West of Mississippi
✟417,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It’s a common thought among friends that people do evil things. I’m on her side @Leah Daniels Look at the state of the world now. I think you all like to be disagreeable and judge while doing the same. She obviously doesn’t need my help. If you take it to heart or are intimidated that could be the reasons for your attacks.

isn’t anybody easy going or accepting of another’s feelings. Doesn’t anybody want to understand or minister? People on here seems to want to wipe any evil off the face of the world forever. No getting along just attacks. Yet she is witnessing to you and not hating or anything- that’s love to the atheist and comraderie to the Christian.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
What we are is a people that is still evolving and that evolution has profoundly affected not just our bodies but our psyches as well. The world in which we evolved was a difficult and dagerous one and mere survival was of the highest priority. Selfishness became a part of who we are as a survival mechanism. This selfish instinct is no longer as necessary as in our savage past but it is still powerful. If there is an "Original Sin", this is it. Of course it is not a sin really but an innate part of our nature and it can be overcome.

In the words of Bishop John Spong: "Every living thing, plant and animal is programmed to survive. What is true of all these living things is also true of human life. The only difference is that we human beings are self-conscious, while plants and animals are not. If survival is our highest goal, self-centeredness is inevitable and thus this quality becomes a constant part of the human experience. Traditionally, the church has called this "original sin" and has explained it with the myth of the fall. That was simply wrong. Survival is a quality found in life itself. There was no fall. Self-centered, survival driven, self-conscious creatures is simply who we are. There is thus no such thing as "original sin" from which we need to be rescued by a divine invader. So much of traditional Christianity assumes this false premise."

In conclusion, we are born sinless but we are not born perfect. We have the defect of selfishness and from that flows every other evil --- greed, gluttony, lust, anger, sloth and the like.

Upvote 0

Teamo

Oct 17, 2018
NJ
✟28,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
When the writers of Psalms and Proverbs talked about "mockers" and the "ungodly" they were clearly referring to a specific subset of people, NOT mankind at large.

About 10 percent of people are cluster b personality disordered (psychopath, sociopath, etc.). I think these were the evil people that the writers of the bible were referring to.

They can't be helped or treated because they don't see anything wrong with their actions. In Proverbs and Psalms, the only instruction given to the reader is to steer clear of such people, don't try to help them, don't even greet them on the street.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟417,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Look men @Teamo and @JackRT if you are not following Jesus Christ you are lost. You have no way of knowing these things except they are the thoughts of a man. Jesus was God. He knows he made life offendably simple. His way is the right way. If you believe him you will see and if you don’t you will see too. The thoughts of man are away from God and are leading you astray.

Reactions: Leah Daniels
Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Well, don't let me hold you back from doing what Jesus wants you to do. I am sure you must be very busy allowing homeless people into your home to give them shelter and food and distributing your possessions to help the needy. I don't envy you having to tell your family that you hate them, but if that is what Jesus wants, who am I to argue? Can't say I'm surprised about the family thing though. Jesus was quite rude to his mother when speaking to her.
Best of luck, and watch out for those mines!

Bah! I know plenty of Christians, Jesus would NEVER do any of the stuff you claim.

Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Bah! I know plenty of Christians, Jesus would NEVER do any of the stuff you claim.
"If any man come to Me and hate not his father and mother, and wife and children, and brethren and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple."
Those are the words of Jesus as recorded in the bible.
When Jesus was a young child he disappeared and after three days of searching his distraught parents eventually found him at the temple. When his mother asked him why he had caused them so much distress and worry his attitude was that he had more important things to do than worry about how his parents felt. Not very respectful.
When Jesus was attending a wedding celebration his mother approached him and said that there was no more wine. He replied, "Woman, what has your concern got to do with me?" Not a very respectful way to speak to your mother.
I'll let you discover for yourself where in the bible you can find these incidents. If you are a Christian that shouldn't be a problem for you, but if your not then I'm sure one of those many Christians you say you know will help you out.

Upvote 0

Leah Daniels

Jun 23, 2020
Southlake
✟37,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"If any man come to Me and hate not his father and mother, and wife and children, and brethren and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple."
Those are the words of Jesus as recorded in the bible.
When Jesus was a young child he disappeared and after three days of searching his distraught parents eventually found him at the temple. When his mother asked him why he had caused them so much distress and worry his attitude was that he had more important things to do than worry about how his parents felt. Not very respectful.
When Jesus was attending a wedding celebration his mother approached him and said that there was no more wine. He replied, "Woman, what has your concern got to do with me?" Not a very respectful way to speak to your mother.
I'll let you discover for yourself where in the bible you can find these incidents. If you are a Christian that shouldn't be a problem for you, but if your not then I'm sure one of those many Christians you say you know will help you out.

The first Scripture you quoted means you must love God more than your family. You have to interpret it correctly. Jesus even tells us to love our enemies, therefore you know He doesn't mean hate as in treat them wrong or even hate them at all in your heart. It means obey Him no matter what anyone else has to say about it or how it may appear to others. God is Perfect, and He is Love, so if you love Him first and much more than others, He will help you obey Him from that. That is why you always want to trust the Bible and what the Bible says as the only truth in this world, because He is Perfect, you can trust Him for the best decision as what is the right thing to say or do, every time. Obeying God means basically loving others.

Jesus is God and was God when He was here, He was speaking with the authority He had because of that. He is extremely far above us in power and authority, He made us. He is above us, so it was okay and right for Him to say what He said. When He was found by His parents, and when His mother Mary asked Him to help with the wine. He is perfect, you can always trust that anything He says is not going to be off, insincere, sinful at any moment. That is one of the things that is so desirable about Him. At no moment that He was here was He ever a fake or insincerely completely caring.

Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

Leah Daniels

Jun 23, 2020
Southlake
✟37,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I actually have rearranged my life in a lot of ways (because the Lord Himself helped me do it, all the honor for that belongs to Him) to help others. My life is in a lot of ways all about helping others. I help people who need things and food all the time. I have several people who are allowed to call or text if they need to talk because they have been hurting and needed someone to talk to. I have helped 2 people recently either come to the Lord (find salvation) or get closer to the Lord again, by constantly answering their questions and listening to them talk about their problems. I only have so much time so I can't help as many people as I would like. I have paid many times for others who are homeless to stay in a hotel, and I did let someone stay in my apartment years ago. I'm not able to do that right now, but if God told me to do it I would.

Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

IntriKate

Nov 23, 2019
✟105,464.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Part of walking with Jesus is finding out how good and perfect He is, how merciful and compassionate He is, how loving and kind He is, how desirable He is that you want to do what He says, because you know He deserves it. So it's not like it's some chore all the time, or I begrudgingly do it. I know how precious and beautiful and desirable He is. That is part of why I am afraid of sinning, because I don't like hurting His feelings. He considers sin like someone who is married and commits adultery against their spouse. That is what He says in His Word. Also, He is God and He says what goes. He created us to obey Him, so if you're not going to do things the way His Word says you will end up in hell. He is very serious about that, He has serious standards. But He is worth it. Way more than worth it. His goodness and love and His death on the cross will draw you close to Him and you will be able to do His will and love Him like He wants. He is very beautiful and desirable and it's not undesirable to follow Him at all. It gets better as time goes on. Also, like I said before, I only trust Jesus and what He has said in His Word. What we humans call okay and not sinful, He does not, He calls it an abomination, and so what your personal definition of a good person is may not line up with His. Since He created everything He is the only one with the right opinion. We can't go on our own reasoning, only His.
Well said and I feel the same, all your posts made sense its baffling why anyone would try to twist your word's but rest assured it isn't you who needs to explain.

Reactions: Leah Daniels
Upvote 0

Leah Daniels

Jun 23, 2020
Southlake
✟37,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well said and I feel the same, all your posts made sense its baffling why anyone would try to twist your word's but rest assured it isn't you who needs to explain.

Thank you sister

• Friendly
Reactions: IntriKate
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums