✟122,747.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ex-student held in San Mateo school blast

(08-24) 19:56 PDT SAN MATEO -- A former student at Hillsdale High School in San Mateo, armed with 10 pipe bombs, a chainsaw and a sword, planned to forge a path of destruction through his old campus Monday, authorities said.

Investigators believe his plan was to kill people with bombs, then slaughter the survivors with the chain saw and sword.

Authorities said the 17-year-old was able to detonate only two of the bombs - injuring no one - before teachers at the school tackled him and police arrived.

No guns involved this time... but a CHAINSAW!? Good thing that it seems that he was unable to rev it up before the teachers took him down. All in all, good thing that no one was hurt and thanks to the teachers for their bravery in handling the situation.

I think this incident is interesting in that while there have been reports of attacks on schools, this time no guns involved, so we have no need to derail the topic by talking of gun control (and while I'm not totally against it, I do feel that sometimes in these school shooting incidents, it derails the discussion about what should be done about these incidents happening).

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My opinion? He should be removed from society for a very long time.

I understand how tough high school can be for many kids, but most don't act out in unlawful, extreme, semi-random ways like this. Most cope and find comfort wherever possible. Instead, these youths act on impulse and think it is a bright idea to kill people, some of whom they may not even know personally.

These school terror attacks are a new occurrence. Prior to the very end of the 20th century, I don't know of a single mass killing attempt in a school. It seems that each new perpetrator looks ideally at prior attacks on students and teachers as a model for how to solve personal problems.

I am less concerned with the chainsaw and sword. Though they are deadly weapons, they are not mass casualty weapons. Pipe bombs on the other hand show a clear sign of causing injury and death to multiple people. Preparing such a device also shows that it wasn't a whim.

I wish troubled kids would find help that is available, instead of torturing themselves and potentially slipping into the hatred that leads to events like this.

Upvote 0