Southlake
✟37,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding;

Matthew 7:13-14 - Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 - Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.

Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone else noticed how many evil people seem to inhabit this Earth? The best I can tell in any given city, you might find a handful of good people. The rest of them are just plain evil, they really are.
Hoping to hear from others with a reasonable level of awareness.
You use a very broad brush and paint the whole world as being inherently "evil".
You say that as a Christian.
Out of a world population of just over seven billion, one third of that population is Christian.
You live in the USA, and state that in any given city you might find a handful of good people, the rest are just plain "evil".
Out of the USA population of over 300 million, two thirds are Christian.
By your reasoning, you will not find many good people in any US city or indeed any other city in the world.
Again, by your reasoning, there must be a great number of "evil" Christians in the world, and many in the city in which you live.
If that is the case, instead of getting on your religious high horse to tell us how "evil" we all are, it would be much better if you as a Christian set about putting your own house in order.

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Leah Daniels

Jun 23, 2020
Southlake
✟37,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You use a very broad brush and paint the whole world as being inherently "evil".
You say that as a Christian.
Out of a world population of just over seven billion, one third of that population is Christian.
You live in the USA, and state that in any given city you might find a handful of good people, the rest are just plain "evil".
Out of the USA population of over 300 million, two thirds are Christian.
By your reasoning, you will not find many good people in any US city or indeed any other city in the world.
Again, by your reasoning, there must be a great number of "evil" Christians in the world, and many in the city in which you live.
If that is the case, instead of getting on your religious high horse to tell us how "evil" we all are, it would be much better if you as a Christian set about putting your own house in order.

But there are a lot of what the Bible calls lukewarm Christians in the US. The church is very lukewarm and evil. If you don't realize this you don't have discernment from God. According to God's Word, there are very few good people. We define what evil is by the Bible, and we agree with the Word, not our own personal reasoning, when we want to find what is true. "Few are chosen"

• Agree
Reactions: IntriKate
Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
But there are a lot of what the Bible calls lukewarm Christians in the US. The church is very lukewarm and evil. If you don't realize this you don't have discernment from God. According to God's Word, there are very few good people. We define what evil is by the Bible, and we agree with the Word, not our own personal reasoning, when we want to find what is true. "Few are chosen"
What a load of tosh. I suppose you are one of the few good people? Self-righteous or what?

Upvote 0

Leah Daniels

Jun 23, 2020
Southlake
✟37,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What a load of tosh. I suppose you are one of the few good people? Self-righteous or what?

The only reason one is godly the way the Bible defines it is if they themselves have been completely honest about their own sin with the Lord, and have asked Him to take it away from them. No believer is better than any unbeliever or even lukewarm believer.

Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The only reason one is godly the way the Bible defines it is if they themselves have been completely honest about their own sin with the Lord, and have asked Him to take it away from them. No believer is better than any unbeliever or even lukewarm believer.
Now you are contradicting yourself. Now you are saying one person is no better than another, whereas before you said some were good and the rest were evil and it didn't seem as though you considered yourself to belong in the latter group of people.
I don't know what kind of life you have but I can only imagine that it must be difficult going through life believing just about everyone is evil.
There are people in the world who do terrible things that most certainly can be called evil, but in my experience, the friends and acquaintances I have made during my life have been good decent people although I doubt I would have been able to make friends and acquaintances if people thought I considered them to be evil.
When I see the negativity you have about the people you share this planet with and the fact that you do so because of a religious belief is yet another reason that makes me glad to be an atheist.

Upvote 0

Leah Daniels

Jun 23, 2020
Southlake
✟37,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Now you are contradicting yourself. Now you are saying one person is no better than another, whereas before you said some were good and the rest were evil and it didn't seem as though you considered yourself to belong in the latter group of people.
I don't know what kind of life you have but I can only imagine that it must be difficult going through life believing just about everyone is evil.
There are people in the world who do terrible things that most certainly can be called evil, but in my experience, the friends and acquaintances I have made during my life have been good decent people although I doubt I would have been able to make friends and acquaintances if people thought I considered them to be evil.
When I see the negativity you have about the people you share this planet with and the fact that you do so because of a religious belief is yet another reason that makes me glad to be an atheist.

I'm only saying what the Bible says. If someone is one that God Himself says is evil or good, then they are. But we are not to think of ourselves as better than someone else. The reason for sharing Scripture is to be able to be of the understanding according to God of what is good and evil, so if you are trying to follow the Lord Jesus Christ, you stay away from anything that He says is evil, and undeceived about what is good and evil in this world, so you live the life He wants you to live correctly. According to the Bible, we are all very evil on our own.

Reactions: IntriKate
Upvote 0

Leah Daniels

Jun 23, 2020
Southlake
✟37,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

And I'd like to say I'm sorry if I have made you feel like I'm better than you, or that any Christian is better than you, because that is absolutely not true. Jesus Himself, as perfect and good as He is, is completely humble, and He is watching me and everything I say, my every move, so I better be humble for real when talking with anyone about Him. I'm actually learning from this, so thank you for saying what you said. I hope you are having a good day. Sorry to sound so arrogant.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,873.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I am more disturbed by the ones who profess belief than those who don’t. I know they’re troubled. But the growing instances of fanaticism, lack of reasoning, and mental delusion are equally disturbing.

Religiosity isn’t a better course. It’s a train wreck.

Yours in His Service,

~bella
What disturbs you exactly about what others have said?

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,873.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Truthfully, it doesn't matter. That isn't my focus or assignment. :)

Yours in His Service,

~bella

In the context of this thread it does matter. Especially if you're saying that of your fellow Christians.

I understand if you don't want to answer, but why make a response in the first place if you're not willing to elaborate or be specific?

Upvote 0

tommy123456

Dec 20, 2020
austin
✟8,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree, that there are mostly evil people. It is hard not to be when the alternative is essentially perfection. I do think that overall the world is actually more good than it used to be. It used to be a very barbaric place compared to now. Now, we at least live through many of the bad things done to us.

Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
And I'd like to say I'm sorry if I have made you feel like I'm better than you, or that any Christian is better than you, because that is absolutely not true. Jesus Himself, as perfect and good as He is, is completely humble, and He is watching me and everything I say, my every move, so I better be humble for real when talking with anyone about Him. I'm actually learning from this, so thank you for saying what you said. I hope you are having a good day. Sorry to sound so arrogant.
No need for you to apologize for thinking what you said made you seem better than me. It didn't, but credit to you for thinking an apology was needed and actually make it.
You said, "He is watching me and everything I say, my every move......."
This seems to me as though you are going through life tiptoeing through a minefield with each mine you may step on being what you see as a failure to uphold the standard expected of you.
It can't be much fun going through life thinking someone is constantly looking over your shoulder to see if you fall short. You are putting too much pressure on yourself and your belief that most people are evil won't ease that pressure.
We all know that people exist who do terrible things that can only be described as evil, but most people are not all evil. We are human beings who make mistakes, who have human failings, but we are not all evil. The best we can do is to learn from our mistakes and not repeat them.
There are people in the world who are prepared to do bad things, but in my life experience, I have found that far more people are prepared to do good.
You don't have to look very far to see the good that people can do and if you concentrated more on the good to be found in people rather than the bad then you might relax a bit more. I wish you well on that.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Evil is identified by malice. As there is a lot of malice in the world there is a lot of evil. People aren't 'evil' unless their every waking thought is malicious. Those who repent of malicious acts or thoughts return to grace.

The irony of course is that simple stupidity, thoughtlessness, and laziness cause more problems than evil ever did. People in high places make evil decisions, and millions follow along with no thought of the consequences. They don't know enough to say no.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I am more disturbed by the ones who profess belief than those who don’t. I know they’re troubled. But the growing instances of fanaticism, lack of reasoning, and mental delusion are equally disturbing.

Religiosity isn’t a better course. It’s a train wreck.

Yours in His Service,

~bella
A few thoughts here:

1) "But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever." --1 Timothy 5:8 Seems as if "professing" belief is not the only thing that matters .

2) There has been academic research on whether religiosity promotes morality. While personal anecdotes can vary wildly, based on what we are exposed to & what we focus on, more general aspects of religion & morality are quite fascinating. The first of the 3 articles I share in this post goes into good detail on this exact question: The Psychology of Religion

To bring this more to the heart of the OP, whether or not people are good or evil has much more to do with the individual than the religion; that was the conclusion of a college project I did on religious fanaticism (which I would share, but it was a presentation that no one recorded). I would be more inclined to say most people are decent, or maybe only halfway-decent, but I would not consider everyone evil. Yet the idea that only a handful are really good people is certainly something I would agree with. Interestingly, this can vary based on situation. I have multiple friends who are really good people until alcohol is involved. I have mixed feelings on how "good" I am overall, but I believe I can be a very good person when it comes to treating women with respect & being a good friend.

To make this much more interesting, I would like to ask you a question, @Reflee : Do you think that you are one of the good people? Or one of the evil?

May God bring something wonderful out of this conversation!:pray:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Leah Daniels

Jun 23, 2020
Southlake
✟37,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No need for you to apologize for thinking what you said made you seem better than me. It didn't, but credit to you for thinking an apology was needed and actually make it.
You said, "He is watching me and everything I say, my every move......."
This seems to me as though you are going through life tiptoeing through a minefield with each mine you may step on being what you see as a failure to uphold the standard expected of you.
It can't be much fun going through life thinking someone is constantly looking over your shoulder to see if you fall short. You are putting too much pressure on yourself and your belief that most people are evil won't ease that pressure.
We all know that people exist who do terrible things that can only be described as evil, but most people are not all evil. We are human beings who make mistakes, who have human failings, but we are not all evil. The best we can do is to learn from our mistakes and not repeat them.
There are people in the world who are prepared to do bad things, but in my life experience, I have found that far more people are prepared to do good.
You don't have to look very far to see the good that people can do and if you concentrated more on the good to be found in people rather than the bad then you might relax a bit more. I wish you well on that.

Part of walking with Jesus is finding out how good and perfect He is, how merciful and compassionate He is, how loving and kind He is, how desirable He is that you want to do what He says, because you know He deserves it. So it's not like it's some chore all the time, or I begrudgingly do it. I know how precious and beautiful and desirable He is. That is part of why I am afraid of sinning, because I don't like hurting His feelings. He considers sin like someone who is married and commits adultery against their spouse. That is what He says in His Word. Also, He is God and He says what goes. He created us to obey Him, so if you're not going to do things the way His Word says you will end up in hell. He is very serious about that, He has serious standards. But He is worth it. Way more than worth it. His goodness and love and His death on the cross will draw you close to Him and you will be able to do His will and love Him like He wants. He is very beautiful and desirable and it's not undesirable to follow Him at all. It gets better as time goes on. Also, like I said before, I only trust Jesus and what He has said in His Word. What we humans call okay and not sinful, He does not, He calls it an abomination, and so what your personal definition of a good person is may not line up with His. Since He created everything He is the only one with the right opinion. We can't go on our own reasoning, only His.

Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Part of walking with Jesus is finding out how good and perfect He is, how merciful and compassionate He is, how loving and kind He is, how desirable He is that you want to do what He says, because you know He deserves it. So it's not like it's some chore all the time, or I begrudgingly do it. I know how precious and beautiful and desirable He is. That is part of why I am afraid of sinning, because I don't like hurting His feelings. He considers sin like someone who is married and commits adultery against their spouse. That is what He says in His Word. Also, He is God and He says what goes. He created us to obey Him, so if you're not going to do things the way His Word says you will end up in hell. He is very serious about that, He has serious standards. But He is worth it. Way more than worth it. His goodness and love and His death on the cross will draw you close to Him and you will be able to do His will and love Him like He wants. He is very beautiful and desirable and it's not undesirable to follow Him at all. It gets better as time goes on. Also, like I said before, I only trust Jesus and what He has said in His Word. What we humans call okay and not sinful, He does not, He calls it an abomination, and so what your personal definition of a good person is may not line up with His. Since He created everything He is the only one with the right opinion. We can't go on our own reasoning, only His.
Well, don't let me hold you back from doing what Jesus wants you to do. I am sure you must be very busy allowing homeless people into your home to give them shelter and food and distributing your possessions to help the needy. I don't envy you having to tell your family that you hate them, but if that is what Jesus wants, who am I to argue? Can't say I'm surprised about the family thing though. Jesus was quite rude to his mother when speaking to her.
Best of luck, and watch out for those mines!

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,312.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Has anyone else noticed how many evil people seem to inhabit this Earth? The best I can tell in any given city, you might find a handful of good people. The rest of them are just plain evil, they really are.
Hoping to hear from others with a reasonable level of awareness.
I'm not able to go where you are. That's especially true for me when watching the bonding love of a mothers with her new born child. Or the father's hand in raising his children and providing for his family. Or the untold number (yet hidden) heart centered empathetic people helping others in need.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I would say that there are a great number of evil "Christians." (Change of quotes)

...it would be much better if you as a Christian set about putting your own house in order.

I regard it as your house, not mine. The godless are godless, regardless of what they call themselves.

Belief in righteousness is not self-righteousness, nor is the belief in one's having achieved it. That's a term bandied about by people who don't know what it means, usually of the type who don't seek after righteousness, nor believe that righteousness exists. To such people, there is no difference between righteousness and self-righteousness. If you have no god, then you attempt to play at being a god by defining righteousness for your self. That would make you self-righteous.

...that makes me glad to be an atheist.

I agree. It leaves me with one less person to apologize for.

Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I would say that there are a great number of evil "Christians." (Change of quotes)

I regard it as your house, not mine. The godless are godless, regardless of what they call themselves.

Belief in righteousness is not self-righteousness, nor is the belief in one's having achieved it. That's a term bandied about by people who don't know what it means, usually of the type who don't seek after righteousness, nor believe that righteousness exists. To such people, there is no difference between righteousness and self-righteousness. If you have no god, then you attempt to play at being a god by defining righteousness for your self. That would make you self-righteous.

I agree. It leaves me with one less person to apologize for.
Reading your post makes me even happier to be an atheist. Thank you for that.
I would be interested to know what is your idea of righteousness.

Upvote 0