NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think the terminology Lord's Supper or communion is far more common in Protestant denominations. Many Protestants see communion as a memorial of Christ's passion and death and do not view the Body and Blood of being actually present.

Not really. Many Protestants view communion as a sacrament (after all, we are still Christians and part of the universal church just as the Roman church is). Few Protestants believe in the transubstantiation that the Roman church believes. We do believe in consubstantiation, which is also a real presence but not the replacement of the elements with actual flesh and blood.

I have a friend who is in the Roman church who jokingly refers to Protestant Communion as "snack time". :yum:

Upvote 0
K

kristina411

Since Jesus is in Heaven in His glorified body, we cannot literally "eat His flesh and drink His blood". But spiritually we can receive Him into our souls and spirits by faith, so that His life is within us. When you eat and drink ordinary food and drink you assimilate that into your body. When you "eat and drink" Christ you assimilate Him into your spirit by the Holy Spirit. This happens when you first receive Him by faith as your Lord and Savior. But the Lord's Supper is to remember His great sacrifice for your sins and to thank Him and praise Him for it. It is a time of worship. It is a Remembrance Feast.

When you partake of the Lord's Supper, it is to remember that His body was "broken" (wounded, torn, lacerated, pierced, bruised, severely) and He suffered greatly, while His blood was shed when He was crucified. At the same time His unimaginable sufferings were in His body, soul, and spirit as He paid the penalty for the sins of the world. If you want to know how God wants you to observe the Lord's Supper study 1 Corinthians 11:17-34.

There are no rules, regulations or rites for Christian fasting. If you know that the Holy Spirit lives within you, He will also guide you in this matter. It is not ascetism, but setting aside your bodily needs and comforts to spend time with the Lord and pray about serious issues. It is also a part of spiritual warfare against evil spirits and demons.

Thank you, your post was very informative and really helped me understand. Thank you again :)

To the others, I now see this is a "hot topic" and I apologize that this has created tension but I ask that the debate be moved to another threw or private messaging. What is being discussed is not on topic with my post, is making it difficult to get actual answers, and has taken up 75% of this thread now.
Thank you for taking the time and I have enjoyed reading from both of you, however it has not been helpful in my questions.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the terminology Lord's Supper or communion is far more common in Protestant denominations. Many Protestants see communion as a memorial of Christ's passion and death and do not view the Body and Blood of being actually present.

probably because it isn't - he has risen
he said do this in remembrance of me .. not do it to me over and over again

Upvote 0