Drofrom

Apr 9, 2005
Portland, Oregon
✟127.00
Faith
SDA
Politics
US-Republican
I'm joining the Army and I'm training before I go so that Basic won't be so hard. All other activites to get fit arn't hard, but running kills me. I can run a mile in no time. (average speed 6.5 to 7 minutes) but anything longer than that I get worn out.
Does anybody have any suggestions for me so that I can run longer and farther.
I've been running and practicing, but I still havn't gotten any better after several weeks.

I've never been a long distance runner before now. I was a short distance sprinter. Some people have told me I just need to get my body used to doing long distances instead of sprints.
:confused:

2Bhumble

Veteran
Jan 16, 2004
Colorado
✟9,374.00
Faith
Christian
Slow down your pace. Start with a 15 minute run at a "leisurely" pace even if it seems too easy. Add 3 or 4 minutes every 3-4 runs (or once per week) at that same pace. When you hit about 30 minutes slowly increase your pace. Once you go 30-40 minutes straight, you should be able to handle anything.

Upvote 0

D-Lisch

My Best Friend's Name Is Jesus
Jul 13, 2004
Washington
✟15,886.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, it would be pretty hard to transition so quickly... if you have time, ease into longer distances slowly. Take your mile time down and go longer. Instead of running a 7 minute mile twice, try running a 10 minute mile twice instead. Make sure you increaes the distance you go. Don't necessarily forget about time. Every once in a while see how quickly you can do a mile and a half or two miles, just to stay ontop of it. If all else fails, just push yourself, you'll be surprised how much you can do if you stop thinking about it.

Upvote 0

Spicy McHaggis

I don't know nothin 'bout birthin no babies
Apr 30, 2002
Chicagoland
✟29,799.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
good quote a read about speed came from Moutain Bike magazine.

"I wanted to be faster, so when I saw someone faster than me on the trails I'd race to catch up to them so I caould ask then how they did it. It took awhile, but finally I caught one, and realized I didn't need to ask anymore."

I guess that means keep practicing. :)

Upvote 0

fitmom

Senior Veteran
Mar 3, 2004
Regina
Visit site
✟12,454.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Drofrom said:
I'm joining the Army and I'm training before I go so that Basic won't be so hard. All other activites to get fit arn't hard, but running kills me. I can run a mile in no time. (average speed 6.5 to 7 minutes) but anything longer than that I get worn out.
Does anybody have any suggestions for me so that I can run longer and farther.
I've been running and practicing, but I still havn't gotten any better after several weeks.

I've never been a long distance runner before now. I was a short distance sprinter. Some people have told me I just need to get my body used to doing long distances instead of sprints.
:confused:
Train your core, and practice HIIT in your aerobic training. God BLess, J

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums