pmarquette

Nov 17, 2003
Auburn , IL.
Visit site
✟8,938.00
Faith
Protestant
The reason I am familar with :

Calvin's view [ Moravian ] that man cannot resist the will of God .... which tied into the concept of " election or predestination ".
God already knows his saints , ministers , leaders , etc.

Armenianism suggests we can resist God , and His Spirit , doing what we wish rather than what God suggests ...

Upvote 0
D

Drotar

A lot more than that.

I'm convinced that Calvinism is ultimately true- however, Arminianism is simply man's attempt to explain the SAME process from HIS perspective. Arminianism is wrong when you apply it to what ACTUALLY happens. However, that is the way it seems.

Calvinism, on the other hand, is what happens when we throw in the factor of knowledge- omniscience. When we know all the factors that lead to our decisions and the very fabric of God's ordaination, then Calvinism is true.

Calvinism and ARminianism are simply two perspectives describing the same thing- the salvation process.

HOWEVER, this is not to say that both are right. Ultimately, God IS in control, and Calvinism IS true. However, we cannot say that the way we perceive things with our limited knowledge of determination of the will, is wrong. We cannot say that we don't have a free will. We do- but only from our perspective. ULTIMATELY, we don't. TTYL Jesus lvoes you!

If you would like me to explain the five points of both systems, I would be pleased to. :)

Reactions: CSMR
Upvote 0

dldeskins

A man of many hats =|:)
Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
✟7,880.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Drotar said:
Ultimately, God IS in control, and Calvinism IS true.
I, too, at 18 thought that I had it all figured out. Because of my idealism, and my "know-it-all" attitude, I put God in a box and believed that I understood all Scripture and the Nature of God. That set me up for a hard fall.

These many years later, I am not as self-assured as the young-one here, but I am much more assured of who God is and who He is in me. With that said, I am NOT a Calvinist, even though I was (very nearly) a Calvinist a 18.

The main reason that I am not, is the concept of predestination. To the calvinist, EVERYTHING is predetermined. In other words, a fatalist (one who believe in fate) who believes in God. Calvinists believe that God predetermines who will go to heaven and who will go to hell.

I believe that Scripture teaches that anyone can be saved or converted. This belief alone separates me from the calvinist.

I have some good links that discuss the doctrines of both, but my no of post isn't enough to post the urls.

God Bless

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dldeskins

A man of many hats =|:)
Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
✟7,880.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
eutychus37 said:
Though this is long and exhaustive, it does a great job of explaining Calvinism and Reformed Theology through a series of questions and replies in an interview.

eutychus37,

That site is full of "thou shalt not's" and "holier than thou" attitudes, but nothing that really explains the doctrines of the calvinist. Anti-CCM stuff? How to drink OJ? Give me a break!

Melani asked for a site to explain calvinist and armenian doctrine, not a place to get indoctrinated by a bunch of legalist.

Upvote 0

gort

pedantric
Sep 18, 2003
Visit site
✟26,872.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello all, new to this "part" of the forum and trying to learn something I had'nt yet heard. Ours is a non-denominational church, Bible only......no wandering allowed.

Is my understanding of Calvinism true in regards to "pre-destination", that we are chosen either to heaven or hell? Period? Don't even try? Much less have hope?

My faith does'nt seem to allow that. After reading some of the "5 points", I can't agree with "double election" which leads into limited atonement.

I can agree with Calvinism except for these points just mentioned.

Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
daneel said:
Hello all, new to this "part" of the forum and trying to learn something I had'nt yet heard. Ours is a non-denominational church, Bible only......no wandering allowed.

Is my understanding of Calvinism true in regards to "pre-destination", that we are chosen either to heaven or hell? Period? Don't even try? Much less have hope?

My faith does'nt seem to allow that. After reading some of the "5 points", I can't agree with "double election" which leads into limited atonement.

Any thoughts?

D, I will get to you tomorrow..I will remember.

Just remember this about Calvinism.

Just as God planned your present (your sex , appearance, country and time of birth ) He also planned your eternity .

Hsa 11:4 I drew them with cords of a man, with bands of love: and I was to them as they that take off the yoke on their jaws, and I laid meat unto them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
daneel said:

Any thoughts?

My life is so busy right now..so I hope I have time to discuss the major differing doctrine between the major ones ..Arminianism and calvinism,

We need to agree to a few things first.

No one is saved by Calvinism or Arminianism..we are all saved by the grace of God

So there are "elect" of God in both groups and "tares" in both groups.

What we will be discussing is how each group sees the How of Gods works, not that we think one group is lost because of their Soteriology .

We must also have an agreement on the trinity.

We must first agree that God is one being that is at the same time 3 persons .

That is a foundational truth.

Craig I want you to understand that the difference in the two theologies is about the way God works and what His sovereignty means in the life of men .

Most Calvinists were at one time Arminian..most of us have arminian friends and family we believe that are saved.

So our discussion will be one divorces from the question of anyones salvation.

Are we agreed here? .

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.