Visit site
✟118,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
There is a thread discussing evolution, and any discussion of it can be directed to that thread. Here I'm eliciting opinions to see the makeup of the board, hopefully anonymously if I can figure out how to do polls correctly. Of course, the poll presumes that you are a faithful Orthodox Christian. These options are not exhaustive (of course, some combinations are generally mutually exclusive), but I'm hoping to get some idea of what people think about the age of the Earth, whether there was a historic Adam and a historic Fall, whether plants, animals or humans died before the Fall, and various other questions. Feel free to add onto your views here. I would appreciate, however, if there is no debate. Clarifying questions are fine, but not "pointed" or "gotcha" questions.

The options are admittedly imperfect. Feel free to write your own.

EDIT: The forum didn't like my poll - stay tuned for a better one, but it will be external.

Last edited:

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Last edited:
Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm not that knowledgeable on this subject (haven't really researched a bunch and only started to find it interesting from the convos here and on FB the past couple years on this subject), but I did do the survey.

Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Thank you all for your responses so far. It looks like we're getting a good representation of views. Let me know if there's anything more you wish were asked or anything that should be altered - it's probably too late now to add any new questions, but there's always the future.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Interesting project. Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Ditto - I appreciated the questions and many thanks for taking the time to do so:)

Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Once again, thank you all for the responses. As I said, this is purely for entertainment purposes, so don't draw any conclusions from it. If you're not entertained, I am indeed sorry.

At the very least, though, it lets people see that there are other people like you around, whatever your views are. And I think most people would profit by thinking, at least once in their life, about whether or not plants could die before the Fall of Man. And how certain they are of their answer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You just can't resist coming after me, can you, Columba? Why don't I start a thread called "Columba TKO's Gurney" and you can just go for it and wail away on me, drop your gloves and put on the brass knuckles. Again, please put me on ignore or just try to control your need to play foil to me.

I was merely making it clear that I found the idea of filling out the survey to not have much of a point. Am I allowed to say that or have you, Columba, become supreme mod who is saying that I MUST find the survey to be an edifying, important experience?

If you came onto a thread about voting and said that you felt voting for Republicans and Democrats was a waste of time, would I come on with the smart mouth comment, "gee, Columba, you just wasted time in telling us that voting is a waste of time. Hee hee, gotcha! Now look how smart I sound?!" would that accomplish anything? Have you ever in your life said something was a waste of time? Yes or No? ;) And couldn't anyone tell you the exact same thing trying to be ironic? If you want to be a sarcastic shadow, you're welcome to, but I find it annoying, and unnecessary.
More pointless than taking the time to let us know how pointless something is?

Upvote 0

Columba7

Apr 7, 2014
✟15,249.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You just can't resist coming after me, can you, Columba? Why don't I start a thread called "Columba TKO's Gurney" and you can just go for it and wail away on me, drop your gloves and put on the brass knuckles. Again, please put me on ignore or just try to control your need to play foil to me.
Because I am constantly coming after you? As I have said before, Gurney, it isn't personal. I truly do find a lot of your comments worthy of critique and objection.

I was merely making it clear that I found the idea of filling out the survey to not have much of a point. Am I allowed to say that or have you, Columba, become supreme mod who is saying that I MUST find the survey to be an edifying, important experience?
You can say whatever you want, but I don't think it is very kind to come into a forum just to say you think an interesting survey that GZT put time and energy into is a waste of time. I'm not telling you what to do, only criticizing what you have done. Am I not allowed to object to people's statements?

If you came onto a thread about voting and said that you felt voting for Republicans and Democrats was a waste of time, would I come on with the smart mouth comment, "gee, Columba, you just wasted time in telling us that voting is a waste of time. Hee hee, gotcha! Now look how smart I sound?!" would that accomplish anything? Have you ever in your life said something was a waste of time? Yes or No? ;) And couldn't anyone tell you the exact same thing trying to be ironic? If you want to be a sarcastic shadow, you're welcome to, but I find it annoying, and unnecessary.
Unfortunately the issue isn't that simple. First of all I (hopefully) wouldn't leave a statement at just that. I would explain WHY I found voting to be a waste of time, which would be rooted in the important issue of how broken the US political system is. That is what would make saying US electoral voting is a waste of time worth mentioning. It leads to discussion of issues that are actually important. My question, then, is what makes taking the time to come into the forum and tell GZT his poll is a waste of time worthwhile? Do you see this issue as on the level of US politics? In my opinion, what you have done is more akin to walking up to someone's science project and telling them you won't take the time to learn about it because you think it would be a waste of time. Why not move along without saying anything?

Forgive me if I have offended you. I am not out to get you. I was truly troubled by how you approached this issue, and am more than willing to listen if you think I am in the wrong, but can we please do so without snide remarks and sarcasm?

Upvote 0