Nov 23, 2013
✟293,810.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone listened to the Evolution 101 podcast? It's a great resource if you aren't that informed on evolution. It's easy to understand and explains the key aspects of evolution well.

You can listen to it here: https://player.fm/series/evolution-101

Scroll down to the bottom of the list for the earlier episodes.

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,629.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Has anyone listened to the Evolution 101 podcast? It's a great resource if you aren't that informed on evolution. It's easy to understand and explains the key aspects of evolution well.

You can listen to it here: https://player.fm/series/evolution-101

Scroll down to the bottom of the list for the earlier episodes.
Thanks Kylie :)
OB

Reactions: Kylie
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟236,525.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I'm not a fan of podcasts or YouTube videos, but my FB friend Bill Ludlow does a bangup job addressing Creationist nonsense on his YouTube channel.
Education, both formal and informal, is changing in several ways. One might bemoan, as I do, the apparent reduction in attention span of "younger people", the perception that a YouTube video is as valuable (more valuable!) than a research article in Journal of Petrology, but information needs to be acceptable as well as accessible and these "casual" forms of communication can be effective where others fail.

An individual who is not predisposed to take an open minded look at evolution is unlikely to spend many evenings studying a college level textbook. A podcast of this sort may just do the trick.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Occams Barber
Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Excellent link.
evolution on earth doesn't directly relate to the separate issue of God existing in heaven

in my experience, people on the science side of the fence are premature in leaping to the unfounded conclusion that because terrestrial science is true, supra terrestrial Powers can't be real

science is not an excuse for any particular attitudes, values, behaviors, social conventions

as John Archibald Wheeler stated, as our island of knowledge grows so do the shores of our ignorance

never say never, always avoid always

the bible as it has survived to present epoch clearly portrays an evolution like progression of events superficially resembling abiogenesis and evolutionary development of species, all PRECEDING the Garden of Eden episode at the dawn of human history

• Agree
Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟236,525.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
evolution on earth doesn't directly relate to the separate issue of God existing in heaven

in my experience, people on the science side of the fence are premature in leaping to the unfounded conclusion that because terrestrial science is true, supra terrestrial Powers can't be real
I agree completely and wholeheartedly with your first statement.

However, I have reservations about your second statement. I suspect your experience may have given you a biased impression of the attitude of those on the science side of the fence. I suggest that there is a broad spectrum of attitudes, ranging from the hostile, aggressive position of those like Richard Dawkins through to those who have no difficulty at all combining a deep Christian faith with a confident appreciation of the scientific method and its findings.

Part of the difficulty may be that many on the "science side of the fence" really have no business including the word science in their vocabulary. They are the ones to whom we can justifiably apply the accusation that science is just a flawed religious belief system. They have a set of beliefs, accumulated who knows how, that they seek to justify by using their misguided understanding of science. I think they have mirror images on the religion side of the fence. Both parties should be ignored, but then again "when you find someone on the internet who is wrong, you just have to correct them. Dinner can wait!"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Evolution was Gods technique for the creation of life.

But the origin of life is outside of the domain of evolution, which only affects pre-existing life (this according to science).

And, if God is moving the pieces around, it's creation, not evolution. Evolution, as science presents it, is caused by resources within organisms, not outside of them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟652,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
As Ophiolite alluded to, maybe the anti-evolution video, with the young girl correcting the teacher, is subscribing to the idea that effective education for short attention spans is better served by casual and concise forms of communication... no different from how supportive evolution material is presented on podcasts and You Tube videos, short and to the point. Other than that, I would add that the article does bring up some pretty good points regarding evolution. But, before inviting a scientist to a youth group meeting (as suggested in the article), I’d see if he believes in God or not, and how outspoken he is about it? You, don’t want any surprises, one way or the other.

• Friendly
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
As Ophiolite alluded to, maybe the anti-evolution video, with the young girl correcting the teacher, is subscribing to the idea that effective education for short attention spans is better served by casual and concise forms of communication... no different from how supportive evolution material is presented on podcasts and You Tube videos, short and to the point. Other than that, I would add that the article does bring up some pretty good points regarding evolution. But, before inviting a scientist to a youth group meeting (as suggested in the article), I’d see if he believes in God or not, and how outspoken he is about it? You, don’t want any surprises, one way or the other.
In a discourse about evolution, the question of whether God exists or not needn't come up.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but you're talking about a youth group... they're always inquisitive.
If the question comes up it should be answered. But the point should be made that it is irrelevant to the discussion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In a discourse about evolution, the question of whether God exists or not needn't come up.

Unless the discourse takes place on a Christian forum website. ;)

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Theistic Evolution is theoretically possible

If God in heaven exists, and has been intervening into human history on earth in a significant way for significant time, then there would be significant effects we would be able to discern

Heavenly powers may have been (in effect) a "selective pressure" affecting human evolutionary development on earth

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟293,810.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Theistic Evolution is theoretically possible

If God in heaven exists, and has been intervening into human history on earth in a significant way for significant time, then there would be significant effects we would be able to discern

Heavenly powers may have been (in effect) a "selective pressure" affecting human evolutionary development on earth

But given that there's no way to detect such interference, it remains outside the scope of what science tells us about evolution.

And if such interference were detectable, then it would serve as proof of God.

Upvote 0