St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
or perhaps it is true, but not supposed to be taken literally (however you define "literally") ......
Certainly that is the most likely, especially if you take the opinion of the majority of Christians into account.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Nah, there is an even simpler reason: some people just don't find the Bible that compelling.
like all of us once were, dead in our transgressions and sin - nothing compelling us.... except maybe greed, desire for power or possessions, et al .....

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
....hmmm.....
"no matter what"......

even if truth ? ..... or perhaps it is true, but not supposed to be taken literally (however you define "literally") ......

I think most argument against believing the Bible is just because of rebellion, not fact.

The rebellion might be mostly because of what little children were taught by their mommy and daddy.
The problem is that the evidence is so clear that it could only mean that God lied if the creation myth were true. But if somehow by some miracle the evidence could be shown to be wrong, and that is all but impossible with mountains of evidence supporting only one side, I could change my mind. But seriously how is that going to happen? All of the so called creation "scientist" that I have ever seen are either cowards or incompetent. None of them will put their ideas to the test and therefore cannot claim to have any evidence for them.

And no, practically no one goes against the Bible due to rebellion, at least not for long. They do so because they find far too much of it to be false. Bad science, bad morals, bad history. It still has some good lessons to be learned but there is a lot of chaff in with the grain.

• Agree
Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The creation account in Genesis cannot be interpreted to mean the continuation of evolution of air breathing species, including man, as the 'dry land' part of the earth was under water.
That is right, many Christians look at it just as a morality tale. A story that teaches a moral or morals but is not based upon reality. There is no need to believe the obvious myths in the Bible to be a Christian. In fact trying to claim that the Bible is flawless amounts to doing the same as making it a "graven image". An activity banned in the Ten Commandments. Do you remember the old vampire movies where a Bible would force vampires away? That is treating it as a magic talisman. That is not what it is for according to the Bible itself. What many literalists do amounts to the same thing.

• Agree
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
As usual, if not always, the majority is wrong. Does that change things ?
No, you think the majority is wrong, and that doesn't change anything. You don't own the Bible and are in no position to dictate to other Christians what they must believe about it.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
No, you think the majority is wrong, and that doesn't change anything. You don't own the Bible and are in no position to dictate to other Christians what they must believe about it.
If as it seems you are wrong, then you are wrong.

Your opinion does not change what I posted.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

If there is one thing I've learned from creationists on this forum, it's that all of them appear to think they are God.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
....hmmm.....
"no matter what"......

even if truth ? ..... or perhaps it is true, but not supposed to be taken literally (however you define "literally") ......

I think most argument against believing the Bible is just because of rebellion, not fact.

The rebellion might be mostly because of what little children were taught by their mommy and daddy.

Truth can be demonstrated, with something other than personal opinion.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
If there is one thing I've learned from creationists on this forum, it's that all of them appear to think they are God.
Jesus said to Jews, does not TORAH say "you are all gods" ?
and then also
once born again we are created in the image of God..... to live with Him eternally...
starting as soon as we are born of Him, new creations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Jesus said to Jews, does not TORAH say "you are all gods" ?
and then also
once born again we are created in the image of God..... to live with Him eternally...
starting as soon as we are born of Him, new creations.

Sure.

Upvote 0

TBDude65

Fossil Finder (TM)
Dec 26, 2016
Tennessee
✟26,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You answered my questions with non-answers. I'm waiting for real answers. To wit: How developed must an organism be before evolution is possible? And how does this development occur? And isn't this 'development' actually evolution without the means of evolution?
As I noted, I can't answer your questions until I know what you consider to be "life"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Why the confusion around that issue?
It's not confusion. It's that there is no "hard line" between non-life and life; it's a matter of definition. For example, I gather that some scientists have hypothesized that semi-living organisms were capable of replication with variation (and thus capable of evolving) before developing to the point that they possessed the full suite of characteristics which we say define "life." Something like modern viruses, perhaps.

• Agree
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0