Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven."136 There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit.137 Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss.

This, then is the one and only definition for sin, refusing the guidance of The Holy Spirit.

This passage sums up the intended influence of the Holy Spirit:

Jesus declared, “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets depend on these two commandments.Matthew 19 BSB

Here lists the SYMPTOMS of refusing the Holy Spirit. Not specific sins. But only a partial list of SYMPTOMS OF living in rebellion against the Holy Spirit. The symptoms are not listed in order of severity:

19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity, and debauchery; 20 idolatry and sorcery; hatred, discord, jealousy, and rage; rivalries, divisions, factions, 21 and envy; drunkenness, carousing, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

It is critical to note that the harm caused is not hidden. The harm that is caused is obvious to outsiders. According to scripture, the harm is visible.

These symptoms are then contrasted against the symptoms of living in the Holy Spirit:

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no Law.

So, people who live without intentionally sinning will show these symptoms. If these symptoms are not evident, then they are not living in the Spirit of God.

There are many people out there attacking their pet symptoms of Sin, but failing the test of actually "not Sinning" themselves: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

Last edited:

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This, then is the one and only definition for sin, refusing the guidance of The Holy Spirit.
No that is NOT the only definition for sin.
It is the SIN that cannot be forgiven EVER no matter how you try to repent.

As your title says "Every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men ... " except this one.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is the SIN that cannot be forgiven EVER no matter how you try to repent.

As your title says "Every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men ... " except this one.
Correct. Blaspheming the Holy Spirit is a phrase not well communicated in English.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Correct. Blaspheming the Holy Spirit is a phrase not well communicated in English.
And not not that well understood in context by much of the evangelical church world. It gets thrown about on whims and waves of doctrine, rather than letting the context speak.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Reminds me of St Stephen in Acts 7 when he accused the corrupt murderous Judean rulers of resisting the Holy Spirit. Makes me wonder if they even know what that was?
It is also where we first meet Saul/Paul.........
Acts 7:
51 Ye stiff-necked people with uncircumcised hearts and ears!
Ye always resist the Holy Spirit, just as your fathers did.
52 Which of the prophets did your fathers fail to persecute? They even killed those who foretold the coming of the Righteous One.
And now you are His betrayers and murderers
53 you who have received the Law ordained by angels, yet have not kept it.”
57 At this they covered their ears, cried out in a loud voice, and rushed together at him.
58 They dragged him out of the city and began to stone him.
Meanwhile, the witnesses laid their garments at the feet of a young man named Saul.

Revelation 9:21
And not they reform out of their murders, nor out from their sorceries,...........
Revelation 14:11
And the smoke of the tormenting of them is ascending into Ages to-Ages.

Kindgdom Bible Studies Savior of the World Series Part 1
Chapter 14
The Unpardonable Sin

What is the unpardonable sin? Is there anyone reading these lines who has committed it, or might be in danger of committing it? The confusion on this subject is due largely to a failure to harmonize all scriptures. Men are so prone to blindly accept any error in either translation or interpretation, even though many other plain statements of the Word of God affirm the exact opposite.
We need to search the scriptures prayerfully and reverently, on bended knee beseeching the blessed Holy Spirit of truth for illumination and understanding. With the aid of the anointing we need to weed out the errors and empty imaginings of men. Men are so irresponsible, especially preachers.

Let's look at that for just a moment. The religious rulers were not in danger of committing the unpardonable sin because they said that Jesus performed miracles by the power of the devil. That is not the condemnation. He says that ALL BLASPHEMIES shall be forgiven men.
There is not a sin that you committed yesterday but what if you come to Christ today He would forgive you and accept you. His mercies are higher than the heavens.

What then was their problem? They were expressing an attitude of unbelief which was persistent and calculated rejection of the activity of God toward them. They were resisting the Holy Spirit, striving against the influence of God acting upon their minds and hearts.
Notice that later on Stephen was brought before this same group, and he said to them the same thing the Lord Jesus had said: "You stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, you do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do you" (Acts 7:51). They were doing the same thing their fathers had done. In Christ's day they were resisting the Holy Spirit, and the same condition exists today - they are still resisting the Holy Spirit!

Last edited:
Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reminds me of St Stephen in Acts 7 when he accused the corrupt murderous Judean rulers of resisting the Holy Spirit. Makes me wonder if they even know what that was?
Resisting the Holy Spirit is not unforgivable. Saul (later Paul) was in that company and when he repented, he became the Apostle Paul.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe the sin against the Holy Spirit is refusing to accept Jesus Christ as your savior. That is the only unforgivable sin.
That is not BLASPHEMY agaisnt the Holy Spirit. When one repents from even decades of refusing our Lord and His salvation, he will be forgiven.

Anyone who commits Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit can never be forgiven, no matter how bad they want to repent.

Matthew 12:31
“Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven.

Mark 3:29
but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin”—

Luke 12:10
And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him.
So once you have done that, there is no going back.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That is not BLASPHEMY agaisnt the Holy Spirit. When one repents from even decades of refusing our Lord and His salvation, he will be forgiven.

Anyone who commits Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit can never be forgiven, no matter how bad they want to repent.

Matthew 12:31
“Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven.

Mark 3:29
but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin”—

Luke 12:10
And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him.
So once you have done that, there is no going back.

Im sorry I wasn't clear on what I meant. I meant never accepting Jesus as your savior. Not just refusing temporarily but never accepting Jesus as your savior. That is the unforgivable sin.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Resisting the Holy Spirit is not unforgivable. Saul (later Paul) was in that company and when he repented, he became the Apostle Paul.

I meant never accepting Jesus as your savior. Not refusing temporarily but refusing your entire life. That is the unforgivable sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Im sorry I wasn't clear on what I meant. I meant never accepting Jesus as your savior. Not just refusing temporarily but never accepting Jesus as your savior. That is the unforgivable sin.
No - that is unforgiven sin. Not the same thing.
Unforgiven can be remitted if you repent; but unforgivable cannot.

• Agree
Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How can you repent if you never accept Jesus as your savior?
Repentance necessarily precedes salvation.
The ability to do so is called Prevenient Grace.

Mark 1:15
and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.”​

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I agree with what Dave said above.

I think there are a couple of other verses in the Bible that help us understand what Jesus is saying.

Heb.6:
4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

1 Jn.5:16 KJV
If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

I think these two scriptures also speak or a sin against the Holy Spirit, a blaspheme against the Holy Spirit that can't be forgiven. Its not a sin against Jesus or to blaspheme Jesus! Jesus is being very positive, ever sin is forgiven. We all need to emphases over and over that every sin will be forgiven. I dare say none of us have seen or heard this sin happen. We have heard Jesus' name disrespected and used as a swear word over and over and that isn't this sin.
If a person is concern if they have committed this sin, I'm 100% sure they have not committed it.

Thanks my thoughts.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Sin....I am a MASSIVE sinner. And also, I do, sometimes, believe that God can not forgive me again and again! I know I am wrong but I am human and weak in mind, body and spirit.

My priest said to me that I have to believe that God forgives me.

• Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My priest said to me that I have to believe that God forgives me.
Indeed you do.

If you DON'T believe that, you are calling Jesus a liar.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Indeed you do.

If you DON'T believe that, you are calling Jesus a liar.

Exactly. That is what my priest said!

I always feel utterly unworthy to be forgiven after continuing to sin the Same sins for a few years (Adultery)

• Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I always feel utterly unworthy to be forgiven after continuing to sin the Same sins for a few years (Adultery)
I understand. BUT - what did our Lord tell Peter?

Matt 18:21 Then Peter came and said to Him, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times?” 22 Jesus *said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.​

The Luke 17 account adds "in a day." So we are expected to forgive a brother 490 times A DAY for the same offense. How much MORE does God forgive us??? Have you committed adultery 490 times in a single day?

I would like to add the feeling of being unworthy is normal and human. But the devil likes to take that feeling and tell us it is the truth. A feeling is just a feeling. When you cannot get past it, it means you are listening to the "accuser of the brethren," satan himself. It is called condemnation; but Paul tells us in Romans 8 that there is no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus. So the feelings are nothing more than a lie. Fake news.

Who are you going to believe, God or the devil?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Exactly. That is what my priest said!

I'm glad I'm not the only one with that problem. But we should remember what Jesus said about the tax collector and the Pharisee who prayed to God.

“Then Jesus told this story to some who had great confidence in their own righteousness and scorned everyone else: “Two men went to the Temple to pray. One was a Pharisee, and the other was a despised tax collector. The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed this prayer: ‘I thank you, God, that I am not like other people—cheaters, sinners, adulterers. I’m certainly not like that tax collector! I fast twice a week, and I give you a tenth of my income.’ “But the tax collector stood at a distance and dared not even lift his eyes to heaven as he prayed. Instead, he beat his chest in sorrow, saying, ‘O God, be merciful to me, for I am a sinner.’ I tell you, this sinner, not the Pharisee, returned home justified before God. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.””
‭‭Luke‬ ‭18:9-14‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Sure we should always work toward bettering ourself and refraining from sin but we will always fail. I think the important thing is that we never stop trying and we always confess our sins. We should never use the excuse that we will always sin to allow ourselves to keep living a sinful life. I believe there is a difference between living a sinful life and committing sin. It's a fine line that to me really seems undefined. Where do we draw the line between knowing if we are living a sinful life or we are trying our best not to sin but still failing? I still don't know the answer to that one.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I understand. BUT - what did our Lord tell Peter?

Matt 18:21 Then Peter came and said to Him, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times?” 22 Jesus *said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.​

The Luke 17 account adds "in a day." So we are expected to forgive a brother 490 times A DAY for the same offense. How much MORE does God forgive us??? Have you committed adultery 490 times in a single day?

I would like to add the feeling of being unworthy is normal and human. But the devil likes to take that feeling and tell us it is the truth. A feeling is just a feeling. When you cannot get past it, it means you are listening to the "accuser of the brethren," satan himself. It is called condemnation; but Paul tells us in Romans 8 that there is no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus. So the feelings are nothing more than a lie. Fake news.

Who are you going to believe, God or the devil?

Yes I agree that satan will try to trick us sometimes by using our guilt to keep us away from God. There were times when I had sinned and felt so guilty that I was too ashamed to pray to God and ask for forgiveness. I think it's very important that we fight thru that feeling and confess to God. Don't let satan trick you into thinking you are too unworthy to ask for forgiveness. He doesn't want us to confess our sins. He wants to put a barrier between us and God. If we are humble before God He will make us righteous. If we act like we are righteous before God He will humble us.

Reactions: Goatee
Upvote 0