explain to me communion and fasting please

K

kristina411

I would like some clarification (with scripture if you have it) on communion and fasting.
Now I know it says in the NT when Jesus is sat with the twelve before he is captured and he tels them to eat and drink, the bread is his body the drink is his blood. He says when you eat and drink to remember him I believe? Its been a while since I read that part.
So... If someone could please explain why we are to eat his flesh and drink his blood. What the purpose apart from him telling us to do so. What does it mean is what I'm getting at. What should we do before and after, during communion and what should be at the front of our minds?

Fasting. To what purpose, how often, how long, what is a typical fasting period like? What is the purpose? I'm not opposing I just would like to be informed. I know in the NT and OT they would fast but why, when, how is it to be done?
ETA this isn't about gaining "brownie points" and its not about real blood and body vs a metaphor so please don't get all worked up.

Last edited:

chapmic

Follower of Jesus
Site Supporter
Sep 16, 2014
✟50,507.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's about oneness, so we can feel like we are one with Jesus. So we can acknowledge that we are apart of the family. As Christians we are followers of Christ, so we do this to remind ourselves we are following him and our will should align with his will, his thoughts should be our thoughts, his actions should be our actions. Its kinda like "you are what you eat".

Upvote 0
K

kristina411

<snip>

Jesus did say that unless we gnaw on his flesh and drink his blood, we cannot inherit eternal life. If Jesus didn't literally mean to consume him, why would he repeatedly say to? Remember, many of his disciples abandoned him, disgusted that he would even say such things. To them, it sounded cannibalistic.
<snip>
Because we Catholics believe Holy Communion to be the Body and Blood of Jesus, we have very strict rules about the conditions and rules for receiving. This is because Saint Paul says, in 1 Corinthians 11:27 "So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord."
<snip>
As for it seeming cannibalistic, it is not. Cannibalism is consuming the dead flesh of a corpse. In the Holy Eucharist, we receive the living, glorified Body of Christ. Because His glorified Body is living, we are not eating dead flesh, and because Christ is risen, he is not a corpse :liturgy::clap:

The ancient post-Communion prayer of the Universal (Catholic) Church is the Anima Christi, which goes as follows:

Soul of Christ, sanctify me
Body of Christ, save me
Blood of Christ, inebriate me
Water from Christ's side, wash me
Passion of Christ, strengthen me
O good Jesus, hear me
Within Thy wounds hide me
Suffer me not to be separated from Thee
From the malicious enemy defend me
In the hour of my death call me
And bid me come unto Thee
That I may praise Thee with Thy saints
and with Thy angels
Forever and ever
Amen
Pax Christi my friend!:priest:

Thank you for your post. I'm not catholic at all and never could be but I do respect and understand a lot of what you follow so your explanation is helpful. I have always been undecided if it is the blood and body or if it is a representation. I don't see the significance in knowing yes or no so long as it is treated as his blood and body.
What you have said makes complete sense. Some times I wish I could become catholic but I simply can not believe certain things. I guess I'm somewhere in the middle, believing a lot of the catholic church but differing in other major parts.
Anyways, that last prayer was beautiful and thank you for the references. I will look into them and study your response some more. I've realized when I just read through something I forget almost all of it and don't know what I'm reading. Thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Bobinator

Jul 30, 2007
✟11,899.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Note that when Jesus told Nicodemus he had to be born again, Jesus clarified that he spoke of spiritual things, and not a literal rebirth through one’s mother’s womb. Communion is no different, unless you actually believe the absurdity of a piece of bread and cup of wine being a literal body and blood of Jesus. I am reminded of the Inquisitions, beginning in the 12th Century, in which thousands were killed and many more tortured by the Catholic Church for not believing it.

Jesus never made communion an institution. He simply said to do it often. What is communion? The breaking of bread involves fellowship and bonding with fellow Christians. The bread represents the Jesus’ body that was broken. When we fellowship closely with others, we share their burdens, we care for one another. We sacrifice of ourselves and of our possessions to minister to those in need. We also suffer loss and rejection by those we love. Remember the lesson of washing each other’s feet?

1Corin. 11:[25] After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.[26] For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.[27] Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.[28] But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.[29] For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.[30] For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.[31] For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.[32] But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.[33] Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another.

Jesus broke his body for our sakes and commands us to demonstrate his love for each other. You can’t do that hiding in a cave.

The wine speaks of repentance and reminds us that we are sinners and are responsible for Christ’s crucifixion. It reminds us that we are under God’s grace and nothing less. As God forgave and redeemed us through his blood, so to should we forgive and give grace unto others, less we become unworthy of his blood.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't see fasting as being compulsory in the New Testament. Furthermore, to want to be identified as a one who fasts, is a show of religion that is not Scriptural. Rather, the emphasis is that it is voluntary and private, if it helps with one's prayer and Bible study.

Upvote 0
K

kristina411

For the fasting... Not even my husband knows I plan to do it. I just went over it once again in Matthew where Jesus says specifically not to show you are fasting and I'm the person that wants to do everything right. Not for others but for my relationship with Christ. So I'm here asking so I can begin the next stage of my faith.
Same with communion. I'm sorry it caused some tension. That was not my intention. I did not know it was such a touchy topic. I honestly don't know to believe it is or isn't really his blood and body, what is important to me is why I am consuming his body and blood and have gotten great responses. Thank you.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
For the fasting... Not even my husband knows I plan to do it. I just went over it once again in Matthew where Jesus says specifically not to show you are fasting and I'm the person that wants to do everything right. Not for others but for my relationship with Christ. So I'm here asking so I can begin the next stage of my faith.
Same with communion. I'm sorry it caused some tension. That was not my intention. I did not know it was such a touchy topic. I honestly don't know to believe it is or isn't really his blood and body, what is important to me is why I am consuming his body and blood and have gotten great responses. Thank you.

You don't work your way up to a supposed, higher spiritual state by the fact that you fast. But if it helps you as a means to an end, if it helps you with your prayers, then good.

Some people falsely teach that the bread and the wine actually become the body and blood of the Lord Jesus. Whereas they represent them, and we remember the Lord Jesus His death in the light of His finished work at the Cross which cannot be repeated through any ceremony (Matt. 26; Mark 14; Luke 22; 1 Corinthians 11; Hebrews chapters 9 & 19).

Blessings.

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
There is nothing in the Bible to suggest Jesus wasn't being literal. Why would you deny the Body and Blood of our Lord?

Just so you know, this is the non-denominational forum and add such you are permitted to post in fellowship, but not allowed to debate against non-denominational teachings or beliefs.

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
What exactly are non-denominational teachings? Wouldn't they vary depending on the congregation and pastor?

Read the above statement of faith. That is what this forum goes by and what you must adhere to when posting here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is nothing in the Bible to suggest Jesus wasn't being literal. Why would you deny the Body and Blood of our Lord?

At the time of the last supper, he had not yet made his sacrifice, so even though he told his disciples that it was the body and blood, he was still in possession of his body and blood.

If he had done this after the resurrection, then you could make a case for the Roman rite, but all he told them to do was to eat and drink in remembrance. If he wanted people to drink his actual blood, he could have done that on the cross when he was dripping blood from his wounds.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is this "Roman rite" you speak of? Within the Catholic Church there are about 30 rites, such as the Anglican rite, Latin rite, Byzantine rite, Melkite rite, etc. Each of them believes in the same thing, the only difference is the difference of worship setting and liturgy.

I believe you misunderstand what we understand Christ's Body to be. In the Holy Eucharist, we receive Jesus' glorified Body. You make a good point-- how could the Apostles receive Jesus if he hadn't died yet? However, if you look at the Nicene Creed (which I believe all Christians adhere to), it says Jesus was "born of the Father before all ages". God the Son fully existed before he was born, both in his human and divine nature. Thus, it is entirely possible (nothing is impossible through God after all!) for Christ to transubstantiate in the Eucharist before His sorrowful passion, death and resurrection! :amen:

True. Nothing is impossible with God. But, at the time of the last supper, he was in his fully human (while still being fully God) body. He did not carve off a piece. If the bread becomes his body in a RC church, then it can do the same in a Protestant church because nothing is impossible and Protestants are certainly Christian.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,591.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Admin Hat...

This thread has undergone a cleanup. Those who do not consider themselves Non-denominational MUST follow these rules (as well as all of the other rules which can be found here; Community Rules :

Congregational Forum Restrictions and orthodox Christian Only Forums
Members who do not truly share the core beliefs and teachings of a specific congregational forum may post in fellowship or ask questions, but they may not teach or debate within the forum. There are forums reserved for orthodox Christian members only. Please do not post in these forums unless you are truly a Nicene Creed, Trinitarian Christian (please see our Statement of Faith to know exactly what that is). If you wish to discuss unorthodox doctrines, you may do so in the Unorthodox Doctrinal Discussion forum.

Statement of Purpose and Off-Topic
Read and abide by each forum's Statement of Purpose; Statement of Purpose threads are sticky threads located at the top of the forum's page.
Not all forums have a Statement of Purpose thread. Start threads that are relevant to that forum's stated purpose. Submit replies that are relevant to the topic of discussion.

Mark
Advisers Assistant

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If someone could please explain why we are to eat his flesh and drink his blood. What the purpose apart from him telling us to do so.
Since Jesus is in Heaven in His glorified body, we cannot literally "eat His flesh and drink His blood". But spiritually we can receive Him into our souls and spirits by faith, so that His life is within us. When you eat and drink ordinary food and drink you assimilate that into your body. When you "eat and drink" Christ you assimilate Him into your spirit by the Holy Spirit. This happens when you first receive Him by faith as your Lord and Savior. But the Lord's Supper is to remember His great sacrifice for your sins and to thank Him and praise Him for it. It is a time of worship. It is a Remembrance Feast.

When you partake of the Lord's Supper, it is to remember that His body was "broken" (wounded, torn, lacerated, pierced, bruised, severely) and He suffered greatly, while His blood was shed when He was crucified. At the same time His unimaginable sufferings were in His body, soul, and spirit as He paid the penalty for the sins of the world. If you want to know how God wants you to observe the Lord's Supper study 1 Corinthians 11:17-34.

Fasting. To what purpose, how often, how long, what is a typical fasting period like?
There are no rules, regulations or rites for Christian fasting. If you know that the Holy Spirit lives within you, He will also guide you in this matter. It is not ascetism, but setting aside your bodily needs and comforts to spend time with the Lord and pray about serious issues. It is also a part of spiritual warfare against evil spirits and demons.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟242,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
You’ll need to show us where the term “Eucarest” is used in the Bible, and where it says power was given to the apostles to consecrate bread and wine to become something other than bread and wine?

Is there such a thing as Apostolic succession supported by scripture?

*Eucharist. It comes from the greek word Eucharistica meaning Thanksgiving. I cannot go into detail because it would go against forum rules as this is not a Catholic forum.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
*Eucharist. It comes from the greek word Eucharistica meaning Thanksgiving. I cannot go into detail because it would go against forum rules as this is not a Catholic forum.

I'm a Protestant, so I can provide info: Eucharist - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's a lot of good stuff there. Not just the closed table of the Roman church, but the details on Communion/Eucharist/Lord's Table for most denominations.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟242,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I'm a Protestant, so I can provide info: Eucharist - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's a lot of good stuff there. Not just the closed table of the Roman church, but the details on Communion/Eucharist/Lord's Table for most denominations.

I think the terminology Lord's Supper or communion is far more common in Protestant denominations. Many Protestants see communion as a memorial of Christ's passion and death and do not view the Body and Blood of being actually present.

Upvote 0