Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In the NT, the act of sexual infidelity, or adultery, is the only one mentioned granting the right to divorce. However, separation from a spouse is permitted.

Separation is OK if justified by abuse:

Leaving Your Spouse Because Of Abuse
Rather than demanding that an unequally yoked wife stay in a situation where she is abusively oppressed, our Lord gives her an option. He does this because, “Just as a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear Him. For He Himself knows our frame; He is mindful that we are but dust” (Psalm 103:13-14). He understands her humanity and takes pity on her.
http://marriagemissions.com/leaving-abusive-spouse/

BTW

An attempt to abide by the divorce based on adultery only requirement can cause considerable suffering for the Christian spouse who feels that he has been sentenced to a life of extreme solitude while his unfaithful spouse is having a good time while watching him squirm.

Case in point:
I knew a Jehovah's Witness who was separated from his wife and felt unable to remarry because he had been told by a congregation elder that he needed clear indisputable evidence that his wife had committed adultery in order to get the divorce.

During his child visitation visits, he would sometimes find his wife's boyfriend emerging from the bedroom. He was told that it was insufficient evidence of adultery and that he had to catch them in the act.

Several years later he was told that he didn't have to catch them having congress but that he could logically assume that they were having congress. So he finally felt free to remarry.

A JWs wife was disfellowshipped recently from the JWs organization because her basis for divorce had been incompatibility of personalities. So when she remarried, it was considered an act of adultery.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In the NT, the act of sexual infidelity, or adultery, is the only one mentioned granting the right to divorce.
Not really. When that was said (Matt 5-6) the Law was still firmly in place, and that required the death penalty for adultery.

You do not need to divorce a dead spouse.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Several years later he was told that he didn't have to catch them having congress but that he could logically assume that they were having congress. So he finally felt free to remarry.
"Congress?" Really?

Upvote 0

Hallstone

Jul 20, 2016
Pacific Northwest
✟14,446.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not supposed to divorce maybe.
What's so interesting is the logic of the statement conveys the fact that marriage is permanent, and immutable, meaning the one who marries a divorced woman is practicing adultery because he is having sex with his neighbors wife because his 'supposed wife' actually still belongs to her first husband until that first husband dies, and this reflects the divine order because when God created the woman and gave her to the man, the gift was permanent or rather life-long. the religious organizations do not teach this in depth because of their financial agendas.

Upvote 0

Hallstone

Jul 20, 2016
Pacific Northwest
✟14,446.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the NT, the act of sexual infidelity, or adultery, is the only one mentioned granting the right to divorce. However, separation from a spouse is permitted.

Separation is OK if justified by abuse:
Yes but granting the right to divorce only to the man, in these teachings it is quite obvious that the woman has more of a outlet than the man because she is allowed to leave if necessary but must remain alone, on the other hand the man can never divorce his wife for any reason except the unrepentant immorality of his wife, and then he is allowed to add another wife, so he does not cancel the first marriage, he just simply adds on another wife and is allowed to do so.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yes but granting the right to divorce only to the man, in these teachings it is quite obvious that the woman has more of a outlet than the man because she is allowed to leave if necessary but must remain alone, on the other hand the man can never divorce his wife for any reason except the unrepentant immorality of his wife, and then he is allowed to add another wife, so he does not cancel the first marriage, he just simply adds on another wife and is allowed to do so.
I don't think that polygamy was or is allowed under the New Testament so I assume you are referring to the OT-right?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hallstone

Jul 20, 2016
Pacific Northwest
✟14,446.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think that polygamy was or is allowed under the New Testament so I assume you are referring to the OT-right?
polygamy has never been taught as desirable or encouraged in any way ever, but it is tolerated under strict circumstances, nevertheless the logic of the scripture suggests that when the man divorces his unrepentant immoral wife he will not be held accountable for her death and he is allowed to add another wife, because the immoral wife still belongs to him its just that he is not "causing her to commit adultery", her death is by her own hand so to speak. he is not dissolving the marriage, he is simply casting her out, and removing her support so anyone marrying her after that also commits adultery.

Upvote 0

Hallstone

Jul 20, 2016
Pacific Northwest
✟14,446.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well this, and the fact religions are run by misogynistic males.
males are not the problem, the problem is evil males that refuse to acknowledge the truth, a man that is fulfilling his role as a true man is not misogynistic but I'm sure it appears this way to someone that has become cynical and pessimistic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
males are not the problem, the problem is evil males that refuse to acknowledge the truth, a man that is fulfilling his role as a true man is not misogynistic but I'm sure it appears this way to someone that has become cynical and pessimistic.
On the contrary, I see your bigoted, misogynistic attitude for what it is. What's true, is that women should have every right and opportunity afforded to men, and shouldn't be subjugated to men like you. If you think otherwise, then strong, confident intellectual women probably scare you, and probably couldn't handle a relationship with one, hence your need to feel superior in every way.

Upvote 0

Hallstone

Jul 20, 2016
Pacific Northwest
✟14,446.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
On the contrary, I see your bigoted, misogynistic attitude for what it is. What's true, is that women should have every right and opportunity afforded to men, and shouldn't be subjugated to men like you. If you think otherwise, then strong, confident intellectual women probably scare you, and probably couldn't handle a relationship with one, hence your need to feel superior in every way.
The only thing I fear is not being obedient to Jesus, my wife and I are obedient to His word and are content, anybody can do anything they want, but whether or not they make it to the next world is the rub. ask your homeboy.

Upvote 0

SteveB28

May 14, 2015
✟21,415.00
Faith
Atheist

And what, pray tell, is one's "role as a true man"?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is this your cowardly way of saying women should be barefoot and pregnant and stay in the kitchen?

Is that your cowardly way of stretching the truth and trying to make a good thing seem bad?

Is there something wrong with a woman being pregnant and/or taking care of the house?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,382.00
Faith
Pentecostal
And what, pray tell, is one's "role as a true man"?
This...
Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, because we are members of his body. "Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh." This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church. However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.
Ephesians 5:25‭-‬33 ESV
http://bible.com/59/eph.5.25-33.ESV

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, I don't have a pastor, but I was simply trying to make a point that men and women are two completely different creatures, created to fulfill two completely different roles and yet they compliment one another. When the roles are mixed or reversed it encourages confusion and conflict, but all this is quite obvious to those who are familiar with divine order. Love is the key to success, but where there is selfish ambition, there is every evil thing.

Does this then mean, women shouldnt be allowed to do certain things?

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It goes a step further then this. Did you see the movie Yentel? A story about a women that has to dress up like a man because she wants to get a religious education. The honor of a women is in being a mother. Not only are they to “Be fruitful and multiply.” They are to ensure that children are born in purity and holiness, with pure hearts and minds that will enable them to resist temptation and avoid the pitfalls of the environment when they grow up. A virtuous woman takes good care of her home and she makes sure everyone's needs are provided for. She works late into the night and rises early in the morning.
Ok, cool. There are also a million other things a woman can do to earn honor.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Is that your cowardly way of stretching the truth and trying to make a good thing seem bad?

Is there something wrong with a woman being pregnant and/or taking care of the house?
Why don't you take care of the house?

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The only thing I fear is not being obedient to Jesus, my wife and I are obedient to His word and are content, anybody can do anything they want, but whether or not they make it to the next world is the rub. ask your homeboy.
There is no next world. You only get one shot, so you better make a difference.

Upvote 0