Dallas
✟9,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Eternal life is God's life in one's spirit by the rebirth. . .it is not lost, and one is not reborn again and again.

The reborn are justified = not guilty, not subject to God's punishment on sin at the Final Judgment.

They are not reborn and re-justified every time they sin.

Those who apostasize had counterfeit faith to begin with, "they were not (never) one of us (the redeemed)" (1Jn 2:19)

Christian baptism is the initiation into the new covenant body of Christ to be in union with the mediator and communion with God and His saints

Upvote 0

Freedm

Sep 27, 2020
Austin TX
✟40,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I differ with you on your volition aspect of faith. In order to choose to believe, you must already believe. Think about it:

For you to able to choose to believe in Christ (or continue to believe), this requires you to already believe in these:
1. That God is, and rewards those who seek Him
2. That you are a sinner in need of a savior
3. That there is hope in following Christ and obeying Him
4. That the gospel preached to you is true
5. That God knows what you need, and you don't

This is not an exhaustive list. Believing in the gospel of Christ is not some switch that one turns on by volition, or some choice one makes like which brand to buy. Believing in Christ is far more complex, requiring underlying beliefs that arise out of the core of the human heart. It's a spiritual matter, requiring the help of the Holy Spirit, and not a product of mere natural reasoning.
Ya, I would go even one step further. One can not "choose" to believe anything. You just either believe it or you don't. It's a matter of being convinced that something is true, and one can not choose to be convinced.

Upvote 0

Freedm

Sep 27, 2020
Austin TX
✟40,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
"Today you will be with Me in paradise" - a prophecy of a future event which happened after His death, so the thief's situation applies after all.

Think about this: if someone has the opportunity to be baptized, but refuses, then for what reason are they refusing? Is it because they have fear of water? Perhaps no desire to obey Christ after all? Maybe a hostile attitude toward all traditions? Or they think they can do it later? What if they believe they aren't worthy of it yet? Who is to say? Only God can judge the motives of people.

I've known people who were saved and filled with the Spirit and showed spiritual growth without being baptized. Some of them got baptized later. So, based on my reading of the wider context of the NT, simple reasoning, and experience, I'd say that baptism is not necessary for salvation. This doesn't mean I recommend anyone to refuse baptism, or condone its absence from ministry.

On the other hand, those who teach that baptism is necessary for salvation tend to be legalistic in their teaching and practice, according to my experience.
Baptism is 100% not necessary for salvation, and in fact the only reason Jesus was baptized in water was so that he would be eligible for rabbinical service and to preach in the synagogue. That's why John was incredulous at his desire to be baptized but Jesus said "let it be so for now". We on the other hand do not need water baptism, but spiritual baptism which we receive when we accept Jesus as the truth.

Furthermore, we don't need to obey Jesus' words for salvation, we only need to accept them as truth. Jesus himself said that if you believe, but you do not obey, you will not be judged because you are saved. Only those who do not believe, are judged by Jesus' words.

1 John 12:47-48
If anyone hears My teachings and does not keep them, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world. 48 The one who rejects Me and does not accept My teachings has one who judges him: the word which I spoke. That will judge him on the last day.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Baptism is 100% not necessary for salvation, and in fact the only reason Jesus was baptized in water was so that he would be eligible for rabbinical service and to preach in the synagogue. That's why John was incredulous at his desire to be baptized but Jesus said "let it be so for now". We on the other hand do not need water baptism, but spiritual baptism which we receive when we accept Jesus as the truth.

Furthermore, we don't need to obey Jesus' words for salvation, we only need to accept them as truth. Jesus himself said that if you believe, but you do not obey, you will not be judged because you are saved. Only those who do not believe, are judged by Jesus' words.

If anyone hears My teachings and does not keep them, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world. 48 The one who rejects Me and does not accept My teachings has one who judges him: the word which I spoke. That will judge him on the last day.

I am not sure how John 12:48 helps you. It actually teaches the exact opposite of what you are saying.
He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

A person who does not receive Jesus' words does not mean they just accept those words as true and yet they do not obey them. Jesus said in Matthew 7:26-27 that everyone who does not do what He says is like a fool who built his house upon the sand and when a storm came, great was the fall of that house. Jesus said why do you call me, 'Lord Lord' and do not what I say? (Luke 6:46).

We see in John 8:47 about how Jesus told the Jews that he that is of God hears God's words. This was in reference to obeying God's words because Jesus condemned the Jews for doing the lusts of their father the devil. John 5:29 says that there is a resurrection for those who do good, and there is a resurrection for those who do evil.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jn 3:16 believes?

Is faith also partly works?
Since it involves volition?
You must choose to believe?
And continue in belief until death? Matt 24:13

Unlike Protestants, I believe faith and works (the work of faith) both save.
So yes. I believe John 3:16 is referring to a belief in Jesus as the Savior and seeking forgiveness with Him, and believing the gospel in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. This is Intial Salvation (or Justification). Then we continue in God's plan of salvation via the Sanctification Process (living holy, putting away sin, and doing good works by God doing the good work through us). This then leads to Glorification (Which is God taking the believer home into His kingdom).

However, I also believe that when John 3:16 says to “believes in Him (the Son),” it refers more than just the first step of taking faith towards the Lord but it is a continued belief in what Jesus said by doing what He says. This is faith in action. For faith and works are two sides of the same coin. Paul referred to the “work of faith” in 1 Thessalonians 1:3, and 2 Thessalonians 1:11.

I would rephrase things differently than you.

I see it as being called:

#1. The Provisional Atonement (and not Redemption).
#2. Justification.
#3. Sanctification.
#4. Glorification (and not salvation).

For the reason why Jesus gave Himself for us was to redeem us from all iniquity (Titus 2:14); And we can have an assurance of salvation in the present tense right now. For 1 John 5:13 says, “These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.”

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I do agree with you that water baptism is not necessary for salvation. But I believe that being baptized into the body of Christ by the Spirit according to 1 Corinthians 12:13 is necessary for salvation. This is accomplished by receiving Jesus Christ as one's Savior, seeking forgiveness of one's sins with Him, and believing in the gospel according to 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. For a person will receive the Holy Spirit after they receive Jesus as their Savior and after they are saved by His grace. Every true born again believer has been baptized into the Spirit. This is necessary for salvation. A believer who does not have the Spirit does not have the downpayment of the inheritance.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Eph 2 refers to redemption not salvation

Redemption, Justification, Sanctification, and Salvation!

Redemption: 100 percent the work of God, thru the life, death, resurrection, and ascension of Jesus Christ! All mankind are redeemed in Christ! Eph 2
Galatians 2:16 3:13
Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law...

Justification: our acceptance of redemption thru faith and baptism! Become a disciple and member of Christ and His Church! Jn 3:5 acts 2:38 Mk 16:16 He who believes and is baptized shall be saved. 1 Corinthians 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Sanctification: the life of grace in the holy sacrifice of the mass and sacraments, prayer, virture, and good works, the just living by faith, and faith working thru love! Phil 1:29 called to suffer with Christ.
All done in Christ thru His grace! Jn 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Salvation: a christian in the state if grace at the moment of death we enter into the salvation of the Lord! Mt 24:44-47 faithful servant! Jn 15:1-5 abide in me. Mt 24:13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
Heb 4:14 For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;
Rom 13:11 ...for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.
Then Once saved always saved!

1 Pet 3:20
Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us!
(Ark of Noah a type of the church, member of Christ and his church and salvation by baptism!)
(Outside the ark all died and outside the church there is no salvation!

When I read the Scriptures, I also see 4 different aspects of salvation described.

#1. Provisional Atonement (not "Limited Atonement").
(A 100% Work of God alone that can only be applied personally to an individual's life via by Justification and Sanctification).
This is Jesus paying the price for the sins of the entire world so as to offer mankind the free gift of salvation (if they so choose to accept it); Note: Christ's resurrection (to give us a new body not tainted by sin one day), and the ascension to the Father (after Christ telling Mary not to touch Him), and his entering the holy temple by his blood (to be our Heavenly High Priest) is also included in the Provisional Atonement, too. (For Provisional Atonement verses, see: John 1:29, 1 John 2:2, 1 Timothy 2:6, 2 Corinthians 5:19, Romans 5:6-8.).

#2. Justification (Initial Salvation, and or Foundational Salvation).
(The 1st synergistic work of GOD done in a believer).
Justification is the entrance gate to salvation, and it is the foundation of our salvation (by faith) upon which we stand. Justification is believing the gospel (Which is the power of God unto salvation to everyone who believes it - Romans 1:16). According to 1 Corinthians 15:1-4: The gospel is you believing that Jesus Christ died for your sins, He was buried, and He had risen again three days later for your salvation (Note: Do not let anyone sell you on another gospel besides this one). Depending on a person’s access or exposure to the Word: Justification will also generally include receiving Jesus as your Savior (John 1:12), and calling upon the name of the Lord (i.e. confessing with your mouth the words: “Lord Jesus” or similar equivalent - Romans 10:9) as a part of seeking forgiveness of your sins with Him by way of prayer (Romans 10:13) (Luke 15:18-21) (Luke 18:9-14). This process of salvation is without the deeds of the Law or works because it is based upon God’s mercy and grace and His redemptive work. As a result: One is born again spiritually (Note: Born again by the Spirit, and born again by water (i.e. the Scriptures - Romans 10:17, 1 Peter 1:23)). A person is foundationally or ultimately saved by God’s grace because if they happen to sin on rare occasion in their Christian walk, they do not do a good work to absolve that sin, but they confess of their sins to Jesus in order to be forgiven of that sin (1 John 1:9) (1 John 2:1) (Hebrews 4:16) (For Justification verses, see: Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 4:1-6, Titus 3:4-7, 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, Luke 18:9-14, Romans 5:1-2).

#3. Sanctification (The Next Step or Phase in the Salvation Process).
(The 2nd synergistic work of God done in a believer).
Sanctification is the next step or phase in Salvation for a believer who lives out their faith; This is the work of God moving in a believer's life so as to help them to live holy, and to do good works and to put away the lusts of the flesh. These good works are the works of God done through the believer, and so all boasting or praise is given to the Lord. Therefore, there is no boasting in one's own work because they are ultimately the works of God done through the believer. A believer today who obeys the Lord looks to the commands of Jesus and His followers within the New Testament primarily. For believers today are not under the 613 Laws of Moses as a whole package deal (even though certain laws have carried over into the New Testament). Basically all ceremonial laws and judicial laws in the Old Testament no longer apply. For example: Believers do not have to keep the Saturday Sabbath, circumcision, dietary laws, animal sacrifices, holy days, etc.; However, believers must keep God's Moral Laws like: Do not murder, do not steal, do not covet, do not lie, do commit adultery, etc.; Two of the greatest commands that we should focus on daily is to love God and love our neighbor which is more fully described in Mark 12:29-31. We need to worship or adore the Lord our God, preach the gospel, help the poor, love the brethren, love our enemies, and live holy lives, etc. (For Sanctification verses, see: James 2:24, James 2:17-18, Titus 1:16, Hebrews 5:9, 2 Thessalonians 2:13, Hebrews 12:14, Romans 8:1 (KJV), 1 Corinthians 16:22, Romans 8:13, etc.).

#4. Glorification (The Future Salvation of the Truly Faithful Believer).
(A 100% Work of God alone that can only be applied personally to an individual's life via by Justification and Sanctification).
Glorification is when God takes the believer home to be with Him in His kingdom and He gives Him a new resurrected body that is not tainted by sin. This process of salvation (in being taken home) is a by product automatically for those believers who properly applied Justification and Sanctification to their lives (For Glorification verses, see: 1 Peter 5:4, 1 Peter 1:4, 1 Corinthians 15:51-57, 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17, Romans 13:11, Philippians 3:20-21, Hebrews 9:28).

Conclusion:

Justification, and then Sanctification is what we as believers need to be focused on. For if we are justified, and sanctified (which is only made possible by the Provisional Atonement), then we will be glorified.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Today you will be with Me in paradise" - a prophecy of a future event which happened after His death, so the thief's situation applies after all.

Think about this: if someone has the opportunity to be baptized, but refuses, then for what reason are they refusing? Is it because they have fear of water? Perhaps no desire to obey Christ after all? Maybe a hostile attitude toward all traditions? Or they think they can do it later? What if they believe they aren't worthy of it yet? Who is to say? Only God can judge the motives of people.

I've known people who were saved and filled with the Spirit and showed spiritual growth without being baptized. Some of them got baptized later. So, based on my reading of the wider context of the NT, simple reasoning, and experience, I'd say that baptism is not necessary for salvation. This doesn't mean I recommend anyone to refuse baptism, or condone its absence from ministry.

On the other hand, those who teach that baptism is necessary for salvation tend to be legalistic in their teaching and practice, according to my experience.

There is not a one salvation fits all package. Babies who are aborted go to be with the Lord. Yet, they did not have faith and yet they are saved without faith. The thief did not need works to be saved because he was not given that opportunity, just as a baby who is aborted is not given the opportunity to have faith in Jesus. Jesus says to whom much is given, much is required.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The church and the seven sacraments are necessary for salvation

I don't see the Catholic sacraments as a part of salvation. In fact, besides the faith + works issue, and the Trinity, I do not see Catholicism as remotedly biblical. We are not to call any man our father. We are now to bow down and or kiss idols. We are not to pray to anyone but God. The Lord's supper is only done in remembrance of the Lord and the elements do not actually physically change. We are all kings and priests. Jesus told us to beward of those who love to go about in long flowing robes. Forbidding to marry is also mentioned in unision of something not good according to the Bible, as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Jn 3:16 believes?

Is faith also partly works?
No.

Since it involves volition?
That's not what "works" means, in a Christian theological sense. Just because some action "takes work" or requires a person to move, does not make it a "good work." Yet I have encountered people who actually argued that being baptized was a "work" because you have to get yourself over to the church for the event, and that takes some effort. :doh:It's a common misunderstanding.

You must choose to believe?
Not necessarily. There is Christian thought which insists that it's impossible to come to Faith unless God grants it.

And continue in belief until death? Matt 24:13
...and, by the same token, it is believed by some Christian churches that this is assured (although more disagree with that POV).

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There is not a one salvation fits all package. Babies who are aborted go to be with the Lord. Yet, they did not have faith and yet they are saved without faith. The thief did not need works to be saved because he was not given that opportunity, just as a baby who is aborted is not given the opportunity to have faith in Jesus. Jesus says to whom much is given, much is required.
So are you of the opinion that faith plus works results in salvation is a good formula? If so, what do you do with Rom. 3:28?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So are you of the opinion that faith plus works results in salvation is a good formula? If so, what do you do with Rom. 3:28?
Romans 3:28 says,
“Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.”

In this verse: Paul is referring to the Law of Moses or the 613 (See Romans 3:1). For Paul was fighting against the false idea that circumcision was a means of salvation (See: Galatians 2:3, Galatians 5:2, Acts of the Apostles 15:1, Acts of the Apostles 15:5, and Acts of the Apostles 15:24). For if a person thought they had to first be circumcised in order to be saved, then they would be making the Law of Moses or the works of the Law of Moses (the Old Law) the basis or foundation of their salvation instead of first receiving Christ as one’s Savior. Paul is not referring to the “work of faith” in 1 Thessalonians 1:3 and 2 Thessalonians 1:11 (after we are saved by God’s grace through faith). Paul is not referring to commands that come from Jesus and His followers.

Side Note:

Paul is also referring to the how we need to first be saved in the 1st aspect of salvation (Being saved by grace) and he is not referring to the 2nd aspect of salvation (Sanctification). Being justified by faith would include the work of faith that follows. We are not justified by the deeds of the 613 Laws of Moses as a whole or package deal. Yes, certain laws have been repeated in the New Testament (or New Covenant), but we are not under the entire contract of the 613 laws of Moses. That contract was given to Israel and it was not given to the church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Romans 3:28 says,
“Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.”

In this verse: Paul is referring to the Law of Moses or the 613 (See Romans 3:1). For Paul was fighting against the false idea that circumcision was a means of salvation (See: Galatians 2:3, Galatians 5:2, Acts of the Apostles 15:1, Acts of the Apostles 15:5, and Acts of the Apostles 15:24). For if a person thought they had to first be circumcised in order to be saved, then they would be making the Law of Moses or the works of the Law of Moses (the Old Law) the basis or foundation of their salvation instead of first receiving Christ as one’s Savior. Paul is not referring to the “work of faith” in 1 Thessalonians 1:3 and 2 Thessalonians 1:11 (after we are saved by God’s grace through faith). Paul is not referring to commands that come from Jesus and His followers.

Side Note:

Paul is also referring to the how we need to first be saved in the 1st aspect of salvation (Being saved by grace) and he is not referring to the 2nd aspect of salvation (Sanctification). Being justified by faith would include the work of faith that follows. We are not justified by the deeds of the 613 Laws of Moses as a whole or package deal. Yes, certain laws have been repeated in the New Testament (or New Covenant), but we are not under the entire contract of the 613 laws of Moses. That contract was given to Israel and it was not given to the church.
So then, are you saying that faith in Jesus PLUS works of the NT laws results in justification? (that is, not by Biblical faith in Jesus by itself?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So then, are you saying that faith in Jesus PLUS works of the NT laws results in justification? (that is, not by Biblical faith in Jesus by itself?

Actually biblical faith is a faith that has the “work of faith” that Paul talks about in 1 Thessalonians 1:3, and 2 Thessalonians 1:11. We consistently see in Hebrews 11 an expression of faith by the work of faith.

James 2:24 says,
“Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.”

What do you think James 2:24 says?

For faith without works is dead (James 2:17).
How can a dead faith save you?
Are we not saved by God's grace through faith?
Do not even the demons believe and tremble? (James 2:19).
In fact, it should concern you that James mocks the idea of belief alone-ism and he relates it to the faith of demons. So belief alone-ism is not true biblical faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Also, what do you make of Acts of the Apostles 15:1, Acts of the Apostles 15:5, Acts of the Apostles 15:24, Galatians 2:3, Galatians 5:2, and Romans 3:1? Do you just sweep these verses under the rug? How exactly do you understand these verses?

Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is believing Faith a work ?

The answer is absolutely yes. If we agree with the overall definition of work according to the greek word for work ergon:

See strongs # 2041:
  1. business, employment, that which any one is occupied
    1. that which one undertakes to do, enterprise, undertaking
  2. any product whatever, any thing accomplished by hand, art, industry, or mind

3. an act, deed, thing done: the idea of working is emphasised in opp. to that which is less than work

A work is anything done, accomplished by #1 hand, #2 art, #3 industry, #4 or MIND

The mind is :
    (in a human or other conscious being) the element, part, substance, or process that reasons, thinks, feels, wills, perceives, judges, etc.

Psychology. the totality of conscious and unconscious mental processes and activities.

So believing something via the mental activity and process of reasoning is work. The process of decision making is a activity, work of the mind.

Now for instance, the sin of hatred Gal 5:19-20
    Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

How is that sin committed ? It starts in the mind or heart ! Yet in Vs 19 its stated as an work of the flesh

So activity in and with the mind/heart is a work, this cannot be denied..

Now believing is either a work of the flesh [unregenerate] or of the Spirit [ regenerated]

But now Salvation is not by works, Neither by works of the flesh or works of the Spirit.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Actually biblical faith is a faith that has the “work of faith” that Paul talks about in 1 Thessalonians 1:3, and 2 Thessalonians 1:11. We consistently see in Hebrews 11 an expression of faith by the work of faith.

James 2:24 says,
“Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.”

What do you think James 2:24 says?

For faith without works is dead (James 2:17).
How can a dead faith save you?
Are we not saved by God's grace through faith?
Do not even the demons believe and tremble? (James 2:19).
In fact, it should concern you that James mocks the idea of belief alone-ism and he relates it to the faith of demons. So belief alone-ism is not true biblical faith.
"Work of faith" means a work that is based on faith in God. I'm not sure what your point is, but I disagree with you about James 2:24. James is saying that justification is proven by works, which is different than Paul's statement in Rom. 3:28. Paul is saying that faith by itself justifies a person before God. God doesn't need a man to do works to see his faith, but a man does need to see works to show he is justified. That's the difference.

So, Paul is talking about a different faith than James is talking about. Paul's "faith" that results in justification is genuine, but James' "faith" that doesn't justify by itself is fake, because he is talking about people who claim to be followers of Christ but don't do what He said.

But you didn't answer my question: what do you do with Rom. 3:28?

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Also, what do you make of Acts of the Apostles 15:1, Acts of the Apostles 15:5, Acts of the Apostles 15:24, Galatians 2:3, Galatians 5:2, and Romans 3:1? Do you just sweep these verses under the rug? How exactly do you understand these verses?
When Paul says a man is justified by faith apart from works of the law, he isn't limiting "law" to circumcision. The Jews commonly included the entire law, including the 10 commandments, since the law is based on it. Therefore "law" includes all the moral commands. Those verses you cited are simply one example of Judaizers trying to put the burden of laws and customs on the gentiles. When they tried to compel gentiles to be circumcised, they were saying that men must be circumcised, or else they won't be justified.

It's the same today, except they use other "laws" like baptism, sabbath day, and other modern rules. But the most deceptive thing is to use the "10 Commandments" as a similar requirement for justification, and this is a common problem among Christians today. Rom. 3:28 means that a person is justified before God solely on account of his faith in Christ, without having to perform any one of the "10 Commandments." If that person's faith is genuine, God cleans his conscience and he begins living his life with love for God and others. Agree?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Work of faith" means a work that is based on faith in God. I'm not sure what your point is, but I disagree with you about James 2:24. James is saying that justification is proven by works, which is different than Paul's statement in Rom. 3:28. Paul is saying that faith by itself justifies a person before God. God doesn't need a man to do works to see his faith, but a man does need to see works to show he is justified. That's the difference.

So, Paul is talking about a different faith than James is talking about. Paul's "faith" that results in justification is genuine, but James' "faith" that doesn't justify by itself is fake, because he is talking about people who claim to be followers of Christ but don't do what He said.

I have heard this too many times than I care to count but it just doesn't line up with what the Bible actually says. James 2 talks about how Abraham was justified by works when he offered his son Isaac upon the altar. If you know the story of what happened in Genesis with Abraham and Isaac, they were the only ones on the mountain. No man witnessed what they were doing. In fact, Abraham's obedience to God in offering up his son Isaac was not a point about being justified before men, but it was about God blessing Abraham on the account of his obedience. James relates a faith without works like that of demons. So this is speaking really negatively of a faith that has no works. James says faith without works is dead. In other words, a dead faith cannot save anyone.

On top of that.... the word “justified” in James 2:24 is used for both faith and works. Most Christians today beleive that being justified by faith relates to salvation. So why is this not the case for works? The same word “justified” for both faith in works in the same verse. I will tell you why. It's because folks do not like what James says. Some have tried to just write off the book of James altogether. There are all kinds of excuses to undo certain verses that Christians find uncomfortable in these last days.

You said:
But you didn't answer my question: what do you do with Rom. 3:28?

Not true. I answered this in post #73.

Upvote 0