notofthisworld

Mar 6, 2004
✟166.00
Faith
Christian
hi. i wanted to see if anyone can help me on something that's been bothering me for awhile, actually it's really scary to me. how do you think someone loses their faith in Jesus? i've heard of several instances, quite a few in these forums where people were christians and they denounced christianity to become atheists or another religion that doesn't accept christ. even pastors or people that had been christians a long time. sometimes i think they tempt God by seeking other truth after they have his? i hope this isn't too controversial i'm not trying to judge anyones religion, and i am posting in christians only forum. sometimes my faith feels practically non existant. i pray God won't let me lose my faith. any help appreciated, especially bible verses that may address this?

P

Protestant Minister

The two most common causes of lloss of faith are severe problems,sometimes caused by Satan,and a lack of a personal relationship with God.Some ministers fail to teach their congregations that the bible makes it very clear that Satan controls the world.In fact some clergy teach that God is in control of everything that happens in the world.If true,that sure would make God both sick and evil.But if someone is deceived enough to believe that,then it would be very understandable to reject Christianity when major problems occur which of course they blame on God.

If someone has not received the baptism of the Holy Spirit which Jesus stated is a requirement for salvation (John3:3-9) then they have only an intellectual relationship with God.Again,when a major crisis hits them,their anger can make them change their mind about their religious beliefs.But when someone has the Holy Spirit in their life,it's hard for these individuals to turn their backs on God.No wonder the baptism of the Holy Spirit is a requirement for salvation.God don't want no flaky Christians!

Upvote 0

sawdust

Jan 8, 2004
Darwin
✟198,262.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
notofthisworld said:
hi. i wanted to see if anyone can help me on something that's been bothering me for awhile, actually it's really scary to me. how do you think someone loses their faith in Jesus? i've heard of several instances, quite a few in these forums where people were christians and they denounced christianity to become atheists or another religion that doesn't accept christ. even pastors or people that had been christians a long time. sometimes i think they tempt God by seeking other truth after they have his? i hope this isn't too controversial i'm not trying to judge anyones religion, and i am posting in christians only forum. sometimes my faith feels practically non existant. i pray God won't let me lose my faith. any help appreciated, especially bible verses that may address this?

Hi there,

I can appreciate that scary feeling. There is a 3 way enemy running against us trying to keep us from having faith in Jesus. (sin, world and Satan) Sometimes I think "I am never going to make it to the end of this race Lord" but the verse I draw upon is Hebrews 12:1-2

"Therefore we also, who are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."

The two main reasons people walk away from Jesus is because they reach a point where they refuse to accept His teaching and therefore reject Him or they think they somehow just got a "free pass to Disneyland" and forget to count the cost and end up neglecting the things of God.
The various details of what leads people to these two different positions will be different for each individual but the story remains the same in the ultimate negligence or rejection of Christ.

You may not realise it, but the very fact that you pray to not lose your faith is a good sign. First it means the Lord has given you the desire to believe and secondly, He says that when we ask anything in His Name, He will do it. (John 14:13) I always say be very careful what you pray for because if you say what you mean and mean what you say, the Lord will do it. ;)

Be at peace my young friend. Concentrate on the verse above. Lay aside your fear (the sin that ensnares), look unto Jesus (trust His word) and He will see you through to the end of the race. :)

love and hugs :wave:

Upvote 0

terry13

Feb 22, 2004
south dakota
✟15,222.00
Faith
Christian
Be at peace...

For if you are truly saved...

Romans 8:33-39

Who shall bring a charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written: “For Your sake we are killed all day long; We are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.” Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Upvote 0

PottersClay

Servant of the Most High
Mar 10, 2004
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟15,375.00
Faith
Christian
... a lack of a personal relationship with God

This is THE reason. In fact every other cause of one "losing their faith" could be summed up as a lack of an intimate relationship with God. I intentionally did not say a "personal" relationship because having a personal relationship with God (ie what we use to describe our relationship with Him after salvation) and intimacy with God are two entirely different things.

Think about it. What exactly is faith? Some would quote the verse about "faith is the substance of things not seen, the assurance of things hoped for" but that really is the end result of faith. It is not how one "has" faith. One gets faith by getting to know the character, nature and behavior of the object of their faith.

For example, if you didnt know me, but i told you i was a financial genius and told you you should invest every cent you can get your hands on a particular investment, how much faith would you have in me? Very little. How much would you risk? Next to nothing because for all you know, i'm a con artist.

If however, we became friends, and you had time to observe that I really did have a good instinct for investments, and though you didnt know me that long, I had yet to make a bad investment, you would then be more likely to have more faith in me and risk more based on my advice.

But say we got married, and were married for 10 years. You would come to know me intimately. Now you would not only know me in the finance office, you'd know my character and nature as well, and not just how I am in public--you'd know who I really am. You'd know that I'm honest and ethical and would rather be penniless than make money dishonestly and that I would never suggest to someone they invest in something I wouldnt recommend to my own mother. And you'd also know that in the 10 years we had known each other, you NEVER knew me to invest in something that I didnt make a huge profit.

How much faith would you have in me then? How much money would you be willing to risk then? Probably everything, right?

Well, it's the same with God. Our faith in him is in direct porportion to how intimately we know Him. If we dont know Him well, we'll only trust Him with so much.

Those who "lose faith" never really had thier faith based on anything of substance. Their had "faith in faith" not faith in God. Those who truly know God, know that He will NEVER let them down. That faith cannot be lost.

PottersClay

BTW that finance thing was just an illustration. Sorry :sorry:

Upvote 0

Alternate Carpark

Mar 9, 2004
msn
✟4,459.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
May I ask this first notofthisworld, for the sole purpose of exploring it a little deeper to be able to see more of you and get a clearer understanding of your concerns.
sometimes my faith feels practically non existant.

Could you give examples and reasons as to why you feel this way.

Upvote 0

Tenorvoice

Give me Liberty ...Or a pie in the face
Feb 10, 2004
Way down yonder in the paw paw patch
✟22,387.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
A True beliver in Christ Jesus can not "loose" thier faith...but to quote Walt Henrichsen" The devil is willing to hold the ladder for anyone that is "willing" to siit on the shelf for God. The people that seem to "loose" their faith probl never learned to trust God in all that they do starting with the small things. also you must remeber that God will "shake" you every which way but loose.

last but not least lets look at the definition of FAITH: trusting the word of God & what He says regardless of the circumstanses and acting on it.

sorry for the spelling.

peace be with all

Upvote 0

laura_lynn

Oct 16, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
✟15,297.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I think that you're stronger than you think - even the fact that you are concerned that your faith isn't enough.
When you struggle, when you doubt - I have found that "recovering" from those times in our lives, or SEEKING to recover, are when God actually is most present in ways we can see and understand. Looking back to struggling times in my life, God was completely present even though I didn't see that at the time. When you struggle with knowing what to believe, just keep praying (even if you feel your prayers aren't being heard. They ARE!!!). God honours your attempts to understand, He isn't frustrated or impatient when we feel like we're wandering around in the dark.
Those times come to everyone I believe, with myself it feels like my faith has its hill and valleys - the times when I feel close with God, and the times when I feel far away.

... this posting sounds totally based on emotions and peachy feelings - if so, look further into the bible for encouragement. If I see anything that relates, which undoubtedly will happen, I will post again. :)

Upvote 0

notofthisworld

Mar 6, 2004
✟166.00
Faith
Christian
hello by saying sometimes my faith feels almost non existant i guess probably what i mean is that sometimes i don't feel like i'm gonna be able to finish the race especially in times in my life when i need to forgive someone that's really hurt me or my heart just feels very far away from God and how i know he wants me to be loving, forgiving, etc. not that i am losing faith in who God is. it's not difficulty having faith that God is real but i do have trouble taking his promises to me to heart. at the same time i can have very strong faith in God for other people. not sure what's wrong with me or if that makes sense. i have edited this post because in rereading it i realized i think i may be blaming God for my weak faith and lack of growth.that is of course my fault. i know now that i need to repent and seek him in prayer and bible study. God is good, his mercy beyond words!! Thank you all for your responses. God bless

Upvote 0

Alternate Carpark

Mar 9, 2004
msn
✟4,459.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
His word describes us as being vessels that are capable of being full of His qualities.
But what happens when this vessel is broken or has holes in it.
The vessel can never fill to overflowing, thus we have nothing or not much to share with others, let alone enough for ourselves.

Every person that comes to God is a broken vessel, some more than others, through the trials of life or by one's own personality traits.
We have been conditioned to believe that as soon as we are saved, we are to help others or we are to go to the frontline of the battlefield.

God does not want to fill broken vessels or send wounded soldiers to the frontline.
He is too loving a Father to do that or ask that of us.
His initial desire and plan within the new relationship between Him and us is one of loving restoration of our dameged souls.

But we as humans, tend to compare ourselves with our peers and feel less than adequate if we can't or don't feel like keeping up with other Christians,
or we feel that we ought to give something back to God for the wonderful gifts He bestows on us.

Each and every person who comes to God has wounds and pain and He doesn't expect anyone to "serve" Him and simply ignore how we are feeling.
The first thing on God's mind is to heal our wounds and establish an intimate trusting love relationship between Himself and the individual, regardless of what is happening in anyone else's life.

When God restores a broken life to the point that He can fill that person to overflowing, then and only then does He begin to ask you to do specific deeds.

When you become so secure in His love for you and you have allowed Him to heal you of the crippling pain and wounds, then He will gently ask "Would you do something for me ?"

This took me quite a few years to comprehend, because before, I felt/thought that I am not a very good Christian unless I am actively proclaiming the gospel in one way or another. I am saved, I must serve now thinking.
But to "work" for God when I am wounded only perpetuates the wounds and will create more.

It's like we comprehend His great love for us by acknowledging what Jesus did for us, but His acts of love stop there .
We think that once we are saved, He can't or will not perform any more acts of love to us on an individual basis.
But I say that Jesus dying on the cross is the beginning to the exuberant love that God desires for us as His precious children.

But what about all the other people who are hurting you may ask.
Well, you ARE one of the other people aren't you.
Allow God to Love you, this is His greatest desire is it not ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums