Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I avoid lobster since it is a delicacy, but it would be difficult for me to make anything my husband would eat if we didn’t use shrimp. I know you all aren’t judging those who do eat shellfish, but I don’t want those who are new to fasting getting the idea that it you are fasting “better” if you skip all shellfish. If you get to the point that your focus is all about the food and not about Christ, that’s not good as well. For us, eating shellfish is one way to help avoid that (though I already struggle with proper focus, even with shellfish).

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Maybe it's slightly off-topic, or at least off of the direction the conversation has taken BUT;
The Nativity Fast is soon upon us.
Most days (other than Wed/Fri) are 'fish days'.
I have to remind myself that just because fish is allowed does not mean I must purchase/prepare it. I can't speak for everywhere, but here, eating fish multiple times a week can be expensive.

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Maybe it's slightly off-topic, or at least off of the direction the conversation has taken BUT;
The Nativity Fast is soon upon us.
Most days (other than Wed/Fri) are 'fish days'.
I have to remind myself that just because fish is allowed does not mean I must purchase/prepare it. I can't speak for everywhere, but here, eating fish multiple times a week can be expensive.
Agreed :) we could just eat nuts and berries if we want! Just because it is allowed doesn’t mean we need to eat it.

Where I am, shrimp is actually more reasonable price wise for us than fresh fish often, unless it is something like tilapia or a lower priced fish.

It’s hard to believe the Nativity Fast is right around the corner!

Last edited:
Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Also, there is a difference between trying to follow the fast but not be perfect, and disregarding the fast altogether. If any of us just personally decided we don't do fasting anymore, that would be problematic. Not all priests, however, consider it to be a sin if you happen to have something that has a bit of dairy in it, or if you accept a gift from others (i.e. eating dinner at someone’s house) and eat it out of being thankful for the food they provide. My priest even says that if someone provided a meal for you and it had non-fast friendly foods, that you should accept it gratefully, but eat moderately. If there are choices where you can choose fast-friendly foods - do that, but don’t feel like you are sinning if you accept the food and then go right back to fasting. On the other hand, don’t purposefully go to family or friends dinners with the intent to break the fast. ;) Try to follow it - but remember that intentions matter. Your priest should help you know what is best for this, as it is something you can work out together.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
For example, when I first became Orthodox, my grandma tried to give me something that was fast friendly - but it had chicken broth in it. In a case like that, I should just accept it gratefully and not refuse the food.

• Informative
Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

Rachel96

May 23, 2013
Australia
✟18,466.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know this thread was last posted in a while ago, but I have a question that would probably go best in here.

Is shark meat okay for fish days (e.g. Apostles' fast, weekends in Nativity fast...)? "Flake", which is shark meat, is one of the cheapest forms of "fish" here but I'm not 100% sure whether it's fish given they have live babies.

Not an urgent thing - I wasn't raised eating fish at all other than tinned tuna, so I only have it now and then during fish-y fasts, and I've been pleasantly surprised by how cheap it is (cheaper than eggplant/aubergine, anyway) - but it's something I've been vaguely curious about for a while, but not curious enough to actually ask.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I know this thread was last posted in a while ago, but I have a question that would probably go best in here.

Is shark meat okay for fish days (e.g. Apostles' fast, weekends in Nativity fast...)? "Flake", which is shark meat, is one of the cheapest forms of "fish" here but I'm not 100% sure whether it's fish given they have live babies.

Not an urgent thing - I wasn't raised eating fish at all other than tinned tuna, so I only have it now and then during fish-y fasts, and I've been pleasantly surprised by how cheap it is (cheaper than eggplant/aubergine, anyway) - but it's something I've been vaguely curious about for a while, but not curious enough to actually ask.
Hmmmm. That's an interesting question.

I won't venture a guess. But sharks not only have live babies (some fish do), but they also lack scales but have skin instead, and lack bones but have a skeleton made of cartilage. They ARE fish biologically speaking, but I wonder if the Church sees them that way for the sake of fasting? I always found shark to be more like a white steak.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
well, Orthodox should, and should under spiritual direction.
Good point. My spiritual father advised me to only fast so extremely for short periods of time (i.e. I am fasting for something I am praying about.)

I think everyone's body is different, but the more we can fast the better. I very much enjoy fasting of Fridays and then attending liturgy at the monastery the next morning :)

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums