West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Nativity Fast has started. Does have anyone concrete advice / hints / tips / quotes about fasting?

To start the ball rolling, I put (just) three small bits:

The golden rule of fasting

Fast is to force nature

Fast is a means and not an end.
I have been fasting with a partner. This week I have not done the best, other than fasting from creamer and sugar in my coffee. But typically I will fast from carbs and sometimes solids. Right now my preferred method of fasting is from carbs and I eat one meal a day, and fast the rest of the day. (I use canola oil and bullion soup for my snacks). On a keto type of diet, you can fast regularly. Just make sure you are supplementing your vitamins. I take a multi, a calcium, and I supplement sodium and potassium (which are important on keto). I like fasting for discipline reasons but it can also double as a weight loss. But you have to be confident that your motive is for the spiritual aspect of it. I will probably go off of my fast for thanksgiving, to enjoy. But message me if you ever do any other fasts. From christmas day through the new year I will probably take off. I have lost 57 pounds on keto since last october. Because I am on this long term I don't get too hard on myself for breaking it, but I am up about 9 pounds from my low so I am going to get stricter after the new year. I expect to be about 15 pounds over after the holidays, and when fasting I lose about .2 pounds a day. But for someone new to the discipline they can lose 5-7 pounds a week for first few months.

here is some information:
12 Possible Intermittent Fasting Benefits

and a fasting brochure:
fasting book- practical biblical fasting for all christians.pdf

It is important to take down prayer requests during fasting, and be faithful to your prayer list. This is when fasting really shines. I cannot mention how many breakthroughs we had fasting.

anyone else desires to fast regularly message me, I am always up for different ways to fast. I heard there is even an app for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,733.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
gradyll

You are in TAW - the forum for Orthodox Christians . Our Fasting is very different from the fasting to which you refer.

During this Fast - Philip's Fast [ the Nativity Fast] - we follow a programme which the Church suggests - but we take part in it after discussion with our Priest. I suspect my Fasting practice is very different from JohnTh and ArmyMatt .

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
gradyll

You are in TAW - the forum for Orthodox Christians . Our Fasting is very different from the fasting to which you refer.

During this Fast - Philip's Fast [ the Nativity Fast] - we follow a programme which the Church suggests - but we take part in it after discussion with our Priest. I suspect my Fasting practice is very different from JohnTh and ArmyMatt .
Oh I apologize, I will not post here anymore.

Good luck on your fast.

Godbless,

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I can only offer memes
639bc5d.png

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,731.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Lily76_

Pray for the Persecuted
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
scotland
✟473,261.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Hi '' id like to fast am vegan most of the time but i would like to fast is it a full nothing but water fast or some other fast

sorry i dont know very much about Orthodox fasts

Thank you

• Friendly
Reactions: prodromos
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnTh

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
✟32,051.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hi '' id like to fast am vegan most of the time but i would like to fast is it a full nothing but water fast or some other fast

sorry i dont know very much about Orthodox fasts

Thank you

Hi Lilly,

Nice to hear from you again! :)

For the time being is pretty ok vegan, that is no milk or products of animal origin. If you want some sea fruits this is ok also.
Of course, the best is to speak with an Orthodox Priest but I know that this might be difficult for you.

Besides this technical matter, indeed the general rule of fasting is to be just a little hungry - see here for a complete analysis on topic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArseniusTheSilent

Site Supporter
Jul 28, 2019
Boston
✟423,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In general, fasting is much easier when we eat whole foods and not over-processed stuff. Real nutrition makes a huge difference.
Agreed. If you are trying to fast by using overly-processed foods, protein bars and other quick foods in lieu of whole foods then it will be much harder to stick to it and derive value from the experience (based on my own experience).

Fasting is not simply about the foods involved. You will derive spiritual value out of the experience proportionate to what you put into it.

For me, fasting becomes much harder when I try and add variety to what I eat while fasting in lieu of sticking to some stock recipes that work for me. Simplicity will help you.

Upvote 0