SDA please explain the failed prediction of Ellen White (SDA Prophet)

1. Do you think that the response to the original post has debunked the or objections to EGW

• Total voters

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thankyou Leaf473. Always happy to participate when the subject is of interest.

I actually spend a lot of time reading about Biblical history from an academic view. It gives good context as to how the writers of the books felt and what they were dealing with at the time of writing. Unfortunately that means reading things outside your faith and I seem to recall EGW encouraging members to stay away from things like the books of Apocrypha and other writings of the time. So probably not appropriate for this thread but not sure if anywhere else in this forum caters for this discussion.

Relevant to this thread, if anyone can find advice from EGW of the sorts, this may explain the perception of the Adventist congregation not being particularly well read outside the faith (i suppose it’s my perception as well).
Well, I'm virtually positive that discussing the Apocrypha is fine at least in some places here on CF, because Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, and Protestants are all equally welcome.

Below are some suggestions where people are likely talking about Christian history, Apocrypha/pseudepigrapha, early church fathers, prophecy, etc. Looking for the Statement of Purpose for each section can give one a good idea of what the section is supposed to be about. (You probably already know this, but here on CF when they say "Christian" they mean "Nicene Christian".)

Happy foruming! :) :heart:

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thankyou for responding - that makes sense for Jonah.

But I think Jonah is the easy example because the story tells why the Prophecy never was fulfilled.

Perhaps Jesus is a better example where he makes the claim about returning within the lifetime of those who were there… but obviously never does.
Jesus stated that no one knows the day or the hour, except the Father.

I think this is why the most common explanation in the early Church (and in Ellen White for that matter), was that Matthew 16:27 clearly speaks of the second coming, but that Matthew 16:28, and the parallel accounts in the synoptics, refer to the transfiguration. The proximity of the statement to the narrative has also been used to bolster this. In that case, it would be seen as such within the lifetime of the gospel writers, when the other explanation was still possible.

But in that regard, I also wonder why the ascension is never mentioned, since Jesus was coming into His kingdom, there were angel's present, the disciples were present, and the angels said He would return in like manner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0