MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What I did was to mix all the dry ingredients first (including the baking soda).

Then I mix all the wet ingredients (including the applesause/vinegar).

Then I quickly mix (but don't overbeat) the dry and wet ingredients together

Speed is essential or you will get a flat or lumpy cake.

If you don't mix the wet and dry ingredients separately, then you can get a nasty volcano effect.

Upvote 0

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟62,538.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
simon_minty1.jpg

This sauce is fit only for the most deserving. Simon will personally inspect them, their menu choices, their sense of style and bearing. All will be taken into account. Only when he is satisfied that they meet his strict criteria will they be offered the chance to sample this God of sauces.

To truly appreciate Mint, one should know a little about its background. The name Mint comes from the Greek nymph Minthe. Hades fell gloriously in love with her, so Persephone jealously turned her into a plant. Mint is an exotic Mediterranean plant, introduced to England by the Romans. The Mayflower Pilgrims brought it to America. We introduce a modicum of tradition and style and what do they turn it into? Chewing gum.
The leaves can be chewed as a cure for flatulence, an ailment all too often suffered by my wife. Incidentally this is also how she acquired her name.

INGREDIENTS

1. A large sprig of Spearmint leaves (Lady Marchmont's Organic garden - choose only young, healthy leaves - they should remind you of a fresh faced adolescent on the very cusp of manhood)

2. 8oz. pure double-refined, elegant, white sugar

3. 3/4 of a pint of thick dark malt vinegar

PROCEDURE

1) Reverentially wash the mint leaves in fresh spring water. Use the water from an Artesian well if you have one.

2) Minutely chop the leaves until effervescent.

3) Three quarters fill a row of small glass Piedmont airtight jars with the heavenly-chlorophyllic shavings and leave to unwind (DO NOT USE BABY FOOD JARS - In fact do not have babies at all, no amount of gourmet cooking will rid your house of the smell of baby sick)

4) Arrange the sugar and vinegar in a Benteman's copper-bottomed Sauces-Pan and gently agitate over a mild flame for fifteen minutes

5) Once flamed to perfection, allow to cool slowly, but not too slowly

6) Using a Benteman's copper-bottomed Pouring Pan, intermingle the syrupy fluid with the mint in the jars. Closing the airtight lids as you go, you must close them within ten seconds or it will all be ruined and you will have to start all over again

7) A common rule is that when opened more vinegar can be added. In the Quill nothing is common and if you ask for more vinegar you will be forcibly ejected. No-one wants to dine a alongside food-murderer

Upvote 0

NyssaTheHobbit

Orthodox Christian (chrismation date 1/10/09)
May 24, 2006
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Visit site
✟9,617.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The leaves can be chewed as a cure for flatulence, an ailment all too often suffered by my wife. Incidentally this is also how she acquired her name.

- In fact do not have babies at all, no amount of gourmet cooking will rid your house of the smell of baby sick)

Where did you get this from? What is the wife's name, anyway?

I can't help remembering a line from "Most Haunted," back when we used to watch (and poke fun at) it: "This room smells like baby sick!" Phantom baby sick.

Upvote 0

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟62,538.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Ah sorry.

It's from the BBC.
They brought out a spoof cookery show about a snobbish couple who would host a cookery channel.

The man is called Simon and the wife is 'Minty'.

They own a (fictional) restaurant called the 'Quill and Tassle'.

Upvote 0

choirfiend

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes. Progresso's. :)

But seriously, just take some dry lentils, rinsed well, and cook in water/canned diced tomatoes with liquid. Pepper and salt to taste, and maybe add some celery, cilantro, or indian spices. Voila! That's it.

Upvote 0

Dust and Ashes

wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked
May 4, 2004
Visit site
✟7,946.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's a pain when you depend on food-share programs for a significant portion of your groceries. They don't contain a lot of fast-friendly foods so the grocery bill goes up during fasts. The bright side is that after the fast we have plenty of meat built up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MessianicMuslim

Dec 12, 2006
✟15,301.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
What is the orthodox way of fasting?
This is new to me, I used to participate with my family with the month of Ramadan. We would not eat from between sunrise to sunset.

Okay, I know alright to do so in the Middle East, but a bit hard when living in a Northern hemisphere. So we always eat up large before the sun and after the sun, it really wasn't fasting at all. Just binge eating.

Can some one explain the correct principles of fasting for me?
Thanks

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hi, MM - welcome to TAW!

Generally, the Orthodox fast on every Wednesday and Friday, as well as longer fasting periods during the year, such as Lent, and now for the Apostles' Fast (St. Peter and Paul). When we fast, we fast for the whole 24 hours, usually from all animal products - meat, fish (except shellfish), dairy, and oil, and alcohol. Some days are "lighter" fasts that allow for wine & oil, and some days allow for fish also. This also entails fewer meals (usually no breakfast), and smaller meals, so that we never feel full. A few days of the year (such as Great and Holy Friday), we are not supposed to eat anything, if we are able. And the idea is to keep our meals simple, not spending much time or money on them.

Along with the food part, we are supposed to spend more time in prayer and reading the Scriptures and other readings, rather than watching tv or movies or such. We are also to use the money saved on food to give to the poor. Orthodox couples are also to fast from marital relations.

But each one of us is supposed to follow the guidance of our own Priest/Spiritual father, as the fasting guidelines I have listed are not always applied the same to every person.

Does this help? :)

Mary

Upvote 0

NyssaTheHobbit

Orthodox Christian (chrismation date 1/10/09)
May 24, 2006
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Visit site
✟9,617.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It's actually quite different in my parish, so you definitely have to get guidance from a spiritual father. I don't know if it's a difference between jurisdictions (some more strict than others), or between priests. So far, when I've asked about fasting, I've heard nothing about fasting from food completely, except before taking the Eucharist, or about skipping meals during Lenten periods. You fast as you're able. It sounds like most people in my parish--even my priest--fast only from meat. You're also supposed to pray and read your Bible more, but nothing else is restricted, including marital relations. Though if you want to restrict these things, you're allowed. :) And there is no fasting for the sick or pregnant. So there is no "everyone does it this way" fasting in Orthodoxy. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Khaleas

Also known as Jenn the Finn :)
Feb 2, 2005
Virginia
✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I just tried this one and it's REALLY good. It's from the last issue of Martha Stewart Living (Feb. 2008)... I did some slight changes and I'll put that at the end. Going to make a few batches of this to freeze for Lent.

Makes 8 servings

1 tbsp olive oil (use other during fast)
2 medium carrots, finely chopped *1
1 large onion, finely chopped
1/2 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
3 large garlic cloves
1 1/2 tsp dried Oregano
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin *2
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 chipotle chile canned in adobo sauce *3
1 can (28 oz) whole plum tomatoes, drained and crushed *4
1 bay leaf
1 can (15 oz) kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can (15 oz) garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
1 can (15 oz) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 1/2 cups water*5
1 1/2 tsp coarse salt (guessing it would be a bit less if you use fine)
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/2 bunch Swiss Chard (stems removed, leaves cut into 1 inch pieces (about 5 cups) *6
1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped (plus more for garnish) *7

(1 avocado & 1 lime for garnish and serving)

My changes:
1. I used shredded carrots that you can buy in a bag at a lot of grocery stores
2. I only put 1 tsp, and the last 1/2 crushed red pepper
3. I'm thinking a bit of Chipotle Tabasco would work too
4. I just used 2 cans of diced tomatos
5. I used half water, half beer (Killian's Irish Red works well, no Bud Light LOL) - beer goes super well in chili
6. Skipped
7. Skipped
I also added a small can of corn, drained

How to:
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat (I used a 5 1/2 qt pot and it was plenty big). Add carrots, onion, jalapeno and garlic and cook until softened, about 10 mins. Add oregano, cumin, chili powder and chipotle, and cook stirring constantly for 2 mins. Add tomatoes, bay leaf, beans, water, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 1 hr (I let it simmer covered for 2.5 hrs).

2. Discard bay leaf. Add Swiss Chard, and cook uncovered until mixture has thickened slightly, about 20 mins (I let it simmer for about an hour uncovered, like barely simmering). Stir in chopped cilantro. Granish with avocado and cilantro springs and serve with lime wedge.

Nutr. info per serving:
231 cal, 0 mg cholesterol, 37g carbs, 332 mg sodium, 11 g protein, 13 g fiber

And it tastes great! :D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.