✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by randman

No, you haven't even proved they are pictures of sign-osts at all. Note how I ask you to simply sting together 4-5 species surrounding the most famous so-called transitional ever, and you come back with.

IT IS A TRANSITION BETWEEN WHOLE PHYLA, AND WE DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE SPECIES!

If I show you pictures of arctic ice, temperate lands, and sun-baked desert, do I need to show mileposts to indicate that a transition apparently occurred?

The analogy, *IF YOU UNDERSTOOD IT*, would show you why your question is stupid. You're looking at the wrong level of detail.

Furthermore, frankly, I think you *DO* understand it; no one is that stupid. This is simply an attempt to keep raising the bar until the proof can't be provided. You know full well why "adjacent" species are not the interesting case; it's because the *interesting* case is this:

THERE WERE REPTILES, AND NO BIRDS.

THEN THERE WAS A THING SIMILAR TO A REPTILE, BUT WITH BIRD CHARACTERISTICS.

THEN THERE WERE BIRDS.

No explanation other than "the thing chronologically and morphologically between the reptiles and the birds was a transitional state" can be said to make *sense*.

Upvote 0

Satoshi

Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟774.00
Originally posted by LouisBooth
so then by you telling me (well Z) telling me this list means nothing then either. Thanks Sat.
Oh dear, you seem to be deliberately misunderstanding me. While the list is anything but meaningless, the whole of Evolution does not stand or fall on a single example of descent.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by npetreley

Okay, here's a reasonable explanation for you.

Look over here. This is a chimp.

Look over there. That's a man.

The man's name is Joe Chimp, but there's no relation.

That's not a particularly good explanation. Where were the other birds before archeoptryx? Why did they all choose to leave no fossils until some period after the alleged transition?

With humans, we can map the whole hominid tree in reasonable detail; we can show you the branches and everything, because it's *recent*.

Upvote 0

Okay, here's a reasonable explanation for you.

Look over here. This is a chimp.

Look over there. That's a man.

The man's name is Joe Chimp, but there's no relation.

... no matter what the paternity tests & the geneaological research from the tombstones, county birh & death certificates, etc. might say..

Upvote 0

randman

May 28, 2002
Visit site
✟1,433.00
"We have reptiles for millions of years, and *EVENTUALLY* we see birds - but never birds that predate archeoptryx."

Actually, this is incorrect, but it is not germane to the discussion. Archy can have birds before him, and he could have not evolved at all, and the evolutionist would still claim he is transitional. Their model is so elastic as to include any data that could possible come along, and over the years, you will see it change and adapt.

You hear people speak of well if this was found, evolution could be doubted, but they said the same thing if massive numbers of transitional/intermediary fossils were not found, or if some species never evolved at all, but as these things happened, they juist shifted and moved on.

There is absolutely nothing that can be discovered that the imagination cannot plausibly find a way to fit into an evolutionary model.

Also, once again, your analogy is flawed. We are finding fossils of distinct and separate species, not pictures of the same guy. You are assuming they are all pictures of the same guy, but that is a blatantly false assumption. They are not the same species.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by randman
"We have reptiles for millions of years, and *EVENTUALLY* we see birds - but never birds that predate archeoptryx."

Actually, this is incorrect, but it is not germane to the discussion. Archy can have birds before him, and he could have not evolved at all, and the evolutionist would still claim he is transitional. Their model is so elastic as to include any data that could possible come along, and over the years, you will see it change and adapt.

You hear people speak of well if this was found, evolution could be doubted, but they said the same thing if massive numbers of transitional/intermediary fossils were not found, or if some species never evolved at all, but as these things happened, they juist shifted and moved on.

There is absolutely nothing that can be discovered that the imagination cannot plausibly find a way to fit into an evolutionary model.

Also, once again, your analogy is flawed. We are finding fossils of distinct and separate species, not pictures of the same guy. You are assuming they are all pictures of the same guy, but that is a blatantly false assumption. They are not the same species.

As has already been explained to you, Randman, common descent causes us to expect SOME fossil specimens that appear in a sequence a - b - c, where a is the oldest, c is the newest, b is newer than a, and b shares many of its anatomical features with a and many of its anatomical features with c. Common descent predicts this. It is found, in (for instance) Archaeopteryx. THAT is what is meant by transitional forms, and why transitional forms are good evidence for common descent.

Common descent predicts transitional forms of this kind because it says (among other branches and diversions) that any existing species did evolve step-wise, species by species, from some already existing species of organism. The stochacity of preservation in the fossil record gives us no hope of ever determining a single and complete line of true intermediaries, so we DO NOT expect to see the kind of series you are talking about. You are asking for proof that a particular species is INTERMEDIARY (not merely transitional), and that cannot be done. Nevertheless the evidence from transitional fossils (and busloads and reams and scads of other kinds of evidence) still strongly supports common descent by evolution.

and....

I will try a different approach. Instead of showing you how Archaeopteryx supports common descent, I will tell you why it doesn't support creationism.

Creationism does not predict the existence of an organism like Archaeopteryx. Before it was found, no one, based on a creationist model, would ever predict that there would be a flying dinosaur with bird features, or a bird with a therapod tail, head, teeth, etc.

Creationism makes no prediction about what part of the geological column a creature like Archaeopteryx would be found in.

Common descent predicts that there MUST have been creatures like Archaeopteryx. Common descent predicts that they must follow the dinosuars in the geological column.

When Archaeopteryx is found, then, that is 2 points for common descent, zero for special creation.

Common descent does not predict how frequently we will be able to unearth creatures like Archaeopteryx, or whether its immediate ancestors and descendents will be unearthed. It says that its immediate ancestors MUST have existed (the law of biogenesis says this too), but it does not say whether they will be turned up. The fact that they are not recovered does nothing to discredit evolution.

Furthermore, Archaeopteryx is the closing pitcher in a game that evolution has already won. The OTHER evidence (fossil, biogeographic, morphological, etc...) had already confirmed evolution to a degree of confidence that discovery of Archaeopteryx wasn't even a surprise to many.

If you are interested in evolution, learn about it from the basics of biology on up to whatever level you care to take it to. Coming in at the end of the game and insulting the pitcher doesn't change the score.

Upvote 0
Fossils

...have always been a thorn in the side of creationism. First of all, extinct creatures shouldn't even exist in a perfect Creation, since their very extinction implies that they were not so perfect. And there are so darn many of them, of so many different kinds. Every excuse they come up with for why there even are fossils of extinct organisms makes creationists look silly. And the very fact that they've come up with so many different, mutually exclusive explanations would seem to indicate that, essentially, they're clueless. I have personally been offered all these sound, creation-scientific explanations of what fossils are and how they got there:

Dinosaurs were too big to go on the Ark, so they got buried in the mud of the Flood.(How about extinct smaller creatures--and what about the "fact" that Noah collected pairs of all animals?)

Extinct creatures were on the Ark. They died out later. (How many seismosaurs, T. rexes, mastodons, and megatheria can you fit on the head of a pin?)

Fossils never were animals. They're a hoax by Satan and/or materialistic science.

Fossils never were animals. They're a hoax by God to test your faith. (And I will go to hell for falling for a trick pulled by the Almighty Himself? Doesn't that seem just a bit petty?)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Transitional Fossils

...can't possibly exist, since nothing ever gradually evolved into anything else. Less sophisticated creationists handle the issue by merely spouting the slogan "There are no transitional fossils". They heard that from a good born-again fundamentalist, so it must be true--no further research necessary. The few who are vaguely aware of the vast range of fossils that have been found, including beautiful examples of transitional series, merely draw lines: everything on that side of the line is ape, and everything on this side is human. If another fossil turns up with features exactly between the two, no problem--just assign it to one side or the other. No matter how fine the gradation, creationists will never admit seeing transition, because they know ahead of time that it can't exist. Amusingly, however, in series such as the hominid line leading to us, different creationist "experts" draw the line between ape and human in different places!

Upvote 0
Unusual Babies

...with such birth anomalies as being born with a tail, or covered with fur. Tails are more common than most people realize, since they are, of course, surgically removed immediately, and often the child himself is never told. For furry people, refer to the famous Mexican family, several of whom are circus performers. These would, of course, be some of the "throwbacks" which creationists assert must, of course, occur if evolution is real. But since evolution is, of course, not true, the good creationist, upon being presented the very evidence he demanded, will, of course, not be fazed in the slightest. Of course. A small footnote: back in the good old days, when everyone was a literal-creationist, and religion was science (known as the Dark Ages, with good cause), such babies were identified as the spawn of Satan, and killed instantly, along with their mothers, who were, naturally, witches.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by seebs

That's not a particularly good explanation. Where were the other birds before archeoptryx? Why did they all choose to leave no fossils until some period after the alleged transition?

That only poses a problem if you believe in evolution. It's incredibly simple for creation, and I can sum it up with the same kind of simple answer:

Where were the other cars before the first one was built? Why didn't they leave behind any fenders?

We could go on like this forever, but you should know by now that there's a perfectly simple creation explanation for everything you imagine happened as evolution.

Upvote 0

That only poses a problem if you believe in evolution. It's incredibly simple for creation, and I can sum it up with the same kind of simple answer:

Where were the other cars before the first one was built? Why didn't they leave behind any fenders?

We could go on like this forever, but you should know by now that there's a perfectly simple creation explanation for everything you imagine happened as evolution.

Why did God wait until after the therapods to create birds? Why did God make something that was anatomically 3/4 bird and 1/4 therapod dinosaur?

Not: why were there no birds before birds were created, butr: why did God create birds AFTER therapod dinosaurs, a little before He created creatures that were 3/4 bird and 1/4 therapod dinosaur?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Really? Please explain vericose veins, wisdom teeth (because our jaws are too small for the rest of our teeth), weak human ankles, a human chest cavity made for horizontal posture, pinky toes, goose bumps, extreme difficulty in childbirth, arthritis and a billion other features that are explained through evolution.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Hmm. So, why exactly did God make species that we've never seen except in fossils? Are you saying He lies to us?

Upvote 0
An argument, which I have heard from several sources now, is to "believe that evolution happened, and is indeed still happening, but who is to say that God didn't direct it? Erin 23 Oct 1998, 11:48:29. (Sorry, that last link has died; I don't know where it went.) This question was also raised to Bill Nye (the science guy) at the 1999 AAAS meeting.

There are at least two possibilities on closer inspection:

To believe this is to completely misunderstand the mechanism of evolution. That is, it denies that there is molecular DNA variation (caused by errors in copying from thermal noise, base tautomerization, UV crosslinking, environmental mutagens, transposons etc!) and selection amongst those variants by environmental factors.

Or, it would mean that (invisible??) God's hand is everywhere, breeding all species at all times. God is specifically killing off stupid people who don't wear seat belts? God is somehow causing the selection of bacteria that I transform in the lab? One out of 20 thousand bacteria will pick up a plasmid (ring of DNA). God picked them? There is no visible mechanism here and none is needed to explain the observed facts! (Do people really think that they were bred like dogs?)

Upvote 0