Family/Friends who know the Gospel but don't believe it?

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Im in a similar situation with my sister and brother in law. They’ve both heard the gospel and refuse to accept it. In their case it’s because they don’t want to submit to God’s will. They want to live their life their way without any interference from God or anyone else. I’ve tried to talk to them but it ended up with my brother in law starting to shout because he was getting frustrated because I was answering all his questions as he tried to refute God’s existence and began asking the whole “if God is real them why would He do this and that” questions. As soon as I saw he was getting angry I just stopped. You know sometimes you just have to plant some seeds and give them time to grow. I’m a firm believer that if we try to push someone too hard towards Christ we can end up pushing them farther away from Him by provoke a defensive position against Him. So I know how you feel but I will say that my father was similar. He wasn’t atheist but he was definitely stubborn but he came to Christ at the age of 75 just two years before he died so there’s always hope.
See the thing is, to my mom.. she isn't willful and wanting to embrace sin and immorality. She rarely has a glass of wine now and then, and about the "worst" activity she does is she enjoys sci-fi/fantasy TV and books. On the surface she's living a moral lifestyle. Because of that she sees no need for a savior.
My sister just simply doesn't believe, she also tries to live morally,
To be perfectly honest, at least as far as I know, I have the worse sin in my life, I know I need a savior. and can't do anything right on my own.
Jesus was quite aware of that in His earthly ministry too.. that the worst sinners were the ones who most likely came rushing for His salvation while those who lived "righteously" would see no need.. Luke 18:9-14..
9 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:
10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Matthew 6, basically the whole chapter is about not doing things for earthly rewards but rewards in heaven.
If you're doing things to get rewarded by men on earth, you've received your reward (which may just be praise and admiration/esteem from others) and aren't rewarded in heaven.

what about this instruction from the Lord?

(Luk 14:12) Then said he also to him that bade him, When thou makest a dinner or a supper, call not thy friends, nor thy brethren, neither thy kinsmen, nor thy rich neighbours; lest they also bid thee again, and a recompence be made thee.
(Luk 14:13) But when thou makest a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind:
(Luk 14:14) And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.

how can you make a feast for the poor, the maimed, and the blind if you only have enough for yourself? riches aren't evil; it's how you get them and what you do with them that counts

is this the 'prosperity gospel' you're referring to?

(Psa 35:27) Let them shout for joy, and be glad, that favour my righteous cause: yea, let them say continually, Let the LORD be magnified, which hath pleasure in the prosperity of his servant.

or is it related to Jesus having redeemed us fro the curse of the law so that the blessing of Abraham might come on us?

(Gal 3:13) Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
(Gal 3:14) That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

if so; you're right - this is the prosperity gospel:

(Deu 28:1) And it shall come to pass, if thou shalt hearken diligently unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe and to do all his commandments which I command thee this day, that the LORD thy God will set thee on high above all nations of the earth:
(Deu 28:2) And all these blessings shall come on thee, and overtake thee, if thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God.

(Deu 28:3) Blessed shalt thou be in the city, and blessed shalt thou be in the field.
(Deu 28:4) Blessed shall be the fruit of thy body, and the fruit of thy ground, and the fruit of thy cattle, the increase of thy kine, and the flocks of thy sheep.
(Deu 28:5) Blessed shall be thy basket and thy store.
(Deu 28:6) Blessed shalt thou be when thou comest in, and blessed shalt thou be when thou goest out.
(Deu 28:7) The LORD shall cause thine enemies that rise up against thee to be smitten before thy face: they shall come out against thee one way, and flee before thee seven ways.
(Deu 28:8) The LORD shall command the blessing upon thee in thy storehouses, and in all that thou settest thine hand unto; and he shall bless thee in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
(Deu 28:9) The LORD shall establish thee an holy people unto himself, as he hath sworn unto thee, if thou shalt keep the commandments of the LORD thy God, and walk in his ways.
(Deu 28:10) And all people of the earth shall see that thou art called by the name of the LORD; and they shall be afraid of thee.
(Deu 28:11) And the LORD shall make thee plenteous in goods, in the fruit of thy body, and in the fruit of thy cattle, and in the fruit of thy ground, in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers to give thee.
(Deu 28:12) The LORD shall open unto thee his good treasure, the heaven to give the rain unto thy land in his season, and to bless all the work of thine hand: and thou shalt lend unto many nations, and thou shalt not borrow.
(Deu 28:13) And the LORD shall make thee the head, and not the tail; and thou shalt be above only, and thou shalt not be beneath
; if that thou hearken unto the commandments of the LORD thy God, which I command thee this day, to observe and to do them:
(Deu 28:14) And thou shalt not go aside from any of the words which I command thee this day, to the right hand, or to the left, to go after other gods to serve them.

...plenteous in goods, in the fruit of thy body, and in the fruit of thy cattle, and in the fruit of thy ground...lend unto many nations, and thou shalt not borrow...prosperity

Upvote 0

xaris

Sep 8, 2020
So. Cal
✟33,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do you do about those family and friends. They have an academic understanding of what the Gospel is but what the bible says is simply not enough for them. Personal testimonies are not enough for them.
My sister understands the gospel, she just doesn't believe it. She's looking for some life changing personal experience that would actually make her believe. She's not opposed to Christianity or the gospel, but she just doesn't know what she actually believes.
I pray for her, because it's pretty apparent that God actually has to give her faith, because simply teaching her doesn't do it. She's been taught by many people for decades, including myself and her mother in law, but it just doesn't catch her.
My mother... well she's not HOSTILE to Christianity in that she knows I believe it and is fine with that. But she thinks it's just a guidelines for moral living, and "I don't need Jesus to be a good person" I have tried to explain that's not how it works that there ARE no "good persons" and that she needs a savior...
but between catholic teaching from a lot of my family in older generations (no offense to those who are Catholic but actually put their faith in Jesus Christ) for works based salvation and her disliking many prominent false teachers in the world like your Kenneth Copelands and Benny Hinns of the world.. it's like a wall gets put between what she takes in from teaching and her mind. She's blocked it off. She also doesn't like when pastors get passionate in their preaching and say things about being "blood bought" and "covered in the blood of Jesus" or talking about the power of the holy spirit, etc. She agrees with the moral teaching, she believes Jesus was a real person and a good teacher about how to live life morally.. but the most essential parts of the gospel she just refuses. She's stuck on it being her works and she's been led into new age and eastern mysticism and pantheism and universalism by my father when she was younger.. she combines that with the works based salvation of Catholicism to form her core beliefs. It's scary because I believe that is ultimately what the one world religion of the end times will be like, works salvation, combining eastern mysticism and catholicism, seeing Jesus as some sort of Enlightened Zen Buddhist teacher, with an abstract creator rather than a personal creator.
A very vivid dream I had weeks ago, basically set my sister's fate as uncertain and my mother as utterly rejecting Jesus.
So I don't really know what to do. my sister is looking for something that no human can give her, and my mother just rejects it and I'm afraid is on the path to believing the strong delusion (the age of aquarius).
all I can do is pray.
but so far that prayer has been unanswered.

It takes the conviction of their sin by the Holy Spirit...otherwise...

And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil. For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed. But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his works have been carried out in God.”
(Joh 3:19-21)

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
(Rom 2:1) Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.
(Rom 2:2) But we are sure that the judgment of God is according to truth against them which commit such things.
(Rom 2:3) And thinkest thou this, O man, that judgest them which do such things, and doest the same, that thou shalt escape the judgment of God?
(Rom 2:4) Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

it's not fear of hell that causes people to come into fellowship with God - that would fit the godfather, but not the Father God - it's the goodness of God that leads people to repentance

(1Co 15:56) The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

the more you stress the law to people who aren't saved, the more you strengthen the grip of sin on them; if you want your family to come into fellowship with God, then show them His goodness.

anything that is available to us as the Saved in eternity after death is also available to us now - because since eternity started before we were born, it includes this life, as well as the next. look for ways to show them the goodness of God, and you'll at least get their attention

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
(Rom 2:1) Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.
(Rom 2:2) But we are sure that the judgment of God is according to truth against them which commit such things.
(Rom 2:3) And thinkest thou this, O man, that judgest them which do such things, and doest the same, that thou shalt escape the judgment of God?
(Rom 2:4) Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

it's not fear of hell that causes people to come into fellowship with God - that would fit the godfather, but not the Father God - it's the goodness of God that leads people to repentance

(1Co 15:56) The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

the more you stress the law to people who aren't saved, the more you strengthen the grip of sin on them; if you want your family to come into fellowship with God, then show them His goodness.

anything that is available to us as the Saved in eternity after death is also available to us now - because since eternity started before we were born, it includes this life, as well as the next. look for ways to show them the goodness of God, and you'll at least get their attention

Well, they see right through the lie that is "believe in Jesus, send Kenneth Copeland $1000 as a "seed" and Jesus make you rich."
That's the gospel these people preach.
There are Christians who are impoverished, Christians who have lifelong chronic illnesses, Christians who are homeless.
Lazarus was a poor beggar that was homeless.
The rich man went to hell, Lazarus went to a place of comfort (and is now in heaven) Luke 16 tells their story.
Wealth is definitely not a sign of salvation, and is not a part of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
What do you do about those family and friends. They have an academic understanding of what the Gospel is but what the bible says is simply not enough for them. Personal testimonies are not enough for them.
My sister understands the gospel, she just doesn't believe it. She's looking for some life changing personal experience that would actually make her believe. She's not opposed to Christianity or the gospel, but she just doesn't know what she actually believes.
I pray for her, because it's pretty apparent that God actually has to give her faith, because simply teaching her doesn't do it. She's been taught by many people for decades, including myself and her mother in law, but it just doesn't catch her.
My mother... well she's not HOSTILE to Christianity in that she knows I believe it and is fine with that. But she thinks it's just a guidelines for moral living, and "I don't need Jesus to be a good person" I have tried to explain that's not how it works that there ARE no "good persons" and that she needs a savior...
but between catholic teaching from a lot of my family in older generations (no offense to those who are Catholic but actually put their faith in Jesus Christ) for works based salvation and her disliking many prominent false teachers in the world like your Kenneth Copelands and Benny Hinns of the world.. it's like a wall gets put between what she takes in from teaching and her mind. She's blocked it off. She also doesn't like when pastors get passionate in their preaching and say things about being "blood bought" and "covered in the blood of Jesus" or talking about the power of the holy spirit, etc. She agrees with the moral teaching, she believes Jesus was a real person and a good teacher about how to live life morally.. but the most essential parts of the gospel she just refuses. She's stuck on it being her works and she's been led into new age and eastern mysticism and pantheism and universalism by my father when she was younger.. she combines that with the works based salvation of Catholicism to form her core beliefs. It's scary because I believe that is ultimately what the one world religion of the end times will be like, works salvation, combining eastern mysticism and catholicism, seeing Jesus as some sort of Enlightened Zen Buddhist teacher, with an abstract creator rather than a personal creator.
A very vivid dream I had weeks ago, basically set my sister's fate as uncertain and my mother as utterly rejecting Jesus.
So I don't really know what to do. my sister is looking for something that no human can give her, and my mother just rejects it and I'm afraid is on the path to believing the strong delusion (the age of aquarius).
all I can do is pray.

I agree a lot with your family. We all need a savior, but not everyone who believes in Jesus is a good person. The whole "there are no good" is taken out of context by many protestants who apply very few reasoning or educated views onto what they read in scripture and take everything at face value.

There is no mysticism at al in anything you describe, she is just an actual down to earth type of christian that has not allowed herself to get brainwashed or fooled by various church talk from people of bad theology, or scam artists.

I am going to be honest and harsh but you are practically the "younger" Christian. My biggest advice is learn good theology and stop thinking negatively of your families views because they are not in the wrong. You are.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well, they see right through the lie that is "believe in Jesus, send Kenneth Copeland $1000 as a "seed" and Jesus make you rich."
That's the gospel these people preach.
There are Christians who are impoverished, Christians who have lifelong chronic illnesses, Christians who are homeless.
Lazarus was a poor beggar that was homeless.
The rich man went to hell, Lazarus went to a place of comfort (and is now in heaven) Luke 16 tells their story.
Wealth is definitely not a sign of salvation, and is not a part of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

i've actually listened to the man's sermons, read up on his ministry's financial audits, and been a partner with KCM for a number of years; so i know you're mistaken. He's not Jesus; he doesn't have perfect revelation of God's word; but then neither do i, and neither do you. what do you really know about this ministry? or are you just taking someone else's word that he's a 'wolf among the sheep'?

yes, many Christians face problems; but Jesus was wealthy from his birth, was never sick, and never homeless - and He is the example we are to follow, not other Christians, right?

(Luk 16:27) Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:
(Luk 16:28) For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.
(Luk 16:29) Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.
(Luk 16:30) And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.
(Luk 16:31) And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

the rich man was on the bad side of the gulf because he didn't believe Moses and the prophets; not because he was rich - the centurion, of whom Jesus said "I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel", was wealthy enough to build a synogague for the Jews; Joseph of Arimathaea was wealthy enough to prepare Jesus' body with fine linnen and also provide a tomb - how do you reconcile these examples?

health isn't a sign of salvation either, yet there are healthy Christians - so why is wealth different? can you ignore the scriptures i've shared and say without reserve that 'prosperity is not a part of the Gospel of Jesus Christ'? and just what is the good news that Jesus preached to the poor - if you were poor what would you consider to be good news, if not that you don't have to be poor no more?

according to Jesus, you will have what you say that you believe in your heart, so i expect that you won't be burdened with wealth, since you reject that it's part of the gospel...

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
i've actually listened to the man's sermons, read up on his ministry's financial audits, and been a partner with KCM for a number of years; so i know you're mistaken. He's not Jesus; he doesn't have perfect revelation of God's word; but then neither do i, and neither do you. what do you really know about this ministry? or are you just taking someone else's word that he's a 'wolf among the sheep'?

yes, many Christians face problems; but Jesus was wealthy from his birth, was never sick, and never homeless - and He is the example we are to follow, not other Christians, right?

(Luk 16:27) Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:
(Luk 16:28) For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.
(Luk 16:29) Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.
(Luk 16:30) And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.
(Luk 16:31) And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

the rich man was on the bad side of the gulf because he didn't believe Moses and the prophets; not because he was rich - the centurion, of whom Jesus said "I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel", was wealthy enough to build a synogague for the Jews; Joseph of Arimathaea was wealthy enough to prepare Jesus' body with fine linnen and also provide a tomb - how do you reconcile these examples?

health isn't a sign of salvation either, yet there are healthy Christians - so why is wealth different? can you ignore the scriptures i've shared and say without reserve that 'prosperity is not a part of the Gospel of Jesus Christ'? and just what is the good news that Jesus preached to the poor - if you were poor what would you consider to be good news, if not that you don't have to be poor no more?

according to Jesus, you will have what you say that you believe in your heart, so i expect that you won't be burdened with wealth, since you reject that it's part of the gospel...

Jesus was homeless on earth once He began traveling for His ministry. He wasn't wealthy.
Matthew 8
19 And a certain scribe came, and said unto him, Master, I will follow thee whithersoever thou goest.
20 And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.
He was provided for by the Lord but that most certainly didn't mean He was swimming in wealth.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,820.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Pray for the salvation of your relatives... if you think you need to wait and see if God saves them this is a so wrong thought,
the widow that Jesus talked about insisted until the judge listened to her, the mother of samuel i think it was, cried for years to have a son in the temple. If God says no, ok then he said no, but don't think prayer can't have an effect.

There is tesminonies of pepole praying for years, and even they died without seeing their sons or daughters converted but later they believed. So be patient... even if you don't see a result for years.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I agree a lot with your family. We all need a savior, but not everyone who believes in Jesus is a good person. The whole "there are no good" is taken out of context by many protestants who apply very few reasoning or educated views onto what they read in scripture and take everything at face value.

There is no mysticism at al in anything you describe, she is just an actual down to earth type of christian that has not allowed herself to get brainwashed or fooled by various church talk from people of bad theology, or scam artists.

I am going to be honest and harsh but you are practically the "younger" Christian. My biggest advice is learn good theology and stop thinking negatively of your families views because they are not in the wrong. You are.

She isn't a Christian at all. She knows OF Him but she does know know Him. She outright thinks she doesn't need Him.
and I don't want to get into a Catholic vs Christianity theology debate. So don't go there.

• Agree
Reactions: NBB
Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Jesus was homeless on earth once He began traveling for His ministry. He wasn't wealthy.
Matthew 8

He was provided for by the Lord but that most certainly didn't mean He was swimming in wealth.

(Mat 2:11) And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.

that's 'swimming in wealth'

Jesus was on the road a lot and so he often 'had not where to lay His head'; but He did have a home - since he wasn't married, His home was with His father Joseph

Brother, you aren't going to convince me that prosperity isn't part of Jesus' gospel - i'm just offering advice in response to your request

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've tried. Any attempt just makes him angry and disrupts the whole get together every year. My mother isn't long for this world and I wasn't about to start another argument. She wasn't even able to get out of bed yesterday. Cancer.
Sorry, hope she is feeling better soon and gets better.

Reactions: Arc F1
Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,820.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
(Mat 2:11) And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.

that's 'swimming in wealth'

Jesus was on the road a lot and so he often 'had not where to lay His head'; but He did have a home - since he wasn't married, His home was with His father Joseph

Brother, you aren't going to convince me that prosperity isn't part of Jesus' gospel - i'm just offering advice in response to your request

Jesus couln't care less for money though. The same as the apostles, i don't see anyone of them trying to get rich, less with the offerings of other christians, 'having a roof and food and clothes stay contempt' says the bible, so those people who take money from the church to live in mansions, i don't know what giong on there, if you get rich working thats perfectly fine, you can even help others with your wealth and i think God could even bless you to be rich, abraham/job etc were rich.
Also i don't know for certain, but even unbelievers say keneth copeland rubs them the wrong way/looks like he has a demon or something... sorry but he gives me the creeps.

• Agree
Reactions: Jamdoc
Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,820.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@Jamdoc
PRay for your relatives!, God invented prayer for something!, if everything a christian would get is because God ordained or something and nothing could be done about it, why prayer would exist?
the bible says: "you don't have because you don't ask"!!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
@Jamdoc
PRay for your relatives!, God invented prayer for something!, if everything a christian would get is because God ordained or something and nothing could be done about it, why prayer would exist?
the bible says: "you don't have because you don't ask"!!!!
Oh I ask, most days if not every day.
When my sister said that she just "hasn't had any life experience that's made her believe" and I realized that, personal testimony and biblical evidence just hadn't worked with her, she will only believe if God actually gives her the faith, that's what I pray for her. I pray for that more than I pray for healing for myself (it's just more important)

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,820.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh I ask, most days if not every day.
When my sister said that she just "hasn't had any life experience that's made her believe" and I realized that, personal testimony and biblical evidence just hadn't worked with her, she will only believe if God actually gives her the faith, that's what I pray for her. I pray for that more than I pray for healing for myself (it's just more important)

I ask a lot too for my dad.

Prayer should be the way we christians solve issues with God.

I can say prayer works, sometimes is not easy, but when i started to cry out to God a lot, he started helping me.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Being with God and your family and loved ones.

You will be:

Then Jesus' mother and brothers arrived. Standing outside, they sent someone in to call him. A crowd was sitting around him, and they told him, "Your mother and brothers are outside looking for you." "Who are my mother and my brothers?" he asked. Whoever does God's will is my brother and sister and mother."
Mark 3:31-35

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” John 13:34-35

Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
all I can do is pray.

Dear Jamdoc,
Don’t be discouraged that your prayers have not been answered.

This is what we have heard:
God has shown us such mercy that we do not lose courage as we do the work He has given us. ·2 Corinthians 4:1 CJB

I believe you already understand that academic understanding of the gospel would not bring your sister or anyone to Christ.

I understand your longing for your sister to come to repentance and believe in Christ as her savior.

I did, too long to be with Christ for my intellectual edification through reading the bible, but His presence was then getting further and further from me. After many years, I have struggled to understand this - the Lord wants me to develop a loving relationship with Him.

It is good that your sister is not opposed to Christianity or the gospel. You can be thankful for that she is still willing to listen though she doesn’t understand yet ; when she eventually understands, she will know your love despite her prior resistance.

I understand that personal testimonies you think suffice especially from family member or close friends — are not enough for your sister and mother. They have not tasted this spiritual experience and reality.

I did share my personal experience to my mother but to no avail, even though, I cry before her. So, I understand your frustration and inner conflict.

I understand your thoughts that God has to give her faith for what you and your mother in law share and teach for decades, yet they don’t know what they are believing in.

I understand your sister’s willingness to have personal spiritual experiences with Christ.

Let me share what hinder your prayer and your sharing of the gospel to your sister and mother.

You know the parable of the sower and the parable of the weeds. Please bear with me. From the parable, you know the ground is the heart. When you share the gospel or the word of the kingdom, some hearts may be at the wayside, or filled with stones, or even thorns.

In regard to your sister, you have mentioned that her heart is filled with new age, eastern mysticism, pantheism, universalism and catholicism . As for your mother, you know what they are.

Whatever they are, you know the importance of plowing the ground before planting seed.

I understand your question:
How to plow the ground when it is not your ground ? This is what we have heard:
For every high priest chosen from among men is appointed to act on behalf of men in relation to God, to offer gifts and sacrifices for sins. -Hebrews 5:1

Therefore, in this matter, you are told to seek our High Priest, who is our Lord Jesus Christ and pray on behalf of your sister and mother.
But it is not all, for the High Priest is required to offer gifts and sacrifices.
What do our High Priest brings ?
the Lamb of God, that is, His sacrifice and His blood.

For this is what we have heard:
Consequently, He ( Christ ) is able to save to THE UTTERMOST THOSE who draw near to God through Him ( Christ),
since He ( Christ ) ALWAYS LIVES TO MAKE INTERCESSION for them. -Hebrews 7:25

You have to draw near to God through Christ, the High Priest since Christ always lives to make intercession for the sinners.

Intercede means pleads on behalf of those who offended God because of their sins.

Since the Lord have told us that there are evidence of the enemy‘s presence when we spread the gospel — when the birds of the air came and devour the seed. We need to understand this:
For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. -2 Corinthians 10:4

We need to destroy strongholds of the enemies. That is also done through prayer.

Before you pray for your sister and mother, you must understand what hinder prayer:

Behold, the LORD's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save, or his ear dull, that it cannot hear; -Isaiah 59:1
but your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God, and your sins have hidden his face from you so that he does not hear. -Isaiah 59:2

Therefore, before you pray for your sister and mother, first be reconciled to God. How? By releasing forgiveness to those who wrong you including your sister and mother if there are.
After you have released forgiveness, believe that you have met the Lord’s condition to be forgiven.

Start interceding for your sister’s sin and mother’s sin as if they are yours and seek the Lord’s mercy through Christ.

You can pray in this manner:
The blood of the Lamb will redeem....from the bonds of wickedness and set... completely free in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen

The blood of the Lamb will redeem....from new age, eastern mysticism, pantheism, universalism and catholicism and set... completely free in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen

Keep believing that you receive what you pray according to Mark 11:22-25.

If you have prayed and have not received your answer, you need to concern yourself in what manner you have not aligned with God’s will and you need to seek whatever God has said in the Bible that hinder prayer.

I believe there is not a prayer that God will not answer that accords with His will.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Dear Jamdoc,
Don’t be discouraged that your prayers have not been answered.

This is what we have heard:
God has shown us such mercy that we do not lose courage as we do the work He has given us. ·2 Corinthians 4:1 CJB

I believe you already understand that academic understanding of the gospel would not bring your sister or anyone to Christ.

I understand your longing for your sister to come to repentance and believe in Christ as her savior.

I did, too long to be with Christ for my intellectual edification through reading the bible, but His presence was then getting further and further from me. After many years, I have struggled to understand this - the Lord wants me to develop a loving relationship with Him.

It is good that your sister is not opposed to Christianity or the gospel. You can be thankful for that she is still willing to listen though she doesn’t understand yet ; when she eventually understands, she will know your love despite her prior resistance.

I understand that personal testimonies you think suffice especially from family member or close friends — are not enough for your sister and mother. They have not tasted this spiritual experience and reality.

I did share my personal experience to my mother but to no avail, even though, I cry before her. So, I understand your frustration and inner conflict.

I understand your thoughts that God has to give her faith for what you and your mother in law share and teach for decades, yet they don’t know what they are believing in.

I understand your sister’s willingness to have personal spiritual experiences with Christ.

Let me share what hinder your prayer and your sharing of the gospel to your sister and mother.

You know the parable of the sower and the parable of the weeds. Please bear with me. From the parable, you know the ground is the heart. When you share the gospel or the word of the kingdom, some hearts may be at the wayside, or filled with stones, or even thorns.

In regard to your sister, you have mentioned that her heart is filled with new age, eastern mysticism, pantheism, universalism and catholicism . As for your mother, you know what they are.

Whatever they are, you know the importance of plowing the ground before planting seed.

I understand your question:
How to plow the ground when it is not your ground ? This is what we have heard:
For every high priest chosen from among men is appointed to act on behalf of men in relation to God, to offer gifts and sacrifices for sins. -Hebrews 5:1

Therefore, in this matter, you are told to seek our High Priest, who is our Lord Jesus Christ and pray on behalf of your sister and mother.
But it is not all, for the High Priest is required to offer gifts and sacrifices.
What do our High Priest brings ?
the Lamb of God, that is, His sacrifice and His blood.

For this is what we have heard:
Consequently, He ( Christ ) is able to save to THE UTTERMOST THOSE who draw near to God through Him ( Christ),
since He ( Christ ) ALWAYS LIVES TO MAKE INTERCESSION for them. -Hebrews 7:25

You have to draw near to God through Christ, the High Priest since Christ always lives to make intercession for the sinners.

Intercede means pleads on behalf of those who offended God because of their sins.

Since the Lord have told us that there are evidence of the enemy‘s presence when we spread the gospel — when the birds of the air came and devour the seed. We need to understand this:
For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. -2 Corinthians 10:4

We need to destroy strongholds of the enemies. That is also done through prayer.

Before you pray for your sister and mother, you must understand what hinder prayer:

Behold, the LORD's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save, or his ear dull, that it cannot hear; -Isaiah 59:1
but your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God, and your sins have hidden his face from you so that he does not hear. -Isaiah 59:2

Therefore, before you pray for your sister and mother, first be reconciled to God. How? By releasing forgiveness to those who wrong you including your sister and mother if there are.
After you have released forgiveness, believe that you have met the Lord’s condition to be forgiven.

Start interceding for your sister’s sin and mother’s sin as if they are yours and seek the Lord’s mercy through Christ.

You can pray in this manner:
The blood of the Lamb will redeem....from the bonds of wickedness and set... completely free in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen

The blood of the Lamb will redeem....from new age, eastern mysticism, pantheism, universalism and catholicism and set... completely free in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen

Keep believing that you receive what you pray according to Mark 11:22-25.

If you have prayed and have not received your answer, you need to concern yourself in what manner you have not aligned with God’s will and you need to seek whatever God has said in the Bible that hinder prayer.

I believe there is not a prayer that God will not answer that accords with His will.

You got it a little bit mixed up. It's my mother that has dabbled in new age and pantheism.
My sister.. doesn't have any real beliefs. She's agnostic.
If you want to see it as the parable of the sower...
my mother is the wayside where the seed is instantly eaten by the birds.
my sister is the soil choked with weeds. she concerns herself mostly with this life, and doesn't really deal with matters of eternity.
I am more hopeful for my sister than my mother.
My sister just needs a personal experience with God, and she'll believe.
My mother... I don't see her believing until we have literal prophecy fulfillment. I mean Damascus being completely and utterly destroyed in a day (Isaiah 17). Russia, Turkey, and Iran invading Israel and Israel winning the war despite having no allied help. (Ezekiel 38 and 39). I need to be able to point to things like that being true so she'll believe the rest of the bible. Anything she does not see happening exactly as it is in scripture, will just make her say "well you can apply those prophecies to whatever you want since they're so vague"

Upvote 0