St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I have never heard that view before, you are apparently saying there were first creatures only of what would be called kingdoms first, without any phyla or classes, or lower, to designate them, and then later there were creatures according to what we would call phyla to designate them, with no lower categories, and so on until there were species distinctions. Is that right? Is there any source you use that you can show saying that?
I think you've got it backwards. The first population of creatures were just a creatures. When a second population of creatures evolved from the first then there were two species. When there were enough species around (and if anyone had been around to do it) it might have been convenient to classify them into two or more groups called genera. As more species formed and more genera designated, the genera might be grouped into families. As more speciation occurred and more genera and families formed, it would have been useful to group them into orders, and so on. So all the higher taxa are just human constructs designed to classify a wide and diverse variety of creatures. But the only physical thing that's happening is speciation. The higher taxa don't exist until they are created to classify the results of continued speciation.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
But the only physical thing that's happening is speciation. The higher taxa don't exist until they are created to classify the results of continued speciation.

Of course even species labels are entirely artificial.

When you strip away all the human labels, all you have are populations of organisms reproducing over time.

• Agree
Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
For evolution specifically, there are millions of fossils now. This was not the case in Charles Darwin's time, when he said that there would be enough fossils to show the transitions in biological evolution eventually. Now there is transition of microevolution that we know about. But that is not the same thing. So I ask about what transitions are known from any among the millions of fossils, that adequately show transition between greater groups, not just examples of speciation. I do not know of any being found that certainly show that, which should be the case if there is evolution, that would show it.
The evidence is out there if you look for it. I saw a very good PBS documentary recently, describing the evolution of crocodilians, elephants, whales, and birds, from the evidence in the fossil record. What surprised me was the huge diversity of species in the families that were mostly wiped out in global extinctions. What we see today are the select descendants of the few species to survive those cataclysms.

Based on that documentary, the best evolutionary fossil sequence seems to be for birds - the fairly recent Chinese discoveries have revealed a huge number of fossils of feathered dinosaurs in various stages of development along the sequence that led to birds. Interesting that most of the features we associate with bird flight were actually present well before flight evolved, e.g. lightweight & hollow bones, 'wishbone', clawed & feathered forelimbs, even the shoulder girdle and 'flight stroke' motion.

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Speedwell said:
You still appear to me to be laboring under a misconception as to how higher taxa are formed. They are created as speciation proceeds. Imagine a growing tree. A sprout comes out of the ground--a species. Then it splits into two twigs--now you have two species (the two new twigs) and the original sprout has become a genus. Each of the two new twigs splits again. Now you have four species (the four new twigs) divided into two new genera (the original two twigs) and the original sprout has become a family. And so on. As I understand your comments, I don't think that the kind of transition you are looking for ever occurs.[/n of creatures evolved from the first then there were two species. When there were enough species around (and if anyone had been around to do it) it might have been convenient to classify them into two or more groups called genera. As more species formed and more genera designated, the genera might be grouped into families. As more speciation occurred and more genera and families formed, it would have been useful to group them into orders, and so on. So all the higher taxa are just human constructs designed to classify a wide and diverse variety of creatures. But the only physical thing that's happening is speciation. The higher taxa don't exist until they are created to classify the results of continued speciation.

So you mean there are no higher categories until categories are separated from original lower categories without the higher categories, though they are looked at with classifying in later times. Right?

pitabread said:
Taxonomic designations like "family", "genus", and even "species" are completely artificial. Those are just human classifications to make discussing biological forms easier to talk about. You won't find any fossils with Panderichthys rhombolepis or Hynerpeton bassetti stamped on them.

Fossils themselves are simply representatives of particular groups of organisms that happen to be alive at a given point in time.

What matters is the respective patterns of morphological change over time and whether those patterns show evolutionary changes. And the fossils definitely do show that, as we have numerous transitional forms that are intermediaries between previous forms and subsequent forms.

Where we draw the taxonomic boundaries between those forms is immaterial.

Of course categories are constructed by people, not something naturally there, but categories of life are still thought of with real basis. This is irrelevant to what I am asking.

Subduction Zone said:
You have been given examples. You also have a flawed concept of how evolution works. There is no transition from one family to another. You are still an ape for example. In fact you are still a "fish".

What "assumptions"? If you claim that there is an assumption the burden of proof to show that it is an assumption is on you.

Your questions continually demonstrate a lack of education when it comes to evolution. People have tired to help you, that raises the question why can you not learn from your errors?

Really? I noticed that you made that mistake right away. I am reading this as I respond. I am betting that this correction has been made earlier. As a creationist you should know that a "change of kind" is a strawman argument.

That is false. Creationists cannot "connect the dots". And there is much more than that. You see many of those "dots" were not known ahead of time. That makes each dot a test of the theory of evolution. I would suggest going over the basics of science first.

This thread, Evolution Lesson, is for answering questions of those who might object. So questions should be answered right here.

FrumiousBandersnatch said:
The evidence is out there if you look for it. I saw a very good PBS documentary recently, describing the evolution of crocodilians, elephants, whales, and birds, from the evidence in the fossil record. What surprised me was the huge diversity of species in the families that were mostly wiped out in global extinctions. What we see today are the select descendants of the few species to survive those cataclysms.

Based on that documentary, the best evolutionary fossil sequence seems to be for birds - the fairly recent Chinese discoveries have revealed a huge number of fossils of feathered dinosaurs in various stages of development along the sequence that led to birds. Interesting that most of the features we associate with bird flight were actually present well before flight evolved, e.g. lightweight & hollow bones, 'wishbone', clawed & feathered forelimbs, even the shoulder girdle and 'flight stroke' motion.

It can be shown then if there is fossil evidence from species to species with every species in between, so that there is more than connecting animals according to analogous parts.

The following from the Transitional Vertebrate Fossils FAQ that I was referred to makes the points that there are fossils for transition between species, showing speciation, which I already accept, and fossils for transition between higher categories, with gaps in places. I can see gaps might happen even with millions of fossils already found, if evolution is being shown, aren't there any exceptions that show progression from species to species through higherer categories without the gaps of species, or is there no exception anywhere and all examples have gaps of missing species?

"General lineage":

This is a sequence of similar genera or families, linking an older group to a very different younger group. Each step in the sequence consists of some fossils that represent a certain genus or family, and the whole sequence often covers a span of tens of millions of years. A lineage like this shows obvious morphological intermediates for every major structural change, and the fossils occur roughly (but often not exactly) in the expected order. Usually there are still gaps between each of the groups -- few or none of the speciation events are preserved. Sometimes the individual specimens are not thought to be directly ancestral to the next-youngest fossils (i.e., they may be "cousins" or "uncles" rather than "parents"). However, they are assumed to be closely related to the actual ancestor, since they have intermediate morphology compared to the next-oldest and next-youngest "links". The major point of these general lineages is that animals with intermediate morphology existed at the appropriate times, and thus that the transitions from the proposed ancestors are fully plausible. General lineages are known for almost all modern groups of vertebrates, and make up the bulk of this FAQ.

"Species-to-species transition":
This is a set of numerous individual fossils that show a change between one species and another. It's a very fine-grained sequence documenting the actual speciation event, usually covering less than a million years. These species-to-species transitions are unmistakable when they are found. Throughout successive strata you see the population averages of teeth, feet, vertebrae, etc., changing from what is typical of the first species to what is typical of the next species. Sometimes, these sequences occur only in a limited geographic area (the place where the speciation actually occurred), with analyses from any other area showing an apparently "sudden" change. Other times, though, the transition can be seen over a very wide geological area. Many "species-to-species transitions" are known, mostly for marine invertebrates and recent mammals (both those groups tend to have good fossil records), though they are not as abundant as the general lineages (see below for why this is so). Part 2 lists numethe transition can be seen over a very wide geological area. Many "species-to-species transitions" are known, mostly for marine invertebrates and recent mammals (both those groups tend to have good fossil records), though they are not as abundant as the general lineages (see below for why this is so). Part 2 lists numerous species-to-species transitions from the mammals.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Of course categories are constructed by people, not something naturally there, but categories of life are still thought of with real basis. This is irrelevant to what I am asking.

Both the categories and the criteria used to define them are completely arbitrary. Your question assumes they are not.

That is where the disconnect lies.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
... It can be shown then if there is fossil evidence from species to species with every species in between, so that there is more than connecting animals according to analogous parts.
Sorry, I can't make sense of that. Perhaps you could rephrase it more clearly?

The following from the Transitional Vertebrate Fossils FAQ that I was referred to makes the points that there are fossils for transition between species, showing speciation, which I already accept, and fossils for transition between higher categories, with gaps in places. I can see gaps might happen even with millions of fossils already found, if evolution is being shown, aren't there any exceptions that show progression from species to species through higherer categories without the gaps of species, or is there no exception anywhere and all examples have gaps of missing species?
Populations in nature change continually; we categorise populations of a single original species into separate species when we feel that the differences between them are significant enough to justify treating them separately. Fossils are snapshots of a few creatures at some moment in time, so although you may be able to tell that they clearly belong to a particular family, the precise relationship and how many forms between the various examples you find might be sufficiently different to dub 'species', is often impossible to say.

Upvote 0

xianghua

Feb 14, 2017
tel aviv
✟111,555.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
"Species-to-species transition":

i just want to say that the fact that we can arrange objects in hierarchy doesnt prove they evolved from each other. as we can see here:

european-commercial-vehicles-lineup-high-quality-illustration-box-truck-full-size-van-compact-panel-van-white-background-89980422.jpg

(image from Lineup Truck Stock Illustrations – 16 Lineup Truck Stock Illustrations, Vectors & Clipart - Dreamstime)

even if such trucks were able to reproduce like a living thing it will not prove evolution. on the other hand many fossils dont fit with the evolution hierarchy like this one:

New dinosaur found in the wrong place, at the wrong time

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
i just want to say that the fact that we can arrange objects in hierarchy doesnt prove they evolved from each other. as we can see here:

european-commercial-vehicles-lineup-high-quality-illustration-box-truck-full-size-van-compact-panel-van-white-background-89980422.jpg

(image from Lineup Truck Stock Illustrations – 16 Lineup Truck Stock Illustrations, Vectors & Clipart - Dreamstime)

even if such trucks were able to reproduce like a living thing it will not prove evolution. on the other hand many fossils dont fit with the evolution hierarchy like this one:

But it is evidence for evolution when one has a testable hypothesis. Your misuse of the word "prove" indicates that you do not even understand the basics of science. How about we go over the concepts of the scientific method and scientific evidence? Understanding the basics can only make you a better debater.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

Still flip-flopping between arguments, eh?

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist

even if such trucks were able to reproduce like a living thing it will not prove evolution.
This is true. But trucks don't reproduce in populations with heritable variation, and evolution is not a proof, it's both a fact and a theory. So your comment is either a straw man or a red herring, or both.

..on the other hand many fossils dont fit with the evolution hierarchy like this one:

You've misinterpreted the conclusions of the paper - the fossil indicates that those creatures were around earlier than previous data had suggested - it doesn't mean the previous hierarchy is wrong (though it could be), it changes the timescale for that part.

It's just science in progress - new data causing revision and refinement of previous models. This is par for the course in complex domains with limited data.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
first:this isnt testable and second: are you saying that we cant prove things in science?
You misunderstand. The observation is evidence for evolution. We could observe life that does not fit a nested hierarchy. That we see all life fitting into a nested hierarchy is therefore strong evidence for evolution.

And as to the word prove, didn't you notice the use of scare quotes?

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Both the categories and the criteria used to define them are completely arbitrary. Your question assumes they are not.
That is where the disconnect lies.

So as you say, families in biological classification are meaningless. In communication with you I will still hold you to this quote.

It can be shown then if there is fossil evidence from species to species with every species in between, so that there is more than connecting animals according to analogous parts.
Sorry, I can't make sense of that. Perhaps you could rephrase it more clearly?

That fossil evidence is showing the change of the body parts in a continuous way.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
So as you say, families in biological classification are meaningless. In communication with you I will still hold you to this quote.
"Arbitrary" and "meaningless" are not synonyms.

That fossil evidence is showing the change of the body parts in a continuous way.
That fossil evidence is consistent with the change of body parts in a continuous way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Reducing what I say to simply "God did it" is a simplistic dismissal. I have not actually said anywhere that the discussion was about what science answers. There was dismissal of what I say with my belief (to say it nicely) as though it is an uneducated or uninformed position. Though not saying it is a scientific approach, it is an approach with logic, which I have been seeking to show, and what science does not address is no justification to dismiss that understanding.

I understand. I do not have the incentive to have a well worded critique published for objecting to any other position. I can just try to show what objections I have in my own words. I have seen materials from scientists who are creationist, though I think they are a very small minority, being a scientist and being creationist is not mutually exclusive. I see that there is nothing to explain the universe existing, with all the physical parameters exactly right for it to be a universe that can function with any life in it, if it came from a tiny existence from a big bang at its start. It is so unlikely that all the parameters would be just like that, but they are. There are ideas for it but no less valid than understanding there is necessary being with inherent power and intelligence, without being limited, as necessary being, beyond all the universe.

For evolution specifically, there are millions of fossils now. This was not the case in Charles Darwin's time, when he said that there would be enough fossils to show the transitions in biological evolution eventually. Now there is transition of microevolution that we know about. But that is not the same thing. So I ask about what transitions are known from any among the millions of fossils, that adequately show transition between greater groups, not just examples of speciation. I do not know of any being found that certainly show that, which should be the case if there is evolution, that would show it.

There are transitionals that bridge fish to amphibians, amphibians to reptiles, reptiles to birds and reptiles to mammals, if this is what you mean.

Here are a handful of the more popular sequences.

Screenshot_20201208-141753.png

Screenshot_20201208-142037.png

Screenshot_20201208-142006.png

Screenshot_20201208-142612.png

Screenshot_20201208-141905.png

Screenshot_20201208-141941.png

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
Depends what you're prepared to accept as 'continuous'. Being made of fossilised individuals, the record is inevitably discontinuous.

But we do have numerous sequences of intermittent fossil 'snapshots' showing the sequential development of traits in temporal order in similar creatures. When there is a consistent sequence of development in multiple traits of similar fossils over evolutionary timescales, inferring a lineage relationship is the best-fit explanation.

By analogy, if you saw a series of intermittent snapshots of an individual developing from birth to old age, each showing the same unique face and body characteristics with accumulated identifying scars, moles, tattoos, etc., you would infer that they showed the development of a single individual.

The fossil record is a little more complicated than the single individual analogy because it contains representatives of groups of creatures more or less closely related to the lineage in question, but the evidence is sufficiently strong for multiple lineages and parts of lineages to put it beyond reasonable doubt - and it is consistent with patterns of development predicted by evolutionary theory and the genetic mechanisms that underlie it.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

I never said they were meaningless. That's a complete misinterpretation of what I was saying. Biological classifications absolutely have meaning; it's just that we (as humans) are defining that meaning.

When I talk about classifications being arbitrary, I'm talking about that with respect to the inherent biology of the organisms. Organisms do not come with their species, genus, family, etc, stamped on their undersides. We are assigning those classifications. And if we wanted to, we could come up with completely different classification systems.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
When I talk about classifications being arbitrary, I'm talking about that with respect to the inherent biology of the organisms. Organisms do not come with their species, genus, family, etc, stamped on their undersides. We (as humans) are assigning those classifications. And if we wanted to, we could come up with completely different classification systems.
I think it is worth pointing out to those unfamiliar with evolutionary theories and classification systems that the present system is the one we feel best able to reflect relationships between organisms. Other classification systems we might consider classifications based on:
  • how suitable the organisms were for food, in terms of nourishment, ease of acquisition, cost, etc.
  • how suitable they would be as pets
  • how suitable they would be as photographic subjects
  • how suitable they would be as beasts of burden
  • etc.
It is this range of possible classification systems that is an additional reason for why we describe the one we use as arbitrary.

Upvote 0

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I never said they were meaningless. That's a completely misinterpretation of what I was saying. Biological classifications absolutely have meaning; it's just that we (as humans) are defining that meaning.

When I talk about classifications being arbitrary, I'm talking about that with respect to the inherent biology of the organisms. Organisms do not come with their species, genus, family, etc, stamped on their undersides. We (as humans) are assigning those classifications. And if we wanted to, we could come up with completely different classification systems.

I was involved in a discussion on abortion just recently. And the person I was speaking to kept saying something like "scientifically, human life begins at conception".

And naturally, I'm sure you can see where this is going, I said, that "human life" is something we, the observer, assign to the embryo. But a second prior or a second after that moment of conception, in a biological sense, the physical reality of the embryo hasn't really changed much, if at all.

And so I responded further with this question of, how do we know that this moment of conception, is the moment in which God actually created human life? As opposed to a moment in which people simply decide to start calling an embryo "human".

Yes, maybe the embryo is genetically unique from it's parents, being a combination of genes from each, but did God create life in this moment? Or is it simply the recombination of already living physical matter, that we, the observers, simply slapped a label on?

Anyway, I think people just confuse the reality of a horse, with the "title" "horse", that we simply assign to it, for ease of discussion.

Reactions: pitabread
Upvote 0