VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Impressive credentials, but lacks the discipline needed to address my theory, which would be the study of the nerve (or other) pathways involved in the brain/emotion cycle. In my reading I haven't found such a study.

You have placed yourself, imo, in the same camp as the one who stated that the only function of the heart is to pump blood. Probably because that is the only function that can be observed.​

You have no ”theory”, just empty assertions.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Design is a plan from which something is created or fabricated. Just reverse engineer the human hand and you'll see the plan (many such diagrams are available).

How exactly does one reverse engineer the human hand? What "plan" are you referring to?

I'm only trying to persuade you and others that I believe that we were designed, and not the result of happenstance.

Then why do you keep projecting as to why science hasn't reached the same conclusions you have?

• Optimistic
Reactions: tas8831
Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Impressive credentials, but lacks the discipline needed to address my theory, which would be the study of the nerve (or other) pathways involved in the brain/emotion cycle. In my reading I haven't found such a study.

You have placed yourself, imo, in the same camp as the one who stated that the only function of the heart is to pump blood. Probably because that is the only function that can be observed.​
Unanswered questions do not constitute a theory. You currently do not have a theory. You do not even seem to have a testable hypothesis. What reasonable test would refute your idea if it was wrong? If you cannot come up with a test you only have a WAG.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How exactly does one reverse engineer the human hand? What "plan" are you referring to?

The same way mechanical devices are reverse engineered; you disassemble it, to see how it works. Didn't De Vinci do this?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Unanswered questions do not constitute a theory. You currently do not have a theory. You do not even seem to have a testable hypothesis. What reasonable test would refute your idea if it was wrong? If you cannot come up with a test you only have a WAG.

THEORY | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary

[ C ] a statement of an opinion or an explanation of an idea that is believed to be true, but might be wrong:

You guys have been attacking my theory as if it were presented as a scientific one. It's just an idea, nothing more.

• Haha
Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
The same way mechanical devices are reverse engineered; you disassemble it, to see how it works.

Okay, so you can see how it works. What does that have to do with how the human hand was designed?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
THEORY | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary

[ C ] a statement of an opinion or an explanation of an idea that is believed to be true, but might be wrong:

You guys have been attacking my theory as if it were presented as a scientific one. It's just an idea, nothing more.
Inappropriate dictionary to appeal to. Since we are discussing the sciences one needs to use a scientific theory, not a "theory" as used by a layman. The sort of "theory" that you used is the kind that earns the epithet "only a theory". That does not apply to scientific theories. The bar is much much higher for them.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You're begging the question. How does complexity indicate design?

And how are you measuring complexity? What does "too complex" mean?

Would you agree that it's too complex for science to explain?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Complexity is a mathematical concept. No appeal to complexity is any good without the math to back it up.

Evolution can supply that; steps and processes needed for hand (and all connections) to evolve.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Inappropriate dictionary to appeal to. Since we are discussing the sciences one needs to use a scientific theory, not a "theory" as used by a layman. The sort of "theory" that you used is the kind that earns the epithet "only a theory". That does not apply to scientific theories. The bar is much much higher for them.

I don't think you and others are going to allow ID to be such a theory.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Would you agree that it's too complex for science to explain?

No, I don't agree with that. Especially since there is a scientific explanation.

Meanwhile, you didn't answer my questions.

How does complexity indicate design?
How are measuring complexity?
What does "too complex" mean?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, I don't agree with that. Especially since there is a scientific explanation.

Meanwhile, you didn't answer my questions.

How does complexity indicate design?
How are measuring complexity?
What does "too complex" mean?

The hand appears to have been designed. What more is needed?

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
The hand appears to have been designed. What more is needed?

A lot more. You need a coherent explanation as to how you arrived at that conclusion.

Why are you having trouble providing that explanation?

Upvote 0