Not open for further replies.

VickiY

Jun 12, 2005
✟5,391.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Republican
You forgot to mention how good a dollop of yogurt is on top of this dish! My grandmother made it and no one ever taught me how, so I truly appreciate your posting this. It is one of my absolute favorite dishes!

Oh..and, add a dollop of yogurt on there during cheesefare week when you can! ;)

You're very welcome. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Greg the byzantine

have mercy on me
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2005
✟56,796.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You forgot to mention how good a dollop of yogurt is on top of this dish! My grandmother made it and no one ever taught me how, so I truly appreciate your posting this. It is one of my absolute favorite dishes!
OOh especially strained yoghurt which is thicker. Lately we have been able to find Greek Brand "Fage" yoghurt which is strained in Key Food which is a chain Supermarket up here.

Reactions: DonVA
Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
OOh especially strained yoghurt which is thicker. Lately we have been able to find Greek Brand "Fage" yoghurt which is strained in Key Food which is a chain Supermarket up here.
I love that yogurt.

Expensive but delicious.

Trader Joe's sells it in my neck of the woods.

Upvote 0

Dust and Ashes

wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked
May 4, 2004
Visit site
✟7,946.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I made some spaghetti last night that was fast friendly for wine/oil days. I'm not one for exact amounts so you'll have to use your own taste and judgement.

olive oil
3 or 4 large cloves of garlic (minced)
one medium onion
2 small cans of mushrooms
2-4 cans of diced tomatoes
white cooking wine

Add oregano and basil to taste if you like.

Cover the bottom of large sauce pan or skillet with olive oil (just till it's covered, not to any depth)

Heat oil and sautee garlic till it starts to brown.

Add chopped or diced onion (your preference) and sautee till it starts to get "glassy."

Add drained mushrooms and sautee till it looks good to you. (Again, it's a matter of taste)

Add drained tomatoes.

Add wine to almost level with the rest of the ingredients and simmer till it reaches a thick, almost pasty consistency, stirring occasionally.
Boil pasta in salty water while sauce is reducing.

Drain pasta and add sauce.

Enjoy!

Upvote 0

Dust and Ashes

wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked
May 4, 2004
Visit site
✟7,946.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm not good with amounts, I just kind of guestimate and cook to taste. It is cheap to make and fun too. It's actually modified from an Amatriciana recipe I got from a friend who learned it from his Italian chef friend.

Upvote 0

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟62,438.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I guess that if there are four cans of chopped tomatoes used, it should feed about 4-6 people.

I'll have to make it and find out.
I'll have it tomorrow for dinner, for I shall be back at University then.

I'm so very looking forward to going back to university! But first, I need to tidy my room at home, take down the majority of the christmas decorations (my mum has trouble with removing ceiling ornaments and taking down the tree), wash all my clothes, pack my suitcase, finish this essay, put up a curtain rail for mum and then finally get to sleep. Wake up early the next morning and catch the 11:30 train. Wow! I've got a busy day today!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cassc

Veteran- I am an Orthodox Christian
Jan 24, 2007
New England
✟16,923.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This is a good one to try for a special treat (my birthday usually falls during lent :))

Lenten chocolate cake
3 cups flour
2 tsps. Soda
6 tbsps. Cocoa
1 tsp. salt
2 cups sugar
3 tbsps. Vinegar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups cold water
powdered sugar (optional)

measure flour, soda, cocoa, salt, and sugar into a large mixing bowl. Add vinegar, vanilla, oil, and water and mix well. Pour batter into greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Let cake sit for 1 hour and then sprinkle powdered sugar on the top OR make the following chocolate icing: Mix powdered sugar, cocoa, and a little margarine. Add enough warm water to make a smooth, creamy icing.

Upvote 0

templetoes

Dec 14, 2006
PR China
✟7,630.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hello everyone,

What do people think about taking dietary supplements during Lent? I think Lentern preparation is important, so the need to abstain from meat and dairy (at least) is good for us all. But of course there are problems with certain vitamins and minerals that we miss out on through not eating meat (iron and magnesium for example).

Is the taking of supplements okay, or a good idea? A friend reccomended some to me (I'll post a link if anyone wants) that are specially designed for fasting.

Reactions: MariaRegina
Upvote 0

Annoula

Freedom
Jul 19, 2005
✟11,322.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
i am in favour of the use of supplements but i've never thought about lent and supplements...

although... during the end of the last Christmas lent i had a very bad feeling with my teeth. they were hurting and i had trouble washing them. after 2 weeks on dairy again i was ok.
i am thinking seriously of taking at least calcium supplements during the next lent..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

templetoes

Dec 14, 2006
PR China
✟7,630.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
although... during the end of the last Christmas lent i had a very bad feeling with my teeth. they were hurting and i had trouble washing them. after 2 weeks on dairy again i was ok.

I never had that problem but towards the end of Advent I did feel more tired than I used to, and my concentration was lacking. I think that was down to a lack of zinc, or maybe I was a little anemic after so long without meat.
That's why my friend recommended some special supplements for fasting from a company called Mitamins, which I will probably try out.

Good advice about asking your doctor/physician though.

Upvote 0

kamikat

my love is bigger than a cadillac
Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
✟18,459.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just tried a new one that is a hit with the kids!
Fettucine with Creamy Butternut Squash Sauce
4cups frozen or canned squash, thawed
2 cups plain, unsweetened soy milk
2tbl cornstarch
1tbl oil
1 chopped onion
2-4 chopped garlic cloves
1tsp dried rosemary
2tsp dried savory
2tsp dried basil
1tsp salt
2tsp brown sugar
16oz pk of fettucine or linguine cooked

Whisk together squash, soy milk and cornstarch until smooth. Set aside. In a large sauce pan, heat oil. Saute onion and garlic until onion is softened. Add herbs and saute for 1-2 minutes more. Add squash mixture, salt and sugar and cook over medium heat until sauce thickens. Serve over the cooked linguine.

Upvote 0

krstlros

Currently Under Construction
Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2004
Within the arms of God
✟52,810.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This is a good one to try for a special treat (my birthday usually falls during lent :))

Lenten chocolate cake
3 cups flour
2 tsps. Soda
6 tbsps. Cocoa
1 tsp. salt
2 cups sugar
3 tbsps. Vinegar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups cold water
powdered sugar (optional)

measure flour, soda, cocoa, salt, and sugar into a large mixing bowl. Add vinegar, vanilla, oil, and water and mix well. Pour batter into greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Let cake sit for 1 hour and then sprinkle powdered sugar on the top OR make the following chocolate icing: Mix powdered sugar, cocoa, and a little margarine. Add enough warm water to make a smooth, creamy icing.
I'm presuming here that the "Soda" is "Baking Soda", and the "vinegar" is "white vinegar" and not "apple cider vinegar".

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Instead of vinegar, I use applesauce, but that is a different recipe.

Warning: Have the oven already pre-heated and add the applesauce (or vinegar) last.

Once the applesauce/vinegar mix meets the baking soda, a chemical reaction takes place to make the cake rise. So you have to quickly mix the ingredients after the applesauce/vinegar is added and then put it in the pan and into the oven immediately.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.