Spirit Alight

Oct 8, 2013
Irving, Texas
✟15,111.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
I have been a Christian for a little over two years. One of the first things I began to gravitate towards was discerning of Biblical teaching. Now, granted. I don't know everything about the bible and it's history, but I'm learning as much as I can. The one thing that I have a problem with is the prosperity gospel teachers, who take advantage of people and also, twist scripture to fit into their teachings, as opposed to what the Bible truly says.

Where we are taught by the Bible to deny ourselves, to carry our cross and follow Jesus, and to not lay up treasures here on earth, but instead lay up for ourselves treasures in heaven, some teachers out there continue to give the teaching that God wants us to be rich and have all those blessings now. Unfortunately, a lot of people have little choice than to watch programs on TBN, where they host a number of questionable teachers. Of course, no teacher can replace Jesus and God's Word, but for spiritual growth, we rely on the Church to edify and grow together.

So the question I pose to you is, with so many false teachers out there, who do you trust?

David Sylvian

From Japan With Love
Oct 12, 2013
✟15,463.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you think life is about money you do not have love. I do not trust people who show they do not know the love of God. It is really that simple.

Exception is when I know it is someone I know. For instance, my closest friend, Michelle, was arguing to me about how atheist she is, which is absurd. I do not know how she can do that with a straight face. I guess her way of doing a devil's advocate view.

Still made me upset because... of all people...

How do you know if they have the love of God? I suppose you have to have it your own self is how to know. Then, it is not to difficult to see.

But, really, you have to go by what your heart says, what the Spirit says, especially these days as there is so much which the Spirit makes metaphoric. People talking from God, but they do not know what they are saying.

You have to rely on the Spirit for translation.

Sometimes the only point is rhetorics, or arguing a point by arguing backwards as some of my friends do.

Sarcasm does not lead a person to hell, but it really can be overdone and annoying.

Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One good way to guard against false teaching is to learn from as many different people as possible. If a high percentage of our world view comes from one person, there is a higher risk for distortion. So I approach it this way: learn many perspectives, pray for discernment, admit that I could be wrong, and slowly build a foundation based on the Bible with as much context as possible. Most false teaching comes from pulling things from scripture out of context, misunderstanding the literary forms of the Bible, or by overemphasizing one principle while ignoring others.

Upvote 0

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
One good way to guard against false teaching is to learn from as many different people as possible. If a high percentage of our world view comes from one person, there is a higher risk for distortion. So I approach it this way: learn many perspectives, pray for discernment, admit that I could be wrong, and slowly build a foundation based on the Bible with as much context as possible. Most false teaching comes from pulling things from scripture out of context, misunderstanding the literary forms of the Bible, or by overemphasizing one principle while ignoring others.

This is a good answer. :)

To the OP, I avoid "prosperity gospel" like the plague. Learning about the Bible, Christian theology, etc takes time; it's an ongoing process. As you grow, spotting error becomes easier, but always keep an attitude of grace when approaching any subject with someone.

Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ultimately, I don't think anyone is always right. You need to check what you hear with God's Word to see if it is true. If you hear someone and they always seem to be on target chances are they are taking the time to pray and carefully study God's Word

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

You ought to trust the Word of God and those who are teaching it all - not just the parts that can be made to tickle the ears of those who are listening (ala Joel Osteen).

Selah.

Upvote 0

iambren

Mar 2, 2008
newark, ohio
✟12,121.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I trust almost no one. I don't watch Christian TV,it embarrasses me. The prosperity doctrine I figured was bunk a long time ago.

I sometimes wonder if God does not expect us to chase after those of high charisma because if they are not local to our congregation there is no way to see their character lived out.

Upvote 0

asiyreh

God is salvation
Mar 14, 2012
Ireland
✟9,457.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'll second Alki and say the Word of God alone in these dark times.

Anytime I hear people say something spiritual, a verse i've read from the bible immediately pops into my mind, either confirming or denying what the persons claims are.

If you don't know the word of God you can always be deceived.

People however may be well meaning, I think Sin maybe binds everyone to a certain extent from speaking the absolute truth.

You know those to prophets at the end of revelation? Now there's an argument that's simply a metaphor for the old and new testament(2 prophets).

But let's say there's two actual prophets that pop up. I fancy they might be sinless in some form or fashion. Not the complete righteousness of Christ. But something which could be described as sinless.

Maybe it's just a theory.

There's a theology that Christ was born as a virgin so as not to receive the sin of adam passed through the male line.
Thus he was perfect from birth, sinless.

But maybe these prophets could have normal births so as to not have the complete righteousness like Christ but could be sinless. Maybe...

Who knows. But yeh learn the Word. Podcasts, bible studies, actual reading whatever, just know it. I hate to sound cliche, but be one with the bible.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Where we are taught by the Bible to deny ourselves, to carry our cross and follow Jesus, and to not lay up treasures here on earth, but instead lay up for ourselves treasures in heaven

I don't know if you still need these, but here you go:
"If anyone wishes to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me." Luke 9:23

"Sell your possessions and give to charity; make yourselves purses which do not wear out, an unfailing treasure in heaven, where no thief comes near, nor moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." Luke 12:33-34
Yours and His,
David

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shulamite7

Jul 13, 2012
✟15,669.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A thorough knowledge of the Word of God will help you discern between right and wrong. Those who love the world and what the world has to offer will always flock around prosperity gospel teachers. A true christian will always try to please the Lord no matter how hard it gets. Say you want something real bad but it is a sin to have it. Then you will resist it and flee from it. That is denying yourself. Then you are doing the Lord's will. It is not easy and not comfortable when you deny yourself but in the end you will be greatly rewarded and thats what we ought to do.

I totally stay away from prosperity gospel teachers. I don't listen to them at all. But I do get deceived sometimes and walk away from them when I realise that they are wolves in sheep's clothing.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Satanic deception in a false teacher runs deep into a person. The deep things of Satan have convinced them on the inside of their 'truthisms' and they become hypocritical liars who speak according to the father of lies since they are under satan's influence. That is why if they do not speak according to the word of God, there is no light in them. They call God in effect a liar changing the meanings of His words. There are degrees of being under the influence, drunk on the spirit of this world. And their situation can get progressively worse. Look what Satan did in Eden, changing what God had said saying they would not die.
A major flag is saying that there is another way to God separate from believing in Christ. That is a perversion of the gospel.

8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them, “Rulers of the people and elders of Israel: 9 If we this day are judged for a good deed done to a helpless man, by what means he has been made well, 10 let it be known to you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead, by Him this man stands here before you whole. 11 This is the ‘stone which was rejected by you builders, which has become the chief cornerstone.’[a] 12 Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”

Such false teaching is obvious and anyone who says there is another way is not speaking by the Holy Spirit and Satan is at work.

False teachers are in opposition to God and it is God who must grant repentance, they can not be restored any other way.

24 And a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient, 25 in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth, 26 and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will.

A false teaching on these forums which I find surprising it exists is saying Paul was a false apostle, an emissary of Satan. Peter says such people twist what Paul wrote to their own destruction and adds 'as they do also the rest of the Scriptures'. So you will find a true 'haha so funny true' false teacher twists progressively all the scriptures as they progress down that dark road to perdition.

14 Therefore, beloved, looking forward to these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, without spot and blameless; 15 and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation—as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you, 16 as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures.

Probably the most effective false teachers are going to start out seemingly benign until they gather to themselves sufficient mass of persons, then they will become bolder in their assertions. Paul wrote about such who seek to make disciples after themselves, they tend to arise from among your own selves, that is from within the visible church, they are wolves in sheeps clothing. Wolves goal is to destroy the sheep anyway they can.

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I tend to stick with what I hear at my church and more importantly if its biblical. Online tends to be a dangerous place to learn more because things vary so much on it. I've seen many easily get swayed in bad directions because of false teachers who are all over the net. Even on this forum there are many views and it sometimes confuses new christians.

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have been a Christian for a little over two years. One of the first things I began to gravitate towards was discerning of Biblical teaching. Now, granted. I don't know everything about the bible and it's history, but I'm learning as much as I can. The one thing that I have a problem with is the prosperity gospel teachers, who take advantage of people and also, twist scripture to fit into their teachings, as opposed to what the Bible truly says.

Where we are taught by the Bible to deny ourselves, to carry our cross and follow Jesus, and to not lay up treasures here on earth, but instead lay up for ourselves treasures in heaven, some teachers out there continue to give the teaching that God wants us to be rich and have all those blessings now. Unfortunately, a lot of people have little choice than to watch programs on TBN, where they host a number of questionable teachers. Of course, no teacher can replace Jesus and God's Word, but for spiritual growth, we rely on the Church to edify and grow together.

So the question I pose to you is, with so many false teachers out there, who do you trust?

i've been studying the Bible for many years, and what i see is that it is God's will for people to prosper so that they can be a blessing to others and demonstrate God's goodness to others, as well as be an example of how our Good Sheppard takes excellent care of His sheep. Jesus was given great wealth at His birth, and gave to the poor regularly. He traveled extensively and yet worked no job. the cross He wants you to bear is not physical lack and modesty, but spiritual humility and a will freely yielded to God's leading. look at Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Job, David, Solomon, etc. - all great men of God who were also extremely wealthy - obviously it is God's will that His children prosper.

sure, there are wolves who extort money out of people by promising prosperity; but there are also wolves who teach that it is through suffering and poverty and sickness that God teaches us - who in their right mind would want to follow such a god? the lost already have a god like that - satan - our God is one who wants You to give all you have to Him so that He can multiply it back to you; the cross He wants you to bear is to be an example of how Good He is:

Mar 10:29-30 KJV
(29) And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's,
(30) But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
i've been studying the Bible for many years, and what i see is that it is God's will for people to prosper so that they can be a blessing to others and demonstrate God's goodness to others, as well as be an example of how our Good Sheppard takes excellent care of His sheep.
Hmmm...Um, what about Christian martyrs? Or how about the apostle Paul who wrote,

2 Corinthians 11:23-28
23 Are they ministers of Christ?--I speak as a fool--I am more: in labors more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequently, in deaths often.
24 From the Jews five times I received forty stripes minus one.
25 Three times I was beaten with rods; once I was stoned; three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I have been in the deep;
26 in journeys often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils of my own countrymen, in perils of the Gentiles, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;
27 in weariness and toil, in sleeplessness often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness--
28 besides the other things, what comes upon me daily: my deep concern for all the churches.

Most of the world's Christian believers live in conditions that we would consider to be impoverished (Africa, China, South America). Is the Good Shepherd taking excellent care of them? Yes, of course he is. But this isn't necessarily evident by the affluence of their circumstances. It certainly wasn't for the apostle Paul - or any of the apostles, for that matter.

I agree with you in the first part of what you wrote above, but the last bit gives me serious pause.

Jesus was given great wealth at His birth, and gave to the poor regularly.
Off the top of my head I can't think of a single passage in Scripture that says Jesus gave alms to the poor. Could you give me a reference? Thanks!

He traveled extensively and yet worked no job. the cross He wants you to bear is not physical lack and modesty,
But, then again, it might be. No where in Scripture are we told that Jesus was wealthy or even financially comfortable. He certainly didn't suggest to his disciples that they would have an easy go of it being his followers.

John 15:18-20
18 If the world hate you, you know that it hated me before it hated you.
19 If you were of the world, the world would love its own: but because you are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.
20 Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you...

Luke 22:35-36
35 And He said to them, "When I sent you without money bag, knapsack, and sandals, did you lack anything?" So they said, "Nothing."
36 Then He said to them, "But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.

but spiritual humility and a will freely yielded to God's leading.
Amen!

look at Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Job, David, Solomon, etc. - all great men of God who were also extremely wealthy - obviously it is God's will that His children prosper.
I think it is His will that we are industrious in our labours; and when we are, He often blesses us with material gain - but not always. Before Joseph was the second-in-command of Egypt he was sold as a slave and then his remarkable industry as a slave and his fidelity toward God landed him in prison! Was Joseph outside of God's will in all that happened to him? Not at all. King David was running for his life in the wilderness for quite a while before he became king. Was he outside of God's will in having to do so? Not according to Scripture. How about Daniel? He was thrown into a den of hungry lions for refusing to dishonor his God. Was this situation outside of God's will? No. In fact, God used Daniel's courage and confidence in Him in this awful circumstance to show His power to the pagan king Daniel served. And we all know what happened to Job. We are told in Scripture that God purposely allowed desolation to fall upon Job; God was as much in Job's destitution and illness as He was in Job's affluence.

sure, there are wolves who extort money out of people by promising prosperity; but there are also wolves who teach that it is through suffering and poverty and sickness that God teaches us - who in their right mind would want to follow such a god?
Why would material wealth be of any great importance to a believer? Jesus said,

Matthew 6:19-21
19 "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal;
20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.
21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

The apostle Paul wrote,

1 Timothy 6:5-12
5 ...who suppose that godliness is a means of gain. From such withdraw yourself.
6 Now godliness with contentment is great gain.
7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
8 And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content.
9 But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition.
10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
11 But you, O man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, gentleness.
12 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, to which you were also called and have confessed the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.

the lost already have a god like that - satan - our God is one who wants You to give all you have to Him so that He can multiply it back to you; the cross He wants you to bear is to be an example of how Good He is:

Mar 10:29-30 KJV
(29) And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's,
(30) But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life.
God's multiplication in this passage is obviously figurative. He is not going to literally multiply your mother a hundred-fold, nor your father or siblings. I agree with you that God wants to bless us with an abundant life, He wants to do "abundantly above all that we may ask or think," but this is more often in the spiritual and eternal realm than it is the temporal and material one.

Selah.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hmmm...Um, what about Christian martyrs? Or how about the apostle Paul who wrote,

2 Corinthians 11:23-28
23 Are they ministers of Christ?--I speak as a fool--I am more: in labors more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequently, in deaths often.
24 From the Jews five times I received forty stripes minus one.
25 Three times I was beaten with rods; once I was stoned; three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I have been in the deep;
26 in journeys often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils of my own countrymen, in perils of the Gentiles, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;
27 in weariness and toil, in sleeplessness often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness--
28 besides the other things, what comes upon me daily: my deep concern for all the churches.

Most of the world's Christian believers live in conditions that we would consider to be impoverished (Africa, China, South America). Is the Good Shepherd taking excellent care of them? Yes, of course he is. But this isn't necessarily evident by the affluence of their circumstances. It certainly wasn't for the apostle Paul - or any of the apostles, for that matter.

I agree with you in the first part of what you wrote above, but the last bit gives me serious pause.

Off the top of my head I can't think of a single passage in Scripture that says Jesus gave alms to the poor. Could you give me a reference? Thanks!

But, then again, it might be. No where in Scripture are we told that Jesus was wealthy or even financially comfortable. He certainly didn't suggest to his disciples that they would have an easy go of it being his followers.

John 15:18-20
18 If the world hate you, you know that it hated me before it hated you.
19 If you were of the world, the world would love its own: but because you are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.
20 Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you...

Luke 22:35-36
35 And He said to them, "When I sent you without money bag, knapsack, and sandals, did you lack anything?" So they said, "Nothing."
36 Then He said to them, "But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.

Amen!

I think it is His will that we are industrious in our labours; and when we are, He often blesses us with material gain - but not always. Before Joseph was the second-in-command of Egypt he was sold as a slave and then his remarkable industry as a slave and his fidelity toward God landed him in prison! Was Joseph outside of God's will in all that happened to him? Not at all. King David was running for his life in the wilderness for quite a while before he became king. Was he outside of God's will in having to do so? Not according to Scripture. How about Daniel? He was thrown into a den of hungry lions for refusing to dishonor his God. Was this situation outside of God's will? No. In fact, God used Daniel's courage and confidence in Him in this awful circumstance to show His power to the pagan king Daniel served. And we all know what happened to Job. We are told in Scripture that God purposely allowed desolation to fall upon Job; God was as much in Job's destitution and illness as He was in Job's affluence.

Why would material wealth be of any great importance to a believer? Jesus said,

Matthew 6:19-21
19 "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal;
20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.
21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

The apostle Paul wrote,

1 Timothy 6:5-12
5 ...who suppose that godliness is a means of gain. From such withdraw yourself.
6 Now godliness with contentment is great gain.
7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
8 And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content.
9 But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition.
10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
11 But you, O man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, gentleness.
12 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, to which you were also called and have confessed the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.

God's multiplication in this passage is obviously figurative. He is not going to literally multiply your mother a hundred-fold, nor your father or siblings. I agree with you that God wants to bless us with an abundant life, He wants to do "abundantly above all that we may ask or think," but this is more often in the spiritual and eternal realm than it is the temporal and material one.

Selah.

Peter and John had a fishing business that they could walk away from for 3 years and yet was still around for them to go back to after Jesus rose from the dead; Paul had a tent repair business that funded his expenses but not when he was a prisoner of Rome...as for martyrs and modern day believers, don't interpret scriptures with experience, interpret experience with scriptures.

Joh 12:4-6 KJVR
(4) Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, which should betray him,
(5) Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor?
(6) This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.

obviously there was a money bag, and giving to the poor was not a new concept to them

Mat 2:11 KJVR
(11) And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshiped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.

Jesus was wealthy from His birth

the instruction is for YOU to not lay up treasures; but rather give, and it shall be given to you - pressed down, shaken together and running over

Joseph had a pride problem that is evident in his bragging to his brothers and this led to his being a slave and a prisoner; he messed up by being in his master's house alone with his master's wife to begin with - people make mistakes and suffer consequences - this doesn't mean God orchestrated these things in his life. the same can be said for David - he was shooting his mouth off to Saul's soldiers about their hesitation to face the philistines and this got back to Saul, leading to David's persecution. Daniel lived in the king's house and ate the king's food. Job himself said that it was his own fears that led to his downfall; God limited what Job had yielded to the devil through fear, He was NOT the cause of it nor did He 'give' satan any permission that Job had not already given him - this is an issue of unrestricted authority over all the earth that God gave to men in Genesis 1:26; Job's whole ordeal lasted less than a year, and other than this time he was one of the most wealthy men in the earth before he yielded to the devil in fear, and was worth twice that at the end of his life. God is not in destitution and illness - this is calling evil good and good evil.

YOU are not to focus on laying up treasures for yourself but seek first the Kingdom of God - then HE will add all these things to you

Paul said to not use religion to get rich; it is the LOVE of money that is evil - money itself is merely a tool. these verses in Timothy do not make void what Jesus said in Mark.

this is the advice forum; it is not for debate - if you want to correct me or discuss this further, PM me

se·lah [see-luh, sel-uh] Show IPA
noun
an expression occurring frequently in the Psalms, thought to be a liturgical or musical direction, probably a direction by the leader to raise the voice or perhaps an indication of a pause.
Origin:
1520–30; < Hebrew sel&#257;h

Upvote 0

trulyconverted

Nov 21, 2012
Earth
✟8,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Read the whole bible, re-read the bible, re-read it again and again (in my case, I listen to an audio bible - easier, I just press play). Then when the false teachers come, you will most likely recognize if they start giving false teachings.

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
no offense taken; just trying to keep the focus on the original request for advice. i meant no offense either.

yes, the problem with religious terminology that is not typically used outside of a religious context is that it can mean different things to different people, and can actually cause confusion rather than clarification. just some food for thought (which i knew is what you intended by "Selah" :) )

Upvote 0