesn't sound jumbled at all. It really "clicked" for me when you mentioned your sister. This is one of the reasons i want to fast as well...family members.

Thank you for sharing this Heavenhome. Praying for your sister, and you too.

Thank you for your kindness Brinny.
It means a great deal.:rose:

• Friendly
Upvote 0