Facing difficult choice. Need prayer for direction, comfort, and more...desperately.

Josephus

<b>Co-Founder Christian Forums</b>
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2000
Kerbal Space Center
✟150,343.00
Faith
Messianic
I need prayer. We need prayer.
  • Was renting for 14 years, 2 bedroom apartment, my wife a stay-at-home mom homeschooling our 3 kids. Could not afford buying a house no matter what we tried.
  • Company moved out of my city, laying off everyone. They gave us 2 years to prepare. Within that time, I miraculously landed a job promotion in the same company that allowed me to work remote, and find and buy our first 3 bedroom home last spring! All of my family are near by, and we're finally able to help take care of parents, and aging grandparents! :)
  • Now just 1 month after everyone else was laid off, I'm being asked to relocate out of state to company hq, or face a layoff myself in just two weeks.

As you can imagine, I am quite overwhelmed. I received the news two weeks ago. Since then I've been putting out lots of resumes, hoping by some miracle I land a job that not only allows us to stay where we are, but also continue to be a blessing to our family. I've had one good solid interview for a job that would be the same pay and benefits as my previous, but I've not heard anything back. I have two other interviews this week, but I'm trepidatious. Time is ticking down, and my company wants an answer in two weeks. They are willing to give us until summer to move.

I know God always works things out for the better. Never before has my faith been this tested though. I always used to think of myself as the man of God who had great faith. I usually do. I've seen amazing miracles in my life, and I know how God provides His way in the nick of time. But this is has really revealed to me I'm a spiritual weakling - or at least I feel like one. I'm asking for spiritual, mental, and emotional support right now, as I find myself desperately alone (I know I have God) even in the midst of family and people that we've only started to get acquainted with in our community.

My wife doesn't really like our home, as we bought it from her mother before she moved out to a different state across the country, but my wife doesn't want to move out of state to a big city either.

Miraculously we've got a good severance package, or relocation package, whatever we choose, which will allow me to buy a commuter car and drive to work (yea).

I guess I need good advice, good counsel, and Godly direction. It's a step of faith to stay here without a job offer yet, and it's just as much a step of faith to relocate my entire family out of state for a company that I'm nervous about its future prospects. After the downer of the first layoff notice, and the high of the job promotion, and now this... wowsers.

I also find myself in a position where I'm not as competitive as I'd like. I have no certifications, but tons of work experience. We've looked at ways to cut our budget, but without a job offer in two weeks, we will have no choice but to forego the severance (or should I take it?) and take the relocation offer.

I feel like I'm looking at a fork in the road. I have no idea which way to go.

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
  • Was renting for 14 years, 2 bedroom apartment, my wife a stay-at-home mom homeschooling our 3 kids. Could not afford buying a house no matter what we tried.
  • Company moved out of my city, laying off everyone. They gave us 2 years to prepare. Within that time, I miraculously landed a job promotion in the same company that allowed me to work remote, and find and buy our first 3 bedroom home last spring! All of my family are near by, and we're finally able to help take care of parents, and aging grandparents! :)
  • Now just 1 month after everyone else was laid off, I'm being asked to relocate out of state to company hq, or face a layoff myself in just two weeks.

As you can imagine, I am quite overwhelmed. I received the news two weeks ago. Since then I've been putting out lots of resumes, hoping by some miracle I land a job that not only allows us to stay where we are, but also continue to be a blessing to our family. I've had one good solid interview for a job that would be the same pay and benefits as my previous, but I've not heard anything back. I have two other interviews this week, but I'm trepidatious. Time is ticking down, and my company wants an answer in two weeks. They are willing to give us until summer to move.

I know God always works things out for the better. Never before has my faith been this tested though. I always used to think of myself as the man of God who had great faith. I usually do. I've seen amazing miracles in my life, and I know how God provides His way in the nick of time. But this is has really revealed to me I'm a spiritual weakling - or at least I feel like one. I'm asking for spiritual, mental, and emotional support right now, as I find myself desperately alone (I know I have God) even in the midst of family and people that we've only started to get acquainted with in our community.

My wife doesn't really like our home, as we bought it from her mother before she moved out to a different state across the country, but my wife doesn't want to move out of state to a big city either.

Miraculously we've got a good severance package, or relocation package, whatever we choose, which will allow me to buy a commuter car and drive to work (yea).

I guess I need good advice, good counsel, and Godly direction. It's a step of faith to stay here without a job offer yet, and it's just as much a step of faith to relocate my entire family out of state for a company that I'm nervous about its future prospects. After the downer of the first layoff notice, and the high of the job promotion, and now this... wowsers.

I also find myself in a position where I'm not as competitive as I'd like. I have no certifications, but tons of work experience. We've looked at ways to cut our budget, but without a job offer in two weeks, we will have no choice but to forego the severance (or should I take it?) and take the relocation offer.

:heart: Hi Josephus, praying for you at this most dire dire, uncertain time, and praying for your wife and all the family, that God opens crystal clear doors of blessings, and favor and that He calms each of you and moooooves in your favor as only He can do. Father may it be so, in Jesus name, amen (((hug)))

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Prayers... And we miss you on the CF. I have designed videos that are faith inspiring.

For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. - 1 John 5:4

And we will keep you in prayer as you go out and exercise your faith.

rockytopva

• Informative
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0

Josephus

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2000
Kerbal Space Center
✟150,343.00
Faith
Messianic
:heart: Hi Josephus, praying for you at this most dire dire, uncertain time, and praying for your wife and all the family, that God opens crystal clear doors of blessings, and favor and that He calms each of you and moooooves in your favor as only He can do. Father may it be so, in Jesus name, amen (((hug)))
Amen!
Thank you!

• Friendly
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Josephus

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2000
Kerbal Space Center
✟150,343.00
Faith
Messianic
Prayers... And we miss you on the CF. I have designed videos that are faith inspiring.

For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. - 1 John 5:4

And we will keep you in prayer as you go out and exercise your faith.

rockytopva
Thank you!

Upvote 0

Josephus

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2000
Kerbal Space Center
✟150,343.00
Faith
Messianic
Is the out of state headquarters place close enough to easily go visit before you make a decision if you want to work/move there? How stable is this company? How long has this company been in business? You have worked with this place for 14 years or more?

Its 12 hours away. I've been there several times for training. I never cared for the weather, or the big city. The area is very posh, so finding a place doesn't seem like it will be cheaper than where we are now, by a long shot. The company was acquired during the downturn after existing 30+ years, and then released recently on its own, so its fledgling at this point. I've worked at it for the past 10 years. It's seems stable, but a company that does a lot of reorganization over a period of 5 years just seems questionable long term. Who knows? Only God does. I'm just trying to make the right decision.

If we stay without a solid job offer, its risky to say when I will land a job at home that will pay the bills and bring food on the table. If we leave, it's risky to say when or if I could get another pink slip. It's all so very... disconcerting.

The way I see it I have three options at the moment:

1. Find a local job offer, take the severance and have a commuter car for work, before two weeks is up.
2. Accept the relocation offer, but keep looking for a local job offer up until the point we have to move, take no severance and use our family's only vehicle for commuting to work.
3. Accept the relocation offer and plan for moving, and use some of the relocation money to buy a commuter vehicle for work.

#1 is entirely dependent on the Lord for a job, within two weeks.
#2 is also entirely dependent on the Lord for a job and commuter vehicle, within 4 months.
#3 is provided for already, except no actual destination house/apt rental found yet.

This is what I need prayer for: a clear direction, and strength to follow through.

Upvote 0

Truthfrees

Site Supporter
May 20, 2015
✟277,188.00
Faith
Word of Faith

praying for you to have God's wisdom on this and for God's favor and blessing to give you the most amazing results as per James 1:5 - Psalms 35:27 - Psalms 37:4 - Philippians 4:19

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Father, I pray that You will lead this family into the knowledge of Your will regarding moving or not. May You show them whether they should write all the pros & cons down on paper, or consider "The 5 Guide Posts of Knowing God's Will" 1. Your written Word, 2. Prayer, 3. Christian Counsel, 4. Circumstances, and 5. Feelings; are some other way. May they come to know Your will, and then receive a peace about it, and then follow Your will in confidence, assured of Your blessing upon them. Amen.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

:prayer: Remember Romans 8.28...

• Agree
Reactions: Josephus
Upvote 0

Josephus

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2000
Kerbal Space Center
✟150,343.00
Faith
Messianic
Would your severance pay come weekly amounts/monthly or a one-time sum? Can you still get unemployment benefits either way it is paid out to you? How much do other relatives need you very close by at this point? Do you have brothers or sisters who are still in the area that could help them? What kind of things are in your location now that you would miss? your church...family...smaller town...? Not sure how big of a city you would be going to work in. Remember many years ago when got my job I did not want to work in very tall buildings. The freeways scared me so much that was writing down on different papers how to get to various places using only streets. My dad was still there and saw me making some of the sheets. Asked me what I was doing. Told him, and he says oh no...you are going to take the freeways. Said to him that I can't! There are so many lanes! Went riding and he taught me how to get on and off of them. I was terrified at first! It was a good thing that he helped me before they left, as within a couple of months I had to drive on them to get to my new job location. Had been transferred about an hour or so away. During this time too was sent back at times to work in the higher floors of buildings. You could feel the wind swaying them. The elevators were odd as to how they made you feel every time they stopped. I did not like it. Always was relieved each time got back outside to the ground/sidewalk.

The company is not giving you much time to make the right decision. two weeks more....Sorry, but that says something to me about it. You have been working from home, so why do they want to change that? You have until summer to move, okay...then why the rush to make a choice? Will you be doing the same type of job there? Do you need to be there for meetings they want you to attend? You went for training. That is good. You got to check the work scene out and the area. Are the places you are applying for only local? What did you like about the headquarters? What did you not like about it? Is it more likely you would be promoted again if you worked right where maybe the CEO or such could see you and chat with you?

They are offering you a set amount of money for relocating and not just paying expenses? Do you have to sign any agreements such as won't work for a competitor for a specific amount of time? Why is a second car so important right now? Did you have one before you started working from home - as remote? How did you get to work in the past?

You already have ten years at this company. How much service do others have that work in the hq location? If you start with a new company in your area, then you would be going back to zero time built up, even if you could still have the same benefits as to insurance and pay.

- Severance is lump sum, covers 3-4 months pay (I'd be working anyways to stretch it out, and if I land a good job, I can convert the rest into a commuter car). Includes company paid COBRA for 3 months too.

- Relocation is lump sum, would cover buying a commuter car too, hopefully. It would be for the same job I do now.

No we are not being giving a lot of time to make a decision. That's the frustrating part. There is room for advancement at the company, and management is favorable to me (that why they want me to relocate, rather than leave). I have a great boss. The hq location is just getting crowded... fast. The big city also is seeing demand outstrip supply and housing is just as bad as it is where I am now... except we landed an amazing deal when we bought this house, which allows me to downsize by 10k a year or more if needed - which is not quite approaching entry-level for jobs in my area, but it's within striking distance of survival.

We aren't that connected to family quite yet. There aren't siblings that can take over either, but I'm sure something could be worked out.

We have a van, for my wife and three kids who are homeschooled, but plugged into weekly activities. If If I had to commute (I'm looking at 40 mins out no matter if we stay here or relocate), they would need the van since coordinating those activities would be very difficult. In the past I lived only 15 mins from work and we coordinated fine.

It's like we have opportunities either way, but currently only one path is open - relocation, as I've not been offered a job yet. It will remain so until a job is offered. My father in law, and sister both agree that relocating just doesn't feel right. So here's hoping. :)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
- Severance is lump sum, covers 3-4 months pay (I'd be working anyways to stretch it out, and if I land a good job, I can convert the rest into a commuter car). Includes company paid COBRA for 3 months too.

- Relocation is lump sum, would cover buying a commuter car too, hopefully. It would be for the same job I do now.

No we are not being giving a lot of time to make a decision. That's the frustrating part. There is room for advancement at the company, and management is favorable to me (that why they want me to relocate, rather than leave). I have a great boss. The hq location is just getting crowded... fast. The big city also is seeing demand outstrip supply and housing is just as bad as it is where I am now... except we landed an amazing deal when we bought this house, which allows me to downsize by 10k a year or more if needed - which is not quite approaching entry-level for jobs in my area, but it's within striking distance of survival.

We aren't that connected to family quite yet. There aren't siblings that can take over either, but I'm sure something could be worked out.

We have a van, for my wife and three kids who are homeschooled, but plugged into weekly activities. If If I had to commute (I'm looking at 40 mins out no matter if we stay here or relocate), they would need the van since coordinating those activities would be very difficult. In the past I lived only 15 mins from work and we coordinated fine.

It's like we have opportunities either way, but currently only one path is open - relocation, as I've not been offered a job yet. It will remain so until a job is offered. My father in law, and sister both agree that relocating just doesn't feel right. So here's hoping. :)
I guess that also you have the live with the financial consequences of not relocating where you have the opportunity, rather than your relatives.

In a sense it's a matter of discernment about what seems to be the Lord's provision; it's a matter of your faith and how you might see it, one way or another, rather than other ppl's.

Upvote 0

Josephus

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2000
Kerbal Space Center
✟150,343.00
Faith
Messianic
Good news is, I've had two solid HR interviews for two separate jobs that would cover what we need. Just waiting and praying for manager interviews to come. I have another HR interview tomorrow for a third company. So it appears I am getting noticed. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Can I ask a question?

If they want an answer within two weeks or will lay you off, but will give you until the summer to move, how exactly would that work?

a. Would you not get layed off since you committed to moving, but would continue to work in your town until summer?

b. You would be layed off with everyone else in two weeks, but would use your severance to get by until summer and then move?

• Agree
Reactions: Kristen Davis
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Good news is, I've had two solid HR interviews for two separate jobs that would cover what we need. Just waiting and praying for manager interviews to come. I have another HR interview tomorrow for a third company. So it appears I am getting noticed. :)

:heart: Praise God!!!! Thank you for the update!!! Praying!! (((hug)))

• Friendly
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0

Josephus

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2000
Kerbal Space Center
✟150,343.00
Faith
Messianic
Bless God, I got a second interview now with the hiring manager for a nearby job, same pay as I make now. Scheduled for Friday afternoon. Praying for a good interview. Stepping into the waters... praying for them to part. :) With God's help, I can do this. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0