Visit site
✟10,380.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Saints... since prophesy and (some) televangelists seem to be such popular topics in this forum, I thought I'd chime in with this post.

Lamentations 2:14 (Message)
Your prophets courted you with sweet talk. They didn't face you with your sin so that you could repent. Their sermons were all wishful thinking, deceptive illusions.

Jeremiah 5: 30-31
An appalling and horrible thing has happened in the land: the prophets prophesy falsely, and the priests rule at their direction; my people love to have it so, but what will you do when the end comes?

False prophets come in many guises… astrologers, seers, insincere ministries, fortune tellers, occult-magicians and just plain con-artists. Be on your guard for they will appear benevolent and sincere. They are neither.
False prophets will pay a very high price for what they have done. God tells us that those Who preach the Word are held to a higher standard than the rest of the people. Those who intentionally pervert His Word for their own power or pleasure will be judged harshly. Be sure you keep plenty of space between you and them… You Don’t wanna get burned!

and remember…
Luke 21:8
He replied: "Watch out that you are not deceived. For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am he,' and, 'The time is near.' Do not follow them

rev

millerrod

Contributor
Dec 10, 2005
I try to live in obidence to god some days i fail
✟15,533.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I hold both of you to a high degree of respect as i am sure other brothers and sisters do as well.
Maybe you both could explain to others how to reconize false prophets.
Many times when we give a warning we forget to give the tools to apply the warning.
A broad warning without the tools of discerning that which is false can be many times nothing more than a stumbling stone of doubt in the gift of prophecy which in the end effects even those with the gift and are not false. Thanks !! Rod

Reactions: KleinerApfel
Upvote 0

ShammahBenJudah

Son of Zion
Oct 31, 2006
USA
✟73,073.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I hold both of you to a high degree of respect as i am sure other brothers and sisters do as well.
Maybe you both could explain to others how to reconize false prophets.
Many times when we give a warning we forget to give the tools to apply the warning.
A broad warning without the tools of discerning that which is false can be many times nothing more than a stumbling stone of doubt in the gift of prophecy which in the end effects even those with the gift and are not false. Thanks !! Rod
It may be tomorrow A.M. before I can get to it, but I'll throw in a couple of pennies.

The short answer is that a false prophet/teacher points us away from Christ and somewhere in the focus of their direction the lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes and or the pride of life will be fulfilled in listening to them.

I know that's kind of a 'duh' :doh: for some of us, but it really is that simple. Recognizing how following false prophecy/teaching does that may take a little discussion, though.

Upvote 0

simpleone

Veteran
Jan 30, 2007
✟18,099.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your prophets courted you with sweet talk. They didn't face you with your sin so that you could repent. Their sermons were all wishful thinking, deceptive illusions.

rev

This verse speaks a lot! thx brother...

Reactions: msbojingles
Upvote 0

youthwalk

Kimpa Vita
Dec 7, 2005
Visit site
✟47,713.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship

An appalling and horrible thing has happened in the land: the prophets prophesy falsely, and the priests rule at their direction; my people love to have it so, but what will you do when the end comes?

rev

:thumbsup:

If ONE thing can be said about the Word; it's NEVER outdated, ill timed or inapplicable.

:amen:

Reactions: msbojingles
Upvote 0

jive4005

Senior Veteran
Jun 14, 2007
Rhode Island
Visit site
✟10,380.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What I notice most is that the devil almost always tosses me a half-truth. Something for my feelings or intellect to gnaw on. I see now that's a big reason God wants us to KNOW the bible, what it says about these things. I find that over the years, it becomes easier for me to see "thru" some things. God's gift for sure.

rev

ps: I'll back to you on the "how" very soon.

pps: I've posted this topic in greatly extended form on my blog.

Upvote 0

ydouxist

Senior Veteran
Nov 27, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟19,940.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There are too many people claiming to be prophets and apostles running around today. If you challenge there so called "word from the lord" that never happen you get the touch not God's anointed thrown at you.
These individuals may have operated in the gift of prophecy at times but that DOES NOT qualify them for the office of a Prophet!
True Prophets are correct 100% of the time.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,458.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Saints... since prophesy and (some) televangelists seem to be such popular topics in this forum, I thought I'd chime in with this post.

False prophets come in many guises… astrologers, seers, insincere ministries, fortune tellers, occult-magicians and just plain con-artists. Be on your guard for they will appear benevolent and sincere. They are neither.
False prophets will pay a very high price for what they have done. God tells us that those Who preach the Word are held to a higher standard than the rest of the people. Those who intentionally pervert His Word for their own power or pleasure will be judged harshly. Be sure you keep plenty of space between you and them… You Don’t wanna get burned!

and remember…
Luke 21:8
He replied: "Watch out that you are not deceived. For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am he,' and, 'The time is near.' Do not follow them

rev

The scriptures you have quoted, with the exception of the Luke reference are from the Old Testament and cover the office of prophet to the nation of Israel under the Old Covenant.

So, how does this relate to the operation of the gift of prophecy as Paul taught it in 1Cor14?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IchoozJC

Dec 5, 2004
✟10,672.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It may be tomorrow A.M. before I can get to it, but I'll throw in a couple of pennies.

The short answer is that a false prophet/teacher points us away from Christ and somewhere in the focus of their direction the lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes and or the pride of life will be fulfilled in listening to them.

I know that's kind of a 'duh' :doh: for some of us, but it really is that simple. Recognizing how following false prophecy/teaching does that may take a little discussion, though.

I agree.

Lust of the flesh: the potential to get rich.

That just knocked down about every tv evangelist that's uttered prophecy.

Upvote 0

knownbeforetime

Princess of the Lord of Grace and Power
Dec 27, 2004
Pittsburg, KS
Visit site
✟21,967.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Let me guess:

They're all the ones on TV right?:doh:
128343688002656250hallelujahpra.jpg

^_^

Upvote 0

Jeffwo

~ In His service ~
Aug 9, 2002
Mississippi
Visit site
✟16,230.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
These individuals may have operated in the gift of prophecy at times but that DOES NOT qualify them for the office of a Prophet!
True Prophets are correct 100% of the time.

Pardon my ignorance but where exactly is this 'fact' located in scripture?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jive4005

Senior Veteran
Jun 14, 2007
Rhode Island
Visit site
✟10,380.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Found this in researching... I like it. It's long but really mahes a good outline for study.

rev

Prophecy...
or prediction, was one of the functions of the prophet. It has been defined as a "miracle of knowledge, a declaration or description or representation of something future, beyond the power of human sagacity to foresee, discern, or conjecture." The great prediction which runs like a golden thread through the whole contents of the Old Testament is that regarding the coming and work of the Messiah; and the great use of prophecy was to perpetuate faith in his coming, and to prepare the world for that event. But there are many subordinate and intermediate prophecies also which hold an important place in the great chain of events which illustrate the sovereignty and all-wise overruling providence of God. Then there are many prophecies regarding the Jewish nation, its founder Abraham (Gen. 12:1-3; 13:16; 15:5; 17:2, 4-6, etc.), and his posterity, Isaac and Jacob and their descendants (12:7; 13:14, 15, 17; 15:18-21; Ex. 3:8, 17), which have all been fulfilled. The twenty-eighth chapter of Deuteronomy contains a series of predictions which are even now in the present day being fulfilled. In the writings of the prophets Isaiah (2:18-21), Jeremiah (27:3-7; 29:11-14), Ezekiel (5:12; 8), Daniel (8; 9:26, 27), Hosea (9:17), there are also many prophecies regarding the events which were to befall that people. There is in like manner a large number of prophecies relating to those nations with which the Jews came into contact, as Tyre (Ezek. 26:3-5, 14-21), Egypt (Ezek. 29:10, 15; 30:6, 12, 13), Ethiopia (Nahum 3:8-10), Nineveh (Nahum 1:10; 2:8-13; 3:17-19), Babylon (Isa. 13:4; Jer. 51:7; Isa. 44:27; Jer. 50:38; 51:36, 39, 57), the land of the Philistines (Jer. 47:4-7; Ezek. 25:15-17; Amos 1:6-8; Zeph. 2:4-7; Zech. 9:5-8), and of the four great monarchies (Dan. 2:39, 40; 7:17-24; 8:9). But the great body of Old Testament prophecy relates directly to the advent of the Messiah, beginning with Gen. 3:15, the first great promise, and extending in ever-increasing fulness and clearness all through to the very close of the canon. The Messianic prophecies are too numerous to be quoted. "To him gave all the prophets witness." (Comp. Micah 5:2; Hag. 2:6-9; Isa. 7:14; 9:6, 7; 11:1, 2; 53; 60:10, 13; Ps. 16:11; 68:18.) Many predictions also were delivered by Jesus and his apostles. Those of Christ were very numerous. (Comp. Matt. 10:23:24; 11:23; 19:28; 21:43, 44; 24; 25:31-46; 26:17-35, 46, 64; Mark 9:1; 10:30; 13; 11:1-6, 14; 14:12-31, 42, 62; 16:17, etc.)

Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary

Upvote 0

Deba

The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want (period)
Jul 8, 2007
An American living in Laos
✟13,167.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Prophecy...
or prediction, was one of the functions of the prophet. The great prediction which runs like a golden thread through the whole contents of the Old Testament is that regarding the coming and work of the Messiah; and the great use of prophecy was to perpetuate faith in his coming, and to prepare the world for that event.

This is also the work of the NT prophet addressing all the same issues, except changing "coming" to 'has come and is coming again'

But there are many subordinate and intermediate prophecies also which hold an important place in the great chain of events which illustrate the sovereignty and all-wise overruling providence of God.

This is also the work of the NT prophet. Part of the prophet's job is to cause people hear the voice of God calling them to a relationship with Him made possible by the first coming of Jesus.

I think one way that a false prophet is created is when someone who is in fact called as a prophet, takes himself out of God's hand and makes himself into something that God did not intend. They 'touched the annointed' - their own sanctification and preparation was sent off course.

Reactions: jive4005
Upvote 0

ydouxist

Senior Veteran
Nov 27, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟19,940.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Pardon my ignorance but where exactly is this 'fact' located in scripture?

True Prophets are 100% accurate. Some of the ones calling themselves Prophets today may be no more than fortune tellers.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.