Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
According to the scriptures: Faith is believing the gospel for salvation.
According to Calvinism: Predestination is one predetermined or chosen to be regenerated and enabled to believe for salvation.

The scriptures state that salvation is a gift from God available to whosoever believes or places faith in Christ. Salvation is received by faith.
Calvinism states that salvation is a gift of God available only to those who are predestined. Salvation received by predestination.

Calvinism says that God regenerates the hearts of the elect; thereby making them receptive to the Gospel when it is preached to them. Salvation is through faith in Christ.

Those who are not chosen for salvation are left with an unregenerate heart, along with their rebellion against God and the Gospel.

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
According to the scriptures: Faith is believing the gospel for salvation.
According to Calvinism: Predestination is one predetermined or chosen to be regenerated and enabled to believe for salvation.

The scriptures state that salvation is a gift from God available to whosoever believes or places faith in Christ. Salvation is received by faith.
Calvinism states that salvation is a gift of God available only to those who are predestined. Salvation received by predestination.
Like the man said, there is no contradiction between predestination and salvation through faith.

One correction to something you said in your post though. Calvinists believe and teach that salvation is a gift of God available to all men who will but believe.

Salvation is not received by predestination as you say.

While it is certainly true that only those predestined to believe and elected to be the recipients of His grace will believe and be saved through faith - neither predestination nor election saves anyone - only a personal faith.

Upvote 0

RisenInJesus

Apr 8, 2016
USA
✟34,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Calvinism says that God regenerates the hearts of the elect; thereby making them receptive to the Gospel when it is preached to them. Salvation is through faith in Christ.

Those who are not chosen for salvation are left with an unregenerate heart, along with their rebellion against God and the Gospel.
Then according to Calvinism it is actually only by predestination that one is saved, because if one is not predestined or chosen for salvation to start with, then according to Calvinism "faith" will never occur. So without predestination, which is devoid of faith in Calvinism, salvation is not possible.

Upvote 0

RisenInJesus

Apr 8, 2016
USA
✟34,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Like the man said, there is no contradiction between predestination and salvation through faith.

One correction to something you said in your post though. Calvinists believe and teach that salvation is a gift of God available to all men who will but believe.

Salvation is not received by predestination as you say.

While it is certainly true that only those predestined to believe and elected to be the recipients of His grace will believe and be saved through faith - neither predestination nor election saves anyone - only a personal faith.
According to Calvinism the gift of God's salvation is not available to all men because the atonement, according to Calvinism, is LIMITED only to those God predestines to regenerate and causes to believe by Irresistible grace.
Salvation must be received by predestination according to Calvinism and what you stated above, because no one can believe or have faith for salvation unless they are predestined and called by irresistible grace first. So the gospel according to Calvinism is logically and in reality, salvation by predestination according to the theology of Calvinism...T.U.L.I.P.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
then according to Calvinism "faith" will never occur.

How did you read that out of what I said? Faith can only arise through the grace of God. The alternative is a heresy called Pelagianism. Calvinism merely takes that fact to its logical conclusion, whereas Arminianism tries to dodge it.

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It is hard to support a claim that the Bible is 'crystal clear' on any issue where the church is divided about 50/50, and even harder to assert it without giving any scripture reference for it.
For topics like this, it is good to start from the point at which most Christians would agree.
The church is pretty much in agreement that Jesus said,

“No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him” John 6:44

I don’t believe there is any kind of split as to believing the truth of that particular statement, let alone a 50/50 split.

Whether a particular person in the church will receive the implications of the statement is another matter. Obviously a good percentage will not.
Calvinism, for example, goes beyond these agreed upon points about the depravity of man to claim that man is so tainted by sin that he cannot even accept the offer of Christ’s salvation and receive Christ's deliverance from sin (contrary to scripture, which asks us to receive the message and believe: Rom 10:9-13, John 3:14-21, Luke 11:5-13, Heb 11:13-16, Gal 3:24, Deut 30:11-14, etc, and makes no claim that this is something man cannot do).
Calvinists simply quote what the scriptures clearly say about the inability of fallen men. These scriptures do indeed make the claim that truly understanding salvation and taking the salvation message to heart is something fallen men cannot do without help from on high.

“there is no one who understands; there is no one who seeks God.” Romans 3:11

“..a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.”. 1 Corinthians 2:14

I’m sure that we would both agree that many do not accept what is taught in these and other “crystal clear” statements from God on the matter. There is a big difference between saying that many do not receive the sayings of God and claiming that God didn’t say those things in the scriptures.

Also the fact that God asks, or more correctly commands, all men to receive the message and believe does not speak to their ability to do so (being under a curse of abandonment to falsehood as they are according to the Book of Romans). The other verses which I have cited speak to that.
Because they take this philosophical stance, most Calvinists hold that something else needs to happen for a select few to have faith: ............The Bible is not 'crystal clear' that any of these variant theories are true.
Because they accept what the scriptures clearly say, Calvinists hold that something else needs to happen for a select few cursed men to have faith. As usual they appeal to the scriptures to illustrate how it works in various ways. They do, however vary as to exactly how such invisible and inscrutable happenings actually work. While some insist on the term “regeneration”, some are more content with simply referring to God’s drawing men to Himself and opening the eyes of some even though they do not deserve such treatment and obviously do not seek God etc.

Although I reject the title of Calvinist – you could count me in the group people who think that way. We point to Lydia’s opened heart, Peter’s confession which was revealed by the Father to Him, and the enlightenment of the evil, unseeking, and undeserving Saul (Paul) among many others illustrations, my own case included, as support for the doctrine,

While these example would not in and of themselves prove adequate to establish these doctrines, they do make the truth of the doctrines obvious IMO when bundled with the crystal clear statements acknowledged before considering them.
The term 'special calling' is not used in scripture.
The doctrine of special calling, over against general calling, is logically inescapable – when one believes what is said above and when they consider what is taught in the so called golden chain of salvation found in Romans 8.

According to that passage – all those God calls in a certain way will be justified. We know that all men called in the general call will not be justified (many are called but few are chosen). All will not exercise saving faith and be justified.

It is necessary therefore to state that there is a difference between the general call issued to all men and the special or effectual call issued to those predestined to be conformed to the image of God’s Son as seen in the scriptures. All good systematic theologies have agreed on that doctrine since thorough systematic theologies have been written for the church (based on scripture only)
What scripture does say is that Christ came into the world to 'enlighten every man,' that God revealing salvation through Christ is an act of grace, that Jesus draws all things (including all people) to Himself via His death, that the Holy Spirit convicts the world of sin, etc. All these things are acts of grace that man might turn from his sin and to Jesus in faith, so that he might be saved.

Here are just a few of the many specific acts of grace that God has given to all men:

Grace is Christ; the gift of God; God revealed. (Heb 1:3, I Cor 1:4-5, John 4:10)
Grace is Jesus coming to enlighten every man (Jn 1:9)
Grace is salvation offered to all people in Christ: (Titus 2:11, John 12:3-33, Matt 4:12-17, Psalm 67:1-3)
Grace is salvation granted through faith (Eph 2:8-10, Rom 5:1-2, Joel 2:32), not by works of law.
Grace is Christ delivered to death that we might live: (Rom 4:25, Gal 2:20-21, Rom 5:6-8)
Grace is the conviction of the Holy Spirit in regards to sin and righteousness and judgement: (Jn 16:8)
Grace is the preaching of the gospel throughout the nations that some might hear and believe (Rom 10)
Grace is Jesus drawing all things to Himself by His death, that we might come to Him (Jn 12:32)
Grace is Jesus opening the door to any who seek Him
Etc.
Fully agreed to. Therefore men are without excuse.
And further graces are given to believers:
Grace is the gift of justification; being declared righteous; through Christ: (Rom 5:12-19)
Grace is pardon from God's wrath, and reconciliation with God: (Rom 5:6-11)
Grace is eternal life granted to those who believe: (John 3:16-17, Rom 6:23, John 1:1-3)
Grace is the Holy Spirit dwelling with us: (Acts 19:2, Eph 4:30, I Cor 6:19)
Grace is our transformation as a New Creation, growing up into the headship of Christ: (Gal 6:16, II Cor 5:17, Col 3:5-11)
Grace is our adoption as sons: (Gal 4:4-6, Rom 8:15))
Etc.
We merit none of those graces. The promises God gives to believers for later fulfillment are His guarantee out of grace that He will make good on His Word - not because we merit it, but because it is the covenant He made in His wisdom and righteousness.
I fully agree.
That there are men who refuse to do this because they love their own sin or refuse to come into the light doesn't mean they weren't given the grace to do so. Christ fulfilled and gave everything necessary for our salvation by His death.
I agree. Fallen men will not come to Him that they may have life. Men are without excuse.

The thing that makes it clear that men need additional grace other than the work at the cross and the general call isn’t the statements which say that they refuse to come to the light - it is God’s crystal clear statements on the subject of the need for additional grace.
It's a huge difference between believing, as scripture teaches, that God is sovereign over all Creation and believing that God specifically picks and chooses everything that happens. (An idea which God specifically rejects in passages such as Jer 19:5, Jer 32:35, James 1:13, etc.)
Calvinists do not teach that God specifically authors every event which happens. They teach that God decides which things He will allow to happen while emphatically saying that His predestination of everything which happens in no way infringes on the wills of men and angels.
Nor does accepting what the Bible teaches on God's sovereignty and predestination mean that one must logically accept what Calvinism or other theories of man interpret those terms to mean.
I completely agree. This is why I feel not only free but obligated to accept only those things in Calvinism and, for instance, Arminianism which are supported by scripture.
Other tasks he might delegate to angels or men, who He created with the capacity (though not permission) to disobey, although they too are bounded by the limits of their nature and capabilities. While God often defers judgment when we disobey, that doesn't mean He allows our disobedience or caused it.
I fully agree – as does the so called “Calvinistic” Westminster Confession of Faith. God works through “means” to bring to past what He has predestined to take place. Some of those secondary means are the so called “free” choices of men.
Just as someone disobeying a king will face judgement for breaking the law, so will humans unless we take the offered pardon (faith in Christ, where God applies Jesus' righteousness to us.)
I totally agree.
The last sentence was "receiving salvation? Is it faith or predestination?" That's not a false dichotomy, since scripture gives the answer:
Scripture says we receive salvation through faith. (Rom 3:25, Jn 3:16, Gal 3:2-5, Eph 2:8, etc.) Even Eph 1:1-15 clarifies that salvation is through hearing the gospel and believing and never says we are saved through being predestined.
Salvation is by grace through faith. The grace is our election and enlightenment which was predestined to occur in the lives of believers from before the foundation of the world. The faith is our personal apprehension of the demands of the gospel message which was made possible to cursed men by that grace.
Faith is made possible by grace as God predestined. Specifically, though, God predestined believers to be adopted as sons into His kingdom, and to be Holy and blameless, etc. since before time began. (Eph 1:1-15)
Complete agree with this.
He didn't predestine some to become believers and some not.
He predestined everything which occurs in His creation to so occur. Belief in His omniscience demands that we believe that doctrine.

God knew from the beginning everything which would happen if He acted in certain ways in the beginning and in innumerable ways ongoing throughout history. There was no chance that, if He acted in those specific ways, what He knew would happen as a result would not happen.

Those events were predestined to happen from the split second, as it were, that He decreed that He would so act.

He chose to so act in those certain ways out of His wise and unfettered will. In so choosing to act – He was predestining everything which surely would follow those actions,

Those things include mundane things which are not directly pertaining to the will of men and they include things which come about because of the choices made out of the wills of men (who are created in His image and able to make meaningful choices).

How God could hold men, who have their very being in Him and who’s actions are destined by God to occur, responsible for their choices if He is sovereign in the way the scriptures show Him is admittedly a bit of a mystery. But we can’t just duck that mystery by showing Him to be less the sovereign God than the scriptures clearly tell us He is.

P.S.
I'm sure you'll agree that these posts get very long and unwieldy and it would be better to shorten them up.

It's not that I can't support or argue every single point tit for tat. It's just that I don't want to.

I don't have the time or, to be more precise, I don't have the inclination to.

If you want to respond to this entire post point for point go ahead. You can have the last word on certain points for what it's worth.

But just be expecting that I will likely take a single concept and respond to it with a paragraph or three in an effort to shorten things up.

I do value your opinion and there is really nothing that I like to do more than discuss theology. But I just don't have the great blocks of time that are necessary to address every point in the way they deserve.

That may well be the case for you as well.

OK? :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
According to Calvinism the gift of God's salvation is not available to all men because the atonement, according to Calvinism, is LIMITED only to those God predestines to regenerate and causes to believe by Irresistible grace.
I specifically said that it was available to "all men who would but believe".

But I do agree with the point that so called "limited atonement" as usually taught makes a mockery of this great Biblical truth.

I try to shun the title of "Calvinist" and I am certainly am not a proponent of "limited atonement" as often taught by so called Calvinists.

I say, "so called" because Calvin Himself taught against limited atonement as often taught currently - not that what Calvin believed or didn't believe impacts my theology a great deal. :)
Salvation must be received by predestination according to Calvinism and what you stated above,
No - salvation is received by faith.
......... no one can believe or have faith for salvation unless they are predestined and called by irresistible grace first.
That is an absolutely scripturally supported statement.
So the gospel according to Calvinism is logically and in reality, salvation by predestination according to the theology of Calvinism...T.U.L.I.P.
No - the gospel in Calvinism is salvation through faith by believing on Jesus as one's personal Savor just as it is in most Protestant theologies.

The mechanism for undeserving and incapacitated sinners to be able to exercise that saving faith is indeed the election and enlightenment of some just as predestined by the decree of God to occur.

But as I have said before - John Calvin and I would both agree that the doctrine of limited atonement as currently taught by many and perhaps most self identified Calvinists makes a mocker of the concept that salvation could ever be received by those who were not elected. This - because their sins have not been atoned for by Jesus Christ and His sacrifice according to that doctrine.

It's exceedingly hard to defend even the correct teachings of Calvinists when such an egregious teaching is generally identified with Calvinism across the board.

But as I see it people who oppose Calvinism do need to be corrected whenever they incorrectly represent other more biblical doctrines of Calvinism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jennifer Rothnie

Jan 10, 2017
Washington
✟45,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How did you read that out of what I said? Faith can only arise through the grace of God. The alternative is a heresy called Pelagianism. Calvinism merely takes that fact to its logical conclusion, whereas Arminianism tries to dodge it.

All Christians, Calvinist or not, believe that the offer of salvation is by grace, the opportunity for us to hear the gospel is by grace, that Jesus dying for us is an act of grace, that the Holy Spirit's conviction of sin is t of grace, etc.

The difference is that Calvinists believe some form of 'further grace' beyond all the graces God has given all men is needed, despite scripture never saying such a thing.

Not holding to the Calvinist theories on the subject is hardly Pelagianism or semi-pelagianism! That is a false dichotomy. Please support your beliefs with scripture, not philosophy or assumption or false equivalents.

Pelagianism is the 5th century teaching (which hardly anyone holds today) that man could merit salvation via his own works.
What are Pelagianism and Semi-Pelagianism?

Please explain why you believe faith is equivalent to a dead work of man, when Scripture specifically contrasts the two.

"But Israel, who pursued a law of righteousness, has not attained it. 32Why not? Because their pursuit was notby faith, but as if it were by works. They stumbled over the stumbling stone, " Rom 9:31-32

"We who are Jews by birth and not Gentile ‘sinners’ 16know that a man is not justified by works of the Law, butby faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have believed in ChristJesus, that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the Law, because by works of the Law no one will be justified. " Gal 2:15-16

Reactions: RisenInJesus
Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I wish to point out that the OP is not about Calvinism.

It is about whether there is an irreconcilable rift between believing in salvation through faith vs. believing in predestination. There is not IMO.

I hate to see the thread hijacked away from the OP and end up being just another bash and defense of Calvinism thread.

Calvinism is neither opposed to salvation by faith and neither is Calvinism synonymous with predestination.

Likewise predestination is not synonymous with election. The two doctrines are somewhat related as are all biblical doctrines. But they are not the same doctrine.

This thread is not about salvation through faith vs. Calvinism.

It is about whether there is a conflict between the doctrine of salvation through faith and the doctrine of predestination. There is not IMO.

But that is what the discussion should be about should it not?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I wish to point out that the OP is not about Calvinism.

It is about whether there is an irreconcilable rift between believing in salvation through faith vs. believing in predestination. There is not IMO.

You are right. There isn't.

Upvote 0

2tim_215

Site Supporter
Sep 9, 2017
New York
✟105,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is hard to support a claim that the Bible is 'crystal clear' on any issue where the church is divided about 50/50, and even harder to assert it without giving any scripture reference for it.

For topics like this, it is good to start from the point at which most Christians would agree.

For example, most Christians would agree that man cannot earn salvation or merit it via good works (Rom 3:20.) Most would agree that our flesh was corrupted by sin at the fall; that sin corrupts every aspect of our being, such as flesh, heart, mind, etc, (Mark 7:21-23). We'd agree that all men sin (Rom 3:10-23), and we'd agree that man cannot save himself (Psalm 60:10-12, Is 63:5-6).

We would also agree that man, of his own volition, would not have been able to achieve salvation nor come up with the idea of needing to have faith in Christ on His own.

Yet here is where many theories depart from each other.

Calvinism, for example, goes beyond these agreed upon points about the depravity of man to claim that man is so tainted by sin that he cannot even accept the offer of Christ’s salvation and receive Christ's deliverance from sin (contrary to scripture, which asks us to receive the message and believe: Rom 10:9-13, John 3:14-21, Luke 11:5-13, Heb 11:13-16, Gal 3:24, Deut 30:11-14, etc, and makes no claim that this is something man cannot do).

Because they take this philosophical stance, most Calvinists hold that something else needs to happen for a select few to have faith: Some believe it is spiritual regeneration that must occur *before* one believes to allow the person to believe (contrary to scripture which states we receive the Holy Spirit after we believe, not before: Gal 3:2-3, Gal 3:10-14, Eph 1:11-14, II Cor 5:17, etc). Others hold that Jesus just grants a select few faith (a misinterpretation of Eph 2:8 - see What does it mean that it is by grace we have been saved, through faith, and that this is not of ourselves but is the gift of God?). Still others take the view that the Holy Spirit overwhelms a select few, basically convincing them by sight so they can't possibly doubt.

The Bible is not 'crystal clear' that any of these variant theories are true. The term 'special calling' is not used in scripture.

What scripture does say is that Christ came into the world to 'enlighten every man,' that God revealing salvation through Christ is an act of grace, that Jesus draws all things (including all people) to Himself via His death, that the Holy Spirit convicts the world of sin, etc. All these things are acts of grace that man might turn from his sin and to Jesus in faith, so that he might be saved.

Here are just a few of the many specific acts of grace that God has given to all men:

Grace is Christ; the gift of God; God revealed. (Heb 1:3, I Cor 1:4-5, John 4:10)
Grace is Jesus coming to enlighten every man (Jn 1:9)
Grace is salvation offered to all people in Christ: (Titus 2:11, John 12:3-33, Matt 4:12-17, Psalm 67:1-3)
Grace is salvation granted through faith (Eph 2:8-10, Rom 5:1-2, Joel 2:32), not by works of law.
Grace is Christ delivered to death that we might live: (Rom 4:25, Gal 2:20-21, Rom 5:6-8)
Grace is the conviction of the Holy Spirit in regards to sin and righteousness and judgement: (Jn 16:8)
Grace is the preaching of the gospel throughout the nations that some might hear and believe (Rom 10)
Grace is Jesus drawing all things to Himself by His death, that we might come to Him (Jn 12:32)
Grace is Jesus opening the door to any who seek Him
Etc.

And further graces are given to believers:

Grace is the gift of justification; being declared righteous; through Christ: (Rom 5:12-19)
Grace is pardon from God's wrath, and reconciliation with God: (Rom 5:6-11)
Grace is eternal life granted to those who believe: (John 3:16-17, Rom 6:23, John 1:1-3)
Grace is the Holy Spirit dwelling with us: (Acts 19:2, Eph 4:30, I Cor 6:19)
Grace is our transformation as a New Creation, growing up into the headship of Christ: (Gal 6:16, II Cor 5:17, Col 3:5-11)
Grace is our adoption as sons: (Gal 4:4-6, Rom 8:15))
Etc.

We merit none of those graces. The promises God gives to believers for later fulfillment are His guarantee out of grace that He will make good on His Word - not because we merit it, but because it is the covenant He made in His wisdom and righteousness.